Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No way that’s Hank. Not one mention of propane and propane accessories.

I love King of the Hill, but not sure about a long movie of it. I think they only had handful of multi part episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Chazelle rules. All 3 films are good stuff so far, and this one looks like a lot of fun. Also like how he has constant collaboration with same composer.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Check out some nic cage clips from Vampires kiss. I want all of that energy in this new one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I keep reading good things about Bad Lieutenant, I need to watch that one finally.

The combo of watching Mandy and Pig sold me on cage again and got me to go back and watch many of his older films.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah anyone who doubts Cage’s chops needs to watch the movies listed above, but also and most importantly: Leaving Las Vegas.

For my part I’ve never seen Wild at Heart.

I quite enjoyed Wild at Heart. It’s pretty ridiculous and has Lynch portraying his love for the wizard of Oz in the open. Cage gets to sing and fight and wear a crazy snake skin jacket that apparently her picked out himself.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m kind of surprised the Soviet film industry never detonated one for a movie to show up Hollywood.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if you are the gulf

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Violins are edgy.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looks like a Sega Genesis game, but with the 32x adapter. And a game genie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They can pull off the no ads in Japan, but globally I’m sure will require trailers to bring people in.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Same, if it helps Miyazaki himself seems unsure about the whole no ads thing. At least there’s quotes like that

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I can't wait to watch this on an airplane

Ha this is 100% where i watched the first aquaman. Was a solid plane movie. I should continue the tradition

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It’s been a good few years of Cage. Looks fun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He was doing his share of Bruce Willis junk a few years ago. I watched many of these and definitely were ones where he did a day of shooting at most. See jujitsu for example ha.

Glad he’s out of that now though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Replace all child actors with Ai. But robot ones, like from the movie Ai. Not just lame digital inserts.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Furiosa looks like a lot of fun. I’m reading that book about the production of fury road currently, and maybe they went a simpler path for this one vs the hell that everyone hated in fury road.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cool comparison, didn’t realize how it changed

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
3000 years of longing was good stuff. Giant Idris Elbis. Everyone wins. That movie did have lots of good looking cg too.

BonoMan posted:

That's also a comic con fist look. Not an official trailer.

This thread loves to claim trailers are just showing temp CG but that's absolutely the exception and not the rule. When it comes to trailer production they will pick shots to be in the trailer and then send those through priority VFX and then that's often the final shot seen in the film. *Sometimes* they will have time to go through and fix the rush job but that's not very often (at least in my experience).

That makes sense, rushing the vfx for a trailer scene, but do they not do the same to for a major publicity event like comic con?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Beyond thunderdome gave us a thunderdome with the simplest rule of “two man enter, one man leave.” So as a film it’s an important cultural milestone.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe Garland just doesn’t understand or feel like understanding American politics. Gotta cash in on an upcoming election.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Asking about politics doesn’t seem crazy for a movie about a civil war, an event based on political differences. It not an alien attack movie where we just want to see cool ships explode. The whole intent of a modern civil war movie is prey on our political beliefs. So asking questions seems kind of like the expected result.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, you don't ask "political questions" about alien invasion movies, because they show up, want Earth's poo poo, and are willing to kill for it. They can be political and jingoistic movies but the political motives of the aggressor are pretty easy to suss out.

Whereas a movie about an American Civil War encourages the question "how did it get to this point? What factors contributed to this?" Nobody is asking that about the Zargons from Planet Alpha or w/e.

Right, agree with this. Yes we can talk about the political ideology of most films, but politics is front and center for civil wars. That’s its main thing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We just need more purge movies instead.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Alien 3 is honestly just pretty boring. Opening few minutes are solid, but then you spend an hour with Ripley trying to determine if there is an alien when we already know there is one. So best you get is her interacting with prisoners with outside of Dance is pretty dull too. And then it’s all brown hallways.

Covenant at least gets alien stuff going right away and then gives you two robot bros to hang with.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Source Code vs Deja Vu, who takes the win of these time travel mystery romances.

Probably Deja Vu for me as Denzel is having more fun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Beekeeper, Monkey Man, what other cool animal action movie we getting this year?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The quiet premise felt at its limits for me by the end of the first film. It was fun enough but then they kept making more movies. Never saw the second one.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I gotta give them props for literally doing Sonic 3 & Knuckles with the series.

Hopefully we can connect the blu rays in a giant stack, and then use said stack to insert knuckles into the first film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Twisters is directed by the guy who did Minari. What a shift. Though I guess has farms in common.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Can’t twisters feel as dangerous in a post Sharknado world

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I haven't got the hype for Horizon, but I guess we could use another western or two.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

BonoMan posted:

I love Westerns but at this stage you really better be coming with something different. Maybe the story is there and I just don't know yet. I hope so! But even visually it doesn't seem to impress that much.

I was trying to think of different things but yeah so much has been done.

Kung Fu western? Shanghai Noon.
Time travel western? Back to the future 3.
Aliens western? Cowboys vs aliens or maybe even Prey (though too early in time I guess).

I guess always multiverse western or John wick western.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Coens True Grit is good stuff and surprisingly their highest grossing film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Fall guy, free guy, nice guys. How many films in guy universe.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

kiimo posted:

hey I worked on all these!

Nice Guys is the best.

Wow the First Guy is here with us. Good stuff all around.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJuNHOd8Dw

We're totally gonna use the robot this time, we promise!

Good trailer, looks full of action and fun stuff.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looks like usual Star Wars. "Someone is attacking Jedi, it doesn't make sense!" Pretty sure that happens in every Star Wars.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Furiosa looks like a lot of fun. George Miller films are always a little weird at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I don't know if Miller has ever done a cash grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Monkey Man looks hype. Some solid action films coming out in the next few months