Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

There is no Predator trailer yet. There's just a mishmash of a ton of potentials, all with graphics so rough you'll think you're playing Tron.

That didn't stop Skyscraper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm guessing beep boop bourgeoisie reasons, but VIP theaters are great. Motherfucking assigned seating, beer at my seat, and no goddamn kids. The general public movie going experience has become so annoying that I'll only see movies in the theater at 19+ cinemas now. Otherwise, I just wait and watch it at home.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I went to an Alamo Drafthouse in Houston (or maybe it was Katy...somewhere around Houston, at least) in December because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I guess from various things I'd heard, I had it built up in my head as the ultimate theater experience. But honestly it wasn't anything special. It didn't have reclining seats, there didn't seem to be anything notable about the screen over other theaters, their system for ordering food was loving archaic, etc. I wasn't impressed at all. I've been to at least a handful of theaters not named Alamo Drafthouse that impressed me way more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Denzel Washington is about five years older than Edward Woodward was when he was the Equalizer but looks nearly 20 years younger.

Looks like a combination of 21st century wig technology and VFX de-aging techniques, as well as the lack of English drinking habits.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Everyone knows it's supermechagodzilla anyway

SHUT THE gently caress UP DON'T SUMMON HIM

he's like Candyman or Beetlejuice...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
a lot of people haven't seen the movie yet

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 1, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

TY and apologies for the rudeness, I haven't seen it yet and that was a little spoiler-y. Just now looking at cinema news sites and it seems that every single one is mentioning that in the titles of their articles so I'm going to avoid my usual online footpath for the next few days.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/991106838983655424

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I said it was a "legit funny and good movie" i think. I was watching the dailies. Never trust the dailies. Peter Dinklage in particular was cracking me up I think.

At first I thought you were still talking about The Predator and my brain began short circuiting trying to parse a shirtless Dinklage fighting a Predator in brutal hand-to-hand combat. And this is after seeing him play a giant alien blacksmith.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Escape From Planet Earth had to bring Jessica Alba in for a day to do fake ADR because she usually has a sound alike do everything after a certain point but EPK unit needed the footage for behind the scenes and they forgot to shoot her out when she was doing the first round of lines.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Yeah when a teaser is getting close and everyone agrees to go with it (filmmakers are involved in these meetings so they know what to expect) then you go through all the shots and make a list and send it to editorial for them to finish. Whether they actually get around to it or not depends on the production. Some directors / editors understand how important it is. Some others consider themselves auteurs above all that marketing nonsense and will get around to your shots when the film's shots they are working on are done, if ever.

These people are affectionately known in the industry as "soon to be out of work morons".

Not to discount what you're saying here because this obviously does happen a lot, but sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that in the editing room.

When a show in getting down to the wire and there are concerns with the edit there's almost certainly a budget crunch happening because of reshoot overages or editorial extensions, etc.. Sometimes the creatives have an issue with greenlighting an expensive VFX shot for a trailer that they think might end up getting cut out of the film, then losing the money for a shot they really want but may not be budgeted. In those cases poo poo is usually spiralling out of control very quickly and it's just a cacophony of piss all over the place.

Sometimes it all works out and you get a Fury Road or a Logan. But unfortunately the majority of the time you get a 47 Ronin.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I mean, you do have the contributions of Ryan Reynolds though, which is significant.

Hmm one wonders why Tim Miller didn't direct Deadpool 2 haha

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Why does everyone think Cavill is the villian? Granted, I haven't read poo poo about the plot, but even though that bathroom scene is cut to look like it's him and Hunt fighting, if you watch close they're actually beating up a bunch of Asian dudes. Feels to me like they're pulling the same schtick they did with Renner's character and he's going to be part of the team next movie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dude can join the line at the unemployment office behind the guy that uploaded the dry Mummy trailer

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just a reminder that poo poo garbage film Crash won best picture in 2006 against Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich. It's very easy to split the vote amongst a bunch of better films so that the lovely one ends up winning.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

Jesus Christ, that was amazing. And poor DDL having no idea what to do.

It would have been great study material if his next method acting gig was playing a coke fiend.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have it on good authority that Godzilla has been a nightmare to work on because the director just lets the camera roll all day without cutting hoping to mine gold out of 15 hours of tire fire footage a day and editorial / VFX are quitting left right and center.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Looks pretty good, though Robert Rodriguez will always give me pause

My hot take is that Rodriguez has never made a good film, and Dusk 'Til Dawn doesn't count because Tarantino directed half of it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Hey editors, Robert Etoll retired and sold his library for millions of dollars and I’m in the wrong section of this business.

If it's any consolation, we pass around copies of the Q-Factory library like the town bike. I don't know anyone that's paid for it in years.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Studios.

Man I can't even get them to pay for a Basehead license

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've seen it.
The first 30 minutes or so of dancing before it all goes bad are great. Kinda makes me want him to try a story that doesn't end up in spectacular misery.

That's like trying to find a Lars Von Trier film that doesn't brutalize the female protagonist.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a first-look trailer for Star Wars: Resistance if it's suitable for this thread.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1030469299691970560

How does this look worse than Titan A.E. ?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hakkesshu posted:

Viggo Mortensen is slowly morphing into William Forsythe.

I would 100% watch an Out For Justice remake with Viggo as Richie Madano.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Michael Shannon.

:getin:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I assume everyone is talking about this?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1003996810749173762

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Identity was good until the reveal, but I stopped giving a gently caress about the characters after that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hat Thoughts posted:

wtf is up w/ the saturation & sharpness on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV03zjNVRdc

Looks like a first time D.O.P. plus a really lovely colorist/post house. Post by Sugar Studios in LA, website down because bandwidth exceeded. A good sign.

Does John Cho owe gangsters money or something? This, Searching, and Caller ID: Entity make for a pretty lovely trilogy of garbage.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

You guys are gonna love the next movie Alien Dogs V Predator Dogs

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Jason Reitman film about Hugh Jackman as an 80's presidential candidate swept up in the rise of tabloid journalism or w/e.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAOYDcnVx6E

It's the story of Gary Hart and it makes me feel old that his name isn't instantly recognizable. They made fun of him in MAD magazine all the time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Quite a difference from Huge Jacked Man

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The long-standing rumor is that he's functionally illiterate, hence the lack of projects that are willing to hire him

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just cuz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDn71Aqt71M

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Peccadillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D3_PMP8W4E
Finally, I feel like I've been seeing the set pictures for a hundred years

Martin Lawrence looking swole(len)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Weed mug guy from Cabin in the Woods and Alyson Hannigan's mom (blacklist that makeup artist) in a movie that's so indie it's not even on IMDB?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

bows1 posted:

Whats with the 4:5 aspect ratio?

Imax / Someone hosed up the online / "artistic choice"

fake edit - Apparently it signifies something, it's revealed in the first episode

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

the_american_dream posted:

Surely that’s not dick van dyke actually dancing

There is a TON of face replace going on in features right now and Disney & ILM are getting very, very good at it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hedenius posted:

This is certainly one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxlQHlKlHTw

How long until these guys get sued by Bronson's estate?

Also, who gives people money to make movies this bad? I've always been curious.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I feel like that would be a genuinely hairy situation, because they didn't make up Robert Bronzi to look like that, and aside from casting him in a role Bronson would play, they're not really leaning into it too hard. Dude is just legitimately a loving dead ringer for 70s Bronson, to the point where I did a serious double-take and thought they were using archive footage.

Well, they are calling the movie Death Kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

QuoProQuid posted:

House of Cards is a bad, bad show but I can appreciate Netflix not firing a bunch of people and letting the writers provide some closure.

Anyways, here's Holmes and Watson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKU-T7_rDA

Oh my god that powder explosion from Action Essentials 2 720p. Who looks at that and signs off below "ok to air".

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 29, 2018