Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My favorite Michaels!

I heard about this a while back, but I'd completely forgotten about it in the meantime. Looks like it could be good, but I'll watch Michael Shannon be a creepy weirdo in just about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dogtooth and Killing of a Sacred Deer both rule. I think the Lobster is my favorite out of the three since it's the funniest, but they're all pretty great. Haven't seen Alps yet, but I've also heard it's kind of meh.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Disney wants to appeal to new audiences, not just people in their 20's or 30's who have already seen all their movies. I haven't seen any of their other live-action remakes and I'm not planning on seeing this one, but I can certainly see why a 5 year old kid in 2018 would want to. I wouldn't expect most young kids to really give a poo poo about all my favorite movies that came out decades before they were born.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A movie having a dumb premise doesn't really mean much to me either way. Although I wouldn't even really say this has a dumb premise, at least not noticeably more-so than most other horror movies.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

The tone of this is completely bizarre.

I love bizarre tones and tonal whiplash, especially when it’s about true events. Besides I thought Bundy was supposed to be reasonably charismatic and charming, so it doesn’t really seem that weird to me in the first place.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

I agree with you guys who are saying they're going for the "Ted Bundy was a charmer" route. I just don't think the trailer is particularly successful. I think the biggest problem is that the music is terrible. It sounds like the soundtrack that should play during a movie about a zany heist.

Yeah, I can see that. I didn't particularly care for the music choice and the editing for the text. I liked what it showed of the actual movie though. I've always been a fan of Zac Efron for some reason I don't fully comprehend, so I've been looking forward to this one.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think it’s mostly his hair and clothes that are throwing me off. I don’t think his face looks any more photoshopped than Leo’s.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Hola, goons! Can you show me where we need to click below to play the new trailer I posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTtJjV852c

I was slightly too old to be much of a Dora fan when it first started, but I’m kind of into this. I already knew about Benicio Del Toro and Danny Trejo doing voices but I had no idea Michael Pena was in this too!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Didn't really get a whole lot out of this, but I'm a Barry Keoghan fan and I also really enjoy reading about radiation sickness, so I'll probably give it a watch.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 28, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez, Iggy Pop, Sara Driver, RZA, Selena Gomez, Carol Kane, Austin Butler, Luka Sabbat, Tom Waits, and Daniel Craig in a Jim Jarmusch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5ZOcU6Bnw

If there's anyone who could get me to watch a zombie movie in 2019 it would be Jim Jarmusch.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't care about Joker or Batman or any other freakin comic book poo poo, but Joaquin Phoenix rules hard, so I'll watch it. If it was literally anyone else I doubt I would even slightly care about this. Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron are cool too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

morestuff posted:

Oh cool, new Winding Refn!

Oh no, it's a 10-episode TV show!

Oh cool, it was written by Ed Brubaker!

Oh no!!!!!:

That was a rollercoaster. I like Refn but I don't know.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Less is more. Except all the times it isn't. But I've never liked Miles Teller, so it's true in his case.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Farrier Theaks posted:

I agree with you on Phoenix going the distance and always being watchable, but didn't he do some over-the-top-Kaufman poo poo for I'm Still Here?

Yeah, and a lot of people somehow genuinely believed that he'd gone crazy, quit acting, and decided to be a terrible rapper.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He did, but he also had Casey Affleck following him around with a camera the entire time, so it wasn't exactly a mystery what he was doing. Why he did it, I'm not really sure, but I haven't seen I'm Still Here so maybe it's actually good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Oh, I should check it out at some point then. I remember it being rather poorly received, although it seemed a lot of the bad reception was because people were mad about him not being upfront that it was a character and stuff was staged. Even though that was the obvious conclusion.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've decided to just watch whatever Kristen Stewart does even if it doesn't look super interesting because I love her and she is mega cool. Laura Dern rules too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

punch drunk posted:

I liked Whiplash a lot but really wished it was someone besides Miles Teller. Something about him really rubs me the wrong way and even though I like Refn a lot I'm not sure I can watch this much of Miles.

The guy’s face just annoys me. I have a very visceral dislike towards it. He’s a good enough actor though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Ah. I call that the Paul Dano Effect.

Undeniably talented, I enjoy everything he does, I just wanna shove his smug face through a window.

Dano’s got a weird face but I think it works for him.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's never going to get more mad than Dexter, which started with Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter getting into a relationship while playing siblings onscreen and ended with the writers trying to add an incest storyline between their characters after the two of them had divorced.

I remember reading about Dexter getting all incesty but that was long after I stopped watching it. I know the characters weren’t actually biologically related, but if that’s the best defense you have maybe just don’t do it. I didn’t know that about the actors though, that’s loving weird.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m not into splitting hairs, I consider hooking up with your adopted sibling that you’ve been raised with since a young age to still be incest, but maybe I’m just behind the times.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Deakul posted:

Looks very pretty but, once again, a trailer with no characters actually talking to eachother... weird choice.

That's how it's going to be in the movie. Every time a character opens its mouth to start talking they just cut to a voiceover played over some nature documentary stock footage.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Did they replace Marge with a robot?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I liked that they got a creepy weird looking dude to play the space action man. I also just like DeHaan in general and find Chris Pratt to be off-putting in basically everything outside of Parks & Rec. Actually, a fair amount of Parks & Rec too now that I'm thinking about it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

This is sick.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ruddiger posted:

The Mountain - no idea, but its got Jeff Goldblum and Udo Kier, and it's directed by the guy who did the Tim Heidecker movie, The Comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCTxoXx-H8

This is rad.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like it.

I guess Tiffany Haddish is just playing herself then?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks great except for the 'inspirational' music. Hopefully that's just for the trailer.

Anyone know what's happening with that semi-autobiographical Shia movie where he plays his own dad or something? I remember that getting good buzz, but it seems to have gone quiet this year.

It’s apparently been picked up by Amazon with a release date in November.

I’m a pretty big Shia fan. I watch his “DO IT! JUST DO IT!” video on a regular basis. Probably my favorite work of his.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Well, at least it got Bad Lieutenant right.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m the weirdo who really likes “Honor To Us All”.

I like that and "A Girl Worth Fighting For", but that one's mostly because it's a happy Disney song that abruptly ends when they discover all their comrades dead bodies.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can't quite decide, but I think the Rebel Wilson cat is the best/worst part of the trailer.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

But, it's like, have you seen the original CATS? This isn't a Sonic situation here, the originals CATS was weird as poo poo too.

Everything about CATS, top to bottom, is messed up. Even the names sound wrong. “Jellicles” and “Rum Tum Tugger”? Everything about it is immediately offputting in a way I can’t quite articulate.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought he was a loving delight in velvet buzzsaw, i wanted more out of the film but id watch a (hilarious) show that was just that guy being that guy. He's funny as gently caress in it.

Nightcrawler is probably my fave performance of his, although I'm also a big Detective Loki fan. I didn't care a whole lot for Velvet Buzzsaw overall but I would absolutely watch something just about Morf.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Plagiarizing isn’t cool, but plagiarizing your apology for plagiarizing is pretty funny.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

No, that actually seems to be Werner Herzog.

I’m assuming this is another Jack Reacher situation where the producers are like “You know who would be sick in this role? Werner Herzog!“ as a joke, but then someone calls him up and he’s just like “yeah ok”

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

davidspackage posted:

On this site alone there's tons of times I've seen someone post "so-and-so is a JERK" and when they get pressed on their reasons, it's something like "I caught them on the way out of a theater and they were VERY distracted and would not pose for a picture with me"

The only "celebrity x is an rear end in a top hat" complaints that I pay attention to are if they're rude to the crew. I don't give a poo poo if they don't want to talk to some random stranger on the street.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Most of the bad reviews I've read for Jojo Rabbit are either against the very concept of the movie, which I don't care about at all, or actually read like positive reviews, so I'm looking forward to it even more now.

The Lighthouse is absolutely going to rule though, gently caress I want to see that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shageletic posted:

loooooooooool

:siren: :siren:

The sun was intensifying above Gaghan’s deck. The director is an unlikely picture of domestic repose these days.. His is a house where a volume of “My Struggle” sits next to a child’s sink kick-stand.

:siren: :siren:

Are we talking My Struggle by the Norwegian dude? Or, uh, the Austrian one?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It would be better if the cats all wore clothes. The James Corden cat in a shirt and suit jacket but no pants is very disturbing. It's all so obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Man, I loving love Toxic.