Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

maybe the movie will feature the weird al version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pretty sure that the result would be mass starvation due to supply chains being unable to adjust to a doubling of the population overnight and a catastrophic housing shortage.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's been years since I read the book. Was Bev going back to her house in the book or are you referring to a different part?

Either way it looks pretty great.

Bev going back to her house is in the book and it looks like they kept most of the dialogue too (“my fadder joined the circus”). It’s a genuinely unsettling sequence that slowly reveals itself

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 10, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Retrowave Joe posted:

IIRC the first Zombieland movie was roughly the first few episodes of the show they wanted to do in the first place.

The story is that the writers wanted to do a zombie television series and wrote a spec TV pilot for CBS in 2005. CBS expressed some interest but ultimately never moved forward with filming because they thought it would be too expensive. They then pitched it to Sony TV whose executives were receptive but suggested the project would work better as a made-for-TV movie that could serve as a backdoor pilot to a larger series. They redeveloped the script as a made-for-TV movie, which Sony TV held onto for a few years before sending it back with the suggestion that they redevelop that script as a feature film for Sony Pictures.

A lot of the weirder elements from the film were written with a television series in mind. If I remember correctly, each episode was meant to open with a "Zombie Kill of the Week" and end with Eisenberg's character learning another rule for zombie survival. The biggest change from the TV script to the final film was giving the characters a specific destination instead of having them just wander aimlessly.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

As I've always said, plagiarism is the sincerest form of artistic flattery.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The other clown movie coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSOt0Ks97_E

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

so, did goons also have problems with the favourite for having “women [...] desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit”

i’ve heard a lot of film criticism but “these characters are bad people!!” is definitely, uh, a new one

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 16, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Habemus Papam

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdvNxBtWuo

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

From the studio that brought you Coco, it’s... Coco.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

How many more movies can we make based around the central conceit of “Bond is an aging Cold War relic”?

Eventually, Eon has to do something different, right?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Polo-Rican posted:

Why are they still making these

Merchandise and branding?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Didn't the guy who write this fake having a brain tumor, fake a doctorate from Oxford, impersonate his brother, and steal large parts of the plot for "Woman in the Window" from the 1995 movie "Copycat"?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

LifeLynx posted:

Oh wow. This could be good... but the trailer doesn't say much except it's clearly about racism (like most Lovecraft stories, but clearly in the opposite way Lovecraft would have done, the racist rear end). Can't wait to see more though.

It's a very good book. Most of the chapters center on a different member of the central family dealing with some horror trope and the menace of racism, with the beginning and ending wrapping it together in one neat package. It does a nice job of skewering Lovecraft and inverting his storytelling.

Very interested in seeing what Peele does with it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Not liking Hamilton is perfectly acceptably (it has its issues, especially as it pertains to how little attention it gives to slavery and the genocide of Native Americans), but it will never not be funny to me that a lot of goons, C-SPAM people in particular, adored the musical when they first heard about it in 2015 and then did a complete 180 when the show achieved mainstream popularity.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

get ready for the one flew over the cuckoo's nest expanded universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9ZtlkSnnE

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The style's great but giving Nurse Ratched a complex and dramatic backstory flies directly in the face of the source material.

Then again, I don't think Netflix cares and it could be fun if Ryan Murphy just lets it descend into campy dark comedy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

feedmyleg posted:

New Charlie Kaufman joint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTg62vsV4U

Looks pretty goddamn nutso in the best way.

This looks so fantastic that I'm going to order the book it's based on.

Also, a teaser for Zola (the movie based off a 148-part Twitter thread):

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1291388616451686404

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

"Murder was just the beginning" is such a weird tag line.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Maybe I'm not the target audience, but this trailer struck me as unintentionally very funny. It's just so over-the-top mournful.

blast0rama posted:

Here's the official upload, if you want it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6512XKKNkU

The Batman panel coming up at 8:30 Eastern, probably getting some sort of video then.

I... thought this was a fan trailer based on the music

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Dillbag posted:

IIRC Matt Reeves or maybe Pattinson has hinted the movie deals with Bruce Wayne being a depressed and mentally fragile person who becomes the Batman as a way to deal with trauma rather than just being a Punisher-who-doesn't-kill-people masquerading as a womanizing playboy.

finally, a movie about a sad, brooding batman

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Happy Death Day was a very fun movie so I'm down for Vince Vaughn playing both a high school student and a serial killer.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Topical.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1312050339118448641

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the trailer is very paint-by-the-numbers: superficially serious, with a villain meant to make the woman who skins dogs seem sympathetic by comparison

the aesthetic strikes me as very hot topic

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i would be here for a disney villain movie but making them into sympathetic antiheroes is a cop-out

give me camp, disney. i want emma stone to play a character with zero redeeming qualities and for her to chew through the scenery as she attempts to murder some puppies

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BonoMan posted:

I mean that seems to be totally what this is. She doesn't appear sympathetic at all. She seems evil straight from the get-go.

idk. seems like the trailer is setting up for cruella to be some kind of impish but misunderstood outsider who doesn't play by the rules

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I actually quite like the simplified art style.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The poster for this is nice but the trailer leaves me extremely underwhelmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lagauhb5GyY

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Vincent posted:

Wonder if this is gonna be in the Marylin movie.

https://twitter.com/wrong_rae/status/1549399420269101062

If this is what I think it is a take on the first act of Dracula it looks really interesting, but the fact that it's directed by LaBute (same director as Cage's Wickerman) makes me think it's not gonna be good.

im always extremely skeptical of these stories about marilyn monroe because they are so outrageously over the top and seem deliberately crafted to reinforce an image of her as a stupid hick

like, i have no doubt that she had bad habits but i cannot imagine a woman in hollywood would survive if she was known for walking in soiled clothing AND being unable to maintain a home AND never bathing AND having IBS.

e: also i just checked the sourced book on the Internet Archive and, unless the search functionality is broken, none of those quotes appear anywhere in there

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 2, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

precision posted:

we truly live in a post-truth society. we need to get to the bottom of this. did marilyn monroe fart or not????????

probably, friend.

hope this helps u

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

trailer looks better than I would have expected, except for the CGI that they’re using for the animatronics which looks exceptionally terrible

live with fruit posted:

The bad guys are the ghosts of abducted children? And they want to abduct a child?

It looks to me like a misdirect in that the animatronics are probably trying to save the leads from serial killer Matthew Lillard

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

kiimo posted:

They built the animatronics

oh, my bad. they just look... very weird and out of place. idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yeah, either everything needs to look cheap, ratty, and corroded or it needs to look intentionally goofy and stylized