Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Knight Rider reboot looking sound, but I still miss the car.

Huh, it's Knight Rider combined with M.A.N.T.I.S.. Or a remake of The Tuxedo if you're so inclined. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

RIP old thread, OP should have mentioned that this subject has an inexplicable ability to make goons fight with each other.

No it doesn't :mad:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So James Franco can still have a career after all the recent sexual abuse allegations against him, huh?

It may have been in the can for a while, googling shows that Milla Jovovich, Lucy Liu and Snoop Dogg were announced as co-stars back in May 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I have to admit I like the "I've got a really good feeling about this!" line, it's a great way to do a callback to an iconic line but also show how different the character is at this point in his life and hint that he's going to experience some hosed up stuff that'll change his views about life sometime soon. A whole bunch of the other lines ("If you come with us, you're in this life for good") seem really forced and bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

So the new Jurassic World trailer is out. It looks embarrassing.

Like, I get it. A lot of people are going to dig this. It's The Fast and the Furious-ing of Jurassic Park. Those are very fun dumb movies that people dig. But to me it just feels like a total franchise-tone mismatch, even if JW did throw the whole thing down the toilet to begin with. But I was hoping a new director in the mix would help to course correct a bit. But instead they just went bigger, sillier, and dumber.

It's really weird that they end the trailer with the Indominus rex sneaking into the little girl's bedroom to menace her like we're supposed to go "OMG who will save her?" when an earlier part of the trailer already showed us that Owen and Blue come in to save her

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asiina posted:

The city I used to live in the regular theatre had recliner seats, maybe only 10 to a row and you could get alcohol, all reserved seating and you still paid the regular movie price so you could get that experience for like $9 on Tuesdays. Now I live in a larger city and the only theatre that does this considers it a "VIP Experience" so it costs $25.

LOL, I went to my local theater here in Australia to see Rampage a few days ago and the ticket cost me $22 plus $1.50 online booking fee. The screen had a wrinkle in the fabric which distracted me a bunch of times throughout the movie and it was auditorium seating so every time anyone in the room checked their phone there'd be a flash of light in the corner of my eye. Jokes on them though, I bought some candy at the supermarket for $2 and smuggled it in instead of paying $7 for the exact same product at the concession stand.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GoldStandardConure posted:

What cinema chain in Australia? I have very rarely had lovely technical problems with any of the cinemas I go to in Perth, crowds and ticket prices is another issue...

Hoyts. Also when I booked the ticket online the email didn't show the barcode so the guy checking tickets had to type the booking code in manually instead of just scanning my phone. :v:

I'm being a bit nitpicky though, usually the most annoying thing about going to the movies other than the cost of the tickets is that about 50% of the time someone will be sitting in your seat so you have to do the whole "Uh yeah I think that's my seat?" song and dance.

Edit: just to head off the inevitable question, every seat is assigned so if you just sit somewhere else then you'll just get kicked out by whoever booked that seat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deakul posted:

The Venom reveal looked so awful, the voice sounds super corny... I feel like it should be more raspy and almost Darkness Mike Patton-esque, and Tom Hardy sounds like he has has downs syndrome.

Venom's voice is about 40% Movie Trailer Guy and Brock's voice starts out with a smidgin of Elmer Fudd but gets Fuddier and Fuddier when he gets more panicky towards the end of the trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hype for that Challengers of the Unknown movie.

I'm hype for "Detective Chimp and the case of the Missing Moustache" and "Yawn of Justice"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, I don't exactly know what's worse, this or a $200 million Russel Crow flop, but one of them needs to tie into the recent King Arthur for Cinematic Universe appeal.

The script was originally written by Joby Harold, WB's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword writer. Lionsgate must have shat their pants when WB's King Arthur: LotS bombed so hard because this is so obviously in the same vein, right down to getting a British gangster director guy to helm it.

Kassad posted:

Robin Hood: Bruce Wayne meets Legolas.

Yeah when I saw the trailer I went "This isn't a Robin Hood film, it's Zorro with bows"

feedmyleg posted:

Well I give a poo poo about Robin Hood. As long as you make him a breezy, swashbuckling adventurer with an Eroll Flynn smile amd stay the gently caress away from darkness.

They've been very careful to assure people every chance they get that this will be nothing like those Errol Flynn movies:

quote:

Jamie Foxx had a clear message for the nation’s theater owners Thursday: his upcoming “Robin Hood” movie is plenty serious.

“There are no tights,” he asserted to the crowd at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. “This is grown-man business.”

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FoneBone posted:

[The Happytime Murders]

Holy poo poo it's finally happening!!! It was originally announced for January 2011 and there's old trailers online with "Coming Summer 2013."

Did anyone else think that the puppeteering didn't look all that great in the trailer or is it just me?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

It looked like pretty standard puppeteering to me. Maybe since the puppets are more interactive and out in the open (to sell the gag) they can't use a lot of the visual tricks they normally use?

The Muppet Movie came out 39 years ago and that was all interactive puppets out in the open and it looked WAY better.

A lot of these puppets seem to move reeeally stiffly, there's several shots where a character turns around and they just rotate on the spot like they're on a swivel. The puppeteering just felt ... unexpressive to me.

Eezee posted:

I think that would have worked much better if it was grittier. A dark comedy with the muppets could have been pretty neat, but some dude jizzing everywhere doesn't really work as a joke for me.
See if this works any better for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvXaj0HZgg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

Well given the content, maybe they had second rate puppeteers and puppet makers?

The weird thing is that it was directed by Brian Henson, co-produced by the Jim Henson Company and the puppets were made in the Jim Henson's Creature Shop so everything should have been top of the line. The lead puppet character also looks a lot more generic and cheaper than the version used in the old trailer I posted so maybe their budget was slashed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It really depends on how much a few black marks can ruin a mostly fantastic movie for you, and if you even notice or care about those black marks in the first place. There's also the fact that one of the big things is gonna play badly with X-Men fans and probably not make regular audiences bat an eye at all (Juggernaut's death is, uh, extremely undignified after the character not really getting a lot of screen time).

Juggernaut survived, you can just see him slowly starting to emerge from the pool as the heroes are walking away right at the end.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 19, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WarEternal posted:

Why does the "plot" for the dumb Muppet movie seem so familiar? Wasn't there an online short film that dumb people loved like 6-7 years ago that was very similar if not identical? I can't find it but I swear it was a thing.

Puppet cop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuefw_Yqmg

The other Puppet Cop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGIHMiOy4s

Puppet rapist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DD0pBgotC0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's PG-13 and Serkis has said that it will be "a lot darker" than the 2016 Disney film.

Yeah let's make a Jungle Book movie that you can't take young kids to, that's a brilliant business decision. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

*holds head and screams*

https://i.imgur.com/17lGs9s.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

Was that Hawk and Dove in the trailer too? I didn't recognize any of the other characters besides them and the main two.

Yep:

Cyborg was off limits because of the movies so I guess they replaced him with these guys

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw the Happyland Murders trailer in the cinema today (I know it's been around for a while - I haven't gone out of my way to watch it because it doesn't interest me) and I'm left wondering who the movie is supposed to be for.

Originally it was in the ballpark of Who Framed Roger Rabbit but with puppets instead of toons but then it got caught in development hell for years and years and its tone got changed to ... that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timeless Appeal posted:

Wait did we travel into the alternate universe where it's called the Second Great War?

I did a quick google and some people actually did call WW1 'The Great War' and WW2 'The Second Great War' as they were occurring.
These magazines were published during wartime:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

I recently read a book of newspaper cartoons by artist Bill Mauldin about the post war life for soldiers and they were calling it WWII in 1946.

Yeah that's why I said "some people actually did call WW1 'The Great War' and WW2 'The Second Great War' as they were occurring"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Taintrunner posted:

The military industrial complex became a thing after the Second World War. It was actually a big loving deal, to the point of President Eisenhower warning what a threat it was.

Don't forget that Marvel tried to partner up with defense contractor Northrop Grumman at Comic Con one year and were even going to publish a comic about a team called NGEN (Northrop Grumman Elite Nexus) who helped the Avengers
https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/marvel-ends-partnership-defense-contractor-northrop-grumman-1202583463/
https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-marvels-canceled-promo-comic-for-defense-contract-1819898744?IR=T

It was amazingly tone deaf

"Down with the man" :rolleyes:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 20, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham predates the Simpsons movie by 24 years

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

Aren't all the laborers replaced by machines in the story?

Yeah, John Henry had a race against a newfangled steam-powered rock drilling machine to prove that he was better than the machine. He beat it but his heart gave out just as he won.

In this version he was an emancipated slave and his wife had his slave chains forged into a hammer for him
https://vimeo.com/70969279

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, the comic was still a comedy, ya embarrassing nerd dopes (the folks making this).

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno if I’d call it closer to the source either, the source was pretty comical.

The original comics were pretty drat dark, most of the jokes were about Stanley going on a murder spree when he first gets the mask and cartoonishly slaughtering people he hated like the mechanics who ripped him off and the elderly teacher who used to humiliate him in school:

Also I'm guessing the fanfilm people don't have much of the special FX shots completed and that's were pretty much all the comedy would be happening. There's almost no comedy in the story except when the Mask is going nuts, Stanley's life is pretty sad and pathetic and the rest of the story is cops going "What the gently caress do we do???"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

live with fruit posted:

It's funny that when Disney first started digging up the corpses of their old properties, they at least tried to do something different with them. Burton's Alice was a sequel of sorts and Maleficent was a retelling. Then they realized that they didn't need to put in so much work.

They've been digging up those corpses for a long time, experimenting with different business models and seeing what would stick. Back in the 90s and 00s they pumped out dozens and dozens of cheap animated direct-to-DVD sequels to their classic movies which sound pretty awful (Cinderella 2?? Really??) but apparently sold millions upon millions of copies. They also went through a phase in the 90s of remaking some of their 'classic' live action films like That Darn Cat , Flubber, The Parent Trap, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Love Bug, etc. which were mostly pretty unsuccessful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

The prototype for all this is arguably Hook but it wasn't a Disney movie.

It was originally! Spielberg developed the project with Disney in the early 80s (and had plans to make it a musical starring Michael Jackson) but then it moved to Paramount, and then Spielberg dropped out, and then it moved to TriStar who convinced Spielberg to come back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's the only monster that can transform into a flying saucer.

Oh my goodness! I demand to speak with your Internet Posting manager at once, I demand a refund on this horrible Gamera-erasing post

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BlueBayou posted:

Why didn’t Peter know know Nick Fury was in the room? Doesn’t he have spidey sense

Spidey sense alerts him to danger, and Nick Fury wasn't intending to harm him.

Gravy Jones posted:

He doesn't in any meaningful way in Homecoming.

He senses the alien attack in Infinity War seconds before it starts so it looks like he's just starting to develop it at that point.
https://i.imgur.com/GSJ5nTS.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slutitution posted:

Do you know how many spiderman movies have been made in the last 20 years? Why are people still cumming in their pants for this poo poo?

A better question would be "Why the gently caress are Sony so desperate to keep people cumming in their pants for this poo poo?"

The first Raimi Spider-Man back in '02 was Sony's biggest hit ever at $403 million domestic. Their previous biggest hits were MIB in '97 ($250m), Ghostbusters in '84 ($229m) and Tootsie in '82 ($177m). Tootsie was a one off and the Ghostbusters and MIB sequels failed to recapture the lightning in the bottle but the Spider-Man sequels made $373m and $336m so Sony became loving obsessed with squeezing out as many Spider-Man movies as possible.

The '02 Spider-Man only got overtaken last Christmas by Sony's Jumanji 2 (and even then it only made $1 million more) so not only are they going to be pumping out Spider-Man sequels and spinoffs and prequels for the next 20 years, they'll be pumping out Jumanjis as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Accretionist posted:

Haha, yeah. It wasn't just his dog. His dying wife got him the dog -- as a going away present

Yeah she knew that leaving him alone would have been very very bad.

The note with the dog read "John, I'm sorry I can't be there for you. But you still need something, someone to love. So start with this. Because the car doesn't count. I love you John. This illness has loomed over us for a long time and now that I have found my peace, find yours. Until that day, your best friend, Helen."

Looking over it again I'm not 100% certain that "the illness" she refers to is her cancer or whatever the gently caress is going on in John's head.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jet sanchEz posted:

That Spiderman trailer has more than 130 million views in 24 hours....

Yeah but most of those views were probably from 4 year old children who were expecting Spidey to fart on Elsa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We went on a Big Lebowski bender in the "PYF Subtle Movie Moments" thread and holy gently caress there were a lot of subtle moments in that film. It's actual kind of insane how much stuff the Coens packed into it.

I'd love more Lebowski stuff (and John Turturro has been begging them to revisit his Jesus character for decades) but on the other hand if it's not working off a razor sharp script that Joel and Ethan have been honing for years then ... :shrug:

Edit: but then again, Netflix have been throwing money at them recently ....

clown shoes posted:

The Dude in a Super Bowl commercial is the ultimate sell out.

You don't have a frame of reference, you're out of your element. Shut the gently caress up, Clowny!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Idris Elba is the next step of human evolution because he doesn't need cars.

I'm calling it now: Idris Elba actually evolves into a sentient car by the end of the film

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Did they digitally... widen Will Smith?

Four months ago:

Intern: Hey the trailer for Alita: Battle Angel came out and Alita looks weird and not very human and everyone really loves it a lot ha ha
Director: Really? They love it? I thought it was weird looking, but you say the audience love it??
Intern: Uhhhhhhh you see, when I said they love it I was being sarcas~
Director: Get me the digital effects team on the line!!
Intern: No but I ...
Director: Throw out all those photorealistic effects we spent the last 12 months on! I want crappy weird effects on my desk first thing tomorrow!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

confused posted:

It is a definitely as strange thing to remake. George Clooney is no Orson Wells. However, it does have a solid cast. Casting Hugh Laurie is sheer brilliance. If there was ever someone who should be in an adaptation of Catch-22, it is Hugh Laurie. A modern day version might have been a more interesting take.

Just hire the entire Blackadder cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On the one hand there's nothing wrong with that shot (although I think it would have worked better if Magneto was on the right hand side of the screen and the giant empty space was above and in front of him rather than behind him) but on the other hand the direction of that scene was shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0TaOu6RHI

"Who the gently caress are you?" would have been a great line if it'd been handled better but loving hell does it land with a thud here, the timing was just woeful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

Don't fall asleep around white people.

Around crackers
Never relack.....ers

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Reminds me a lot of those terrible Attack of the Clones fake teasers cobbled together from bits and pieces of other movies and TV shows.

I liked the Thunder Cats fake trailer, it felt like a labour of love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQHwEJSZGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

They already did the live-action Pinocchio.

Disney actually have made a live action Pinocchio adaptation although it was just a TV movie. It starred Drew Carey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Brent Spiner, René Auberjonois and Usher!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RYvGX3Vgc