Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Overdose of bad exposition.

i kind of agree with this but also the cast and concept alone sold me so everything else was just gravy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

I love going to a theater with a beanie two-seater because then I can lie down while watching movies.

Content:
Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

Why has Amanda Seyfried never had bangs before? She looks like 10 years younger, and completely different.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm like 95% sure I know how this joke ends but i'm still gonna laugh my rear end off when it happens.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ah yes, I remember the Green Lantern movie that came out before Blade 3. Or was it the Green Lantern movie that came out before X-Men Origins: Wolverine...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it will probably be shorter than two and a half hours! that's a positive in my book.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

kiimo posted:

^^^^not soon. I'm testing some clips with focus groups and they are stunning.

I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-bid-fox-walt-disney-sky-murdoch-20180508.html

Comcast apparently trying to buy Fox instead of Disney now.

This ride is just getting started.

thanks donald trump, because of your clusterfuck of an administration I'm now convinced that no mergers will be denied unless the CEO of one or both companies comes out and calls you a little bitch boy personally

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

kiimo posted:

And sometimes your name is Gore and you decide well this production isn't enough work for me I'm also going to cut all the Trailers and TV spots and color and mix them myself. What's that you have a bunch of :20 TV spots for Korea? Send them my way.

every single story i've ever heard about Gore Verbinski makes me appreciate him more, but also understand why maybe studios don't want him making their blockbusters.

but he was completely correct about wanting to make a high budget R-rated Bioshock and someone should get back to him about that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spike Lee with a script by Jordan Peele: awesome
Topher Grace as David Duke: hilarious
"America First" chant: perfect

gimme this movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Driver will you be my best friend.

Also, that Queen movie is not going to be good I feel - they kicked off Sacha Baron Cohen because was wanting to explore the darker side of Freddie Mercury and instead went with a fun and happy angels view of things. At least those are the rumours. We'll see how it turns out.

that's the just beginning though. they then hired Bryan Singer who "mysteriously vanished" to help his mom inexplicably right around the time all the #MeToo accusations started happening so they fired him and then hired another guy, and then they pushed the release date up a month.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Timby posted:

At the time, Brian May--who has ordained himself the keeper of Mercury's legacy--wanted Mercury to die halfway through the movie and for the rest of it to focus on how the band has survived since his death. Cohen said that was bullshit and walked away.

Reportedly, the movie now ends with the band taking the stage at Live Aid.

this is actually almost as dumb as making Freddie's death the halfway point because as cool as the arc of his life is until that point the last few years are really the emotional core of his story and there aren't enough stories in fiction about the AIDS crisis right now so it could be a very important movie in that aspect as well.

He's incredibly distinct looking, dramatically flexible, and has a badass voice. He also comes off as whip-smart.

he also seems like a genuinely good person. The work he does with veterans is awesome and doesn't come off as some celebrity "we <3 troops" pet project because he's a vet as well and talks about how his artistic work was very important to him after he left the Marines.

He reminds me a lot of Steve Buschemi (a similarly talented actor with a unique look), and I expect he'll have as long and fruitful a career as Buschemi too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I mean if they’re just gonna make a goofy “lookit the puppets doin’ wacky violent adult poo poo” movie, why not just film Avenue Q? It’s all that plus a very nice message of “life could turn to poo poo at any moment and not everyone finds what they’re meant to do so suck it up”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Craig Ferguson was Owl last time why not just stick with him?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that is the most on the nose music choice but I also love it because that song loving bangs

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

kiimo posted:

This is how 9-11 yakety sax videos get made

nah, those are made specifically to get a rise out of people by pairing something tragic with something goofy

this is just "this story is very good and we want to tell it Hollywood-style, but we don't want to turn people away so we can't make it too off-putting."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

clown shoes posted:

The best part is that, at least in The Darkest Minds trailer, it says "From Producers of Stranger Things." Not "The Producers."

it's really funny because Kin, from the same producers, has "From the producers of Stranger Things and Arrival" in it. they're really banking on everyone just seeing the words "Stranger Things" and immediately saying "oh yes i want this"

muscles like this! posted:

When I went to see Incredibles 2 it was weird because they aired two trailers in a row that both had a joke involving a screaming goat. That Channing Tatum animated Yeti movie and the Benedict Cumberbatch Grinch.

internet jokes take a while to filter down to kids movies

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Croenenberg's Crash + Lars von Trier - any last possible semblance of taste or tact = This

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No. Do not do this. According to early reviews, it's unironic neo-Nazi propaganda.

Seriously we should probably just go ahead and throw S Craig Zahler in the garbage.

it's sitting at three positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but here's the paragraph from one of them defending/excusing the content of the movie, and quite possible the worst footnote I've ever seen:

quote:

There's an element to The Littlest Reich that's not going to sit well with some, as Sonny Laguna and Tommy Wiklund's alt. timeline reboot** sees Toulon's little bastards literally committing hate crimes. Yes, their victims are chosen because they are black, Jewish, gay, etc. It's a blatant act of provocation on the creators' part that leads to some rather uncomfortably mean spirited kills, not to mention jokes that will more than likely cause a solid amount of pearl clutching, should the picture cross over into the mainstream. However, this is what marks Sonnier and Zahler's collaborations as so special. These guys are legitimate exploitation artists, and aren't afraid to let their movies carry an air of disreputable danger. If The Littlest Reich makes you scream and laugh, it did its job. But if it offended or exasperated you, chances are Sonnier and Zahler are going to consider that a gold star, as well. This is tried and true shock cinema: wild, in your face, and meant to be experienced with the rowdiest crowd imaginable. The timid need not apply.

**We were informed via the post-film Q&A that Charles Band is going to continue making his own Full Moon brand of Puppet Master pictures, while Sonnier and Zahler's will exist outside of that canon, and continue with the prequel Aryans Ahoy!

i will stick with the Purge movies thank you

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

man between this and the Suspiria remake this is a good year for terrifying movies about dance

edit: holy poo poo that's Sofia Boutella

she's amazing

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 14, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

gmq posted:

I'm glad she's still getting jobs after the mummy

She was great in Atomic Blonde and Hotel Artemis (which I am pretending feature her as the same character, some sort of immortal French vampire assassin who can heal like Wolverine)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ammanas posted:

I'm old enough to remember Hart but it took me a minute to place the film - once the innuendo about affairs popped up I had my aha moment.

Some professors of mine spoke like Hart like he was the final shining light of American liberalism and him being a philanderer was the real end of the American Political Dream.

i can understand that line of thinking. him loving up meant GHWB, and four years later the Democratic party moved a bit to the right in picking Clinton, who then moved further to the right over the course of his presidency. Hart was more like a younger, more appealing version of the sort of liberalism that guys like Mondale and McGovern and Dukakis represented

think like, an RFK for the 80s, but instead of dying tragically, he hosed a lady on a boat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

The new trailer for The Favourite veers suddenly from comedy toward horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku8fPMLgRgk

i do not say this lightly, because we're in an era with a bunch of very talented young actresses who are constantly stretching themselves and their limits, but Emma Stone is probably the most talented woman working in Hollywood today

she makes garbage passable and great movies spectacular

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wonder if that Jonah Hill-directed movie Mid-90s was actually a Marvel movie all along...

if that movie ends with Brie Larson showing up out of nowhere and vaporizing Lukas Hedges it deserves all the Oscars

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

there's a lot of cool effects and tricks in that trailer but i have very little faith that it will result in a good movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dick Cheney is a war criminal. His progeny should be castrated.

i don't think you'll have to worry too much about his daughter procreating the natural way

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i would enjoy greatly if more superhero movies went away from handsome men basically playing themselves as superheroes (see: RDJ, Chris Pratt, The Chris Collective) and more into good actors acting their loving asses off (see: Tom Hardy, James McAvoy)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell is this? This should be a movie about magical animals enslaved by humans and forced into gladiatorial battles for our amusement.

i mean did you not see the massive Charizard in a UFC cage?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

if there is a time that Ryan Reynolds should have fired his agent it would have been immediately after the first Green Lantern trailer came out

edit: or maybe RIPD. Remember that? I didn't until I saw the name on his filmography.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Jonathan Lipnicki is heavily into MMA now. So how about, it's the Fourth Age of Middle Earth and illegal underground cage fighting has come to the Shire for a premise?

which is the weirder post-child-stardom interest:

Jonathan Lipnicki loving MMA
or
Frankie Muniz becoming a racecar driver

Actually when I googled Muniz to refresh my memory about his racing I learned a bunch of bummer facts about his life. Apparently his cat just ruined his house by turning on a faucet while he was away in France for his uncle's funeral, he has a bunch of memory loss because of "transient ischemic attacks", and met Dale Earnhardt literally right before the race that killed him.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that's weird Randy seems more like the breaking and entering type to me

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that's a very cute baby lion

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Chef is a dangerous movie to watch if you're hungry or on a diet.

Just like this Netflix Thanksgiving promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1B4XQQBSv0

the most notable thing about when I watched Chef (which I came into about 30 minutes into the actual movie) is that by the time the credits were rolling me and my roommate had ordered and had delivered some Cubans.

God Cuban sandwiches are good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Mike Mignola apparently can't stand GDT and really dislikes his take on the material.

i'm adding that to the list of "authors/estates with bad opinions about adaptations". it's called the Roald Dahl Has Terrible Taste list because he hated the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie so much that his estate forced that godawful Tim Burton/Johnny Depp one upon all of us.

but there are plenty of other authors on the list too. Stephen King for not liking The Shining, the Tolkein estate for being annoyed with the Peter Jackson trilogy, etc etc.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The United States posted:

All other horror movies can bow down to the new master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCacGXjMX0

wait that looks...

good? like the shot of them trying to get out of the pool by climbing on each other was shot really well and it's not too goofy (for a movie that is about being stuck in an empty pool, anyways), it's like the reverse of that one movie about the girls who were stuck under the pool cover for a night (which, as someone who is terrified of drowning is much scarier than an empty pool, although probably not scarier than an empty pool with a crocodile in it)

what they really needed to not be stuck is a mattress, they could have used it as a ladder-type situation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

someday Mads is gonna get the role that earns him his Oscar, and I cannot wait for that movie. The man is always brilliant, even when the movies he's in aren't (Polar looks like trashy fun and little else).

I read some reviews about Arctic and while I'm not a huge fan of Man Survives Wilderness movies, this seems to be one of the better ones to have come out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Hahaha yessss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxMLxO0ggk

Velvet Buzzsaw, from the Nightcrawler team.

i like that this seems to be a movie about criticism that is not just the incredibly facile "critics are all failed artists/wish they could be creators/are just jealous" that so many stories dealing with critics end up as. I mean poo poo, you could very easily say that this is a rebuke of the idea of "death of the author" because in this movie, the "author" (painter, whatever) is literally dead and when people start consuming his art in ways that he explicitly forbade, everyone starts to get killed. It could also be read as a rebuke of something like turning an older, dead actor into a special effect (ala Rogue One).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Same way as anyone make money online, I suppose. Upload stuff, then make money off ads until you're popular enough to be sponsored by a company.

edit:
A new golem movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79giXahf7c

ugh i don't understand why everyone doesn't make movies like Marvel, this isn't gonna make any sense if they're not doing Geodude and Graveller first

loving posers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bridges watched that Beach Bum trailer and got nostalgic

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If you aren’t familiar with the script, it’s written from the perspective of his girlfriend to the point where the script has a “gimmick” of not revealing who her boyfriend really is until the end. It’s basically the story of a woman whose wonderful, handsome, kind significant other is accused of these terrible things and he’s willing to do whatever it takes to clear his name while she has to grapple with whether or not he did them. But then actually it’s Ted Buddy so he hella did those things because he is a psychopath.

Obviously, if you want to market the movie as “Zac Efron Is Ted Bundy”, that doesn’t fly, so they’re taking the basics of that (primarily focusing on his relationship/repeated attempts to talk his way out of punishment) but not even pretending to keep it secret. But Bundy, especially in this script, is a really charming guy and the movie is gonna try to convince you (through his girlfriend) that there’s no way he did it and it’s all a huge misunderstanding (and then pulling the rug out from under you when it goes into the brutal detail of how he did it)

I trust the dude who helped make Paradise Lost to know how to frame the media in the midst of a flashy serial killer trial, and that’s going to be a big part of it.

I should really read that script again, it’s a great read and now I’m kinda curious if I can spot how much of it is still in there.

edit: honestly they probably could have cut a trailer about a man held for a crime he repeatedly swears he didn’t do and the stress it puts on his family which would be closer to the actual content of the film but then you don’t make any money because people are almost just looking at a Lifetime movie with a flashy cast. Just cut the little shots of him actually committing violence and add a shot of him talking to the police explaining all of the incredibly incriminating things in his car.

But again, then you don’t get to put the words that are gonna bring all the people out to actually see it: “serial killer” and “Ted Bundy”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BonoMan posted:

It's come up from time to time in this thread, but essentially he's a good actor who is "unfortunately" a pretty boy so he keeps getting painted into the same corner as those guys. You feel you shouldn't like him for whatever reason, but if you actually watch his movies and look at his filmography you realize there was no reason not to!

He has the same problem as Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe, where every role they take is always announced (implicitly or explicitly) as “look what the hot boy from High School Musical/Twilight/Harry Potter is doing now!!” Efron has not done quite as much to move away from HSM as the other two have to move away from his starmaking vehicle but at this point I relate him much more to the Apatovian comedy crowd as I do to Disney.

Actually some career analyses taking a look at the key pairs of stars from each of those projects (who are all aimed at roughly the same group of people, age wise) would be interesting. Efron/Hudgins, Pattinson/Stewart and Radcliffe/Watson (my apologies to Rupert Grint) have all done things that tried to drastically change their image to varying levels of success.