Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Took a look at that list of A24 movies and realized that most of the only decent films I've seen in the past three or so years were on that list.

What do they have coming out soon that has some positive buzz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHhr8Xc4AM

It took me about half a second to be sold.

Want this injected directly into my eyeballs

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Top Gun 2 kinda has a problem where theres no longer any other country that can even touch our airforce in plane-to-plane fighting. The Soviets were a threat during the first movie, but theres no one to replace them. Who can even launch planes against the U.S at the moment? Europe's minuscule airforces are practically just franchises of our own, the Russians are dilapidated, and Hollywood wouldn't dare piss off China by making them the villains.

The real answer is no one, but "dogfighting" and jet fighters in general are becoming increasingly obsolete. Exhibit A: the F-35. Exhibit B: Drones, cyberwarfare, and ballistic missiles. Our super fighter jets are designed for a world where the enemy country would need jets for an air war, but they don't. We may see how this theory plays out in a war with Iran.

Oh yeah, so movies. There's going to be a Top Gun 2?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I hope Top Gun 2 comes out the day after we finally use the F35 against Iran and they get destroyed by either Soviet-era SAMs or high altitude dust clouds, whichever hits them first

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What the gently caress is this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUWVT87mt8

Is A24 getting lovely

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

ahhhh

liberals can't just write columns about how to talk to the troglodytes, they have to make movies about it too

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Green Knight looks good, but I hope it goes in even stranger directions than we see in the trailer. Because we see the green knight clearly in the trailer, seems to kind of give the game away.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone hasn’t been watching The Righteous Gemstones.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, Adam loving rules and is hilarious in everything.

The rest... not so much but that is why he has a steady career.

I hate to be a contrarian but he's the worst actor in that show. He goes straight for the cartoonish southern accent that Hollywood assumes conservatives/Christians all have, but his character is supposed to be a hip, modern youth pastor. These guys go to pains to try to fit in to popular culture, and even if they have an accent, they would do everything they can to hide it. There's a lot of comedy potential being missed with Kelvin, he could be trying too hard but failing to be a "cool dude but Christian", and instead he's just kind of a dumb hick who's neverthless dressed up like one of those guys.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 16, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

looks great, but I think they put every money shot in the trailer

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

I hate that trailer but the movie might okay if it's not so try-hard (literal cut to a spit take after a joke delivery? go gently caress yousrself).

I kind of miss original Suicide Squad days when DCEU was just a billion dollar trash fire rather than "oh yeah this is fine but not great".

yeah. the Snyder Cut made me realize that superhero movies can now only be unintentionally funny. I like James Gunn but this goof-em-up template is getting really old

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

kiimo posted:

Is the Snyder cut worth watching

yes, just take three nights to do it

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The only reason I look forward to new movies any more is for the Red Letter Media and Chapo reviews of them

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Not a trailer but I guess this is the A24 thread so -

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1455959123091025921
plot summary from the wiki of the book

quote:

The novel follows an unnamed American woman, supposedly a journalist, living in Managua, Nicaragua in 1984, during Sandinista rule. She originally traveled to Nicaragua as an observer for an anti-war group. She is disgusted with the corruption of both the Sandinistas and "the stupid CIA." She hustles as a prostitute at the Inter-Continental Hotel in Managua, hoping to leave Nicaragua one day. At the hotel, she eventually meets an unnamed English oil businessman whom she falls in love with. When the Englishman has falling out with Costa Ricans, the two flee together toward border. An American who is most likely a CIA agent tracks them and pressures her to sell out the Englishman

looks like dog poo poo

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Daniel Day-Lewis: "Pussies" *aims revolver at his own spine*

lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYI77-pqrE

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it just me or do Anderson's recent movies feel like they're at 1.5x speed? Granted this is just a trailer. But it reminds me of The French Dispatch, which I gave up trying to understand halfway through because of how fast every scene was. Setupsetuppunchlinenextscene, repeat, with no time in between to breathe.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

wow. rly makes u think

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1732761894732153143

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BonoMan posted:

The wiki article suggested it was more allegorical sci-fi? The poster looks pretty literal though.

My guess is there’s some sci fi conceit that precipitates a ‘civil war’. Like half the country wants to ban cybernetic implants and the other half wants them to be mandatory.

That would actually make a cool movie. But I think garland said it’s like a ‘companion piece’ to Men so it’s going to be something incredibly ham fisted.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

what's so civil about war anyway?

....makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BeyondFest/status/1773574716520853792

I'm worried this is a polite way of saying, "it sucks"