Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There was an interview with him recently where he spoke against the #metoo movement and said that actresses who spent a “night with Harvey” were adults who knew the “deal” they were making for their fame. God dammit Gilliam :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

morestuff posted:

Not official, obviously, but I still thought this was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY1QHpp6iEE

These guys (and some others) also did the similar Ghost in the Shell tribute maybe five or so years back. That got them work on the ScarJo adaptation doing some concept bits. If only that film had found such talents for the other aspects of production.

Those shots of the city get how I’d want an Akira adaptation to perfectly. Sadly, we’d probably wind up with a Blade Runner wannabe aesthetic if it ever does happen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Most of the rest of the world does it, and America used to, before we became chuds

I travel the world pretty heavily and it’s extremely rare to find an airport that loads both ends anywhere. A welcome surprise when they do, but most of the world is sadly a huge exaggeration.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If I recall correctly, Furiosa was meant to be a loosely related prequel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cary Fukunaga means I at least give it a chance.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

That new Star Wars Resistance show looks goddamn amazing - wow.

I feel like this is probably sarcastic given the other comments, but despite the dialogue aimed at young kids, I actually thought the aesthetic was kind of great? Like it really does look fantastic. I normally hate CGI television, but they seem to have found a look that works with the budget and production schedule without feeling like corners were cut.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Couldn't give a poo poo without Mara and Fincher. Foy looks terrible.

I think the director of Don’t Breathe is a solid match for the film and I’ll watch it for that. If you’re going to replace Fincher with someone cheaper, you could do far worse. He has a similar sense of cool and cold filmmaking with high production quality standards, but he leans more into exploitation cinema tropes - which works well here. I like his previous work enough to give this a shot.

Ditching Mara was a mistake though. She was perfect. Foy looks like a generic wannabe in this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m so glad they got rid of all the gaudy post processing effects from the earlier trailers. The visual style looks really fantastic now.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress your NDA, internet friends want deets. That’s way more important.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

teagone posted:

Hello thread, I recut the Hellboy trailer last night. Tried to make it less joke-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNWr8UV500

I would actually watch this movie. So, hopefully the marketing campaign hosed up and this is somehow more accurate.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, I’m all for giving the alien franchise to promising up and coming directors. That was more or less the approach with the first four films after all and it was great to see each artist bring their own style to the franchise, even when it floundered.

But this just looks like fan films slavishly regurgitating Ridley’s original approach? I mean perhaps I’m being too harsh given it’s just a teaser, but they seem to be promising a nostalgia rehash. (And the recent animated IGN miniseries doesn’t give me any confidence in the Fox execs behind this year’s multimedia “revitalization”).

Say what you will about Prometheus, but at least Ridley tried to do something new.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, so to clarify: these apparently look like fan films because they literally are. Fox accepted fan pitch submissions from around the world and then accepted a few winners to make theirs a reality.

That’s cool enough for said fans I suppose.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pattinson actually has me excited about a new Batman movie.

These days I’m just excited for anything with him though. Dude has had stellar taste in projects for the last several years.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The date was moved because the director was a perfectionist in post, supposedly. His previous films were all really good as well, though hard to market and not big audience hits. I’m in, just for his track record.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Also worth noting, because I'm not sure it comes through in the trailer, but the film is said to be 2001 meets Apocalypse Now.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

This looks so much like a Korean Alien knockoff set on an deep sea dig that I saw maybe 10 years back.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alehkhs posted:

If you remember the name, drop it in here - I'd love to check it out.

7광구, or in english Sector 7.

It wasn’t very good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Speaking of awesome trailers did they just decide to shelve The Green Knight instead of put it on streaming the bastards?

They’ve said they’re committed to a theatrical premiere... whenever that actually becomes viable.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Bad Liam neeson action vehicle take #472, they kill terminator in the trailer and hey why can’t Jeffrey Donovan find a decent movie to star in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1X67vnYM0

Saw the video title and was briefly confused about that awful honest trailer channel taking on the Michael Mann movie, Thief.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Spielberg will never retire. He just also hasn't made a great movie since, uh...I'm gonna go with Catch Me If You Can in 2002? He's made some decent ones, like Lincoln, but some absolute garbage, too, like Ready Player One. He's lost "it", for sure. (Admittedly, there are some movies I've missed, like Bridge of Spies and Munich, but I think that's about it.)

I just feel like I'm, in general, done with him. And whether or not I think Indy 5 is a good idea (it's probably not), I'm glad, at the very least, he's not the one doing it.

As soon as you said CMIYC was his last great movie, I was getting ready to reply that Bridge of Spies and Munich are among the best of his entire career... which turn out to be the ones you have not seen. You gotta get on those.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I was like, is that Clea Duvall? No it's not. Or is it? No.

Looks pretty harrowing, can't wait

Jessie Buckley really does look like Clea Duvall from some years back here. Uncanny.

The movie looks fantastic. Alex Garland has managed an impressively consistent level of quality and originality as a filmmaker. All of his work has been right up my alley thus far (Not counting adaptations of his novels) and it doesn't look like he's dropping the ball any time soon.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Or it’s this is the original movie which later got a corny Saturday morning cartoon spin-off to sell toys, just like happens with many big franchises in real life. Star Wars had the cheap Droids show, Ghostbusters had several cartoons, etc.

In the end it’s only Lightyear for the sake of making this sci-fi script more marketable, but the in universe logic does make sense.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I hope it *is* like the Batman and we just keep getting progressively grittier takes until in 2050 someone like Zack Synder is releasing his grimdark version.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ad Astra bugs me a little bit because it feels like it's positioning itself as a "realistic" near-future depiction of space travel, but the scientific stuff is almost entirely nonsensical.

However, the nonsense is also responsible for two of the coolest scenes (International Space Telescope fall and moon buggy chase) and it has possibly the most gorgeous "hard sci-fi" visuals outside of 2001. So, ultimately, I love it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There's also The Last of Us where the zombie stuff can go airborne.

Yeah, airborne spores that can infect even after they're killed will do it. Especially now that we've seen how Americans feel about wearing masks for safety.

Man, I hope the HBO show will be good.

precision posted:

what if zombies, but it's an STD :yikes:

It Follows is kinda 90% of the way there and was pretty great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm super hyped for anything Cameron does. The dialogue and premise will always be hokey. But he directs and edits the action beats so drat cleanly and all his poo poo is a ton of fun.

teagone posted:

Avatar doesn't even have a 4K blu-ray release. Cameron likes to drag his feet on those (still waiting on The Abyss 4K), which I guess makes sense, considering how long it takes him to make movies. I don't even think the version on Disney+ streams at 4K either lol. So best experience, on a non-3D capable set, would probably just be the original blu-ray release unfortunately. Lmao.

The bulk of the live-action footage was shot on the F950, which output 1080p footage (on tape). It was then matted to 2.39:1, which put the final resolution at 900p. A huge portion of the film is fully CG, but the final finish was 2K. So, while digital upscaling can create some attractive results when done well, you're not going to get *too* much more out of a 4K release.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

teagone posted:

Cameron oversees the 4K transfers himself I think, right? Couldn't he maybe cull something from the 70mm IMAX prints of Avatar that'd potentially look better than the current blu-ray release?

70mm prints from 2009 are probably just the 2K finish printed to film. You'd have a generation of loss by scanning a print back in. At best there might have been an up-rezzed DI that used techniques that are now 13 years out of date. Any new 4K release would want to do that fresh.

The thing is 2K is totally fine for cinema, even IMAX. Even recent movies like Dune only have a 2K finish, despite being shot on 70mm sensors. It's nice to see something shot on 65mm with master primes shot by someone like Lubezki in pristine 4K and having swaths of fine detail... but much of the time you're just getting a bit of sharpening that otherwise largely looks the same as a 2K bluray.

Again, a well-done upscale can look nice and crisp without adding too much in the way of artifacts if done well. You often also get more nuance in the tonal range when they make remasters like that. It's just not going to be as huge a game changer as a 4K release of a film that originated with higher definition assets.

CelticPredator posted:

It looks whatever but of fuckin course I’m seeing it in IMAX. And that’s why it’s gonna do well.

Why wouldn’t you see the avatar sequel? Even if you don’t care?

One of my favorite parts of a new Cameron movie coming out is when people think it might not be successful. Both Titanic and Avatar had people predicting massive expensive failures... and well, that seems silly now. A part of me does wonder about the viability of this franchise in the 2022 landscape... but nah, I'm not betting against Cameron's market intuition anymore.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Aliens explicitly references Tyrell Corporation on screen in Dallas's bio. That's probably the best you're gonna get for franchises owned by different studios. Also I could imagine Ridley rolling his eyes hard about Predator being connected at all.

Tyrell’s flesh abomination competitors to Weyland’s androids were also mentioned in some of the Prometheus side content and Ridley has said he imagined both films took place in the same world. But yeah, some Easter eggs are as much as we’ll get and Ridley surely doesn’t care about a franchise he didn’t work on being tied in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The third film felt like an episode of a pretty good TV series... it was fine, I guess. I think it's the least cinematic of the series and none of the action sequences stuck with me. It's probably a better movie than 2, but a less interesting one.

Four is where the series found its current identity, in my opinion. The ensemble wasn't as strong in that one, but they found their legs with the stunt-driven action. 5 brought in Rebecca Furgeson and she's been the best addition to the cast thus far. 6 was kind of just "5 but more," which is great. So long as they maintain this high bar of action, I don't think I'll ever stop wanting more. John Wick is the only other major Hollywood franchise that consistently delivers in that regard.

It's always amusing to think that the film iteration was kicked off with a DePalma-lite thriller. It's so removed from that sub-genre now.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 22, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I suppose for the general public, cinema lights are less recognizable than a woman's razor for a sci-fi prop. They do kind of fit the Star Wars aesthetic. Annoying for anyone who has set foot on a set though.

Maybe we'll get to see an Arri Sun with the logo covered by Arubesh being used as a turbo laser or something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I suppose the difference that bothers me most is that, in prior cases, the items were modified or at least used in a different way. Here, we have an unmodified earth light acting as a light.

When James Cameron put a gun on a steadycam and called it an autogun, that was creative and resourceful. This feels like someone was too lazy to clean the set. Heck, the shot would look nicer without them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Here's the correct order to rank them

1: Empire
2: Last Jedi
3: Rogue One
4: A New Hope, Force Awakens, it's basically the same movie
5: Jedi
6 to whatever: A bunch of them

Rise of Skywalker doesn't qualify.

Perfect ranking, no notes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I was referring to the “Lucas ghost directed parts of ROTJ” theory. If that’s true, I can’t include this scene in that list, is all.

As the story goes, the Tatooine location work was very early in the shoot. It was the terrible quality of the Sarlacc action in particular, especially in how hard it was to cut into anything coherent, that prompted Lucas to take over direction for action or effects heavy sequences for the rest of the production.

There's a lot of conflicting verbal history around the production, but at the least, there's quite a lot of documentary roll showing Lucas very much directing later sequences in the film while Marquand hung back. The Sarlacc sequence is shot with confusing blocking that's incoherent in a way that nothing else Lucas has shot is.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Talk about Predator vs Dredd just makes me sad that the Dredd vs Judge Death sequel that Alex Garland wanted to make will never happen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Which is weird? Garland's become a name-above-the-title director and Urban's stock is up with The Boys. Surely Garland could find the money for it if he tried.

At the time Garland was talking about it, he didn't yet have a directing credit and Urban's biggest role was a supporting character in Trek. Dredd was also a property that had two financial flops, the most recent of which he had written and (reportedly) ghost directed.

At this point, he and Urban might have enough clout to overcome the uphill battle of pitching a loose sequel to a film that, at best, found a cult following ten years ago... but does he want still want to? Urban still voices interest in the franchise whenever asked, but I last saw Garland discuss his ideas 8 years ago. He may not be interested anymore. Or at least, it's likely that directing his own original projects is a higher priority now that he has the full freedom to do so.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jedit posted:

The Mega-City One series is in talks, and while it won't be Dredd-centric (if it comes to pass at all) there's been some discussion about Urban reprising the role in it.

It’s been in talks for nearly half a decade and momentum stalled some time ago. I hope it gets a push, but I won’t hold my breath.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

What the heck does "Original Movie Event" even mean?

I'm guessing it's the "theatrical premiere" equivalent for streaming?

Anyway, my wife and kids are gonna love it. One of my wife's fave Halloween movies.

Yeah, marketing verbiage. They're just emphasizing that the movie is original to Disney+, not an existing movie moving to the platform, and "event" is just in there to hype it up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scuffy_1989 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2qpKUExOnE

Movie about the first black Navy fighter pilot, Jesse Brown.

The actual films were made several years apart, but it's funny to see Glenn Powell in this plane movie just a few months after Top Gun: Maverick.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kiimo posted:

Makes sense that a bunch of fighter pilot movies are going to come out right after Top Gun just like the first one.

Iron Eagle wasn't half bad

Yeah, it's just funny to see the same actor in both is all. This is like if Val Kilmer had also been in Iron Eagle.

I looked into it and apparently, Glenn Powell is the guy who purchased the novel's rights to get this film made and he purchased them right after he finished filming on Top Gun. So, it's probably the case that he had fun and wanted to do more airplane stuff.

He required the other actors to do flight training to experience real Gs, like Cruise did. Though the cockpit photography sounds like it's just normal bluescreen stuff.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Counterpoint, it's a really hosed up book, where Han kidnaps Leia and takes her to a planet that he won "for her" in a game, and is confused when she's not grateful for it. Shadows of the Empire is a more hosed up book, but it may be the only one.

I love the Witches of Dathomir stuff, but the central premise of the book has some serious problems.

Wait, the cool creepy planet with the zombies and witches from Jedi Fallen Order is from *that* book?