Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROSS9ReUY

Is anything going to stop Timothee Chalamet's quest for world domination? Looks like the answer is no.

No wonder this thread is called the A24 fellation station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I like the Hook reference at the end of the Jurassic World II trailer.

Other than that, the movie reminds me so much of the poop I just took, the resemblance is utterly uncanny.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

bows1 posted:

Same Im in for this one

Lowery leaning hard on his Malick fetish here.

Kinda like watching someone shout "I'm LeBron bitch!" before missing a layup.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Clap posted:

This is some next level poo poo. God drat, what a trailer.

Love the Tree of Life reference with the bubble bath.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This is what Eternal Sunshine would’ve been if Terry Gilliam had directed it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Someone in the Star Wars thread just posted some long forgotten behind the scenes documentary of Empire, and it’s always fascinating how the actors were free to discuss the plot quite liberally because “spoilers” weren’t even a thing at that point.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://youtu.be/YfE7PUKH76w

The new Claire Denis film with Robert Pattinson. Looks incredible.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The trailer for Vox Lux looks fantastic:

https://youtu.be/scnK-wzWhGE

I refuse to believe Sofia Coppola wasn’t involved in this

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How does Martin Scorsese of all people not get the benefit of the doubt around here? Hopefully this will be his First Reformed

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
We all predicted that JJ would find a way to put Death Star IV in his movie. Congrats JJ

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zero One posted:

I assumed they stuck him in the back seat of a F/A-18F and made it look like a single seater.

Literally the only reason Tom Cruise signed up for this was so that he could fly the plane himself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

tylersayten posted:

gently caress Hollywood’s shameless military bullshit forever

Yvan eht nioj!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I got chills seeing Joe Pesci. That was a good trailer. Too bad the de-aging tech isn’t quite there yet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know, I thought the de-aging looked pretty great. Way better than I was expecting. And yeah, Pesci in a Scorsese movie again is something I'm there for.

I think maybe it was just weird because the trailer edit was deliberately trying to call attention to the de-aging and beg you to inspect it. If they had instead inserted a few shots in the middle it might’ve slipped by me, but when you scrutinize it that way there’s still a slight but noticeably uncanny valley effect.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
You want a movie to be bad because another movie you liked wasn’t well-liked enough by a bunch of random people 15 years ago? These are movies, not sports.

Also I’m not sure why you think Scorsese glamorizes this stuff. Did he glamorize being a loner/political assassin too? Or an EMT?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 1, 2019

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How dare Hollywood make a movie depicting the creator of Fox News as a completely ruthless and amoral piece of poo poo. And how dare they try to humanize victims of sexual harassment and assault!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ariza posted:

Even if they're just scared little ladies, they still have full agency to make their decisions (just like you can if you can believe it!) and choose to be assholes for money and legitimacy. Please don't be from the 50s anymore, it's not a good look. Everyone is aware that he's a pile of garbage, maybe this will show you that ladies can be piles of garbage too.

Full agency to... not get sexually harassed, assaulted, or blackmailed? Do you always refer to women as "ladies"? Are you one of those people that thinks that criminals also deserve to be raped in prison because they had full agency when they committed a crime? I just want to be clear that in this movie about sexual predation, your stance on the victims is "they deserved it". We can move on now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

You're being willfully obstinate. Literally nobody said anything like this.

kanonvandekempen posted:

'These women were so desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit from creating racial hatred that they were willing to suck an old man's cock to get there.' is not really a pitch that makes me interested into seeing this movie I think.

What does this mean to you?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Byzantine posted:

"I'm not sympathizing with Magda Goebbels just because her husband shot her."

Just looked this person up because I didn’t know anything about her. Apparently she murdered her six children and then killed herself. Can you choose a different analogy that might serve your point better?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I can sympathize with that part of their lives without sympathizing with them as an overall person.

That’s all anyone is asking of you.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

good for him but im not gonna watch yet another redemption story with a sports team

Sorry, but did you see the trailer? It's not just "any sports team". That team is going to be state champs!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yikes that new Bond trailer looks like reheated leftovers

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Proposition Joe posted:

Why does Free Guy seem to take place on one single intersection in downtown Boston.

I don’t know but I walked past that set every morning for my work commute for months and this is very surreal now

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ok so is he actually flying these planes or what? There’s one shot at the end where he’s accompanied. Are they deliberating dodging this to pique my curiosity?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It literally just follows one person through a battle. It’s not supposed to be a in depth character study.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zzulu posted:

What's the reason for it being boring and uninteresting then

Dunno, it’s the first I’m hearing of this.

New movie looks great. Finally saw Black KKKlansman and was blown away by the lead actor. Glad to see him here.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s a Kelly Reichardt film. Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's... just the original movie again, though?

Like the first movie is basically "what if Seven was also a NIN video"

Did you forget that Se7en literally opens as a NIN video?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That feels like a potential companion film to that recent Linklater film. Hopefully better though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can't let this conversation go any further without mentioning the teaser The Master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WTM8eO1Oec

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What's the biggest quality drop from teaser/trailer to final film? Suicide Squad? Though that kind of feels like it shouldn't count because the trailer affected the final film so much.

The Dark Knight Rises? All the marketing and hype was amazing, and the film was a pretty universal let down.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t think it’s merely that it looks bad on a technical level, but that was also when the choreography started veering in a different direction. The first film was full of fight choreography that mostly felt grounded (an arbitrary notion, I recognize). But with Neo becoming Superman, the choreography necessarily had to become a lot more over the top and anime-ish (him spinning on the staff and kicking people in a circle or whatever is the example I’m thinking of. Even if it looked realistic it would’ve looked silly.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think it’s just another example of the maxim that even geniuses work better under constraints rather than having free reign.

I rewatched the sequels recently (essentially a first viewing for how long ago it was that I first saw them). Not much stuck with me except that absolutely egregious cake/orgasm thing. And the Architect’s big scene is unforgivably abstruse.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No that’s fine but he speaks like his lines were written by an undergrad with a thesaurus. It’s possible to speak in an inscrutable way that is nevertheless captivating, but that wasn’t it

It’s also dramatically questionable to have the climax of your movie be a conversation that doesn’t make any sense as you’re listening to it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I really didn’t like his previous movie, Christine, so I’m a bit cautious but hopefully it’ll turn out as good as it looks

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m so embarrassed for everyone

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m curious if any of Charlie Kaufman’s influence is felt here, since he has a screenwriting credit

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care how artfully you frame and light the commentators, talking head documentaries blow.

Stop Making Sense is one of the greatest films ever. You’re wrong.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I hope that M Night movie does ok so that Vicky Krieps gets more work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
And Fargo