Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Syncopated posted:

Are the beach scenes in Asia?

It's a resort in southern China where that white Buddha statue is located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Isn't the interest around this film mostly that it's a US romcom where the leads (or the whole cast, really) aren't white?

But yeah, the book and film are about obscenely rich people being obscenely rich.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Robin Hood: Bruce Wayne meets Legolas.

And is that city supposed to be Nottingham? It's way too sunny and the buildings look Italian.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This is somehow the first time I heard that actors have voice doubles for live action stuff.

thrawn527 posted:

Right? I was about to ask, "...Jodie Foster's voice actress? She's a real person, why does she need a voice actress?"

It's for the dubbed European versions. A lot of countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany don't really do subtitles (these days you can find subtitled films in cinemas but not everywhere). All the famous English-speaking actors you can think of? Most of us have never heard their actual voice. Also sometimes you recognise the voice actors' voice in commercials or video games.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

feedmyleg posted:

I only find it strange that the hair is so long and wooly. Maybe the movie takes place in a colder climate? Pikachu looks like he's a drat Maine Coon. I always imagined them short-furred like a pug.

Gotta build up that static electricity.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No Zhu Bajie suit with a metal beer gut, 0/10

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Eh, seems we're just recycling the plot of Babadook now.

It looks more like a horror take on season 2 of Stranger Things to me.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

This is all of us watching this trailer.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

porfiria posted:

Are the Huns in Mulan actually the same dudes who were loving up the Roman Empire?

There was a nomadic Confederacy named the Xiongnu in present day Mongolia until the 1st century AD, when they were defeated and pushed out westward by the Han dynasty and other nomad states that rose up in Mongolia. It's possible they were the ancestors of the Huns (based on the names being vaguely similar), but keep in mind the Huns didn't show up until about 300 years later. A culture can change a lot in that span of time, especially if they're hoofing it across Eurasia.

And the Xiongnu were long gone by the time the story of Mulan is supposed to happen (4th to 5th century AD).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The screaming on seeing Sonic for the first time made more sense with the first design.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Dillbag posted:

Knock it out of the park, and they finance the next one.

That's the worrying part, because of the pandemic.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Kong can probably stand with water to his ankles while in the middle of the ocean, just like Godzilla does it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pretty sure that's Skyfall.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

The harsh and potentially unsafe working conditions on location led to actress Irena Violette quitting the movie partway through production; in retaliation the producers withheld her passport and demanded she repay her salary in exchange for its return, which led to Violette and her boyfriend secretly escaping from the set in Fujian to the US Consulate General in Shanghai with the help of Lawrence, a few sympathetic crew members, and the local police.

You could make a film about just that episode.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Parkingtigers posted:

It's been a while since I read them all, so I can't remember having issues with the earlier books. I'll take your word on the transphobia in GoY as I wouldn't have picked up on it back when I read it. Considering how hard Neil Gaiman recently came out swinging against the TERFs when they tried to claim Terry Pratchett, I've no doubts that he'll agree to, if not outright insist on, fixing that in any adaptation though.

The transphobic stuff I remember is that there's a trans (male to female) character who has to take part in a ritual but the character doing the ritual tells her "it only works for real women, sorry but I don't make the rules". Yeah.

It would rightfully piss people off, especially since it would be extremely easy to change.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

"Gorr" redirects here. For the characters from Marvel Comics, see Gorr the God Butcher and Gorr the Golden Gorilla.

Now I'm sad that Christian Bale is not playing a golden gorilla.