Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mem posted:

Se7en has a 4k on the way, announced with the What's in the Box set.
There are effectively multiple different versions of Se7en, because the color timings on the theatrical version and the versions released on home video are so different. The original version used a photochemically-finished bleach-bypass process (subsequent prints were struck from a bleach-bypassed interpositive), which was then digitally regraded for DVD. The version released on Blu-Ray, at least in the US, was aggressively color-corrected and looks way different from Fincher's version. I believe there are some non-US Blus that use either the original color timing or something like it. It'll be interesting (or possibly disappointing) to see what the 4K looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got my hands on The Abyss 4K and watched about 15 minutes of bits and pieces.

It looks fantastic. Doesn't look like 1989 35mm at all, but I'd say that if the dial was turned maybe a click or two more towards that, it would look perfect. This is based on watching in motion, so I don't know how individual frames would hold up. But actual playback could fool me into thinking it was shot at least in Panavision rather than Super-35.

Really, if it looks this good with the processing, I can only imagine what a film could look like if they backed off just a little on the noise removal. Blu-ray and 4K can handle the film grain!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ultraviolence123 posted:

Seriously, people are selling that Super Mario Trust the Fungus set for like $700 at eBay. That's just insane. I'm happy with my basic 4k I bought at Orbit.

https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1771043136044736548?s=20
https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1771043141258199044
https://twitter.com/UmbrellaEnt/status/1771043143372169444?s=20

Umbrella rule

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The discless option is absolutely awesome. I bought a standard 4K with slipcover but some of those extras are great. Umbrella is the best.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Seriously, the discless option is great for people like me. Companies like Umbrella, 88 Films, Eureka, Second Sight, they really understand and respect the collector market.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like there's new 4K DCPs available for Top Secret! (Paramount) and How the West Was Won (Warner). I'll go ahead and predict that Shout will put out a UHD of Top Secret! before the end of the year, while I'd expect HTWWW to be another Warner 4K-only upgrade like Rio Bravo and Giant.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I keep forgetting to mention that Deaf Crocodile have a Kickstarter campaign running for an ALEKSANDR PTUSHKO box set, encompassing the three films they’ve already released as well as the new release of RUSLAN & LUDMILA. Since I have the other three, buying the 4th plus a box was a no brainer. There are also newly designed slips for folks who don’t already own them. It’s up for another week if anyone’s interested! I don’t work for them!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deaf-crocodile/aleksandr-ptushko-fantastika-box

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I checked Walmart. No 5 dollar steelbooks, in fact it was hard to see if they had any bargains since literally 95% of their Blu-rays and DVDs were in the wrong places. But I did get The Outwaters. As part of a 3-movie DVD pack with Japanese Cube and Creepy Pasta, a horror anthology based on creepy pasta.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like there's new 4K DCPs available for Top Secret! (Paramount) and How the West Was Won (Warner). I'll go ahead and predict that Shout will put out a UHD of Top Secret! before the end of the year, while I'd expect HTWWW to be another Warner 4K-only upgrade like Rio Bravo and Giant.

Hell yes! My wife showed Top Secret to my a few years back, and I’ve come this close to buying the lovely Blu-ray a few times. I’ll pre-order that in a heartbeat. There’s some really technically impressive scene and stunts, and it’s a lot of goofy fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Haven’t checked a Walmart for steelbooks. I feel like I wouldn’t find any and it would be a wasted trip. I’ve largely been avoiding Walmart for several years since they stopped paying their employees time and half on holidays and gave them a slight boost on their employee discounts instead. Not sure if that’s still in place. A lot of retail finally stopped opening up on Thanksgiving night like they were doing for a while.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Which version do Miami vice is the one to get? Blue ray steel book from Walmart?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was just talking about the Miami Vice TV series a couple pages back, so I recommend watching that! It's a lot better than the movie. This may not be helpful, but it is soul enriching. Though the TV series is on blu-ray, just not a steelbook.

Super Mario Bros (1993) is a good flick, nice to see it getting more appreciation lately. I do prefer the theatrical version, better pacing and whatnot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 24, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well I own every Godzilla movie besides Biollante which is out of print and very expensive.

If Criterion announces a Heisei and Millenium set soon you can thank me by contributing the money I’ll need to get the set please.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nicely done! I don't have those Criterion sets etc, but I do happen to have Biollante! One of my favs. I've already got all the Heisei and Millennium movies so I'm good. But it would be cool, maybe get better subtitle translations etc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dorium posted:

Well I own every Godzilla movie besides Biollante which is out of print and very expensive.

If Criterion announces a Heisei and Millenium set soon you can thank me by contributing the money I’ll need to get the set please.

I've got Biollante, Mechagodzilla II and Destroyah from the Heisei series, with Godzilla '84, King Ghidorah, Mothra and Space Godzilla to collect. Toho's kept the Japanese releases in print, and those are the versions I own, but they don't come with English subtitles.

Toho have also recently remastered Biollante into 4K.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. I really don't like Godzilla '84, so that's one I skipped collecting. Plus thanks to historical coincidence, the Heisei era starts in '89 so I can say I have all the Heisei movies.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Top Secret! in 4k would be awesome.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also, the SMB 4K is just through Umbrella, right? I wanna pick it up but wasn’t sure if I was shooting myself in the foot with impatience.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Still holding out for Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room on 4k.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't care much about having '84 but I would like Biollante to come out on blu ray again since I have the Criterion set + all the other movies besides those two.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Mr E posted:

I don't care much about having '84 but I would like Biollante to come out on blu ray again since I have the Criterion set + all the other movies besides those two.

I watched ‘84 recently and it is very mediocre but I would kill to have a 4K of Biollante, who is one of the my favourite kaiju ever

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I have a small selection of movies (and games) for sale if anyone in here is interested.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a "grab bag" sale of mystery DVDs and blu-rays (mostly genre titles where I've upgraded over the years). Maybe like 3 for $10+shipping. Any interest in that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

According to the reviews on Japanese Amazon, Toho’s 4K transfer of Biollante is apparently excellent. It exists out there, it’s just a matter of someone licensing it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need it. I need it bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My copy of The Abyss got a new expected arrival date of sometime in the first two weeks of April. We'll see if it actually ships this time.

With Opening Day approaching I also put in a preorder for the new Major League UHD. I've established a little bit of an "Opening Day Collection" with Field of Dreams, A League of Their Own, The Natural, and now Major League. I enjoy when my movie collection sort of organically creates an opportunity to do a themed week of movies connected to a certain date/holiday.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just gotta get Bull Durham and Bad News Bears and you've got a Major League collection (pun fully intended).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I had myself a little baseball movie marathon last year. Any good additions I missed?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Fan

For Love of the Game

Eight Men Out

Beer League

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There’s the Japanese baseball gore movies, Deathball and Battlefield Baseball.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Moneyball

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Baseball.

If not for my default position of waiting on UHD releases instead of buying regular blu rays I'd probably have a lot of the movies mentioned already like The Sandlot and Bull Durham.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Bingo Long Travelling All-Stars & Motor Kings is a pretty good baseball movie not a lot of people have seen. I almost never see it mentioned with the usual suspects.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Angels in the Outfield
Rookie of the Year

Oh, you said good ones... :smith:

Uh, Little Big League is.... decent?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rookie of the Year has some decent comedy in it though. Basically any time Daniel Stern appears in a scene it's gold.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gotta get Mr. Go in there. Also, Ed.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
No $5 steelbooks at my Wal-Mart, but I found a beautiful Dredd 4k steelbook that I had no idea even existed!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
man i got some catching up to do, lots of fills on order now from the above.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 29, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
All I can find is a DVD release but Chasing 3000 isn't half bad. It's a Ray Liotta flick about some brothers that drive across the country to see Roberto Clemente get his 3000th hit. Everyone's wearing 70's Pirates swag, which is loving dope, so it's worth checking out for that. I suppose it pairs well with Million Dollar Arm.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Jesus Christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is one of my favorite random youtube videos. Very comprehensive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeamHyi9u8