Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sniep posted:

"We'll see about that!" says me, a guy who does not honor/give a poo poo about region codes.

E; I guess you have to be italian to order from that amazon link, though, which i unfortunately do not know how to not honor. lol.

You can have amazon.it ship outside italy, it's just going to be expensive in shipping fees.

It adds 17.5€ to ship it to the US.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Criterion July email is out -

Risky Business
Farewell My Concubine
Black God, White Devil
Perfect Days
Le samouraï
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

the Risky Business cover is an all-timer, to me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Out of context it has a degree of menace.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Risky Business seems like a really weird pick for them but I guess since studios aren't bothering to put out discs anymore they may as well

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Movie Madness was such a huge highlight of my recent trip to Portland. I got to see the soap from Fight Club and a real prop from Citizen Kane! They had a DVD copy of Interstella 5555 and I convinced my friend who was local to the area to rent Baby Assassins! I even dropped a suggestion in their box for the Customer Suggestions shelf for Wild Zero. I wish I lived there so I'd have an excuse to constantly check stuff out.

i get three free rentals a day and go...every single day. i would never admit to anything illegal, but send me a PM if you need a less than physical copy of anything

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Risky Business seems like a really weird pick for them but I guess since studios aren't bothering to put out discs anymore they may as well

I feel like Risky Business is actually an appropriate choice just because I think Cruise's career is extending for so long that his early breakthrough roles are legitimately at risk of being forgotten. We're talking about a movie that is now 40+ years old.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/Criterion/status/1779907479591072243
WHEWWWWW

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think it's cool when Criterion does stuff that's a little more mainstream but has stayed in the public consciousness for as long as something like Risky Business has. Some of my big wishes of theirs are like that, and Bound's 4K being released under them makes me super happy.

Le Samourai 4K getting the Oppenheimer/Dial of Destiny pose as the front cover is hilarious.

My friend is super happy about Perfect Days so I guess I should watch it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Risky Business is actually an appropriate choice just because I think Cruise's career is extending for so long that his early breakthrough roles are legitimately at risk of being forgotten. We're talking about a movie that is now 40+ years old.

Sure, but Risky Business was about as mainstream a hit as you could have, age alone doesn't really seem like a reason. I'm not overly fussy about what Criterion puts out, it just seems like WB shouldn't have any problem putting this one out of their own and wouldn't need to reach out to a boutique arthouse label, even the biggest one

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

morestuff posted:

Sure, but Risky Business was about as mainstream a hit as you could have, age alone doesn't really seem like a reason. I'm not overly fussy about what Criterion puts out, it just seems like WB shouldn't have any problem putting this one out of their own and wouldn't need to reach out to a boutique arthouse label, even the biggest one

I think that kinda speaks to the major studios opening up catalog titles to boutique labels lately. whether its Kino, Cinemagraphe or Criterion they clearly want the work and the major studios dont want to invest in the infrastructure unless they have a legacy sequel or otherwise coming down the pike.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Perfect Days is so perfect as a gentle mood piece. It hit a lot of the same notes that an Ozu or Kore-eda film would. Goddamn that thing has vibes.

Tokyo also has amazing public bathrooms?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

GrandpaPants posted:

Perfect Days is so perfect as a gentle mood piece. It hit a lot of the same notes that an Ozu or Kore-eda film would. Goddamn that thing has vibes.

Tokyo also has amazing public bathrooms?

I dont know for certain but it sounded like these are kinda special art pieces commissioned by the city and Wim Wenders happened to know the artist and that's where he got the idea. I dont know that all public bathrooms are like those in the film, but they apparently do have plenty of public bathrooms that are well maintained.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i get three free rentals a day and go...every single day. i would never admit to anything illegal, but send me a PM if you need a less than physical copy of anything

my kind of poster

I just have the lower tier membership, still worth it by a lot. I just recently moved but when we were looking for our new place, we knew that if we could get close enough to MM we'd up the membership and cancel a bunch of streaming services. Pays for itself, it does.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like every few years some teen comedy or whatever does the risky business underwear slide dance. I’ve seen it in something this decade for sure

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like every few years some teen comedy or whatever does the risky business underwear slide dance. I’ve seen it in something this decade for sure
Everyone knows that scene but most people under a certain age haven’t seen the movie itself.

I haven’t actually seen it. I did listen to the soundtrack a bunch though. After discovering Sorcerer and later The Keep I really started to like Tangerine Dream.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think it's a solid choice for Criterion. Cruise is for all intents and purposes the last movie star and that was the movie that made him a star.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Harryhausens from Indicator came in. Because of the amount of work involved in his animation, Harryhausen didn't work on as many feature films as you might expect. So I'm actually not far off from a complete Harryhausen set, and I guess it's now become a bit of an unofficial goal.

I still need:

Mighty Joe Young
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Earth vs. Flying Saucers
3 Worlds of Gulliver
First Men on the Moon
One Million Years B.C.
The Valley of the Gwangi

A fairly realistic collecting goal I'd say. Gotta prioritize Mighty Joe Young, 3 Worlds of Gulliver, and The Valley of the Gwangi, those feel like the most significant of his films that I'm missing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Casimir Radon posted:

Everyone knows that scene but most people under a certain age haven’t seen the movie itself.

I haven’t actually seen it. I did listen to the soundtrack a bunch though. After discovering Sorcerer and later The Keep I really started to like Tangerine Dream.

And this is how I learned Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack for Risky Business. I watched it ages ago, prior to seeing Thief, so I wouldn't have known. But wow!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's a solid choice for Criterion. Cruise is for all intents and purposes the last movie star and that was the movie that made him a star.

(I am just being a bit silly, I get what you're saying)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Big Mac posted:

my kind of poster

I just have the lower tier membership, still worth it by a lot. I just recently moved but when we were looking for our new place, we knew that if we could get close enough to MM we'd up the membership and cancel a bunch of streaming services. Pays for itself, it does.

sweeeet

its like 35 blocks for me and mt tabor in between so i drive. goon project night at the miniplex when

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gosling's movie star qualifications will be tested in a few weeks when that movie he did with Emily Blunt comes out. A real movie star would have enough bankability left over from Barbie to carry it over to whatever the next movie is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, we'll see. The monoculture feels pretty much dead at this point, I'm not sure if it's even possible to be a "real movie star" anymore.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I bought Le Samouraï on regular BD a couple months ago. You're all welcome.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

sweeeet

its like 35 blocks for me and mt tabor in between so i drive. goon project night at the miniplex when

I suppose we should join forces and bully them into showing Doom House

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

My Harryhausens from Indicator came in. Because of the amount of work involved in his animation, Harryhausen didn't work on as many feature films as you might expect. So I'm actually not far off from a complete Harryhausen set, and I guess it's now become a bit of an unofficial goal.
When did you order? I ordered on the 8th and haven’t heard anything yet. They did say they experience delays during sales. I can’t remember if I got tracking or not last time I ordered.

Boywhiz88 posted:

And this is how I learned Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack for Risky Business. I watched it ages ago, prior to seeing Thief, so I wouldn't have known. But wow!
I’d seen Miracle Mile at some point which they did the soundtrack for. But it didn’t make an impression on me at the time. Sorcerer is what really got my attention. The The Keep, and more recently the US cut Legend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

When did you order? I ordered on the 8th and haven’t heard anything yet. They did say they experience delays during sales. I can’t remember if I got tracking or not last time I ordered.

I’d seen Miracle Mile at some point which they did the soundtrack for. But it didn’t make an impression on me at the time. Sorcerer is what really got my attention. The The Keep, and more recently the US cut Legend.

I ordered on the 8th as well, I guess I just got lucky. Or maybe the Harryhausens aren't as in demand as some of their other releases?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

three free rentals a day

that black emanuelle box is giving me GemserFeverTM

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Near Dark has a killer Tangerine Dream soundtrack as well. My favorite TD soundtrack is Firestarter. It's nonstop 80s synth goodness from beginning to end.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

I joked to some friends about watching every Tom Cruise movie and then went ahead and did that last year, which is the first time I saw Risky Business. I can't really say I enjoyed it. Even while trying to think about it as a product of its time (1983), it was hard for me to imagine high school seniors turning their parents homes into brothels so they can get all their (underage) friends to pay prostitutes for sex as being some "boys being boys" behavior. (I realize this is pretty tame compared to some of the poo poo people in this thread collect.) The raunchy teen comedy was never a genre of movies I liked though so maybe it's just me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Perfect Days worth picking up if I just really like Koji Yakusho? He’s been fantastic in everything I’ve seen, but those have also all been Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Sirotan posted:

tame compared to some of the poo poo people in this thread collect

yeah i bet someone itt has milk money on bluray

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Perfect Days worth picking up if I just really like Koji Yakusho? He’s been fantastic in everything I’ve seen, but those have also all been Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies.

yes. its so goddamn good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I ordered on the 8th as well, I guess I just got lucky. Or maybe the Harryhausens aren't as in demand as some of their other releases?
I also bought Harryhausen movies. All three Sinbad movies, and The Mysterious Island. Also some Hammer stuff, which it turns out I already have in a compilation set, oops. I was thinking I should have grabbed The Revenge of Frankenstein, which is also in said compilation, so I could have all my Hammer Frankenstein lined up. But then I forgot. Also grabbed Universal Noir #1, Vampires, Midway, and Road Games. The last of which I just got around to watching last year and really liked. I shouldn’t have held off for so long. Hopefully my stuff shows up soon.

Sirotan posted:

I joked to some friends about watching every Tom Cruise movie and then went ahead and did that last year, which is the first time I saw Risky Business. I can't really say I enjoyed it. Even while trying to think about it as a product of its time (1983), it was hard for me to imagine high school seniors turning their parents homes into brothels so they can get all their (underage) friends to pay prostitutes for sex as being some "boys being boys" behavior. (I realize this is pretty tame compared to some of the poo poo people in this thread collect.) The raunchy teen comedy was never a genre of movies I liked though so maybe it's just me.
Mind you I still haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard some people read it as making fun of Reagan era bullshit. I’ve read a summary and it doesn’t come across like a raunchy sex comedy there. I missed the boat on ever liking poo poo like American Pie or Van Wilder. Parents didn’t have cable back when they were in heavy rotation, and by the time we did I was past the age where I’d have been impressed by stuff like that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s no such thing as a bad movie with a tangerine score. They elevate movies like no one else. Also I’m stoked for Risky Business really cool critique of Reagan’s 80’s, and you totally understand why Cruise became the star he did. It’s funny because Cocktail feels like a very similar movie to risky business but it plays the whole capitalist angle very straight and with no irony.

Also Risky Business actually has one of the best sex scenes in movie history imo.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 16, 2024

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I wish the Criterion edition came with the original ending to Risky Business. That ending makes the critique about capitalism and wealth way more obvious.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VoodooXT posted:

I wish the Criterion edition came with the original ending to Risky Business. That ending makes the critique about capitalism and wealth way more obvious.

Good news, it does https://www.criterion.com/films/33808-risky-business

quote:

New 4K digital restorations of the director’s cut and the original theatrical release

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

And my job here is done.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have you guys heard anything about a bluray release for Eric Bogosian's Suburbia

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I still need:

Mighty Joe Young
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Earth vs. Flying Saucers
3 Worlds of Gulliver
First Men on the Moon
One Million Years B.C.
The Valley of the Gwangi

A fairly realistic collecting goal I'd say. Gotta prioritize Mighty Joe Young, 3 Worlds of Gulliver, and The Valley of the Gwangi, those feel like the most significant of his films that I'm missing.

One Million Years B.C. just went out of print from Kino Lorber. Warner put out Mighty Joe Young a while ago, plus Warner Archive did Valley of the Gwangi.

There was a rumor Indicator was going to do a big box of the complete Harryhausen films with the participation of his estate, but I wonder if that fell through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I had a pretty epic thrift store score the other day:

I'm especially excited to find The Third Man.