Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Boinks posted:

I had a pretty epic thrift store score the other day:

I'm especially excited to find The Third Man.

That Third Man is OOP, you lucky dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got my limited edition copy of The Green Knight in from the A24 shop and the disc in the book is nearly cracked fully in two :sigh: sent an email requesting a replacement disc, never have had that happen before

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Got my limited edition copy of The Green Knight in from the A24 shop and the disc in the book is nearly cracked fully in two :sigh: sent an email requesting a replacement disc, never have had that happen before

They will return in one year to crack you nearly fully in two.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They will return in one year to crack you nearly fully in two.

Hope they buy him dinner first

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Still no Indicator package. Either something I ordered is taking more time or it’s stuck in the big USPS facility in Chicago for a while.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1780311731291439509?s=46

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you have a hankering to watch Tommy Lee Jones dance to U2 in an abandoned barge. Otherwise maybe skip it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Casimir Radon posted:

If you have a hankering to watch Tommy Lee Jones dance to U2 in an abandoned barge. Otherwise maybe skip it.

Don't you dare skip it, blown away is a glorious film and I can't wait for June 18th now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
TLJ doing some incredible accent work in that one

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

I think the only KL I own right now is Eastern Promises and it looks like Blown Away will be my second. This movie is so good.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Demoniacs and The Nude Vampire 4ks are in stock at Diabolik for my fellow Rollin devotees.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://x.com/PhysicalMedia_/status/1780688163243164136

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It's funny how they're falling inverse to how much I personally enjoyed shopping there.

Best Buy was top tier for physical media, so naturally they went first. I loathe going into Walmart so naturally they'll hang on the longest. I was fine with Target but their exclusives were usually second to BB's (particularly the Disney stuff, which is moot now).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Target (my local ones at least) really downgraded their physical media selection last year so this doesn't surprise me. Currently they have a small end cap facing the back wall, and a small shelf all with random dvd and blu ray stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sure, go ahead, make it harder and harder to buy normal movies. I'll just keep buying weirder and weirder movies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of, Terror Vision announced their new releases

Popatopolis, the definitive edition of the documentary on Jim Wynorski (includes the regular 75min film, the 3 hour workprint version, and bonus film: a new HD restoration of Wynorski's The Witches of Breastwick)
An Old Kung Fu Master, an HD restoration
Satanik, a 2K restoration
The Nail Gun Massacre 4K

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Won't be long and we'll be seeing mainstream movies on the bootleg tables at cons instead of the weird stuff, which will have proper physical releases available.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Target (my local ones at least) really downgraded their physical media selection last year so this doesn't surprise me. Currently they have a small end cap facing the back wall, and a small shelf all with random dvd and blu ray stuff.

Yea Target, at least the one near me, had basically stopped stocking physical media for about a year already so this isn't much of a change. They'll have a few copies of the most recent big mainstream blockbuster but that's about it.

Honestly for me personally I think this whole thing has been a positive. Instead of cruising by Best Buy after work and dropping $20 or $30 on an impulse buy, that same money in my budget is now going to stuff I actually want because I'm specifically seeking it out and buying it online. I have my collection in a place where I'd rather just selectively add to it with stuff that probably wasn't going to be found at Best Buy anyway, like the Harryhausens I just bought from Indicator or some of the Hong Kong action films from 88 Films.

At this point my big long-term concern is just the availability of the players. I have this big collection of movies, I'd like to know that the players are going to be available into the future.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Boinks posted:

Won't be long and we'll be seeing mainstream movies on the bootleg tables at cons instead of the weird stuff, which will have proper physical releases available.

It really will be hilarious when it’s easier to buy a beautiful 4k version of some shot on video no budget movie that’s full of tits and blood and harder to buy something like Star Wars.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Rob posted:

It really will be hilarious when it’s easier to buy a beautiful 4k version of some shot on video no budget movie that’s full of tits and blood and harder to buy something like Star Wars.

To that end I'm legitimately surprised they're releasing Andor on disc (Obi Wan as well, but who cares), I would have put money on Disney never releasing another streaming show on physical ever again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

To that end I'm legitimately surprised they're releasing Andor on disc (Obi Wan as well, but who cares), I would have put money on Disney never releasing another streaming show on physical ever again.

My Walmart had copies of Loki, Wandavision and Wednesday this week. I was genuinely impressed; would love if that kinda thing continued, especially for stuff like Willow that got deleted

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Chris James 2 posted:

Speaking of, Terror Vision announced their new releases

Popatopolis, the definitive edition of the documentary on Jim Wynorski (includes the regular 75min film, the 3 hour workprint version, and bonus film: a new HD restoration of Wynorski's The Witches of Breastwick)

This is one of my favorite documentaries and one of the most important films to me personally. This is the movie that made me decide to shoot a feature-length film in a day. I wanted to show that you can make a good movie quickly, with everyone on set having a great / easy time, not just garbage movies where everyone is miserable. The film I made is called Bed, which I shot in 10 hours with a cast/crew of three people including myself, and it's become one of my most well-received films. Not trying to self-promote here, it just stopped me in my tracks to see 'Popatopolis', a movie I rarely ever come across being mentioned without me mentioning it, and which literally changed my life for the better, and which I never thought would ever get such a definitive edition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I feel like the industry as a whole is kinda all over the place right now when it comes to this issue. Disney seems to be coming to a realization that the money coming in from their streaming service could definitely use some supplementing from the physical media side, and I can only assume that even within a single company there's probably different lines of thought that are struggling against each other right now.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Terror Vision has a bundle of ten of the last years releases for $190/140 seems kinda cool.

https://www.terror-vision.com/store/contemporary-sale-bundle

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I pre ordered the andor 4k because I really loved that show and thought it looked great. I'm not one to usually buy shows but I've picked up a few over the last couple years because I'm afraid they'll eventually be very hard to find.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oof. My Indicator order didn’t even ship till today. Same day as my Kino Lorber order I made a week later. I was kind of hoping they just hadn’t given me a tracking number. But they’re a small company that does good work so I’m more than willing to cut them some slack.

Before I bought stuff from Indicator I had no idea you used to be able to buy extremely abridged versions of movies on Super8, that would get you about 20 minutes of highlights. But they tend to put them on the discs when they’re able to get ahold of them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kingtheninja posted:

I pre ordered the andor 4k because I really loved that show and thought it looked great. I'm not one to usually buy shows but I've picked up a few over the last couple years because I'm afraid they'll eventually be very hard to find.

Yeah the concept that stuff goes out of print wasn’t something I ever really worried about before but stuff is manufactured in way smaller runs now. I got the hankering to watch Chernobyl again, I thought that maybe owning it would be worth it, but the show is out of print so the UHD discs are just getting more and more expensive.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

https://x.com/timmyisanerd/status/1780992269400592455

This is pretty cool news.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1781074451884576976 https://www.ign.com/articles/target-will-continue-to-sell-physical-media-in-stores-and-online

quote:

Target responds to abandoning physical media rumors - new policy will impact movies and tv shows, not video games:

Target will continue to sell physical movies/tv shows by offering "thousands of titles" online but will have limited selection in retail stores (such as new releases or during key times throughout the year when they are more popular like during the holidays).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So yea basically nothing is changing for them. They already had a barebones movie shelf that was just new releases.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t know that I’ve bought a movie at Target since I worked there 16 years ago. Even back then their selection wasn’t anything close to what Best Buy had.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chris James 2 posted:

My Walmart had copies of Loki, Wandavision and Wednesday this week. I was genuinely impressed; would love if that kinda thing continued, especially for stuff like Willow that got deleted

Not sure how it works, but I'd guess anything that's deleted as a tax write off wont be released.

Kingtheninja posted:

I ordered it too for the same reasons.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

quote:

“Seven” was scanned by MPI from the original camera negative and mastered in 8K by Peter Mavromates, head of Fincher’s post team. All color corrections, retouches, and VFX were also rendered in 8K. However, because there is currently no distribution chain for 8K, it was downsampled to 4K. There will be a 4K Blu-ray release of “Seven” on May 3 through Warner Bros.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

“Currently” man 8k ain’t happening.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'll gladly be the old man saying "at some point we're just splitting hairs with how good and lifelike quality has to be". I promise nobody needs a theoretical 16k TV, no matter how much you may want one. 4K's nice but I don't even think I needed or wanted that!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

I'll gladly be the old man saying "at some point we're just splitting hairs with how good and lifelike quality has to be". I promise nobody needs a theoretical 16k TV, no matter how much you may want one. 4K's nice but I don't even think I needed or wanted that!!

For another resolution bump to be worth it you'd also need another image quality benefit along the lines of HDR. That was really a key thing for making 4k attractive and worth buying a player for, because there are a ton of UHDs where the extra resolution isn't doing a whole lot for the movie but the HDR still makes it look a lot nicer so hey why not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When I watch a 4K HDR Blu, I don't notice the picture quality. To me, that's the ultimate goal—I don't need anything beyond that, because picture quality is all about immersion to me. If I'm not noticing black levels and smears and pixelation like I do in 1080, then I can get pulled in more completely. Anything beyond that is just masturbation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I notice it because I still watch a lot of 1080p blu rays. So of course whenever I watch some blu rays and then switch back to a UHD, there's a noticeable difference.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Imagine if they try to make 8k a thing in a couple years. Only the boutique labels would have any interest, and they’d have to be super cautious because of the expense of each release. It would be like, ok, you just got a brand new 8k player, the only 8k movies you can buy to watch on it are Sleepaway Camp, The Black Gestapo, and Split Second, and they’re 120 bucks each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

they would need to give me robot eyes to appreciate 8K resolution.