Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I kind of regret not buying it. Hopefully whatever it is is sold as a non-April Fools edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can't wait for it to be some terrible 70s/80s Italian garbage that I have no interest in and can easily sell for a profit that then goes back immediately into different, better garbage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like if it was a real movie they would sell it normally. If for no other reason than respect for the filmmakers. If it is a disc I'd imagine it's like a collection of weird random bits of footage they've acquired over the years.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I recently stumbled on a bootleg DVDR site that had a bunch of rarities, but also widely available stuff (Godzilla vs Megalon, for instance) and it led me to wonder: Who are the people keeping these sites alive, and what are they buying?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

PinkoBastard posted:

I recently stumbled on a bootleg DVDR site that had a bunch of rarities, but also widely available stuff (Godzilla vs Megalon, for instance) and it led me to wonder: Who are the people keeping these sites alive, and what are they buying?

People who don't know how/care to pirate poo poo, I reckon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

They're also putting out a version of Hero which comes with 2 cuts of the film.

One with Dustin Hoffman and one without?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Finally popped in my UHD copy of The Abyss.

I had to stop it after 10 minutes. Never even seen this movie before (thought I'd get the 4k to correct that finally) and this looks every kind of wrong. Oversharpened as poo poo, Ed Harris looks like a CG doll, divers look closer to Avatar 2 than in a movie from 1989...

gently caress this gently caress what the gently caress Cameron. I'll wait until someone screens a 35mm print around here or something.

rear end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pwn posted:

People who don't know how/care to pirate poo poo, I reckon.

Before I bought a Blu-ray burner I used these kinda sites to get physical media of weird old TV shows that are long OOP or never got physical releases. They usually have pretty decent packaging which saved me the hassle of making it myself.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

I think the age range of people who know how to download movies and get them on their TV is fairly narrow

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Before I bought a Blu-ray burner I used these kinda sites to get physical media of weird old TV shows that are long OOP or never got physical releases. They usually have pretty decent packaging which saved me the hassle of making it myself.

remuxed from streaming or just potato quality or what

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes one, sometimes the other, and sometimes high enough quality that I assume it had a physical release in one region but not in the US. I have one show that never got a physical release, but I guess had an internal promotional/screener physical copy at one point, and mine appears to be a pirated version of that. But some of them are higher quality than what I can find online, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. I also have stuff that never got a physical release and can't be easily found online in any digital format, like the Thin Man TV show (or at least at the time I looked). Then I have a handful of bootleg imports of Japanese shows that only have giant OOP DVD Japanese box sets, a handful of bespoke releases from tiny companies that scan their own copies of stuff like Serial Squadron, and a handful of tape trader kind of releases that are old Elvira and Joe Bob Briggs releases with the commercials in tact.

To me the primary benefit of physical media is just picture quality, as I find poor streaming quality to be distracting more often than not. The secondary benefit is to be able to peruse my big cabinet of physical media when I'm not feeling inspired and find something that calls to me. These sort of cheapo bootleg releases scratch the latter itch more than the former.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 22, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1782409027601023433

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

post the friggin link. or are we still living :cb: :filez: :cb: lifestyle around here

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just got an email from Amazon that said The Departed UHD has been delayed to May 2nd.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
A bunch of Troma movies on sale for next to nothing over at MVD. I recommend the Giuseppe Andrews movies. Can't beat those for $0.99.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

codyclarke posted:

A bunch of Troma movies on sale for next to nothing over at MVD. I recommend the Giuseppe Andrews movies. Can't beat those for $0.99.

a truly delightful number (any) of these are on UMD, for anyone trying to bulk up their PSP movie collection

Big Mac fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 22, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Casimir Radon posted:

Just got an email from Amazon that said The Departed UHD has been delayed to May 2nd.

hmmm it must be selling well because I got a shipping notice this morning.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

dorium posted:

hmmm it must be selling well because I got a shipping notice this morning.
That probably does mean demand outpaced supply. It’ll probably actually show up sooner than that then.

My Indicator stuff is out for delivery today. So that took 14 days from the time I ordered. Not that bad for overseas shipping.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

codyclarke posted:

Most of those movies look really bad.

Edit: there’s one called Spidarlings that apparently is part of the “Queer Troma” line. I may be back on board.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 22, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

omg. The Toxic Avenger for the PSP

https://mvdshop.com/collections/troma/products/the-toxic-avenger-umd-umd-playstation-portable

$4 is still too much.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

$30 today- if you live in portland you need to go. full stock of boutique labels and they really get in good used stuff all the time. and yes rapoon alien glyph morphologies had its complete set of giant alien glyph cards thank you for your knowledgeable concern.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really hope Baraka gets a 4K release at some point. I still have that cardboard case they initially came in.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

$30 today- if you live in portland you need to go. full stock of boutique labels and they really get in good used stuff all the time. and yes rapoon alien glyph morphologies had its complete set of giant alien glyph cards thank you for your knowledgeable concern.

I had no idea they stocked movies - definitely don't remember that the last time I went in (probably 2017 lol)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hey all, I put up another SA-Mart thread with some movies for sale that I think would be of interest to folks in this thread. Help me clear some space on my shelves (and also make up for some of the surprise $1000 I had to pay the IRS earlier this month :suicide:)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059139

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So, my wife wanted to watch a show on Peacock. No problem, we have a plan w Comcast, we’ll get it for free for 2 years. Watched my data go INSANE. The Peacock app seemed to not just be downloading a ton of up, but upload too. I’m talking 13GB of upload over a few hours of usage… while watching streaming!?

Shout out to Blu-ray’s and 4K’s and DVDs not doing that sort of bullshit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

So, my wife wanted to watch a show on Peacock. No problem, we have a plan w Comcast, we’ll get it for free for 2 years. Watched my data go INSANE. The Peacock app seemed to not just be downloading a ton of up, but upload too. I’m talking 13GB of upload over a few hours of usage… while watching streaming!?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Boywhiz88 posted:

Let’s talk about BD-Live downloading new trailers every time you launch an old disc :gonk:. Thankfully that can be safely disabled.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/PhysicalMedia_/status/1782454476126945357

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s the movie I originally got Netflix for back in 2004 because I couldn’t find a disc of it locally.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I first saw that in the 90s when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and my mom asked me if there was anything I wanted while I was recovering. I asked for a strawberry shake from Burger King and for her to rent me some movies, Meet the Feebles being one I knew was at the video store by my house. I was familiar with Peter Jackson, as I owned and loved Dead/Alive (Braindead) and had a copy of Bad Taste copied from a falling apart rental tape. Nothing really prepared me for Feebles though. Day One purchase but I really want Dead/Alive to get a quality 4k. I have the Blu, it's fine (apparently really rare too), but a packed special edition would make my day.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A reminder that it’s Peter Jackson’s company that did the AI assisted cleanup for the recent James Cameron discs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

A reminder that it’s Peter Jackson’s company that did the AI assisted cleanup for the recent James Cameron discs.

What would be more upsetting? If they kept on with the AI awfulness and it looks awful like True Lies and Aliens, or they give it up and manually remaster it but without going back to the movies they screwed up?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dorium posted:

So what? That's what James Cameron wanted. Blame him.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

dorium posted:

Didn't his company also "clean up" footage of The Beatles for that new documentary that looked terrible?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SilentChaz posted:

Didn't his company also "clean up" footage of The Beatles for that new documentary that looked terrible?

yep

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

because Peter also feels the same the way James does.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ok, so they're both dorks. Thanks for the info I guess.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The lord of the rings 4k looks great though.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

does that ww1 footage restoration he did look bad?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The Saucer Hovers posted:

does that ww1 footage restoration he did look bad?

It did but it was so interesting seeing footage from that era without all the jump cuts, shakiness, etc and in sort of color that I got past it pretty quickly

edit: it called They Shall Not Grow Old, if anyone cares