Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah They Shall Not Grow Old looked really cool at the time and the effects played well on the big screen. I wonder if I revisit it now if it just looks too unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I thought it was really interesting and kinda mind boggling to see They Shall Not Grow Old, but definitely I don't think he should've started applying that tech to things that weren't 100 year old newsreel footage

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mac posted:

I thought it was really interesting and kinda mind boggling to see They Shall Not Grow Old, but definitely I don't think he should've started applying that tech to things that weren't 100 year old newsreel footage
That’s pretty much it. What he did there was novel but doing it to movies with good source material is dumb and produces lovely results.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, They Shall Not Grow Old is the only use case for that tech, in my opinion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

I first saw that in the 90s when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and my mom asked me if there was anything I wanted while I was recovering. I asked for a strawberry shake from Burger King and for her to rent me some movies, Meet the Feebles being one I knew was at the video store by my house. I was familiar with Peter Jackson, as I owned and loved Dead/Alive (Braindead) and had a copy of Bad Taste copied from a falling apart rental tape. Nothing really prepared me for Feebles though. Day One purchase but I really want Dead/Alive to get a quality 4k. I have the Blu, it's fine (apparently really rare too), but a packed special edition would make my day.

For some reason I revisited the BK shake recently, but have not revisited Feebles. I did like it though! I gotta rewatch PJ's stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Meet the Feebles asks the question: Can a movie with puppets be gross? Yes, yes it can. I’ve never met anyone else in real life who’s seen it.

My The Departed UHD shipped and should show up tomorrow. Amazon being whacky with their estimates. Street date was yesterday, I got an email pushing it to the beginning of May, and now it’s only going to be 2 days late.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, They Shall Not Grow Old is the only use case for that tech, in my opinion.
What’s annoying is that in the special features, Jackson talks about how there’s so much more footage that didn’t make it into the movie. He could be using the tech to bring more of it to life instead of loving around with movies that would look great with proper restoration work.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So what? That's what James Cameron wanted. Blame him.

I doubt he's even seen them the whole way through.

They did a poo poo job on these films, and a poo poo job on the Beatles doc.
LOTR 4k aint "great" either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A friend bought me Meet the Feebles as a gift a few years back and I still haven’t had the motivation to watch it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's... a lot. I havent seen it since high school when I was an edgy teen, but even then it was still kinda off putting. I would rewatch it now as an adult though. I should track down a copy.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's posted on YouTube.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

The lord of the rings 4k looks great though.

If by great you mean worse than the blu-ray, sure.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have those super fancy special edition Lord of the Ring DVD sets and I'll never part with them. Every time I see shots from the blu-ray versions of the film they look... not good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This song does pop in my head a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulb0pLBgRCw

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If the M60 massacre had had a mishap Jackson’s name would be in the same category as Landis’s today.

The claim is they were having too much trouble sourcing 7.62 blanks. So they just bought live rounds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What’s the deal with the lawn gnome on the VS website?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gnomeo and juliet release

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Deer Hunter sequence in Meet the Feebles is wild stuff

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What’s the deal with the lawn gnome on the VS website?

May 1 they announce the new lineup of preorders

The known ones are China O'Brien 1 and 2, and Homegrown Horror vol 3 (Hauntedween, Revenge and Deadly Love)

The gnome pic is teasing a preorder of a film from VSP, their production label (prior releases include Censor, New York Ninja, Scary of Sixty First, Sick of Myself and Divinity). Likely a new release, given all of those either immediately came off of festival circuits or straight up theatrical+VOD releases before the VS announcements; my assumption is it's Riddle of Fire, which is getting great reviews https://www.indiewire.com/news/trailers/riddle-of-fire-trailer-1234953151/ https://letterboxd.com/film/riddle-of-fire/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9_MMc26Cg

quote:

Three mischievous children embark on an odyssey when their mother asks them to run an errand. On the hunt to obtain her favorite blueberry pie, the children are kidnapped by poachers, battle a witch, outwit a huntsman, befriend a fairy, and bond together to become best friends forever.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah that's a 100% a movie that would end up on VS.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

June Warner Archive:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941, Alfred Hitchcock)
The Man I Love (1947, Raoul Walsh)
Act of Violence (1948, Fred Zinneman)
The Alaskans: The Complete Series (1959-60)
The Flash: The Complete Series (1990-91)

The three feature films include cartoons and trailers, plus radio shows. All are from new 4K scans, with the shows and The Man I Love being from the original camera negatives.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith is now the final American Hitchcock film to make it to Blu-ray... though, the Blu-rays for Lifeboat, Spellbound, and The Paradine Case are currently out of print (thanks, Disney).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Digital bits gave andor 4k a pretty good review and my excitement level is rising.
https://thedigitalbits.com/item/andor-s1-disney-2024-uhd

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m honestly surprised it’s getting one, though in a good way

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

dorium posted:

It's... a lot. I havent seen it since high school when I was an edgy teen, but even then it was still kinda off putting. I would rewatch it now as an adult though. I should track down a copy.

Teenage me thought it was juvenile. I can only imagine my adult take.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat Oppenheimer looks great in 4k. I haven’t cracked open it yet but yeah. It’s the dark knight of this format. (Tdk on Blu ray was special)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kingtheninja posted:

Digital bits gave andor 4k a pretty good review and my excitement level is rising.
https://thedigitalbits.com/item/andor-s1-disney-2024-uhd

Yeah someone on YouTube has comparison screenshots and it looks like a massive detail increase. It's an often dark show and Disney+ looks like mush.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Meet the Feebles works for, like, 12 minutes tops but Jackson commits to the bit and I respect that.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

dorium posted:

A reminder that it’s Peter Jackson’s company that did the AI assisted cleanup for the recent James Cameron discs.

SilentChaz posted:

Didn't his company also "clean up" footage of The Beatles for that new documentary that looked terrible?

oh poo poo, i forgot about Jackson's penchant for lovely AI upscaling crap like that. now i'm worried that we just bought tickets to spend 12 hours over 3 days watching plasticized puppets when Fathom shows the LotR trilogy in June

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

There is a 4K version of Meet The Feebles that they're possibly going to put on the disc that has been officially released onto Youtube, so maybe that will give you an idea as to what the final product might look like?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the dark knight of this format. (Tdk on Blu ray was special)

Uhm, it was kinda famous for being bad. DNR, EE, over-contrasted as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk I don’t remember. It looked better than the dvd which looked like poo poo and one of the reasons why I finally made the switch to Blu ray

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Right, the DVD was scandalously bad, to the point that people were speculating whether it was deliberate to get people to buy the BD.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Steen71 posted:

If by great you mean worse than the blu-ray, sure.

Yeah I love that piss yellow tint all over the blu ray

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There's really no reason to get all worked up over DVDs and Blu-rays, guys, when there's perfectly-smeary UHDs upon which to focus our collective ire

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steen71 posted:

Right, the DVD was scandalously bad, to the point that people were speculating whether it was deliberate to get people to buy the BD.

I believe it honestly. It worked.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I love that piss yellow tint all over the blu ray

Green, not yellow. And it was only Fellowship. And at least you can dial that out by changing the colour temperature.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the main issue with Lord of the Rings was just that it was some of the best blending of CG effects with practical stuff we'd seen since Jurassic Park. So inevitably the UHD was going to expose some of the CG in ways that can sometimes break your immersion where that was not happening in previous releases.

Still think the UHDs were an upgrade but like a lot of early 2000s films it was always going to be a mixed bag of pros and cons.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Basebf555 posted:

I think the main issue with Lord of the Rings was just that it was some of the best blending of CG effects with practical stuff we'd seen since Jurassic Park. So inevitably the UHD was going to expose some of the CG in ways that can sometimes break your immersion where that was not happening in previous releases.

Still think the UHDs were an upgrade but like a lot of early 2000s films it was always going to be a mixed bag of pros and cons.

I still thought it looked pretty good. But I go into that era expecting some of the cgi to look kind of spotty anyway so that never really bothers me.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Is Peter Jackson known for going back and loving around with his own work or has it just been for those documentaries he did and other peoples stuff?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The D in Detroit posted:

Is Peter Jackson known for going back and loving around with his own work or has it just been for those documentaries he did and other peoples stuff?

I don't remember a specific instance of him doing a George Lucas or like something along the lines of what Wong Kar-wai did for that Criterion set, no.

He has released big extended editions for a lot of it though, mainly the six Tolkien films and King Kong. And one of the scenes he added to King Kong was egregiously bad(the dinosaur stampede scene).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember a specific instance of him doing a George Lucas or like something along the lines of what Wong Kar-wai did for that Criterion set, no.

He has released big extended editions for a lot of it though, mainly the six Tolkien films and King Kong. And one of the scenes he added to King Kong was egregiously bad(the dinosaur stampede scene).

The dinosaur stampede is in the theatrical Kong, though I agree it's poo poo.