Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wow the rare box art that is just the original poster for the film. It's like finding a living dinosaur or Bigfoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

If you'd like to save yourself the $140 or whatever that costs, here's a very cool doc on First Avenue from PBS Minnesota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ifsWfX0V8

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/shout_studios/status/1785000315810406584?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That's amazing news. I don't think I need much more than a nice slipcover and poster, but I'm delighted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I have the Hellraiser Scarlet Box blu-ray, is the 4K Tetralogy set worth picking up?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That new artwork is pretty great. I wouldn't mind having that poster.

edit: I'm annoyed that the poster they included in the 25th anniversary was folded instead of rolled.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/scream_factory/status/1785006291896651987?s=46
HELLLLL YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH

saw this one of the first time last year on 35mm. So good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I used to watch that on showtime in the early 90s, but it was called "I come in peace".

My andor 4k was pushed back a week by Amazon. I put the order in a little over a month ago, hoping that means there's lots demand for it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Didn't ever expect that, I don't care too much about the extras but am happy to get UHF in 4K.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

dorium posted:

https://x.com/scream_factory/status/1785006291896651987?s=46
HELLLLL YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH

saw this one of the first time last year on 35mm. So good.

This was the movie that I thought I had hallucinated while I was sick with a fever as a kid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The alternate title is "I Come in Peace". That's what I knew it as for years and frankly is a much better title than the painfully generic "Dark Angel".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The alternate title is "I Come in Peace". That's what I knew it as for years and frankly is a much better title than the painfully generic "Dark Angel".

yeah when I saw it last year they billed it as "I Come in Peace: Dark Angel" because the programmer preferred the original name as well.

https://x.com/Scream_Factory/status/1784999166558585127

dorium fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 29, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

yeah when I saw it last year they billed it as "I Come in Peace: Dark Angel" because the programmer preferred the original name as well.

https://x.com/Scream_Factory/status/1784999166558585127

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3jMPjAcwg

pwn
May 27, 2004

Realizing i made two posts of videos on this page so to bring my shitpost quotient down slightly here is some quality physical media content.

There's a cool new video essay on Jaws from Patrick H Willems, i ain't embedding a third video but it is here. About ten minutes in he implores the viewer, if they have not yet seen Jaws, to stop and go watch it. So after 30-some years of having people tell me to watch Jaws I went to Amazon, found this nice 45th anniversary edition from 2020 that was only $21, and this weekend I finally watched the shark movie

It was great! I wish I could have seen it as a kid or whatever; having some key moments and lines burned into my brainstem from decades of pop cultural osmosis did take a bit of the fun away. The extras are a blast too, a documentary that's only 2 minutes shorter than the film, another 90-minute one, plus deleted scenes and what have you. Plus a proper booklet packed with photos, sketches, writings and anecdotes. I suppose there'll be some big to-do next year for the 50th but if you want a nice UHD/Blu-ray combo for a 2020 price you can't go wrong. Maybe I bought the last one because Amazon no longer has any but there's other sellers selling it about the same price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

pwn posted:

It was one person who came in here once and said "ig walmart has $5 steelies idk lol" so no reason to take it as gospel. It must have been the one store, since nobody else has reported finding any

Just found Belly 4K, Dirty Dancing 4K, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard 4K, John Wick, Sicario, and Ash Vs The Evil Dead in my local Walmart's $5 bin. I never stopped believing and now I can't stop winning.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout is also releasing The Boy and the Heron in 4K (GKIDS is touting it as the first Ghibli available in 4K, so hopefully the 80s/90s films are on the way), as well as Blu-rays of Who's That Girl?, Red Sonja, and Storytellers.

What's the consensus on selling multiple films in a lot versus individually? I was thinking of putting up a bunch of Twilight Time discs together on eBay to save the trouble of having to ship them separately.

pwn
May 27, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Just found Belly 4K, Dirty Dancing 4K, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard 4K, John Wick, Sicario, and Ash Vs The Evil Dead in my local Walmart's $5 bin. I never stopped believing and now I can't stop winning.

:eyepop: mea culpa. Good work

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout is also releasing The Boy and the Heron in 4K (GKIDS is touting it as the first Ghibli available in 4K, so hopefully the 80s/90s films are on the way)

Hell yea. I cannot afford to upgrade 2 dozen movies but I too hope for such releases. Saw Spirited Away in the theatre this weekend it was great. Subs, always watched it dubbed, reading it in a theatre packed with other dweebs was a fun time! Very sad I missed Boy and the Heron on the big screen.

Egbert Souse posted:

and Storytellers.

So goddamned close.

When lord when.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

So goddamned close.

When lord when.

https://x.com/disc_connected/status/1784978642063290846
just a misspelling.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thank you lord. I am sated.

Edit: And Shout! had the good sense to just use the original art. This is truly a blessed day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there anywhere you can get OOP blu-rays without paying ebay jerkoff prices?

(Among other things I would like a copy of Freaked.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Is there anywhere you can get OOP blu-rays without paying ebay jerkoff prices?

(Among other things I would like a copy of Freaked.)

You can always try googling. In February I found a new slipped Arrow release I was a few years late to the party on at Frightmare Collectibles, an independent horror shop in Texas. The title was still in print but the slips weren't and Region A copies were going for jerkoff prices on ebay. Sometimes stuff gathers dust on the brick and mortar shelves.

To be clear that specific place does sell stuff based on market rates but the title I bought (Lake Michigan Monster) was still priced as it was when they presumably got it back in 2020. I also do this for records, found some cool shops that way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If there’s a Half Priced Books near you they can check their whole system to see if any locations have a copy, and if so have it shipped to your location.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

You can always try googling. In February I found a new slipped Arrow release I was a few years late to the party on at Frightmare Collectibles, an independent horror shop in Texas. The title was still in print but the slips weren't and Region A copies were going for jerkoff prices on ebay. Sometimes stuff gathers dust on the brick and mortar shelves.

To be clear that specific place does sell stuff based on market rates but the title I bought (Lake Michigan Monster) was still priced as it was when they presumably got it back in 2020. I also do this for records, found some cool shops that way.

Records are for losers!

Also: "Frightmarecollectibles.com is temporarily closed for Texas Frightmare Weekend. The website will reopen on June 7th.". Boo, say I.

Gripweed posted:

If there’s a Half Priced Books near you they can check their whole system to see if any locations have a copy, and if so have it shipped to your location.

I've never even seen a Half Priced Books. I'm guessing if any are around they're probably closer to Boston.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Charles Ford posted:

When I wanted to grab a blu-ray of Terrorvision the only option (at least at the time) was a double feature with The Video Dead. I'd never heard of that but needs must, and since I'd bought it anyway I gave it a watch and it was fine, so I guess if they bundle movies I want with movies I might like that's kind of okay.

Before blu-rays proliferated, I went to the JB Hi-Fi near my work with a friend and we both ended up picking up a Kate Winslet DVD set that was a package of Little Children and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. There may have been a third movie, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what it might have been.

I need to have a dig around my old DVDs to see if I can find it, actually.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby: hell yeah

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785098715352465441

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pwn posted:

If you'd like to save yourself the $140 or whatever that costs, here's a very cool doc on First Avenue from PBS Minnesota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ifsWfX0V8

Only tangentially related but PBS MN also made a great doc about Minnesota punk/hardcore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zVO5Ug0zA&pp=ygUTTWlubmVzb3RhIGhhcmRjb3JlIA%3D%3D

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/indicatorseries/status/1785264834117800172?s=46

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1785328396894900523

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a movie

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
drat that's some incredibly low effort cover art.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

$41 holy moly.

I’ll wait for a blu-ray.com review before I drop that kind of coin.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Their steels always are priced extravagantly but by the time it comes out it's like $25

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea a lot of these releases are handled that way for whatever reason, the initial price listing will be $40+ but it comes down almost immediately. I guess maybe they get some people to jump and preorder at the higher price, I dunno.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I did preorder purple rain at 40 yesterday lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea a lot of these releases are handled that way for whatever reason, the initial price listing will be $40+ but it comes down almost immediately. I guess maybe they get some people to jump and preorder at the higher price, I dunno.
Which is odd because at least with Amazon they have preorder price protection. They wait to actually charge you until the movie or book ships, and then you get it for the actual price on release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I did preorder purple rain at 40 yesterday lol

I suppose with every release there will be die hard fans that are saying to themselves "I could wait and save like $10 or $15, but what if this is one of those steelbooks that sells out and then they don't do a standard release for like 2 or 3 years. gently caress it I'll pay the $40".

pwn
May 27, 2004

I hate to sound like an infomercial but when you preorder on Amazon you get the lowest price when it ships.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose with every release there will be die hard fans that are saying to themselves "I could wait and save like $10 or $15, but what if this is one of those steelbooks that sells out and then they don't do a standard release for like 2 or 3 years. gently caress it I'll pay the $40".

so far with these steels on amazon the price usually adjusts like a month before release. The only time that didnt happen for me was Paprika.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pwn posted:

I hate to sound like an infomercial but when you preorder on Amazon you get the lowest price when it ships.

Sure, but I’m not enthusiastic about rolling the dice on if they’re actually going to lower the price or if this will be the one time they stick to their guns and it Actually Is Forty Dollarydoos.

I try to stick to my rule of not preordering Blu-rays until blu-ray.com does their review, I’d feel extra stupid if I dropped $40 and then the transfer ends up being DNR’d trash or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
On that subject, The Crow got a very positive review on bluray.com. Looking forward to that one next week.