Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Mute Witness getting a proper release is a huge win for me. That movie is so good and no one ever talks about it.

Although it's coming from Arrow and their customer service sucks rear end now. Still waiting for my Coffin Joe replacement disc to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Plus the image can be less compressed than a standard Blu-ray. I still think the next improvement in PQ that actually makes a difference to most people won't be 8K but uncompressed video for home releases - 300GB per a movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A Speed Racer 4K is something that should already exist. Hoping it comes to fruition.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

A Speed Racer 4K is something that should already exist. Hoping it comes to fruition.

speed racer is second for me only to the robin williams movie Toys for movies I think would benefit from 4k HDR/Dolby because the visuals are insane

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Well, I just bought the Tron Legacy and Speed Racer Blu-Rays after finally finding them in the wild in a way to tell the universe to hurry up and make those 4Ks. Thank me later.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Well, I just bought the Tron Legacy and Speed Racer Blu-Rays after finally finding them in the wild in a way to tell the universe to hurry up and make those 4Ks. Thank me later.

if that's how it works I'm going to buy a couple dozen dvd copies of Toys

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not related to the current discussion, but if any of you bought and enjoyed Bio-Zombie I’d definitely recommend picking up Bullets Over Summer during VS’s next partner label sale. Very similar vibe of “losers slowly becoming not-losers”. Really fun take on the standard Hong Kong ‘heroic bloodshed’ cop movie that’s a borderline Naked Gun level parody at times.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not related to the current discussion, but if any of you bought and enjoyed Bio-Zombie I’d definitely recommend picking up Bullets Over Summer during VS’s next partner label sale. Very similar vibe of “losers slowly becoming not-losers”. Really fun take on the standard Hong Kong ‘heroic bloodshed’ cop movie that’s a borderline Naked Gun level parody at times.

Sounds good! So many cool ones to check out, HK movies were on fire for decades.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I really liked that one a lot and thought Bio-Zombie was just okay. It's ostensibly a cop movie but really more one of those grungey nineties movies about being an aimless gen-x loser but the two dudes just happen to be cops.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Bought the bare bones Blu-ray for Little Big Man so expect a packed 4k to be announced in the next week.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has anyone ever has new blu-rays come with what looks like some kind of polish residue on the discs? I got two copies of Sailor Moon SuperS at one has so much of it that it's even on the case and the second has much less and largely only on the shiny side of the discs. It wipes off (visually) easily.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1774451595998294455?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MY FAITH HAS BEEN REWARDED

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a shame it isnt getting a 4k release but at least its out of the streaming dungeons.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Shiroc posted:

polish residue

Like kielbasa grease?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

That stuff has shown up on a few discs from Scream / Shout Factory and I heard stories about it happening on some Kino titles too. Shout Factory called it "off-gassing" and ignored any other comments or questions about it. The Chucky 4ks in particular were covered with this stuff. My guess is, it's from the plastic being used, which is clearly a cheaper case. It wipes off with a soft rag and won't harm your player but it's also probably a sign that companies are cutting corners. Scream Factory charges something like $30 - $35 per disc so they could probably spend a few more pennies on quality cases to avoid the discs I'm buying from them covered in some weird oil.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/realgdt/status/1774566689784447039?s=46

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Well, guess I'm getting Cronos and another copy of Crimson Peak

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thats the limited edition coming from Arrow, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm happy to see that he hasn't completely disowned Mimic. I was worried we'd never see a 4k release on that one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm happy to see that he hasn't completely disowned Mimic. I was worried we'd never see a 4k release on that one.

I believe he's said that he considers Mimic one of his favorite works.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I believe he's said that he considers Mimic one of his favorite works.

I think it's great. I'd read that his experience making it and his interactions with the studio were pretty terrible though, so it took him a while to want to do a Hollywood movie again after that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Blade II hell yeah!

Now give me Blade Trinity

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dorium posted:

Now give me Blade Trinity

Why do you hate yourself?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A complete Blade box set that includes the TV series and the anime

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gonna be funny if I have 4K Mimic and everything else on Blu-ray. I haven’t gotten around to getting The Shape of Water or Nightmare Alley so at least those won’t be double dips. I just got the Criterion Pinocchio.

Blade II Is what I consider his weakest movie. Not sure why some people think it’s better than the original.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

To be honest, I would legit laugh if Park Road Post does all the transfers like they did with James Cameron.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Daddy's Dying, Who's Got the Will? and Coupe de Ville on UHD/Blu-ray when.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ultraviolence123 posted:

That stuff has shown up on a few discs from Scream / Shout Factory and I heard stories about it happening on some Kino titles too. Shout Factory called it "off-gassing" and ignored any other comments or questions about it. The Chucky 4ks in particular were covered with this stuff. My guess is, it's from the plastic being used, which is clearly a cheaper case. It wipes off with a soft rag and won't harm your player but it's also probably a sign that companies are cutting corners. Scream Factory charges something like $30 - $35 per disc so they could probably spend a few more pennies on quality cases to avoid the discs I'm buying from them covered in some weird oil.

Of all the things that could make disc purchases worse, cheap plastic that offgasses weird oil would absolutely not have been on my list of predictions.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I might be late to the party but I didn't realize Arrow has a big sale right now. Picked up that 14 movie HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS and preordered American Gigolo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/physicalmedia_/status/1774793210994532794?s=46

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone know what the VS Votes thing actually gets you? I ordered it because of course I did. Apparently there's more info coming on 4/20 (LOL)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

Never Forget

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone know what the VS Votes thing actually gets you?
I'm assuming another exclusive slip you can only get with the VS Votes purchase that you probably won't see until after Black Friday.

There's also apparently 10 Fatal Games slips that have all expense paid trips to VS Headquarters that no one's claimed 'cause no one's scratching them (including me :lol: )

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

I'm assuming another exclusive slip you can only get with the VS Votes purchase that you probably won't see until after Black Friday.

There's also apparently 10 Fatal Games slips that have all expense paid trips to VS Headquarters that no one's claimed 'cause no one's scratching them (including me :lol: )

oh poo poo i didnt hear about this

maybe i will scratch...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Ah. I didn't know this was a re-occuring bit. So the Fatal Games scratch-off slip case was from 4/23.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

caligulamprey posted:

The price seems a bit steep for just a slipcover.

Also lol yeah I haven’t touched my Fatal Games slipcover either.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ok so its just the golden versions of the Fatal Games alt slips that have the chance to win those trips. Not the grey ones.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm not gonna buy the April fools slipcover so it will most definitely end up being insanely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI:

Crimson Peak - Arrow (coming May 21) upgrade of their previous Blu-ray
Mimic - Kino Lorber (coming this year) licensed from Paramount
Cronos - Criterion (probably coming within the next year)
Blade II - Warner did their own 4K of the original, but could possibly be a Scream Factory license.