Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Finally biting the bullet and getting into hard copies after being so jerked around by different streaming services and rising prices. I've been trolling ebay and flea markets, and SA-Mart, but does anyone have other tips for building up a critical mass of media?
I thankfully have the benefit of living in Portand and being a supporter of the local non-profit video rental place, so it's not critical for me to get everything I want to watch before I can watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

and dont feel like you need to buy EVERYTHING, you'll go insane

what in the hell are you talking about, I already KNOW I need to buy everything

no but for this I am very grateful for https://moviemadness.org/, I've been hitting it up at least once a week since March. I get rent one/get one, on account of my monthly membership. Comes with lots of perks at the non-profit theater in town, too. I also volunteer at the theater, so it's gotten really affordable to have a crippling movie habit.

FrumpleOrz posted:

If you're going the used route, check thrift stores regularly. It's all a numbers game. Most of the time they'll have nothing great but make a regular habit of it (like weekly while you're grocery shopping or something), you'll start finding more and more decent stuff.

I'm insufferably cheap, so this is definitely gonna be a big plan for me. Haven't seen any 4k pickings, but I just had a big get of some blu-ray boxed sets for Star Wars, Alien, and LotR. Nice to simply have those handled and not have the itch every time I see a perceived deal on them.

Big Mac fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 14, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh, and lastly...let yourself be surprised. If you see something at a store you've never seen and it sparks some joy, pick it up and give it a shot. Collecting is cool but actually watching your collection and being surprised by blind buys is its own special delight.

I rented the Criterion of Deep Cover the other week, it was phenomenal and exactly this sort of experience. I'll keep this advice in mind!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Oh and what the hell does everyone do to store an ever-growing number of movies?? I've been eyeing IKEA Billy shelves but I don't know where I'd put them in my place...

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I've been struggling watching Shout Factory releases of his stuff. I couldn't promise that any of them have captions, and watching Starcrash last night was an adventure in wildly inconsistent audio levels.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I managed to score a LG 4k player at the flea market for $8 today - incredible feeling finding something for cheaper than the discs it plays.
Works great, too! Haven't watched any 4K discs on it yet, but the upscaling seems fantastic

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Gruv.com has the preorder of Universal's third and final collection of Hitchcock UHDs:
https://www.gruv.com/product/the_alfred_hitchcock_classics_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

I see it's just the 8 discs, I assume it's a basic multi-disc snap case? Is there much to speak of for bonus features?
14 movies for $150 is a good deal, for sure, but I don't know if I'd rather just go for smaller or more boutique collections for stuff like Hitchcock. I know there's got to be great commentary and featurettes out there.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

SeductiveReasoning posted:

My brother have you seen what VistaVision looks like in 4K???

Also no, they use a book-like packaging with sleeves on the outside edges. One side blu-ray, the other 4k. And I think a lot do include commentaries but the only one I've listened to so far is for Vertigo.

God, I totally blanked on it being 4k! This is a terribly good point and I don't think my wallet is ready

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Popped in the blu-ray of the BBC Pride and Prejudice for the first time. Incredible master, the quality of the image was ten times what I had hoped for. Great reminder of why I got into this expensive habit.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

god dammit cash is as tight as it gets this month, and I was already sorely tempted by the Mallrats Special Edition

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Red posted:

It's very much a movie that you're tied to because you saw it when you were wayyyy younger. If you waited to see it until 5 years ago, it probably doesn't carry the same weight.

First time I heard of it, let alone saw it, was a 35mm screening last year. Knocked my socks off.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

home TV channel

is this what I dream of, where there's just always something you'd enjoy playing? Just cue up 3 weeks of shows and movies and tune in whenever you'd care to?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

oh my god

that is so loving cool

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'm not terribly surprised. Probably half of the Best Buys in my city don't stock discs at all anyways. It's hard to imagine that corner of the store draws many people, and for sure they can't be pulling much profit margin on a rack of mostly $10-20 editions.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Friend of mine got an email from criterion saying their site was having a half off flash sale starting at noon ET today, which should be about 2 and a half hours from this post.

Oh great, I'm wanting a 4k of Solaris so I think I'll go for the blu-ray!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

esperantinc posted:

Well I guess if I buy stuff today that's less money I'll have to spend during the Barnes and Noble sale next month?

It's true - this really is the most responsible thing you can do. Make sure to buy enough for the free shipping, so that you can spend save even more money

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

My concern isn't so much about disc rot as much as that I'm a big rewatcher of my movies, I watch them all the time. So the process of taking them out of the case, playing them, taking them out of the player, back in the case and repeat, there's some inherent risk in doing that over and over again for 15 or 20 years especially with UHDs which are more sensitive to minor damage.

I've looked at Blu-ray changers to get something easy for binging shows on disc - I've never taken the leap, as blu-ray changers are VERY expensive, and all second hand at this point.
Not necessarily a perfect solution, especially since I'd be stunned if there were any 4k ones in the world, but it would certainly be a road worth pursuing for you blu-ray discs.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

My discs from the Criterion flash sale just showed up, hot drat! I wasn't expecting to see them before next week

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'd love a Criterion update on The Rock but also Armageddon for sure
That commentary is the stuff of legends. I picked up the Criterion DVD of it a while back.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The question is whether you sort those numerical numbers alphabetically, or numerically.
eight, eighteen, eighty, eighty-eight, eighty-five, eighty-four, eighty-nine, eighty-one, eighty-seven, eighty-six, eighty-three, eighty-two, eleven, fifteen, fifty, fifty-eight....

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ready for this - are these going to be pre-orders, or available on Black Friday, or???

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Good enough. I'll be ready.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

This Best Buy sale is pretty hardcore, there's a lot of stuff I'm seeing in the sub $10 range that I'm gonna struggle not to buy.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I been in the game too long, I own all of these already 😭. What I really need to stock up on are all those delicious 4K studio classics from Kino Lorber. But they never go below $20.

It's ok, if you need the thrill of buying things you can always just have them sent to my address

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

LiterallyATomato posted:

Can anyone recommend a good 4K Blu-ray player?

I can't speak to anything besides the one I own, the LG UBK80, but it's served me well. I definitely wasn't planning to spring for one, but I found it for eight loving dollars at a flea market.

So I'd recommend you do something like that, if you can.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I jumped into action when I saw this post. I've been begging the nonprofit cinema I volunteer at to show this movie.

Big Mac fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 14, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

dorium posted:

ah cool alright.

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1725577023400091842?s=20
4K His Girl Friday... I'd like to own that.

These releases and boxes are definitely cool, but how in the hell am I supposed to fit them on my shelf

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

pwn posted:

My mans Weinstein got his rear end locked up and he owns the film outright. Kevin Smith won't pay him for it. So we wait...

I thought Weinstein wasn't open to selling, just to be lovely

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

dorium posted:

Universal has got to be pooping their diapers over the Oppenheimer sales numbers. I don't even think Barbie sold this well physically on its first week where it was sold out in local and in online stores.

Real glad I bit the bullet and grabbed that steelbook before it sold out. Now to clear my calendar so I can sit down and watch everything.

Yeah, I'm planning to pick up Barbie since it's on big sale at Best Buy, but haven't check the stock levels. Hopefully soon there's a version with better special features, the amount of care and love that everyone involved with the production seems to have for it is very promising for it to be a rich bounty.

I did preorder the Oppenheimer steelbook, my partner enjoyed the movie p well but for me it's the poster boy for the thread title.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Waited too long to bite the bullet on that Twilight Zone set - wanted to hear back if my dad had a Blu-ray player. Should've just ordered and kept it for myself if he didn't.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

pwn posted:

They should just do another pressing of the steelbook and level the scalper market.

I just checked and, seriously? The Best Buy steelbook is going for ~$150??

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Looks like I'm not gonna blind buy Cemetery Man - theater I can't stay away from is having a screening of the new 4k remaster. Yeehaw!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'm at Movie Madness in Portland at least once a week. 90,000+ titles, run by a nonprofit that also runs the Hollywood Theatre (where I volunteer all the time). They've got lots of original costumes and props on display, they have free screenings in their cute little screening room, there's beer and popcorn, etc etc etc. It's magic.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if a place like Movie Madness has benefited from the blu ray era and how blu ray discs are less prone to damage than DVDs were.

As someone who worked at Blockbuster through a big part of the DVD era, something that killed our ability to maintain a large catalogue of films was just the fragility of DVDs. An older film might've had 2 or 3 copies on the shelf to start, but all it ever took was maybe a few rentals to get them all scratched up. Then of course that would be it, the company wasn't gonna spend a bunch of money restocking older films just to have the discs scratched up again. So a few years after the conversion to DVD most Blockbusters had gone through this process of attrition where they barely had anything on the shelves anymore unless it was a new release. So it became a business all about just the new releases each week, which they would stock us up with like 30 copies of, then after a few weeks when the movie wasn't popular anymore those extra copies would just be destroyed.

There's lots of blu-rays, sure especially the new releases. But a HUGE number of DVDs. I couldn't say what they rent out more of, but I'd guess like 60-70% of the not-new release catalog is DVD. I've never had a bum disc from them, either.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the difference is that Blockbuster was catering to EVERYONE, whereas Movie Madness mostly caters to the dorks who aren't gonna stream something. I remember knowing so many people who would leave discs laying around without putting them back in the case. I don't think those people watch stuff they can't stream.

There's 4k stuff, as well, of course. And VHS for is available for more stuff than you'd expect. There have also been some things I've rented that I could've sworn were bootlegs - I rent Hellzapoppin' a couple months ago, that was on DVD-R.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I did even more searching and found that Amazon Canada has 8 copies available. 7 now. They won't ship to the US but I've got a friend who was willing to reship it for me.

I gotta get looped in on this!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ok here's a question that feels almost insane to even consider - has anyone in the world ever swapped the guts of a DVD changer to play blu-rays or 4k discs? There's so, so many DVD changers in the world, especially compared to Blu-ray changers. And I've never heard of a 4k compatible one.
It's so incredibly far from necessary, but that doesn't mean I can't dream!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm actively hoping FYE dies off (they're a pyramid scheme).

Ok, I'll bite. I gotta hear more about this.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dr. Sviet! The man who occasionally puts right wing rants into his reviews (read the Walker one of you want a great example of missing the loving point).

I just watched this twice this week, for the first time. Definitely reading this madness right now!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

This Criterion flash sale email showed up literally moments after I saw that my tax return deposited. RIP to all my plans of financial responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I wouldn't be at all surprised if companies like Netflix negotiate restrictions on physical releases for shows like Friends and Seinfeld. Besides that, if you can keep leasing the rights to streaming companies, it's a steady stream of money with no cost besides the lawyers.

Anyways just relented and ordered the Solid Metal Nightmares boxed set. I come back to it monthly, and I had $30 in amazon credit, so I figured I'd finally blow the money.