Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The first DVD I rented was K-PAX :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Smithereens sounds like something I might like.

I've never heard of that but it looks interesting. I like Desperately Seeking Susan, which was apparently the director's followup to this.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Some of my favorites:

House, mentioned above is pretty much the quintessential "crazy movie you've never heard of" that's fun to show people.

Grey Gardens is my favorite documentary ever, and it comes with the "sequel" that was constructed from alternate footage, which is as good as the original film itself.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World, which comes with the absurdly long 197 minute reconstructed version.

The first two are only physically available on Criterion, while Mad Mad World is available on a cheap Blu-Ray. It's only worth it for the extended version.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The only Arrow release I've ever wanted is The Apartment, but that will never be cheap, apparently.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The worst packaging I've experienced is the Twilight Zone complete series Blu-ray. The disc hubs use two small but very rigid clips to secure the disc. Removing the disc requires prying/flexing the disc way past my comfort level. Reinserting it requires pushing the clear center portion with so much force that I'm convinced I'm going to crack the disc every single time. Luckily I haven't cracked any yet, but there's no reason packaging should make me sweat this much.
All the classic CBS TV blu ray releases are like that, I think. Star Trek is the same way. It's a shame because they're great sets for very cheap prices. And it's not like they cheaped out on the packaging, it's just poor design.

The best part is both my Star Trek and Twilight Zone had a few discs rattling around loose in there when I opened them. Given that there's no possible way for those discs to fall out of the holders once they're in, I can only assume they failed to insert some properly at manufacturing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Under H for Head.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Organize everything chronologically because that's how we think of films in a big way and it looks way cooler. Spine numbers don't mean anything.

I like this idea.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My problem with commentaries is if I haven't seen the movie in a while, I just want to watch the movie without commentary. And if I've seen it recently, I don't want to watch it again. So I really only watch commentaries on my favorite movies that I'm already very familiar with.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

My grandfather was one of the salesman in Salesman, so hoping that one gets reissued on blu. I never met my grandfather so it’d be cool to see him in high res :shrug: it would probably make my mom cry though lol

That's awesome. I love Salesman.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Is there any reason not to get the Universal Monster Collection from UK? It seems to be region free and has disc holders rather than just sleeves. It's also $20 cheaper.

Just didn't want to run into any gotchas.

If you mean the Essentials Collection, the UK version is fine. I don't know about the new complete collection.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RichterIX posted:

This isn't really the best thread for this but I can't think of where to ask and I can't check right now-- does the version of Freaks and Geeks currently on US Netflix have the replaced music? Trying to get someone to watch it but the music is pretty important so I don't want them to watch a worse version.

I can't confirm what's on there currently but I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and it had all sorts of licensed tracks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a Little Shop of Horrors Blu that has the original ending in fully-restored color actually edited into the movie? I know it exists as an SD black-and-white bonus feature on one, and I know there's been a theatrical release of it, but do any editions actually have the full thing watchable as originally intended?

Yeah it looks like the Blu-ray mentioning "director's cut" includes it. I was shocked the last time I watched it because I thought the ending still only existed in B&W.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They should re-do all blu-ray covers to make the main characters dressed up as Fortnite characters. Or insert them into funny memes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Barnes & Noble - Arrow Video 70%-OFF (50% + extra 20% off on orders over $40):
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/arrow-video-50-off/_/N-2rpv?Ns=P_Display_Name%7C0
(use code BLKFRIDAY)

Thanks for this. Technically 60% off though. 20% discount applies to discounted price.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, Amazon has the complete Twilight Zone set for just $42:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Twilight...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I recently got it from Best Buy for a then-lowest $65. Absolutely perfect quality - they even include both filtered and unfiltered audio, in addition to commentaries and music-only tracks.

The best special feature in this set is the four lectures from Rod Serling about four episodes from Season 1. They were recorded at some college in the 70s and he speaks very frankly about the episodes. And they let you listen to them as an audio track on the episodes, so it's essentially like getting four commentaries from Serling himself.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Universal's Marx Brother Silver Screen Collection for only $14.99 - for the next few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJKAKS/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup all from new 4K restorations. While the quality isn't perfect because the surviving elements were in rough shape, they blow away all previous editions. Plus, Animal Crackers is the original 1930 cut instead of the re-release version, so it has some good pre-code bits.

Awesome, thanks!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zatoichi rang up for me as £18.26, or $28.24 shipped to US. Thanks for the heads-up!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

UK Amazon cancelled my Zatoichi order. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The blue velvet Blu Ray is already really good and frequently goes for $6. I can't see myself double dipping for a Criterion release, though I like seeing more Lynch stuff on there, and the Revisited doc in the special features looks pretty great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

No, I am not paying $100 for Airheads on Blu-ray.

Tapeheads, on the other hand...

Man I want a Tapeheads release.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Alfred Hitchcock’s estate leaked on Facebook that Universal is releasing a new Hitchcock set this Fall.

No details, but it would be awesome if they did at least some in 4K. Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, Vertigo, and The Birds were all 4K masters (and Warner’s North by Northwest too).

I really just need to get a copy of North By Northwest and shove it in my cheap UK collection. That's my only gripe with that set.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/1142477362925146112?s=19

Lynch don't want you to buy the Kino Lorber release.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In general, I think people care way too much about original music in TV shows. It rarely ruins the enjoyment for me. The one that always stood out to me is Married with Children couldn't even license the theme song for a home release. But hey, it allowed them to sell that 21 disc set for like $25 which is what that show should cost.

The real crime is when studios put out TV shows using the cut syndicated episodes rather than the full length ones. There's no excuse for that (although usually it seems to happen by mistake).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

WKRP licensed a lot of music for its initial run but didn’t always have the rights for syndication and didn’t have them for DVD release either. The music was considered one of the reasons for the shows popularity. There are some episodes where specific songs were a plot point as well.

This is true but I watched the first season with soundalike music and enjoyed it just fine. At the time, the other seasons weren't available. Then Shoutfactory released all four seasons with most (all?) of the music in-tact, but it cost $100 for the set. I wasn't about to pay that, but I probably would have paid $15/season without the music.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

For some reason Australia for a complete Space Ghost Coast to Coast DVD, but the US didn't. There's so much poo poo that makes me want to go region free and I just keep not doing it.

That reminds me, I need to get around to selling my US Space Ghost Vol 4+5 before they re-release a full set and the value plummets. Or maybe they never will. Are studios just afraid of putting SD content on blu-rays because it's confusing?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The current discussion in horror thread got me wondering about something. I noticed that the invention of the DVD seemed to herald an era of non-theatrical cuts of films. I know that my family had letterbox editions of several movies on VHS in the 90's, but I doubt there really was anything major that would have prevented the release of an "Unrated" VHS.

I wonder what it was about DVD that made this happen. It may have simply been that for some reason the executives that be thought that people would buy multiple different cuts of films, or maybe it was simply an incentive to switching to a DVD player.

I always thought the "unrated" fad was more of a 2002-2005 thing, after DVD was established. But I just looked up American Pie and apparently it had an unrated version in 99.

Still, I think that was less a result of the DVD format and more because of the rise of sex comedies around the same time. There were certainly alternate editions of films that came out on VHS (Star Wars, for one).

edit: apparently the Unrated marketing gimmick goes back even further. Here's a VHS tape from 1995:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scandal-Un...=p2047675.l2557

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 2, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

SGC2C's production was so scrappy that I can't imagine HD versions not looking like trash.

I was more thinking they could just throw the whole series on to two blu-ray discs at SD resolution, but I wasn't aware of the Blu-Ray standard requiring the content be rendered at HD resolutions. I imagine that will prevent Adult Swim from reissuing any of their back catalog physically again.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My favorite pawn shop has been selling Blu-Rays for $1.50 and they have a pretty good selection. Last time I got Birdman, Alien, Macgruber, Mad Max, Mother, and Christmas Vacation.

They also have hundreds of DVDs for 50 cents but I don't usually get any of those unless they're Criterions or something weird.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

But when you push a button the theme music plays!

I got mine years after release and it sounds like one of those Big Mouth Billy Basses with a dying battery.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lynch is still active in the best way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lDwDYFmSs

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Still need to grab Clerks on BD.

Looks like it's hard to get ahold of now. It's too bad because the 15th anniversary Blu-ray was great. It contained all(?) the special features of the Clerks X 3-dvd set and could be bought for <$10.

I can find things to enjoy in Mallrats but I think Clerks is the only Kevin Smith film that I would actually call a very good movie.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've watched a 3D Blu Ray (Creature from the Black Lagoon) on a PSVR headset and it worked great. I assume there's ways to do that on PC VR setups too. That almost seems like a more accessible way to watch them these days than having a 3D TV.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Why would DVDs look worse on a 4k tv compared to 1080?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kvantum posted:

Well, he also turned down the chance to buy Netflix in 2000 in its entirety for $50 million USD. You know, the company now with a $223 BILLION market cap.

If Blockbuster bought Netflix in 2000, it never would have even launched a streaming service.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is it because people don't know or care about alternate audio tracks on movies?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

Crap I missed the Weird Al talk :( I have one of the few copies of Peter and the Wolf.

It's never too late. I wish I had that release.

:whatup:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got lucky at a thrift store today and got all of these for $2 each.

Apparently My Tutor is an OOP Scorpion Releasing movie, and worth a good amount.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Escape from New York commentary features several instances of Russell and Carpenter pointing out how hot the other's ex-wives are (both are in the movie). It's great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I know most of you don't have the room, but am I the only one who has a CRT for SD content? I picked up a 19" Sony Trinitron a few years ago for 99 cents and it's great for tv show sets and stuff, DVDs look fantastic on it as well as retro game systems. If anyone was considering picking one up I'd do it sooner than later cause they're getting harder to find and most thrift stores quit taking them.

I'd rather watch a DVD on my HDTV than a 19" CRT. It's widescreen, for one. And video content just looks better in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Nope. Just various sketches.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1IrdFAhed40OlQfyJ5Nh6TLO
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1Iqk6thrKuYE-TcX5hRxRXKJ
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1IqLEsxppSHMU1SNtm6-4JyT

They also have playlists for all full episodes with commentary, which is pretty awesome.