Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Demon Knight is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shout! Factory are saints. :getin:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They've already released Adam Rifkin's Psycho Cop Returns, I'm gonna need a Dark Backward BR outta Vinegar Syndrome sooner rather than later.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Both Blobs rule, however Beware the Blob is some bullshit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cabin Boy is the greatest and this is a miracle.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The problem I had with going to see 2001 in 70mm on a head full of :catdrugs: is I can't watch that movie outside of that context any more even though I stumble out of the theater in an existential crisis about how I haven't done anything with my life every time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The House on Haunted Hill remake is so good up until the last 20 minutes when it turns out to be a smoke monster with titties and the ghost of Chris Kattan saves everyone.

Think I'm gonna go on a hunt for that Criterion Female Trouble today.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Eventually they’re gunna have to realize 90s and 00s comedy exists
We need a stacked FREAKED Blu-ray that matches the two disc DVD special edition, although the Blu-ray has the greatest feature of all: it just restarts the movie after you finish watching it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Even if Arrow's version is a hair better, I still highly suggest Forbidden Zone if you're into vintage cartoons (and all the problematic stuff that tends to come with them), New Wave, titties and Satan.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The dude who directed It's Pat the Movie also directed the music videos for Push the Lil Daisies and Baby Got Back, so he gets a lifelong pass from me.

EDIT: I would like a feature that points out the uncredited rewrites Quentin Tarantino did on the script, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

Playboy: You were hired to do a rewrite of It’s Pat. As one now familar with the perspiring androgyne from Saturday Night Live, is Pat a he or a she?

Tarantino: The androgyny aspect is only a part of Pat’s appeal. What I love about the character is that Pat is so f*cking obnoxious. To tell the truth, I don’t know what Pat is. But I know what I want Pat to be: I want Pat to be a girl. There was only one sketch that Julia Sweeney, the actress who plays Pat did on Saturday Night Live that gave a clue to what Pat is. It was the sketch that Pat did with Harvey Keitel. They’re stranded on a deserted island and they have sex – and Harvey still doesn’t know what Pat is. And the thing is, they kissed in it. At one point they were thinking of taking the kiss out of the sketch. But Harvey, being Harvey, demanded they keep it in, that there’d be no integrity without the kiss. So that was the first time we’d seen Pat in an intimate situation – a smooch. There is a certain way that you hold your head, the way you come in for a kiss. And sitting there, watching it, I thought that Pat didn’t kiss like a guy. Pat kissed like a girl.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'll never point a finger at a movie and say it doesn't belong in glorious 1080P high definition when I'm achingly pining for a Blu-ray of Transylvania 6-5000.

EDIT: I also deeply treasure my double pack release of Student Bodies and the absolutely truly sublime Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again. I will always shill for that loving movie - if you like really really stupid, shamelessly funny poo poo, I'm talking Man With Two Brains/Freaked/Hot Rod levels of stupid, Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again is your jam.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 9, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hey, I’ve seen that dude around.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Liar Lyre posted:

This just popped up on my Twitter. Basically, Apple removed movies this guy bought on iTunes and won’t refund him, instead offering a few free rentals. Just another reason to stick with buying movies.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just getting to be an old curmudgeony gently caress when I go on rants about my distrust of The Cloud as a concept and how I don't "pay for air."

I might still be wrong, but I see stuff like this and I just nod.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

I also really think that Elvira Mistress of the Dark is somehow one of the movies that was most formative to me as a child.
I mean who doesn't love titties, puns and puns about titties?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

“Anything from those films that is available is, like, 1990s Telecine things, which is the best that we had… compared now, they look bloody awful,” Jackson told the podcast. “I just haven’t re-released them because, if I do, I want them to look really good. We’ve actually done some experiments. They look bloody fantastic. They look like they’re shot on 35mm.”

Do the original negatives not exist anymore or something?! Or is he talking specifically about Bad Taste being in 16mm?

Meet the Feebles isn't all that hot, but I'm excited to see it in a quality that's above a 10th generation bootleg.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This thread broke me and now I've got Indicator's Night of the Demon on the way, sight unseen (Because of the Blade Runner-ian amount of cuts). I'm excited!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The original Star Wars trilogy would (will) sell like gangbusters because Disney will tell the public that they need to have the original trilogy in their collection.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 15, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aren't the new Carpenter steelbooks from the new 4K remasters anyway?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Looks like the steelbook for The Thing is a new 4K remaster along with Halloween II and III. I thought it was all of 'em. Bummah.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vagabundo posted:

For an assessment a few years ago, a class of 16 year-olds I taught had to analyse a scene from a film, so I used Citizen Kane and the breakfast table montage. It was fascinating to watch, because I started with about 25 or 26 kids all bitching and moaning about watching a "movie that's old and gay and not even in colour" to a room full of kids absorbed by the film, and then seeing them all go "oh come ON!" at the end.
For all of its accolades and clout and reputation as being the greatest (American) film of all time, scholars and critics and the like never seem to point out that Citizen Kane is also entertaining as gently caress.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Their job on Killer Klowns from Outer Space is Criterion-tier good. It looks so goddamn good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Anyone who would prefer to watch Lord of the Rings instead of any pre-Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movie is a boring square.
Funny enough Jackson always preferred the shorter American cuts of his earlier films.

But I do hope we get the full NZ cut of Dead Alive when those 4K remasters roll in, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The fact that I just can't simply walk into any old store and pick up a copy of Joe Vs. the Volcano on Blu-ray is a crime. The Man with Two Brains even moreso.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I went to Fry's for the first time a month or two back and was surprised how sizable and varied their home video collection was in 2018, right down to the giant novelty Hershel Gordon Lewis Blu-ray box set sitting there on the shelf. Bought a copy of the Arrow Video release of Brain Damage. Respect.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun fact: the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge DVD box sets go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

And they're worth every loving penny.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've got this baby hanging over my toilet. It's a mood.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

People poo poo on Eli Roth and it feels justified most of the time, but he got those cannibals high by the main characters stuffing their weed stash into their friend's bloated corpse before it got cooked and that's the kind of stupid loving bullshit I'm 100% into.

But they've only announced an R-rated cut so far. I'm gonna hold my breath until they confirm the fully uncut version (which I'm assuming they will, but still).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Kuffs?

Really?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

poo poo.

YES.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mannnnnnnnnnnn when the gently caress will one of these boutique labels put Mom and Dad Save the World out in a 4K remaster. It's a really impeccably designed movie full of great practical effects.

(otherthanfortheobviousreasonsofcourse)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Everyone should own a copy of The Wrong Guy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scream Factory's problem is that they're always stuck with whatever the studio gives them and rarely ever does new masters but goddamn I need a Tom Atkins action figure in my life.

If only it were Dan Challis, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vagabundo posted:

Here's how you order the Planet of the Apes films

Planet of the Apes (Burton)
Planet of the Apes (Schaffner)
Planet of the Apes, Battle for the
Planet of the Apes, Beneath the
Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the
Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the
Planet of the Apes, Escape from the
Planet of the Apes, Rise of the
Planet of the Apes, War for the

Accept no substitutes.
For a split second my stoned rear end forgot you dudes were talking about organization and I got really angry at this list.

(Because Conquest is #1. Obviously.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oofa. I'm in save money mode due to Pitchfork Midwinter in Chicago this week but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, I need Stephen King's crowning jewel of a performance in the Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill in glorious 4k remastered 1080P high definition.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

gently caress that, my real answer is the next Scream Factory release I'm buying is the Willard remake and I will not settle for anything less.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wonder if Arrow still has the rights to the Russ Meyer films in the UK. Their DVDs were stacked with great features and insane commentary tracks from Meyers.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will buy the Crank films in every format they put it out on, Evil Dead Trilogy-style.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Crank gives no fucks for audience anticipation or lack thereof - Crank 3D will grace us with its presence when Crank 3D wants to.

This I truly believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love Weekend at Bernie's 2. It's made entirely of cocaine, bad decisions and legit island jams.