Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I glanced at the original OP for the previous thread, and feel we should keep this for old times sake

Or if you're really into the hobby, a region free player for around 140.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SimonCat posted:

What is a good region free blu ray player? I bought Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-Ray Player from 220-electronics.com and it has trouble reading certain discs. Lots of skipping around on anything that isn't in pristine condition.

The Region 1 Sony I bought from BestBuy doesn't have this problem.

I have the Sony s5200 which goes for 140$ used/refurb on Amazon. I've had zero problems so far. I actually traded my ps3 in to pay for it haha.

It's not 4k but is 3d (if you are into 3d)

I don't know of any good region free 4k players.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was just joking that that was the most insanely out of date advice ever.

Haha my bad, I still see people recommend consoles as bluray players, which is fine if you want to play console games and have no use for region free.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I mean it’s the same set in every way except just a bit thinner. But I guesssss that’s important to someone.

Aesthetics are important to peeps. You know this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...to be honest, I'd think the thin set is preferable unless it has really ugly art or something? :shrug:

I think I have the thin one, but I can understand wanting a specific packaging. I kept a few of my dvds for that reasoning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I prefer to have nicer packaging that sets itself apart from all the identical blue plastic cases, BUT it's gotta still be a relatively normal size and shape so that it doesn't become annoying to place in it's proper place on my shelf. Criterion digi packs are probably my personal favorite, they look and feel really nice but they're still easy to file and store.

I love steelbooks the most. I bought the phantasm set that comes with a sphere and it's also super amazing on my shelf.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I always will drop an extra few bucks if I can get my hands on a steelbook. I'd probably already have The Last Jedi but I'm waiting for the Best Buy steelbook to drop in price, which I know it will because they always order like a billion of them and they just sit there rotting on the shelves for months. Eventually I'll get it for like $15. They had a pretty sweet Atomic Blonde Steelbook as well, and right now there's a John Wick 1+2 combo steelbook. That one I'm passing on though because JW3 is coming out and I'll just buy them all in one set.

Zaavi, (or is it Zavvi?) had a Super Mario Bros steelbook that I pre-ordered last year, because hell yeah I need a steelbook of super Mario bros. It was also a fantastic transfer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The roninflix dot com page for The Church bluray has more details up on it.

Must be getting closer to being released!

RoninFlix posted:

Blu-ray includes a Limited Edition Slipcover and 13x21 Mini Poster with artwork by Wes Benscoter while supplies last.

In the middle of a modern city, an ancient evil is about to awaken! An elaborate cathedral that was once the site of a medieval massacre by crusading knights becomes a deadly trap for a group of visitors and staff when a sealed crypt is accidentally reopened. The laws of reality soon collapse as a nightmare takes hold and claims the lives of those within one by one, threatening to unleash a supernatural pestilence upon the world! Legendary horror maestro Dario Argento (Suspiria, Opera, Deep Red) presents this stylish shocker from director Michele Soavi (The Sect, Dellamorte Dellamore, Stagefright), featuring an avalanche of nightmarish visual effects and a powerful score by Goblin and Keith Emerson.

Starring Tomas Arana, Barbara Cupisti, Asia Argento

Special Features: Feature presentation at max bitrate with English & Italian DTS Stereo Audio, Reversible Cover, 2 Discs

DISC ONE: The Church, Audio Commentary with star Barbara Cupisti moderated by Nathaniel Thompson, The Mystery of the Cathedrals with Michele Soavi, Alchemical Possession with Dario Argento, Theatrical Trailer
DISC TWO: Interviews with Tomas Arana, Barbara Cupisti, Asia Argento, Giovanni Radice, set designer Massimo Geleng, screenwriter Franco Ferrini, and makeup artist Franco Casagni
Scorpion Releasing // 1989 // 102 Minutes // Not Rated // Color // English and Italian with English Subtitles // Region A

Please Note: The Limited Edition Mini Poster will be folded and delivered in the same box with the Blu-ray. Please use caution when opening the package to avoid damaging the item.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FancyMike posted:

This is up for sale now, just ordered mine. And they are offering a $5 discount if you buy The Church and The Unseen together

Thank you for letting me know! I raced to computer and ordered it along with The Unseen haha.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw the Pop figures and went "Ew.".

So this is listed as a "DELUXE LIMITED EDITION!!!!!" does that mean the blu-ray itself is limited or just the set with the stupid figurines?

I'm hoping just the pops, but I'm guessing everything but the discs. If it's just a limited run in genera that's gunna blow rear end

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I really don't give a poo poo about the trinkets they put in there with the discs and would be delighted to buy that for less money without that crap anyway. It might just be one of those things like the Adam West show where the first release was a "LIMITED EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!" which cost more money because there was a toy car and some bullshit.

I just want the book n discs dump the rest

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's not a vendetta or anything, I just want to know if I can buy this later or if I should pre-order it before they sell out forever and you have assholes selling it on ebay for several hundred dollars. Being able to pay less money for it because it doesn't have the ugly figurines is a bonus.

P much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Speaking of which, any recommendations on a good Region Free Blu-Ray player?

http://www.codefreedvd.com/sony-bdp-s1200-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

Is what I reccd to a few people in the horror thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

You should take pictures and post it on the tech relics page

May I have a link to this thread?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thank you kind goon! :tipshat:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I bought Phantom of the Paradise recently. I’m going to try and hold off to the October horror thread before watching it.

You're in for quite the treat

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Holy poo poo Hi, Mom! is on there!!

E: lol I missed egberts post right above the pic

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Waterworld includes 4k restorations of all three cuts of the film, including the TV cut that's 40 minutes longer than the theatrical. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll purchase Waterworld.

Yessssssssss

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Have you not seen the pictures of that guy's house where every wall is covered in display cases filled with thousands of those figurines and written contracts between him and his wife based on when and how much money a month he can spend on them?

This might be favorite reddit post. The contract had so many exclusions it was basically pointless. Well it was pointless to begin with anyway, but still.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Clear cases > steel books > blue cases imo.

But also, it doesnt matter much.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have a DVD copy and two blu ray copies of the thing. I might by a third version of the thing in the near future. My dad has my VHS copy of the thing in his attic. It's probably ruined, but it's there!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have 3 fuckin' copies of The Thing Blu-Ray.

Arrow video and shout factory putting out different versions of the thing makes my wallet angry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Someone on blu-ray.com posted screenshots of the Blue Underground 4K restoration of Fulci's Zombie, and it looks fantastic. I just put in my preorder. Looks like an awesome release, and there are three covers to choose from: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306721

The screenshots are on page 16 of that thread.

An instant preorder for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:rip: me.

I've never ordered from Arrow before, any suggestions?

Pace yourself

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish that everyone had the yearly, half-yearly, or even the monthly pre-order options like Vinegar Syndrome does. It really is nice to get a box full of movies every month, and even the few that I"m not thrilled about, or didn't like a whole lot, have kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

I wish I could afford to do those pre order bundles. I did one once and it was awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Man I've been staying away from this thread and blu ray buying... but I might have to buy some of those VS releases. Fake VHS tape case sounds sweet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I picked up

Evil Town
Dear Dead Delilah
Mausoleum
Mountaintop Massacre
Night beast
Christmas Evil

Definitely want Putney Swope and Taking Tiger Mountain

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Website says shipping started yesterday, the annual subscribers first then everyone else, goal is all shipped by June 7

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman 4k is one of the best looking transfers I've ever seen.

But the covers are so ugly :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

On the other hand, the spines have a matching look to the Nolan Batman trilogy, so they look really nice on my shelf all lined up next to each other.

That makes me dislike them even more!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Really? I love that, having all Batman movies lined up like that on my shelf and they look like they're all from the same set. Very satisfying to my movie OCD.

I'm just not that big of a fan of the nolan movies.

Though, to be honest, knowing these new transfers are really well done makes me want to pick up the first two.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Got my UK Blade Runner UHD set today. Really gorgeous packaging - discs are in a digipak inside a matte thick slipcase. Sort of like 2001's UHD except it has a matte finish. Thick perfect bound booklet with production art and photos. Even the BBFC stickers peel off. Weird thing is that the UHD and Blu-rays for the Final Cut are UK branded, while the supplements and other cuts seem to be from an Italian set (with multi-lingual text on the discs). This was apparently an exclusive in the UK, so perhaps that was the only way to get the discs.

Mind linking which one you ordered? There is so many different blade runner releases.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

RoninFlix flash sale! Go buy Hardware.

Buy hardware and the church

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't know if anyone else here ordered it, but my copy of Viy from Severin came in today!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve started burning my dvds to a hard drive and streaming to my TV through Plex. This is mainly for TV shows and the few movies I have left on DVD only. Once I’m done I’m going to keep some rare DVDs and TV shows and get rid of the rest.

Is anyone else here doing this, or anything similar? Anything I should know/be aware of before getting in too deep? Is Plex the best app for this?

As far as I know Plex is the best option for this since they also provide mobile access and server sharing.

I bought a lifetime license way back when it first launched and have been immensely happy with all the improvements they've made since.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Those robocop discs are dope, but I can't imagine the scan is different or better than the last release

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Couldn't help myself. Preordered Robocop

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Synapse are releasing a 4K edition of Suspiria in November. New 4K restoration overseen by the original DP and the original 4.0 surround sound with optional Dolby Atmos. I’m glad I held off.

Ahhhhhhhh

Curious how this transfers coloring compares to the other ones

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Vinegar Syndrome just sent out a newsletter that says the pre-order for Tammy and the T-Rex is going up "some time on September 19th thru some time on September 20th. More specific info shall be forthcoming."

Weird was hoping it was going up with it's big sale on friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The VS boxset is Amityville.

Kinda underwhelming tbh