Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, just a heads-up in case this hasn't been posted, but Batman: The Complete Animated Series is getting a region B release, in a 12-disc set that includes the films Mask of the Phantasm and Mr Freeze: Sub-zero. You can pre-order it on UK Amazon.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-The-Complete-Animated-Series-Blu-ray/211654/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Got myself a copy of Vigil, The Day of the Jackal, The 'Burbs, The People Under the Stairs and Dark Water.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa now, ANOES 4-6 are solid (if dumb) horror sequels. I’d even say they’re more entertaining than the consistently-praised but secretly boring New Nightmare.

Yeah, I re-watched New Nightmare a while ago and loving hell, what a slog to get through. It definitely gets praised for what it’s trying to achieve, rather than how successful it is in doing so.

Also, was 4 the one with the guy screeching and flailing about while fighting an “invisible” Freddy? Good lord, that poo poo was stupid.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Craven was a creative talent, obviously, but then he also had a tendency to go for the same tricks multiple times and for me that gets tiresome when I watch his films. Probably the worst example that I noticed recently was Cursed, which he made about 10 years after Scream but he had to do that thing again where he puts a known actress on the poster and then kills her off in the first scene. But it's just so painfully obvious that's what he's doing, and sorry but Shannon Elizabeth isn't exactly a timeless name compared to Drew Barrymore. So the movie is already dated as gently caress because you watch it and you're like "oh yea haha I guess I was supposed to be surprised that they'd kill of major Hollywood star Shannon Elizabeth so soon".

I hadn't even heard of that film, and looking at the cast, it's funny how a whole bunch of the other cast members are now much bigger deals than Shannon Elizabeth (what is she even doing these days?), like Jesse Eisenberg.

Reading up on the production issues, it's really unfortunate that the Weinsteins were involved, because a fair chunk of those problems can be pinned directly on those two loving pieces of poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Arrow is now licensing from Warner Bros and they’re starting with William Friedkin’s Cruising.

I wonder if it'll be the original cut.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I bought the Sesame Street Season 1/2 version of Oscar the Grouch for a friend of mine who is also called Oscar for his birthday. :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ohvee posted:

Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

If you've got a Region B capable player, you can still pre-order them off of UK Amazon. The release date was pushed back to the 5th of November.

I, Butthole posted:

Oh God thread pull up I'm sorry. I won't mention Funko Pops again I swear.

It was an interesting display of elitism, I have to say.

I, Butthole posted:

How do you guys organise discs in your binders?

I don't. I have shelves for them. They're not exactly expensive ones, but I organise them by A. genre and B. alphabetical order.
Films in a specific franchise, or series, as well as TV shows get their own slots, also based on genre and alphabetical order - unless it's something like the MCU films, in which case, I place them in order of release.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 24, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The UK Batman set should be region free. WB almost never region locks their own releases.

It's listed as Region B on the UK amazon site and blu-ray.com, but US Amazon has it listed as region-free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G4CKGXK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Assuming you're correct, I guess it's then an issue of whether your device can handle PAL formatting, but would that even be an issue in this day and age?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, uh, just a reminder for any Region B boys, there's still time to pre-order Arrow's Candyman Limited Edition set today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FL214Z6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are we still posting our collections? Because here's mine:

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=480875&action=hybrid

For some reason, the Australian/NZ release of The Evil Dead Anthology set doesn't list the other films.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've pre-ordered my copy from Australia. I live in a town, so we miss out on movies like Mandy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So I finally got my hands on my copy of the Batman: TAS set. So here are some photos.

Sexy, sexy exterior shots

Front

Spine

Back

You can see glossy watermarks of Batman, Joker, Penguin, Mr Freeze, Robin and Catman

That's Harley Quinn, Kung-fu Alfred, Two-Face, Jim Gordon and Scarecrow on the back

The discs are in a booklet. Here's the Tumbler helping out.

The inside has artwork like this.

It comes with Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For anyone that's still wavering about getting the 4K They Live set:

Outer box

Booklet

Poster

Art cards

Discs come in this

4K disc

Blu-Ray disc

Special Features

OST

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I just bought the Shout Factory steelbook. :(

The Fog and Escape From New York are getting the same treatment.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I have those too, and Escape replaced an older Blu-Ray :suicide101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIibPq6fDjM

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Any fans of The Shield?

https://www.amazon.com/The-Shield-T...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Just got the new release for ‘The Thing from Another World, apparently it’s got a new scan that was commissioned for this release.

It has exactly 0 special features though, which is unfortunate.

It would've been nice if they got John Carpenter in to record a commentary at least.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

$20 for The Birth of a Nation is a good deal considering they improved on the BFI edition. Subject matter aside, the 2K restoration is incredible. It's all from 4K scans of an original 1921 nitrate print with tints plus a surviving camera negative. With the original Joseph Carl Breil score. It's actually quite startling to see it in such clear quality because it makes it that much more immediate. It also has a ton of extras, including an extra two hours of Civil War films from the 1910s and documentaries on the film.

Yeah, but am I a bad person for looking at all that, and thinking, "but gently caress that movie. Just gently caress it."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

It holds the same place as Triumph of the Will. It's a technically genius film that holds an important place in film history but no one ever needs to actually watch because you can see examples of all those same techniques from later films that aren't abhorrent in their subject matter. Do they belong in a museum and in a film class? Sure. Do they belong on anyone's shelf at home? I mean, you do you, but I'd probably sever immediately from anyone who owned either and not believe any "but history" reason they gave me for why they have it.

Yep, pretty much. If I saw a copy of it sitting on a friend's shelf, the first thing I'd say is "seriously? Why?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

trdn89 posted:

Indicator is awesome. Housekeeping, Little Murders, and The 5000 Fingers of Dr T are all deeply excellent movies that I would never have seen if not for them. Plus they're putting out California Split next year!

Don't forget this bad boy: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lady-from-Shanghai-Blu-ray/162631/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Citizen Kane is a film that basically everyone that studies film ends up owning a copy of.

For an assessment a few years ago, a class of 16 year-olds I taught had to analyse a scene from a film, so I used Citizen Kane and the breakfast table montage. It was fascinating to watch, because I started with about 25 or 26 kids all bitching and moaning about watching a "movie that's old and gay and not even in colour" to a room full of kids absorbed by the film, and then seeing them all go "oh come ON!" at the end.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I Before E posted:

The perfect compromise here would be to create an anime version of Birth Of A Nation

Does this count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Formars#Anime

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I always assumed it was a reference to Lizzie Borden, who was rumoured to have had an illicit affair with a maid at her household before she chopped her family to bits.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's the Amazon listing if anyone wants to buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Seas...in%3A2650304011

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

In case y'all missed the Criterion thread, Amazon UK has the Zatoichi mega boxset for 21 pounds / 30USD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GNRVVSL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g76cCb3C0K7C9

Thanks for the heads-up. Definitely would've missed it otherwise. I grabbed myself one, and the Universal Classic Monsters set.

On a related note, the Universal Classic Monsters set is going for 13 pounds on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Living vicariously through yall because Amazon UK apparently don't ship to Australia anymore :(

Haha, another thing that New Zealand is better at than Australia!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I recently bought Demolition Man with some Google survey money and despite my being in America got the version where "Taco Bell" is dubbed to "Pizza Hut."

Yeah, but that has its own goofy charm.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:rip: me.

I've never ordered from Arrow before, any suggestions?

Along with the ones already mentioned:

The Third Murder
The Long Good Friday
The Quiet Earth
Vigil
Sleeping Dogs
The Villainess
Dead End Drive-in
Withnail and I
The People Under the Stairs

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mine are:

The Addiction
The Apartment (Limited Edition)
Audition (Steelbook)
Big Trouble in Little China
Black Society Trilogy
Blade of the Immortal (Steelbook)
Branded To Kill
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Limited Edition)
The 'Burbs
Candyman (Limited Edition)
Children of Men
The Conformist
Dark Water
The Day of the Jackal
Dead or Alive Trilogy
Dead-End Drive-In
A Fish Called Wanda
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Hellraiser Trilogy (Special Edition)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 version)
The Killing
The King of New York
The Long Good Friday (Steelbook)
Network
The Night of the Hunter
The People Under the Stairs
The Phantom of the Paradise (Steelbook)
Psycho II
Pulse
The Quiet Earth
Ronin
Runaway Train
Sleeping Dogs
Society
The Sorrow and the Pity
Thief (Limited Edition)
The Thing (Limited Edition)
The Third Murder
To Live and Die in LA
Twelve Monkeys
Videodrome
Vigil
The Villainess
Withnail and I
The Marx Brothers At Paramount set (Limited Edition)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

What is it like being a millionaire?

Oh, I got these over a prolonged period of time. Some, I was lucky to be able to nab.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's the consensus on the director's cut of Blood Simple? The original cut is good, but IMO, the DC is a noticeably better film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Second Sight does some gorgeous packaging.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we posting christmas hauls?

My dear Mama, bless her heart, gave me cash and told me to go hog wild.

Battle Creek Brawl (88 Films)
Cops vs Thugs (Arrow)
Dragon Fist (88 Films)
Heathers (Arrow)
Horror Express (Arrow)
The Manchurian Candidate (Arrow)
The Piano: 25th Anniversary Edition (Studio Canal)
Rififi (Arrow)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (88 Films)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (Arrow)
To Kill with Intrigue (88 Films)

And I've just pre-ordered the Ring box set from Arrow.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 26, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1079829545312649216

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

wa27 posted:

UK Amazon cancelled my Zatoichi order. :(

Same. gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Reason number 500 on why I hate Amazon. If anyone still wants it, this summer may be the last time you can find it for a reasonable price.

Too late. It's already at £140.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

They also announced The Green Inferno collectors edition. Comes with the soundtrack on CD as well.

Why? Does that ugly little movie have a fanbase?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Boxer? Is that the one with Daniel Day-Lewis?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

loving finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

isn’t Terraformars based on a racist manga?

The guy who wrote it IIRC has denied it, but it's certainly not a good look to say the least. It's also horrifically misogynistic too, with women drawn seemingly specifically to appeal to the male gaze dying in horrifying ways almost immediately after they're introduced.

I'm guessing the live action film is getting an Arrow release because it's directed by Takashi Miike, and looking on blu-ray.com, it appears there's no prior release in the UK. I saw it last year on Netflix while I was in Japan, and I can tell you with utmost certainty that it's not a film worth going out of your way to see.