Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
When people say slipcovers do they mean the cardboard things with the same graphics/info as the front and back of the actual case? I always throw those out because the cardboard gets nicked up and it just adds an extra step to taking the disc out of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah alphabetical order is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have a separate section for box sets but that's alphabetical too, by title of the set or name of the actor/director. Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Always put franchises together. I got Army of Darkness in E, all the Apes in P. Now just to make sure, we all agree that you never file anything under “A” or “The”, right? A Quiet Place goes under Q.

Oh yeah obviously "A" and "The" don't count as words

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Does the new Do the Right Thing blu-ray have the yellow tint?

I'm wondering this too, pre-ordered it and I'm really hoping it's the original warm color grading, it's so important to the feel of the film.

Also bought Funny Games, Police Story 1 & 2, and that insane Ingmar Bergman box set that's probably going to take me years to get through!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I'm out of work because of the pandemic and I decided to take advantage of the time to really dig into my movie collection, and I've been watching a lot of bonus/special features. I liked Edgar Wright before and had seen all his movies, but after going through almost all the extra stuff for his first 3 (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) I think I love the guy and definitely respect his enthusiasm and love for his job. There's 4+ commentaries for each one, and hours of other stuff, he clearly cared about and was involved with the home releases and I feel like I've gotten a pretty comprehensive look into his weird brain and his method of filmmaking. There's also just a lot of really funny bits, like Wright included a terrible movie he made as a kid as an extra on Hot Fuzz, and then made Simon Pegg and Nick Frost record a commentary for it which they are clearly pissed off about, or the commentary for Hot Fuzz with Wright and Quentin Tarantino where they just talk about British cop movies the whole time (more interesting than funny I guess).

Are there other directors who put a lot of effort into the DVD/Blu-ray releases? Or does anyone have any particular releases that stands out to them as far as the extras? I know that certain labels are good, but even some of the Criterions I own are kinda bare-bones. I am also considering watching everything in the Lord of the Rings extended edition set like I did as an obsessed teenager, but there's just SO fuckin much of it... might just do that with The Hobbit extended versions but those movies were disappointing.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’d hate to have to re-catalogue my entire collection somewhere else. It looks like blu-ray.com is doing a server upgrade and then coming back online.

I use their app to catalog everything I buy but also add everything to a google sheets spreadsheet (w/title, director, year). I'm a film library prepper I guess, finally paid off!

I actually prefer the spreadsheet to blu-ray.com, I like having the individual films from a box set listed separately, their app doesn't do that as far as I can tell

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Crushed under the weight of 10000 steelbooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I like watching movies with commentary tracks if they have them, but I'm kind of annoyed when some films in a series have commentaries and others don't. Most recently noticed this with the John Wick movies, the first 2 have commentaries but the 3rd one doesn't even though Chad Stahelski directed all 3 and Keanu Reeves starred in all 3. Why wouldn't they just record a commentary? Doesn't seem like that much extra work.