Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought the steelcase Army of Darkness 4K and the From Beyond 4K a few weeks ago and am finally watching them tonight and they look really great. Bought a few of the going out of print blu rays from Vinegar Syndrome too at the same time and got my Criterion order in from their sale (Thief and the rest of the Lynch stuff that I didn’t have), and will probably buy some more stuff during the halfway to Black Friday sale. I thought I was cutting back on getting blu rays :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Grabbed Miami Connection, Six-String Samurai, Beastmaster, Undefeatable, and Ninja in the Claws of the CIA in hopes it’s at least partially as good as New York Ninja.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I didn't realize they had Miami Connection! I had to get that; it's one of my favorites. The "Add to existing order" option is a lifesaver.

I didn’t realize either til today, have wanted to have it for a while along with Undefeatable and Beastmastwr.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lord Seo posted:

Ninja in the Claws of the CIA is a bonkers vanity project beyond anything in New York Ninja. John Liu plays himself in the movie, as well as "James Liu": his wheelchair bound brother. At one point he proves his power of self hypnosis by simultaniously getting a blowjob and having a guy beat him with kung fu without losing concentration. There are wild harpoon kills/timeskips, and it has a very tasteless mondo movie style ending. It's a demented movie, just hope you have a very high tolerance for bad writing/dubbing.

I have a very high tolerance for bad writing and the rest of that sounds bonkers so I’m glad I bought it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

dorium posted:

A friend of mine just gifted me the Godzilla Criterion collection as a belated bday gift so I think I got a bunch of movies to watch now.

It’s a really great collection and I enjoyed the articles it comes with for each of the movies.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

esperantinc posted:

I just wish it was in a normal sized case(s). Or even a shorter book format! It doesn't fit anywhere around my TV, ha.

Agreed! I like the format on paper but not so much actually having to find a place to put it. Right now I have it sideways in my vinyl/blu ray shelf but I think I might be just display it standing up behind to my Godzilla figures I have even tho they’re not in the room with my tv.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been watching the movies I got from the Criterion sale, and watched Scanners for the first time in 10-15 years. What a cool film. They should make more movies where the main character's eyes explode and they catch on fire. I liked the little special effect documentary that's in the release too, such cool ideas and minds at work.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Picked up the Shout Factory Return of the Living Dead UHD yesterday in anticipation of July 4th.

I have a nice little selection of July 4th UHDs now. Return of the Living Dead, Independence Day, 1776, Jaws, and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I just got the 4K for Return of the Living Dead and watched it for the first time in probably 10 years and it still rules. Also rewatched Thief for the first time in a while since I got the Criterion from their sale a bit ago and I don't think that I like it as much as I used to but it's still a pretty great film. Grabbed the 4K of Heat on sale so I'll be rewatching that again too, expecting to still love it.

Hoping I can limit myself with the B&N sale, I have most of what I'd want with Arrow since I got Re-Animator a few weeks ago but I still want more things from Criterion...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Think I'm gonna grab Infernal Affairs, Stalker, Thelma & Louise 4K, After Hours, Seven Samurai, and Throne of Blood. I've never seen Lady Snowblood - guessing that's probably worth grabbing the duology?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I went by my local B&N to see what they had and they had Agnes Varda's set and not much else I wanted. I haven't seen a ton of her films but she rules in interviews I've seen so I decided to pick it up. Maybe done with buying movies for a few months if I can escape more sales.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I watched Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire that I got from the Criterion site sale a few months ago over the long weekend and they're all really great versions and packages. Inland in 4k looks better than I expected in a lot of scenes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Beastmaster has one scene where the colors look off but they have a statement at the beginning about it. I think it looks pretty great and there’s a good amount of ferret shenanigans that makes the movie pretty charming overall. Plus Rip Torn as an evil wizard.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trying to limit even more purchases since I bought stuff from the B&N sale and the Arrow sale already, but grabbed the first three John Wicks & EEAAO in 4K with on page coupons and the Cornetto Trilogy pack + The Big Lebowski today since I got a raise. I think with all of that it might be the exact amount of room I have left on my shelf without changing how they're on the shelf so that might actually stop me from getting things on sale for now. Maybe I don't need things like both cuts of superman 2 on my shelf at once or stargate universe on my shelf at all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

esperantinc posted:

Custom cover chat got me to finally bite the bullet and spend the 30$ on Etsy for a set of Criterion Godzilla cases. Now I can actually remember I own that set instead of it sitting forgotten on a bookshelf two rooms away from the tv.

I just bought some a few weeks ago and it was worth it just to be able to put the movies on the same shelf as my other newer Godzilla movies and move the criterion “book” near my Kaiju figures as a display piece. Maybe one day Return/Biollante/vs ghidorah/vs mothra will be in print for blu rays again so I can have a complete movie set.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I’m not a fan of that multi disc design even when it’s blu rays. My TOS and TNG Star streak blu ray sets have like 8 discs per side and then two “pages” inside with more discs on each side of those and it feels like they’re just gonna fall off and rattle around in the case. I guess I’m less worried than dvds like that since blu rays seem pretty durable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Glad I've waited on Fifth Element, want to grab that for sure.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is heart of a dragon the one where sammo is developmentally disabled?

If so how offensive is the portrayal

I rewatched it a few weeks ago and honestly it's way better than I expected/remembered. The character themselves is rarely if ever shown in a offensive way except for one point where some characters are being monsters to him and one where Jackie Chan's character slaps the hell out of Sammo, both of which are not shown as good things. So, not great in a few moments but I think it's an alright portrayal that mostly focuses on how Sammo's character isn't a burden, he's family, and I think I'd lean towards it being a decent to good portrayal of a developmentally disabled character overall. I think the worst thing he's called is fatso.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love every single episode of Columbo including the ones where it seems like he's on painkillers or something and not really paying attention and half asleep.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Whoever has the rights to physical Deep Space 9, now is the time for you to release a blu ray set of that show so I can watch TOS, TNG, DS9, Stargate, and Farscape forever instead of only most of those.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would love a 4K Walk Hard and agreed that Inland Empire's upscale kinda swung me over to being OK with upscales if they're done well. Incredible how IE looks on the Criterion release IMO.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have the Criterion so I probably should skip that 4K FWWM but I really love Twin Peaks so I might still buy it...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I might get that slip if I order other things, WNUF is pretty great. Is there a recommendation for shelves for blu rays/box sets? I’m using a shelf from target but just about out of space and the size of the cubes for each shelf on it are pretty perfect for vinyl so I was wanting to move my collection to something else.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Has anyone gotten a shipping notification from VinSyn and their warehouse sale?

Just got a notification that the box, Dolemite, and Disco Godfather weren't actually in stock so I guess I get two of Rudy Ray Moore's movies and nothing else, not very happy with that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pitch Black kicks rear end

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Apparently, I bought the game at some point on GOG and according to the internet it's been pulled for sale everywhere at this point (except amazon, but you'd need to use a warez crack to defeat the long dead DRM) Good lord is the pcgamewiki long for this one...but I think I'm going to go for it, thanks thread?

The game is pretty great and I didn't run into any major issues when I replayed last year besides some issues with enemies seeing me in stealth for no reason.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Chronicles of Riddick movie after Pitch Black and never saw the 2013 movie. As much as I enjoy most of the F&F movies I really wish Vin would be in other more fantastical movies like Riddick more often.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Fugitive is great, think I'll be picking up that 4k for sure. Can't wait for the Prey 4k too, really enjoyed that film.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Argento is great, and I'm also glad they didn't just remake the original Suspiria, I love both Suspiria movies for pretty different reasons.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want all of these except avatar in 4k but the box art is pretty bad. I'll probably stick the Aliens 4k in my quadrilogy set anyway.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory just announced that Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie are going out of print by the end of December.

While I wouldn't panic just yet, it's worth noting that Kino Lorber, Indicator, Arrow, and Eureka have all lost the rights to Fox titles and are either OOP or will go OOP as soon as they're sold out. Criterion has been the only boutique that's still around and hasn't had to take any out of print just yet (though, it's possible they simply have a much longer licensing period than others).

Here's what I could find, in case anyone wanted to play it safe before they become scarce:

Ravenous
Lake Placid
Phantom of the Paradise
Tales from the Crypt (1972) / Vault of Horror (1973) [Metromedia library]
Fatso
The Omen Collection
The Fly Collection
Big Trouble in Little China

I guess I should get big trouble, lake placid, and the fly collection; thanks for the list.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Darkman rules.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like the 70's episodes the most and am excited to get my set today but I would really like a set with the last three seasons and specials too. I don't like them near as much but especially the last episode are still worth a watch IMO.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like True Lies so that's very disappointing. I hope Aliens is better, may just stick with my blu ray from the quadrilogy set.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I throw away slipcovers if they’re the same art as the case but VS slipcovers are great and I like some of the Arrow (I think) martial arts movies where you can have the original poster art with the slipcover and newer art on the case.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Big Bizness posted:

The new 4K Arrow set of Conan the Barbarian / Destroyer is fully sick and highly recommended. The new transfers are gorgeous. The set is absolutely crammed with special features, and a big fat physical booklet too. Barbarian has all three cuts of the film, and 2 audio options - original theatrical mono and a new Atmos surround mix, which is also really good. The Atmos mix, although based on the old 5.1 NBC / Universal mix, does not share it's missing instrument problems and is a great way to experience the film. The choirs are still too quiet compared to the OG mono mix, but overall the surround sound dynamics are worth at least one viewing with that option. If you watch the extended cut, you also have the option of an isolated score track, for just the brilliant music, as well as the Milus / Arnold commentary track that was recorded for the DVD back in like 2005. This is probably going to be the definitive physical release of the film.

That's great to hear, excited to get the Conan pack and Darkman on the 20th.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea, that one is long overdue. Give us Dark City while you're at it.

Please.

Will definitely be picking up The Crow. I somehow haven't ever seen Mean Girls despite being the right age to watch it when it came out but I might pick it up cause I like what I've heard about it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, it was cute. I’m glad I could support Al on some way. But I will drop $60 on some dumb loving UHF UHD in a heartbeat.

I'd pay a lot for a nice UHF UHD with maybe a few special features. If I hadn't just paid more than I really wanted to on the Paprika 4k along with having other releases coming out in the next few months I'd probably grab that Weird steelbook.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm still mad I missed the Lawrence 4k because I expected a regular 4k to release at some point.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

NYN rules, the second movie is not as good but still maybe worth a watch.

Got my Conan collection, Paprika, and Darkman 4k releases today, and the first Conan looks great. Will definitely have to rewatch with the commentary at some point too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This just reminds me I really want a 4K release of all of Twin Peaks

I do too, the blu rays look great but 4K would be incredible. I like that they let you have the episode previews and credits for each episode including the "season 2 finale airs on this date!" preview for the second to last episode of the original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't like what I saw of the True Lies 4k, how does the Aliens one look? Trying to decide whether to replace my quadrilogy blu ray or not. My Event Horizon 4k steelbook came in today so I'll be rewatching that this weekend, love the look of the case too.