Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Is throwing away slipcovers a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.
This isn't BluRay.com. I always toss the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VHSs I still have:
Star Wars OT Non-Special Editions
A Muppet Christmas Carol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? I used to own a surround sound system with a DVD player you could insert 5 discs into. It was great for TV shows and stuff like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Did you buy it before home file servers were easy to come by?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom bought our first DVD player when she went to a 3 month long tech school out of state in 2002. The first DVD was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Pretty well put together edition if I remember right.

A few years later, 04-05, my sophmore biology teacher was still presenting class material from Laserdisc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

They were indeed sourced from the laserdiscs. They're non-anamorphic and they look like swamp rear end.
On the other hand the colors on the 2004 DVDs is so hosed up they look better in comparison. I'm going to have to give the Despecialized Editions a watch some time soon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygggcqKmUts

Were the 04 DVDs the release where they got so overzealous with the digital cleanup that they accidentally erased the stars out of the space scenes and had to add them back in digitally?
I don't remember that. Mostly it was that Luke's lightsaber was never the right color, and some other stuff like that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's also apparently a 4K77 project, and 4K83.

So far as I'm concerned all the various rights holders have gotten thousands of dollars out of me over the last 25 years or so, so if they're not going to release them then....

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have the unaltered "faces" tapes with the Leonard Maltin/Lucas interviews. Got it for Christmas probably in 1995. They're a but chewed up after many many watchings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, they're all spread out because of rights issues, as a fan it's really frustrating.
I wish Shout Factory would go and wrangle some sets together. The Vincent Price ones they did were pretty excellent.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

codyclarke posted:

Cant wait! I've had a ton of fun with the Universal monster blu-ray sets so far.
Is there anything else they released on DVD that isn't scheduled for BluRay yet?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is it wrong that I want to see how long they can continue dragging out The Simpsons?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The Simpsons will never end. They'll bring in sound-alikes and it'll be like the post-Henson Muppets. It won't be quite right but it'll be good enough for them to keep doing it.
Post-Henson Muppets has produced some good stuff. I don't think The Simpsons has had what you could consider a very good episode in more than a decade.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love that Step Brothers is one of those films that so many people agree is just absolutely great. More mainstream comedies like that, please.
I thought I would hate it based on the previews, and Will Ferrell's somewhat lovely (Especially at the time) track record. But ended up loving it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

business hammocks posted:

I guess I never associated the Hell's Angels with screen-print sweatshirts. I really miss living in a time when you could see nazi iconography and reasonably assume it wasn't endorsing nazism.
They're still lovely people though. People are really stupid and think biker gangs aren't bad scary gangs like the Crips or the Bloods because they're white.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I picked up Stalker during last year’s sale and Scanners this year as blind buys. Still haven’t watched Stalker. It’s tough for me to commit to a 3hr movie in my place sometimes because I get antsy for chores, etc.

There’s an Alamo Drafthouse opening in my city and they’re doing a showing of the 4K Lawrence of Arabia print. I can’t do it but gently caress I want to so bad.
Brand new Alamo Drafthouse in the Twin Cities showing Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner: Final Cut and here I am out of the country.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't know that I'd like Christmas Evil. What I really want is a Krampus sequel that is what Gremlins 2 is to Gremlins.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Same thing happened to all the PC games. Or go into a Barnes and Noble and see how many bookshelves they've gotten rid of.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope not. I still miss Borders, and I don’t have a Books-a-Million anywhere near me. Not to mention that it’ll make Amazon basically the only place to offer books that aren’t airport trash or movie tie-ins.
I was just in the Middle East where Borders still exists and the one I went in was pretty much a clone of what Barnes and Noble looks like in the US.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone have one of those spinning media towers? The shelf I keep my movies in is about full and I don't feel like using more wall space in my apartment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

sounds like it’s time for a new apartment
If I was paying much more I'd just buy a house.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I missed 3D TVs, now you can't usually get that as a feature anymore. Shame because I've got some Blu-Rays that have 3D that I'd like to see. House of Wax, Hugo, The Cave of Forgotten Dreams whose main gimmick is 3D...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

Also what is the single best film currently available in 4K and HDR that would demonstrate the capabilities of a bomb new TV?
Dunkirk is the best looking movie I currently have on UHD.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

I’ve got the LG UP970, which I bought in a combo with 3 UHD discs for ~$200. It’s a region-locked player (so you’ll need to keep a Region B machine around), but it’s one of the few reasonably-priced machines that did Dolby Vision. No problems so far - everything’s very quick to load, and the films themselves look great.
That's what we put in at my mom's house and we've been really happy with it. Unless something better comes along I'll probably get the same when I get my own 4K tv for Black Friday.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The "worst" Blu-Ray I have is American Graffiti. It's not terrible but the DNR is pretty obvious. Other than that all my stuff is pretty good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We live in a bizarre world where you can find a bunch of relatively obscure stuff with great transfers and extras, but then more well known stuff gets poo poo out onto Blu-ray without a second thought.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the things I miss from the early 2000s, and trust me when I say that's a short list, is even the most forgettable movies still got assloads of special features on the DVD. Unless it was some Walmart bargain bin shot you'd get something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly my interest in the extras came from wanting to know how they pulled off various effects. Nowadays with current movies that's very rarely interesting. Every once in a while you get a movie like The Dark Knight or Blade Runner 2049 that does rad stuff with miniatures, but that's about it.
Bankrupting and putting out of business an effects company :haw: That's how it was done.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is anyone using some software to catalog their stuff? I really should have an insurance list of my movies, books, and games. I had one built in Collectorz years ago but that was only for books, and they want you to have to buy separate packages for other media. All the free options for this sort of thing seem to be discontinued right now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know a guy who likes to give people grief about anything he perceives to be clutter. So book and movie collections would qualify for him. He's got two kids and won't quit fantasizing about tiny houses, which I have to imagine would be a really lovely thing to inflict on a kid.

Liar Lyre posted:

StudioCanal are doing 4K releases for Escape From New York, They Live, The Fog & Prince of Darkness. The Blus will probably be Region B locked, but the 4K restorations should be amazing. Plus the packaging looks BEAUTIFUL.

Goddamnit. I just bought The Fog and They Live Shout! Steelbooks this year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've purchased a few things through Amazon that I'm fairly certain will never get Blu-ray releases, and feel pretty safe.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I just don't get it, and I don't agree with a filmmaker going out of their way to withhold their own previously released work from the public but whatever, it's his right.
Sucks though because filmmaking is a collaborative effort. So other people involved who might feel differently have to deal with their work being out of print, and getting hosed out of the residuals.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I rip my slipcovers off and throw them right in the trash. Same with the flaps for hardcover books. I'm a monster, I know.
Who cares about slipcovers if they're exactly the same as the regular covers? But tossing hardcover dust jackets? You deserve to go to hell for that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Are arrow releases region free? I want that Elvira.
Some of them are I think. Some have a Region A release as well. They had that sale a while back and I didn't buy anything because nothing I wanted was region free.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

T2 looks good but not as good as they hyped it up to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pacific Rim is a 2k upscale too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I just spent $100. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From the Scream Factory sale I grabbed:
Assault on Precinct 13 steelbook
Escape From New York steelbook (Upgrading from StudioCanal Blu)
Prince of Darkness steelbook
The Howling steelbook
Night of the Comet
The Serpent and the Rainbow

$103 in all.

I'll get The Thing steelbook when it comes out, and probably Halloween 2 & 3 at some point. Now if only Shout could get the rights to Big Trouble in Little China I'd be mostly set with my Carpenter collection.

Tempted to get some Vestron stuff from the other sale. I definitely want Class of 1999, and probably Dagon to go with it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

And now Arrow has a sale going:
https://arrowfilms.com/shop/arrow-video-halloween-sale/

FYI, they list the region code on the details pages for each title. A lot are A/B or A/B/C.
Everything I click on says Region B. Are you saying that they'll actually work in a US Blu player? Or is it just anything I want?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Holy gently caress, Arrow is doing an extended edition release of Waterworld this December, I cannot loving believe it. An extended cut of Waterworld has been at the top of my “video release wish list” for ages, along with an extended edition of Event Horizon.
The latter is supposedly never happening because the footage is just plain gone. It could always turn up but who knows? I want somebody to release the original cut of The Thirteenth Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

DeepDiscount has a BOGO sale on Olive Films releases:
https://www.deepdiscount.com/deep-olive-films-bogo-sale/b233819?az=20-13829

All the Olive Signature releases have been excellent - especially The Quiet Man, Macbeth, Johnny Guitar, and High Noon. I’d also recommend their edition of The Stranger, which is the best master out there.

Also, Olive’s upcoming Frank Capra WWII set will include Prelude to War and The Battle of Russia from the Why We Fight series plus The Negro Soldier, Tunisian Victory, and Your Job in Germany.

Yes, per Robert Furmanek on HTF.
Has anyone gotten their stuff from the last BOGO sale?

Also is there some way of knowing if you get bad Creature discs. It's the only set I don't have yet.