Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It still blows my loving mind that Blu-Ray has been a format for literally 12 years now and there are people who don't know what it is/still haven't upgraded to a Blu-Ray player/still buy DVDs.

Like, I understand old people not being able to tell the difference between SD and HD (their eyes are loving broken), but still. Blu-Ray players are cheap as gently caress. Blu-Rays themselves are cheap as gently caress. You can probably get a standalone Blu-Ray player and a couple of your favorite movies on Blu-Ray for $50 or maybe a little more than that. You don't need an expensive game console to play them or anything like that.

If you're still buying physical media in 2018, it makes no sense to buy a movie on DVD over Blu-Ray at this point, but people are still doing it :psyduck:

I was asking about jumping on the UHD bandwagon recently in the last thread, and with the adoption rate of Blu-Ray, it makes sense why UHD would take forever to catch on.

Are there TVs being sold with built-in Blu-Ray players like those older TVs with built-in DVD players?

A lot of people still think blu-rays are expensive. Also, some people are just garbage people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

I find this even more unsettling than the resurgence of cassettes.

(Edit: Audio cassettes, that is, although I wouldn't be surprised if VHS is next.)

There is a small but rabidly devoted niche of VHS collectors who will spend insane amount of money on old video tapes.

feedmyleg posted:

Is throwing away slipcovers a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.

I found out that nerds on the internet actually buy these and in some cases will pay an amount of money that is equal to or greater than the retail value of the movie.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the cardboard as well. They're just one more barrier between you and your movie.

Does anyone know why they even put those things on the case?

All good points. I also just prefer to have an actual thing if I pay money for it. In a lot of cases a digital copy of something can be revoked by the copyright owner at any time without warning, plus if you have all your poo poo on a device and said device is damaged, lost, or destroyed then you're poo poo out of luck.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Slipcovers make a better presentation for your product, they make spines more vibrant and easier to read on a shelf, and they provide limited protection for the case itself. I can’t believe there are people with strong opinions about them either way.

Tossing all of your cases and cramming the discs into plastic sleeves that you then hide in a larger box is absolutely bonkers, though. Why even bother with physical media at that point? Save yourself the time and effort and just buy digital. :psyduck:

A slip case is only slightly larger than the actual plastic case. I really can't see how it makes such a huge difference. That said I like the ones one the Scream Factory releases because the inside cover is reversible and has the original poster art, so you get to use both covers at once.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the funny thing is, $25 is still a decent chunk of change for a used VHS. Disney stuff pretty inarguably holds value better than other common releases, between the Disney Vault, the edits to movies, prices basically never dropping even when stuff's out of the Vault, and content that never got carried over on the LD releases; it's just not to the insane extents that article tried to claim.

e: like, this is a "if you need rent money you can flip your Disney VHS collection from childhood for a few hundo" situation, not a "you can put your kids through college with Disney tapes" situation.

I see tons and tons of Disney tapes collecting dust in a thrift store I go to all the time.Anyone who pays than a dollar for an old Disney video on tape is probably not very smart.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Loading times are mostly the fault of major studios because they put all this unnecessary poo poo on discs. Most of the smaller labels like Criterion, Kino, Shout, Olive, etc. load fast.

I was about to say that I've never run into this problem but then I saw your post and it makes sense now. Most movies I own are from these or similar publishers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

So with In the Mouth of Madness coming to Shout!, there’s been some rumblings that means Shout will start distribution for Warner/New Line. Just browsing their library, there’s a lot of titles that deserve a good release.

Egbert Souse posted:

Memoirs of an Invisible Man

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

First HDDVD was Goodfellas. First BluRay was Bullitt, which is a profoundly boring movie when it's not the car chase.

If it wasn't for that chase scene no one would give a poo poo about Bullitt. I can't even remember anything else that happens.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Circuit City. Their huge buy-in to DivX was a huge catalyst of their end.

Maybe this was just in my area but I'm still pissed that Best Buy is the one that stayed and Circuit City is the one that faded into oblivion because Circuit City was just a better store in every way. For starters the employees actually knew things about the poo poo they were selling and they generally had much better merchandise and better pricing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

They were indeed sourced from the laserdiscs. They're non-anamorphic and they look like swamp rear end.

They're not great or anything and being non-anamorphic is a huge bummer but I don't think they look as awful as everyone says and at the end of the day it's still much better than watching them on tape.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It's all the exact same master anyways, outside of '77 having the original crawl inexplicably edited back in. Only advantage of the laserdisc would be higher quality PCM sound since the DVD was Dolby Digital 2.0 surround encoded at 192kbps.

It may not be anamorphic but it's still in widescreen and it's not subject to the quirks of a VCR and that fuzzy sound that tapes make.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are there any really notable better than original fan edits? I know about Harry’s and that version of Fire Walk Woh Me with the deleted scenes but any cool notable ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygggcqKmUts

Casimir Radon posted:

On the other hand the colors on the 2004 DVDs is so hosed up they look better in comparison. I'm going to have to give the Despecialized Editions a watch some time soon.

Were the 04 DVDs the release where they got so overzealous with the digital cleanup that they accidentally erased the stars out of the space scenes and had to add them back in digitally?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 14, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It just blows my mind how shoddy the treatment of Star Wars has been in terms of video releases, but I guess that's to be expected when people will buy anything with that logo on it even if they slapped the discs in a pile of dog poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

George Lucas has (or had) a lot of control over the Star Wars home video releases, but here's the thing - he's not a particularly good film maker.

He has a lot of talent and a lot of good ideas. But he has a nasty habit of letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, and so when he oversees the home video releases of his movies, he tends to give into the instincts to tinker with his films because he could have done something differently or he wants to make a minor change to make them fit in better with films made after the fact. He's unwilling to accept them as a product of their time and place, and keeps trying to remold them into this vision that he had.

He wants to exert control over these films, and refuses to accept them for what they are. And here's the thing - the core films are still there. Sure, the new Jabba song loving sucks - but if you want to watch Return of the Jedi and you want the best version legally available - what are you going to do? And while these changes are small, they do annoy fans because it's just something that takes you out of the experience. When Boba Fett has a new voice, or there's CGI creatures roaming about in scenes where there weren't before, or Jabba the Hutt is a small, slender slug, well, what are you going to do? Are you not going to share these less than perfect experiences with your family?

It's funny - Spielberg did the same thing to ET, but nowadays, when he talks about that film, he talks about his tinkering as a misstep on his part. There was one event where he was talking about the upcoming Blu-ray release, and mockingly asked the audience would they prefer the original 1982 version or the version he did in the early 2000s where the guns were replaced with walkie talkies.

I have the 2006 DVDs with the laserdisc transfers and when my sister who had never seen Star Wars wanted to see Star Wars I had her watch those. In fairness she kind of knew it was A Thing because I've been complaining about it for years. So technically, yes I am not going to share those less than perfect experiences with my family. But I understand that I'm not really an example of a typical (or unbiased for that matter) viewer. And for what it's worth, even when Spielberg put out the walkie talkie guns version of ET he still allowed the original version to be available. At this point George Lucas is no longer part of the equation so the fact that there's still not even the thought of the original Star Wars on blu-ray just baffles me. I feel like even for people that aren't nerds putting that out would make a lot of money if they advertised it as "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!" because if Disney knows anything, it's how to market poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to happen, that Disney does it as some part of a huge box. God knows, that's the only way I'd buy the prequel trilogy.

I felt something, as if millions of angry neckbeards cried out in impotent rage...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Liquid Sky is one of my favorite "new to me" films of recent and the Blu-ray is awesome.

Me and my rhythm box, me and my rhythm box, me and my rhythm box......

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm not usually into Keanu Reeves but he's incredibly sexy in Speed. I think it's the muscles.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I think Speed belongs on the same pedestal as Die Hard and it really seems like a forgotten blockbuster.

Jan de Bont had so much potential.

And then he made the Haunting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like people would like The Haunting just fine if it wasn't a remake of The Haunting. There's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum as a dumb-fun haunted house movie, but holy loving lord it's disrespectful to the original.

Here's the thing, I've never seen the original film and I still think the remake is just completely awful when it's not occupied with being incredibly boring.

I, Butthole posted:

all this Jan De Bont talk and not even mentioning Twister, you're a disgrace

Also throwing my hat in for Vinegar Syndrome's Liquid Sky remaster. Even the 2K scan of Ice Cream Man makes a DTV film look halfway decent.

Liquid Sky is loving bonkers and I regret that I'd never seen it until the blu-ray came out but I'm glad that the first time I was able to see it was the result of a great restoration. The last 20 minutes of that movie just by itself is pure gold.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'm surprised they haven't made a new Ring but with smart phones or maybe they have and I just haven't been following. I want to see a hipster The Ring that spreads the curse with records.

People still watching movies on tape wouldn't be considered hipstery?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I get the feeling that's more of a tradition type thing.

Prior to the 70's horror really was a comedic genre, you'd go unsupervised to the theater to watch a bunch of silly poo poo go down involving a goofy rear end monster and possibly a beach party. Then Night of the Living Dead happened, and revolutionized horror into a genre that could truly be horrifying. The 70's gave us some really great movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Town that Dreaded Sundown that defined what the genre would be for the next few decades.

By the 80's, Horror was that genre that was fairly easy to do for budding film makers, and shunned by normies for the most part, so there's a ton of it that was obscure. A lot of it got passed around during the 90's as 2nd or 3rd generation copies, and it was a big deal when one of us got our hands on a copy of Dead Alive. Other movies were spoken of in whispers and never really known if it existed or not.

Sure you could go to the local video store and find most of the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street moves. You had to know someone with a car, and someone who knew where the cool video store was if you wanted to rent Killer Klowns from Outer Space, or Trick Or Treat. Part of horror movies in the 90's really was the thrill of the hunt.

When the 2000's rolled around, the internet made the world of horror smaller, and horror became much more mainstream, which muddied the waters. With DVD, and how obscure a lot of titles were, there were fears that there were some movies that would never be transferred to DVD (and a lot weren't). Some titles may truly functionally be lost outside of the VHS format today.

Typing this post, I get the feeling that this is why a lot of these obscure horror titles are getting releases on Blu. The horror kids that were in high school in the late 80's and 90's are now old enough to start a small company that restores and releases these old titles.

I can understand the nostalgia angle but to be perfectly honest a lot of those titles that never made it over from VHS are unwatchable garbage. I'm friends with a guy who is a hardcore collector of VHS tapes and I watch a lot of that poo poo with him and most of it is just worthless. That's why the boxes were so fun to look at. It was all marketing. Usually they were the best thing about the movie. I wasn't 12 years old in the 80s, so I guess that whole wave passed me by. That's not to say I'm against the preservation of weird trashy horror movies, but at the same time I'm not usually concerned about what things are being lost.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

The Blockbuster in the next town over from me was surprisingly hip. They had a stock of VHS tapes well into the DVD era that was all manner of foreign films, horror films that were tough to come by, and just generally things that were hard to find or didn't make it to DVD yet. Among other things I remember renting Brazil, Delicatessen, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Akira, and the Blade Runner theatrical cut. Most of these things weren't on DVD or wouldn't be for years so the place was a god send. At that time this was pretty much the only way to see these things.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

My main goal in life is to own a little video store. Gonna be the weird old guy who tells teenagers to watch Eating Raoul

And then their parents will call the cops.

Also, I wonder how much of that movie will make sense to teenagers in 20-30 years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HEY YOU GUYS!

I noticed on Amazon that there are a few different Infernal Affairs blu-rays. Anyone know if they're all the same transfer? Blu-ray.com only has a review about one of them. I was basically just wondering if it's all the same disc with a different cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

I only see US/UK/HK so probably not identical discs. The Honk Kong release (MegaStar) is supposed to be better, but probably not worth paying twice as much to import it if you just want the first film. Looks like there's no US release for the second or third though so if you're interested in them imports is the only option. Thr second isn't quite as good as the first but it's still very good and the third is fine. The UK trilogy set is priced well but region B, the HK about $60 to import (I usually use dddhouse).

I've never seen the sequels and honestly, haven't ever wanted to. I can't imagine where else there is to go after the ending of that movie. Anyway, thanks for responding.

caligulamprey posted:

Shout! Factory are saints. :getin:

Really? Now they're just taunting me.

I BOYCOTT SHOUT FACTORY UNTIL THEY RELEASE A TAMMY AND THE T-REX BLU-RAY!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Also, who came up with this cover?

Someone who seriously hates children.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I know I’m just angry because I bought the old transfer bd

I did too but it was years ago and it was like eight bucks. Just buy the new one and give the old one to somebody who doesn't care.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's Vinegar Syndrome, there really is no telling what it is.

I know it will never happen but I keep hoping they'll be like "gently caress it, here's Tammy and the T-Rex.".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

They've already released Adam Rifkin's Psycho Cop Returns, I'm gonna need a Dark Backward BR outta Vinegar Syndrome sooner rather than later.

It seems like you and me have similar tastes. There exists an HD transfer of it too. I saw it a few years back on Comcast's VOD service.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Upcoming Vinegar Syndrome titles include The Visitants, Blood Theatre and Grace Robbers.

Are any of these the mystery titles someone mentioned earlier?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Looks like a few more OOP Twilight Time releases maybe coming out from different publishers. Sleepless in Seattle is getting a 25th anniversary release through Sony. And there are rumors going around that Shout may be doing Fright Night, The Blob (80s version) and Night of the Living Dead (90s version).

I already have Fright Night but I'd be all about getting the Blob. I hope it's true, the Twilight Time disc is disgustingly expensive now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I need Fright Night please.

I think there's an all regions disc that sells for normal prices if you don't want to shell out for the Twilight Time release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Speaking of Twilight Time, do they have any must own titles? I was thinking of picking up Runaway Train but that’s the only in stock release that’s jumping out to me.

Emperor of the North.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Nothing like stuff being out of print

Much like several other releases that sell for insanely high prices there are various international all regions releases of Take Shelter that cost normal prices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've never heard of any of those but I'm quite certain that Dead Dudes in the House isn't anywhere near as great as the title.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/jackie-chans-police-story-and-police-story-2

New 4k restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2 out in August from Eureka.

Is this a limited edition?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

4k set of all the Predator films is coming in August. Hopefully this will be the definitive version of Predator. Not too grainy, not too waxy, just right.

Is this a 4K remaster thing or a UHD disc? Also is there a way to buy just Predator and Predator 2 or do I have to own the three lovely ones?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Full UHD discs. I doubt they will redo the standard blu-ray, but I’m guessing they will use the same master that’s currently available on iTunes. And it looks like you can buy them individually. Details are a little scarce right now.

Boooo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

I guess he realized the joke was getting old.

You shut your mouth!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's the middle of 2018 and there has never been a bluray of Hud. So very disappointing.

This but my complaint is Cleopatra Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Probably will come from Warner Archive soon. They just released Superfly, even if that was more to do with the remake.

Aside from the general awesomeness of the movie, Shelly Winters hamming it up as a kinda sorta Nazi leader of a drug cartel is not to be missed.