Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need to re-watch Xtro this weekend. What a great way to spend the three day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

drat. Mill Creek continues to do God’s work. 30 Rock coming to Blu-Ray. Hopefully it’ll be a good transfer. I’m still really impressed by this Shield set.

WHAT?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

burn all sleeves, spindles forever

im actually considering going this direction with my sleeves
https://spacesavingsleeves.com/

Ive already gotten rid of a couple hundred jewel cases from my cd collection and minimized my entire collection to a very small shelf. highly considering a DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD conversion in the future.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

those arent too bad at all. I need to do a proper count of my collection and see how much all this is gunna cost me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Is there an obvious technical reason why The Terminator hasn't had a UHD release yet? Or is it just something to do with the rights?

Ideally, they’re working on the transfer super hard so it doesn’t turn out like T2

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I assumed there was some specific issue preventing them from doing it because Dark Fate comes out this month and typically that's a time when you'd see a UHD release for a film from earlier in a series.

yea i dunno what the exact legalities are from keeping that movie from joining the UHD family. It's a FOX franchise so maybe there's a backlog of films that are still receiving the 4k treatment and the disney stuff aint helping and by disney stuff I mean, who the gently caress knows what their process is for restoring and treating films and where exactly their minds are for physical releases beyond Marvel and disney animated films.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

what a shame. i want none of those.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm just patiently waiting for Criterion to jump on the UHD train. CHOO CHOO

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

who still has their original goodfellas flipper, because I sure do.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

Speaking of Lawrence, where the hell is the UHD

TAKE MY MONEY :homebrew:

same place where The Terminator UHD is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Have I said that I think UHD is probably the first home format to have done justice for 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

I'll just put that one to have on in the background now. It looks STUNNING. Like it was shot yesterday.

I've yet to pickup The Shining, just waiting for a good sale or used price before I do.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

But then how will he make half a dozen Avatar sequels that nobody wants?

Mos people think it's a minor Carpenter but I like it a lot because it's super wacky and really fun. I also found it to be a better Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie than the actual Hitckhiker's Guide movie.

edit: I also just remembered that it's very similar in premise to Alien and I wonder if Dan O'Bannon purposely used Dark Star as the skeleton of Alien.

Makes me wonder what Carpenter Alien movie would be like.... :wiggle:

Iron Crowned posted:

As a side note, does anyone else here ever encounter people who seem shocked that you'd watch a movie more than once?

Whenever we have guests at the apartment and they go down the hallway towards the master bedroom and on the corner before the door there's a shelf full of like 500 UHD/Blu-Rays/DVD's/VHS... its all mine and they ask if i really need all that.

yes i do you schmuck, how dare you :colbert:

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I also have a roommate to factor into the mix, so my time to watch "my movies" gets relegated to weekend mornings/afternoons or the occasional evening when she's not around. It's not that I can't watch movies when she's around, it's just trickier since I know she's not going to be interested in watching 2001 or Critters 2.
my partner and none of our roommates enjoy my particular kind of movies. they're all firmly in the "easy to watch" (romance, bad comedies and holiday) films. so me putting on Stalker or Blue Velvet on in the living room will probably never happen. thankfully the OLED is in the bedroom so all my movie watching gets done there, usually with noise cancelling headphones on while my partner sleeps because she gets nightmares.

the big baby.

dont tell her i said that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ringu0 posted:

uh-h... Prince of Darkness?

yeaaaaaaaa i suppose

but with an alien and not the devil.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the movie holds up relatively well.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 31, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mem posted:

If you are a Fulci fan, the recent The House by the Cemetery remaster by Blue Underground looks superb. Pretty good extras, watched the special effects one and they go through all the gore scenes talking about how they did them and the guy even shows some of the devices they used.

If you are not, it's a pretty wtf nonsensical plot, although I found it interesting enough.

every Fulci movie is like that.

I just go along for the ride.

:allears:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout’s first (real) 4K release

May 26th

they're starting!!!!

:stoked:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Yea bluray.com forums people are the type that don't really have to like a movie to spend money on it, their goal is basically to own every single relevant film ever made. They'll buy Parasite, throw it on the shelf still in the wrapper, and never touch it again.

i had an uncle who was like that. he had an immaculate DVD collection, but maybe 10 of them were open the rest (probably in the 500+ range) never opened.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm real glad steel books bother me with their sizing and "neatness" factor or else that would be a heavy burden to wear.

now if you ask me about how much I hate some box art and will go down the dark path of tracking down alternate packaging art and paying to get it printed on high gloss paper... that's a conversation.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

At this point 99% of my Blu purchases are $3.99 discs out of the Redbox and I no longer care about how they’re stored.

this upsets me more than it should. i feel so unclean.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

It feels somehow worse whenever someone proselytizes binders

ahhh binders. i remember when i thought I was cool in middle school walking around with my walkman cd player and a 50 disc cd binder with all the cds inside and the album art pamphlet facing outward so i knew what I was selecting...

I can't imagine being a cool adult like that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RichterIX posted:

I wanted the Blade Runner briefcase so bad and now I hate it because I can't bring myself to throw it away and I doubt it's worth anything but I just keep bringing it with me when I move.

I think that the standard 5 disc blade runner set is actually worth more than the briefcase. IIRC, the resale for that 5 disc blu-ray was $135 at its lowest.
also how can anyone forget this one

or this

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

*record scratch*
*opens eBay tab*

e: well that was disappointing

maybe the price fell after the 4k release, but I recall getting a couple offers for it on trading forums and such.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bought the giant stupid version of Halo 3 that came with a nearly life-sized Master Chief helmet because I was a dumb child who thought it was cool. 13 years later it’s just up in my attic collecting dust.

I think the only giant novelty boxset I have now is the Futurama complete series that had new cover art and slimmer packaging. It came in a giant box where the seasons were stacked sideways for some reason, so I just stuck those on the shelf and tossed the box in a closet. If your giant novelty display case isn’t a 1:1 Bender head then why bother?

mine is sitting in my closet. I both want to keep it and get rid of it. I do have a cat now, all these years later... maybe I should turn it into a cat helmet, once and for all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

In a truly just world it would be Jonathan Demme’ Stop Making Sense with all extra footage from the other shows the final film was culled from, band interviews, any behind the scene footage on stage setup, original plans for the stage show, remastered audio and new that the Talking Heads we’re getting back together :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont think I've seen Spartacus since I was a kid. Maybe I'll track down a copy for this weekend.

Tho I did just pickup the Bad Boys 4K collection, Evil Dead 2 (UHD), and The Dark Knight Rises (UHD). So my weekend is pretty booked as is.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think the best ending is all the friends we made along the way.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i wish the digital copy was always for itunes. I've got like 4 different services for all my digital copies on my tv's program list now just to keep track of everything.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's cool that there's internet projects who take the original DVDs of animated shows and do a proper upscale and do a pretty solid job of making absolute garbage looking releases pretty drat watchable now. Been watching the King of the Hill ones and they look plenty fine.

never heard of this before, but now i must know more.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unfortunately everything I’ve grabbed is behind private doors, but I know the magic source is an upscaler called waifu2x (it came from anime, so we’ll just have to deal with the name) and here’s a brief A/B clip someone added to YouTube. Don’t think this is the person who did every episode, so might not be the best example but even on my phone I can see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HruNogUyGss

hot drat. i need to not look for these... not at all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

March pickups so far

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I, Butthole posted:

Never attribute malice where incompetence etc etc etc. It's more likely just some marketing person wanting to make it "less old"

this is far more likely than any licensing issue.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I keep my unwatched stack on the subwoofer and try and keep it below 10 at a time.

tho I just ordered another six 4K sets because amazon has a nice 2 for $30 deal rn for all the shut ins to keep expanding their collection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/AL72B6DJP1Z14?ref_=pdaatf_psp_AL72B6DJP1Z14

446 with no solo dvd's in the collection (yet)
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=483938

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 14, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does anyone else feel like they’ve been training/stocking up for a lockdown for their entire lives when they look at their physical media collection?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the Back to the Future trilogy blu-ray's look great on a 4K screen as well. I hope tho when they do come to UHD that they come a much better package than that annoying pos box the blu-rays came in.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i know slip covers dont matter, but dammit... I will not stand for this non-uniformity.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Just get rid of the slip covers and they'll all be the same.

no... because i already purchased a slip-cover.

UNIFORMITY

:smuggo:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

What you should have done was sell the slip covers to some weirdos online who can't stand have the identical cardboard thing that slides over the case. How do I get in on that scam?

https://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/category-s/110.htm

already doing it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm more pissed they changed the design on 6.

yea I blame that on just being the newest one to hit UHD. A shame, but understandable. I really dig the covers of the older movies for UHD tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Folks... it happened....

IT HAPPEND.