Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, can anyone recommend a 4k player suitable for parents? So a nice simple UI that isn't going to stop supporting apps in 3 months. Do any players use android or is that a stupid question? They've got a hundred crappy devices that collectively do everything, but poorly. Trying to find an all in one for them. Thanks!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FilthyImp posted:

What about the ones made by Sony thay just ported the PS3 UI? Are those 4k?

That was a prettt dead simple interface.

No idea, that sounds good though. Anyone know any model numbers?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

I've never heard of any of those but I'm quite certain that Dead Dudes in the House isn't anywhere near as great as the title.

I worked with a guy who told me about how one of his first jobs was cutting Troma trailers (he's now a very prolific Hollywood editor), including Dead Dudes in the House. The story goes that the film Troma bought was a pretty bland ghost story that proved to be totally scare-less. He's stuck on how to cut the trailer, so Lloyd Kaufman starts spitballing on how to market it based on what's currently popular, which he concludes is surfer dudes and New Kids on the Block. He pulls the fantastic Dead Dudes in the House out of his rear end with the instructions to cut and dub the trailer as a surfer comedy. The director is kept in the dark until he sees the trailer and new title during a film festival and is naturally incensed. Kaufman allegedly threw the trailer editor under the bus, claiming he'd gone rogue.

e: He continued to cut trailers for Troma

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 25, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

As someone who worked for Troma, I can tell you this is totally accurate.

I was once in a meeting in which Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz told me to pitch a Tromeo & Juliet sequel to Comcast entitled "Tromeo & Juliet Do Frankenstein."

This, sadly, did not come to pass.

The natural progression of the franchise I would have thought

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I fully expect Jurassic World: Revenge of the Fallen to continue the series' trend of getting worse with each installment. The Lost World should have killed everyone off straight away and focused on a Goldblum & Postlethwaite dino adventure.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I would definitely watch Transformers vs. Jurassic Park

Didn't they already make that? And it turns out the main robot was at Camelot or something? I'm basing this off a trailer I may have seen.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Steen71 posted:

Oh no, not Arnold. I find him insufferable. It's all: "Here you see me rhading a horse!" "Here you see me shooting a ghan!" "Here you see me being stronk!" It's fun for about five minutes.

The Conan commentary is amazing.

Every time the director describes any part of the production, Arnold chimes in with "I know" like it was for his benefit. It's a good drinking game.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought I would hate it based on the previews, and Will Ferrell's somewhat lovely (Especially at the time) track record. But ended up loving it.

Yeah it came out during Ferrell's trend of making the exact same movie with a change of setting/profession, but it also had John C Reilly and Richard Jenkins so I knew it had to have something going for it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Basebf555 posted:

Pairing John C. Reilly with Ferrell is really perfect because Reilly brings a genuine quality to every single role, and that's the thing that Ferrell always seems to be lacking.

And they both clearly get each other's humour and can build on it. Plus Jenkins is the greatest straight man.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

So what you guys are saying is I need to watch Step Brothers?

If for nothing else than the feeling of wanting to die during Adam Scott and his family's intro, yes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Speaking of 4K, I have a question that's been bugging me. Can someone explain the whole upscaling of 2K thing to me? Like, why is it done instead of scanning the film at 4K? Is it due to technical limitations or budgetary ones? And when we say upscale, is it a similar to the upscaling done by TVs?

Many films are/were finished at 2k with things like visual effects elements rendered at 2k, etc... So unless they want to rerender, recomposite, recolour everything at 4k an upscale is the easiest way.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Now this has me wondering, if most SFX shots are 2K, why don't they look lovely on really big theater screens?

Some do, if you were to go back and re-watch on a big screen. But the good ones sit nicely because they're the same res as the rest of the film, everything gets mastered at the same resolution. The quality of the compositing, things like lighting and texture makes more difference than resolution.

Plus projectors are way more forgiving for enlarging than screens. 2k is pretty drat good, a 1080p bluray will look nice, poo poo even standard def will look good if projected properly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, keep in mind that not all 2K formats are the same. A DCI 2K file for theatrical projection could be ten times the size of the eventual Blu-ray, and that can store additional detail without compression even if the number of pixels is about the same.

True.

Honestly a projector just adds a level of movie magic in of itself. Even watching a rough cut with 1080 dnx proxy media in a cinema makes you see a film you've watched a hundred times feel different.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Watching a VHS bootleg of The Keep, the quality is atrocious though. Is there any better version avaliable?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Surely someone out there would have a print.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

The released version of the Keep was heavily interfered with by the studio so the movie doesn't really represent his vision. The director's cut is about double the length of the theatrical version.

Yeah it shows too. Massive jumps all over the place.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

For sure. That said I'm not sure if I would want to see an almost four hour version of that movie. As much as I know the released version was hacked to bits I get the feeling that the director's cut is probably a boring slog based on what I have seen.

Which is a shame, there's probably a good 2&1/2 hour film in there. I mostly just wanted to see the production design.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If its residue on plastic you can use a little orange oil cleaning product.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Liar Lyre posted:

Nah, it’s the paper slip. I still might try it on something I don’t care about to see if I can do it without ruining it.

It probably will. You could try being very gentle with the foam cleaning sponge thing. Or scrape it with a very sharp scalpel.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Good to know for future reference.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: disregard, I thought they did Seven for less

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 23, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, then should I wait on buying a Despecialized set until after the 4K version is released?

Buying?

I've watched the 4k grainy-as Star Wars and it's leagues above the bluray and quite a bit nicer than the despesh, haven't gotten around to watching Jedi yet.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can only imagine the size of the transport stream files if someone caps those.

Christ, it'll need to compressed as gently caress. I've never finished something at 8k, but I was working with 8k red footage already shot at a 7:1 compression the other day and it was over 1.3TB per hour.

So you'd still be looking at hundreds of GB for a 10bit film to look halfway decent streamed.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 3, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What's the best pc software for uhd these days?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheScott2K posted:

You're really better off just not.

Really, why?
Hardware shouldn't be an issue.

e:

FancyMike posted:

The best pc software for any physical media these days is MakeMKV

This is plan b

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 10, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

The term "director's cut" has been completely ruined by it being used as a marketing gimmick to sell DVDs. Previously it was meant to identify a version of the film that better reflects the director's intention after it had been heavily interfered with by the studio or the ratings board. I don't know about Donnie Darko, but in the case of the Warriors that was not a true director's cut. Though as far as I know Donnie Darko was basically the same thing where the director went back and threw in a bunch of deleted scenes or something because the film was a big hit on video and they more or less wanted to milk the cash cow a little more. If this is the case then it's also not a true director's cut.

No doubt. But that's kind of what I'm talking about, for lack of a better term.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

I would say Alien kind of counts. The cocooning scene is interesting but it really hurts momentum the film builds up at that point. It's also called a "director's cut" despite Ridley Scott outright saying that the original theatrical version of the movie is absolutely his intended version of the film and the later cut was just for the hell of it because Fox approached the makers of all of the movies to make "director's cuts" for a then new DVD box set. Incidentally Fincher basically told them to go screw because they hosed with him and Alien 3 so much that he didn't even get to shoot a lot of the stuff which would have made up his true director's cut. But anyway. the "director's cut" of Alien isn't significantly worse for the addition of that deleted scene it just hurts the pacing near the end of the movie (which is why it was originally cut). I've never watched the extended version of Aliens but it's basically another case of "they threw in some deleted scenes and called it a director's cut". I can't think of too many that were out ruined by this sort of thing mostly it just hurts the pacing and makes the movie bloated. The one thing I will say is that there is a third version of Terminator 2 with an alternate ending that is godawful. The second version (called the special edition) of the movie is basically the same thing but with the ending from the theatrical cut and one less scene which shows the T-1000 searching John's bedroom. In both cases it's easy to see why they cut what they cut, especially since the released version is already over two hours long. Some of it's interesting but all of it is unnecessary.

This was the original ending to Terminator 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEpjgFZpAt0

Thankfully someone realized it was a good idea to change it before the movie came out.

I agree with the pacing issue of Alien but it's just different rather than worse. Aliens is a mixed bag, as with T2 Cameron usually has good instincts but sometimes cuts great scenes and I don't know why. Aliens didn't need the Hadley's hope intro but Ripley's daughter and the sentry gun scenes are great (the later is one of the best in the film), similarly with T2 I have no idea why he cut the chip scene, it's perfect.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Liar Lyre posted:

What about the opposite then? What are essential directors cuts? I know 4 that I hear frequently mentioned are Daredevil, Halloween 6, Brazil and Blade Runner.

It's not actually a director's cut as mentioned, but Alien 3 is greatly improved (I like it, fight me), Aliens, T2 (the first one), Once upon a time in America, Kingdom of Heaven (apparently, haven't seen it), Apocalypse Now (another mixed bag), there's more but I'm not remembering them

e: the LOTR films too, again not called directors cuts but they have a lot of great character scenes that should have been included at the expense of some of the action.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 14, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Iron Crowned posted:

No one should watch the Hobbit movies, ever

I watched the first in the cinema, gave the 2nd the benefit of the doubt on a plane (regretted it) and rage quit a pirated copy of the third 20 minutes in. What a colossal waste of time.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Chip scene is another good scene of highlighting the loss of Sarah Conner’s humanity, while providing John an opportunity to disagree with her and assert himself. I think there’s a lot to it.

Yup, it's also the moment the terminator becomes more than an automaton and you can see the change in his behaviour from that point onwards. It's a very efficient scene and and has some neat visual tricks. Real shame it's not in the theatrical, I really missed it when I saw it again the cinema last year.

I really like the sentry gun scene in Aliens too. The tension is great as you're watching the ammo count falling on the sentries before they retreat, and you know how hosed they are if the aliens come back that way.

It's where you're expecting them to come from again and it makes the reveal better.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah my ideal cut of Aliens and T2 would be the theatrical with the sentry and chip scenes put back in.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CelticPredator posted:

The scene where Ripley finds out her daughter died is the one scene that they should’ve kept.

Oh yeah I forget that's in the extended. Everything but the Hadley's Hope intro, that's a bit unnecessary

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Speaking of Shaw, are they all pretty good releases or is there a standout?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RichterIX posted:

Is Spectre bad? It's the only Bond movie I've never seen, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Very. I wouldn't bother, even if you liked the previous Craig instalments.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Because those people are swine and should be butchered as such.

But I'm a moderate, your views may differ.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Origami Dali posted:

A line in this stuck out for me, “You don’t really meet people because of Netflix".

Why not? None of the streaming services have any kind of social element, and it seems like an oversight. A Netflix with a friends list, maybe via Letterboxd integration or something, would be cool. Maybe each film can have a lobby where people can join to watch together, or a place to talk about the film after. Filter for your city if you're looking for someone local, hell, integrate a dating component. There's lots of possibilities there.

The only thing I've seen that's anything like this is BigscreenVR, and there the choices are incredibly limited unless you know someone with amazing broadband and good taste in movies. That being said, it feels like the actual future of social movie watching.

You'll never get this or any other kind of innovation while each app is allowed to hold a monopoly on its content. The market will just continue to fragment before collapsing and being absorbed by Disney and Amazon.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 30, 2019

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Did y'all watch the same movie?
You expect cosmic justice from a film, Wolf of Wall Street intends to make you angry that Bellfort never gets his comeuppance. That's the entire point.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Casimir Radon posted:

He got to cameo in the movie...

If the film didn't convince you he'd sign off on anything for a pay cheque I don't know what will. Look at that scene again, what is happening in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, is there a uhd release of Night of the Living Dead planned? I know they restored it at 4k for the criterion bluray but can't find any information about a uhd release in the works and folks in this thread seem to have godly abilities to know such things.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 11, 2019