Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

Or if you're really into the hobby, a region free player for around 140.

What is a good region free blu ray player? I bought Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-Ray Player from 220-electronics.com and it has trouble reading certain discs. Lots of skipping around on anything that isn't in pristine condition.

The Region 1 Sony I bought from BestBuy doesn't have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is there a good boxset of Hammer Horror films? I'm not especially versed in them, but if there is a definitive collection I'd like to check t out.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liar Lyre posted:

They’ve been pretty good about getting hard to get films due to audio. They managed to get Dudes last year. I guess being a split off of Rhino kinda helps with that too.

Now I know that there is a Blu-Ray of Dudes I have to get. Thanks!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

Being region free is both a blessing and a curse.

Speaking of which, any recommendations on a good Region Free Blu-Ray player?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CPL593H posted:

I've definitely heard Nirvana on classic rock stations.

I am further in time from my high school music than my mom was from her's when I was in high school. It's weird getting old.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Egbert Souse posted:

Indicator:

Sam Fuller at Columbia

I know that's only some of this year's releases, but it's drat impressive. We even got The Beatles in hi-res 5.1.

Any idea if this release is better than the 2012 DVD release?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Monday_ posted:

A PC with MakeMKV.

That or just an external BR disc player. It's weirdly difficult to get a program to play Blu-Rays on a PC though.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man I forgot how bad those slime blowers and dark jumpsuits look

Eh, the dark jumpsuits are fine, but it's weird how little they were used in the movie.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a blu ray burner?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cemetry Gator posted:

The 4K package has a remastered Blu-ray as well, and that's where all the extras are.

But still. SD Prince is like taking the Mona Lisa and setting it on fire.

https://youtu.be/W6hknFigMSI

And prepare yourself to face... I don't know. Ninjas, greasers, football players, and people with lights for eyes.

I didn't know this song was about a woman teaching at an all boys school who wanted to take a dip in the student population.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is the Shout Factory or arrow release of John Carpenter's The Thing a better transfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liar Lyre posted:

Do y’all love Tom Cruise? Top Gun, War of the Worlds, and Days of Thunder are all headed for 4K in May. I remember War of the Worlds being pretty visually bland. The other two should really benefit from the upgrade.

Weirdest thing about War of the Worlds is the square jawed soldier that Tom Cruise talks to at the end of the movie was my Drill Sergeant.

Anyway, I love introducing my wife to classics she hasn't seen. We watched the 4K transfer of the Thing and she asked "why are they being so mean to that poor dog?"