Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah but have you seen S-VHS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Also, lowered expectations is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkiJQhfUuc

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

xarph posted:

I'm curious if pure CGI movies would get re-rendered out at a higher base resolution, upscale a DI, or scan a print.
Existing CGI movies on UHD are all an upscale of a 2K digital master.
Unfortunately their render farms are already at capacity cranking out 2K, but yeah a 4K render would be amazing. It's not like there aren't any 4K theater projectors.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JP3 is a lovely little amuse-bouche, an inoffensive nothing of a movie. It is a cinematic breath mint.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

It already looks bad so I'm not sure a bump in resolution is really gonna make it that much worse. You had to suspend disbelief before, and you still do. This is a complaint that gets brought up a lot about 4k and I just don't see it as a problem with 99% of the releases so far.

I mean you can't bump the resolution above the grain of the film itself so it's not like you can make it so sharp that it never would have looked like that in any theater.

It's not like the original star trek where TVs of the time had garbage picture and the HD version reveals all kinds of flaws that they safely ignored at the time