Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GonSmithe posted:

Same with the PS4 and the PS4 Pro.
It's trash that they double-dipped the generation to improve their PSVR setup and couldnt toss a loving UHD drive in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ego-bot posted:

Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? .
My guess is that streaming killed all notions of Big Media Showcase stuff like the old 20 CD Changerplayers. Maybe also because blu adoption wasnt as monumental

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oddly enough, I did DVD authoring for a little school and the saddest thing was making a decent looking menu that got resolution-squashed in the final version, or loving up the pathing for NEXT BACK HOME on the select a chapter screen.. RIP Adobe Encore.

First DVD I ever saw in the wild was Rush Hour, playing in a corner of Sam Goody's at CItywalk. I remember being pretty impressed at how sharp everything looked.

First DVDs I owned were Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Deep Blue Sea (both gifted to us by a family member that had one of those Columbia House things). First actual purchase? As Good as it Gets.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

Or you can buy just the one dvd that has both editions so the whole family can enjoy!
No one enjoyed the dubbed version though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheScott2K posted:

First HDDVD was Goodfellas.
I actually purchased The Fountain for my HDDVD player (later got the Blu, too).

Then I got a 5 pack of those mail-ins with The Thing and Fullmetal Jacket and I think The Frighteners.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

Were late fees really that big of a deal though?
Yeah. It was thw incentive to prevent people from turning their hotly anticipated 2 night Aladdin rental into "Have the kids watch the tape for three weeks and return it"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when the Gold and Silver Box VHS trilogy release was a thing?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hi thread, can anyone recommend a 4k player suitable for parents?
What about the ones made by Sony thay just ported the PS3 UI? Are those 4k?

That was a prettt dead simple interface.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lizard Combatant posted:

No idea, that sounds good though. Anyone know any model numbers?

BDP S6200, but the newer models have a blocky, Roku-like interface from what I can see. That might be better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While I'm sure it'll just be off of some master they have lying around, it would be kinda cool to see pure CGI movies get rendered out with what the artists would have liked to have done if they had the computing horsepower. If I remember correctly, they had a lot of trouble rendering wet hair the first time around.
Eh, I'm not sure we need an HD Remaster Special Edition culture to take root in CGI films. That's been the death of creativity in this game generation.
I usually feel like early CGI films have rigging or animation shortcomings more than render issues.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I admit that CGI has made some major strides since 2004, but really? The Incredibles still looks great, mostly thanks to the brilliant art style.
If you didn't like the clay-model faces or weird ears it was a little disconcerting. I think some of it is art style or design, but Violet looks really rough at stadium at the end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

Today I learned that my Blu-ray copy of Take Shelter has tripled in value.
Nothing like stuff being out of print

quote:

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: 4KJAAVLYU4WFA7D2
poo poo, I was sure this was gone but I grabbed it. Thanks!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

edit: As an aside, I have an Xbox that plays UHD blu-rays now, is there any point to getting them if I still have a 1080p TV?
Not practically now, no, since the set won't be able to take advantage of the HDr stuff and resolution.

There's an argument for getting UHD sets that have a Blu+Digital for future proofing, and maybe because the code redemption will pop the UHD version into your account.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

I'm starting to see some 2017 4k TV models priced at like $400-$500. Is that legit?
Yeah. You can get a decent HDTV in the 55" range for less than 500, easy. Just make sure they support HDR and if you care, the ones branded as RokuTVs usually dont have an OTA digital tuner.

You'll likely have slightly less HDMI ports, and a combo port for Composite/Component. The actual HDR scheme supported probs wont be Dolby Vision on the cheaper models, and they wont be as super bright as the more pricey models. I upgraded my curved Samsung last December due to a bad backlighting panel, and the new one had HDR and a way better menu system.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

I know generally how important HDR is but you're saying that the brightness would be different on a cheaper model. Like, enough of a difference that it's worth spending hundreds of dollars more?
I think anyone really concerned about that level of brightness probably will be looking at a QLED/OLED set with Dolby certification. The more expensive sets do things like SmartRemote voice/motion control, Bluetooth, Atmos, etc. DVision will probably settle in as a Premium Feature that isnt supported everywhere since there's licensing costs and whatnot.
The Dolby cert needs a minimum threshold of brightness/nits/whatevs, but I have a 2017 model Samsung and the thing is plenty loving bright for my living room. Havent noticed any lag with my game consoles either, though I did need some tweaking to get the HDR looking right the first few days. I totally would have spent $1200 to get a 75" tv, but I needed something I could pay off in a few months.

HDR is what replaced 3D as a feature, but now they're moving towards OLED/Q/XLed for richer blacks, and they quickly realized it's hard to see the benefits of HDR without a reference picture so making it a big item feature wasnt working.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alec Eiffel posted:

So wait now I need Dolby Vision HDR? When will these fucks get it straight and just sell me a not-gimped TV?
Whenever they can decide on standards and not have someone jump in and say "Mine is slightly better and more expensive and you have to pay to license it and it's in half of everything you'll buy because."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nihonniboku posted:

Just think what kind of expanded universe we're going to get from The Simpsons if the Disney Fox merger goes through.

Sora! You must stop Mr Burns from stealing Comic Book Guy's Heartless!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Unmature posted:

: Never Stop Never Stopping?
I felt that subtitle needed something more clumsy and ridiculous, like Never Stop Unending

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What the hell, man. Critters 1 is the critter. Critters 2 is supposed to have the big criteball. A shameful collection

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

So it's not even possible for a UHD to be region locked? That's awesome.
Aw gently caress. The next gen vidjas better all do 4kUHD drives because I really don't want to loving but a dedicated player for that poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

I sure hope there's just something wrong with how they're presenting the screens and the flames aren't actually all one shade of orange in UHD.
My Samsung has like 3 different settings under the HDR+ menu, and I can guarantee one of them will gently caress up the colors some way or another.

I tried leaving it off, but the screen is brighter with it enabled so meh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Usually the trick is that things are delisted but still able to be downloaded/appear in your queue. Just nuking them is busted as all gently caress.

VoodooXT posted:

My issue with streaming services is how largely it's becoming Balkanized. I'm not paying for multiple streaming services.
Truth. They'll even pull series' from one service to another. Hulu used to have the CW WB shows on like a day or two after airing. It was a great way to keep current with them.
Now they're on Netflix like 3 weeks after the season ends.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
From Coupons, Creepshow 2 Blu for $5

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

I basically have three options. Buy a 75" LCD (sacrifice picture quality), buy a 65" OLED (sacrifice size), or wait 2 or 3 years until OLEDs are more reasonably priced and get a 75" OLED. What would ya'll do?
Hey there, comedy option 4 is buy the refreshed-processor version of the 65" NOW because it's on sale for like $2,100 from this ebay listing.

I know the 10 extra inches would be immersive or whatever, but that's about $1000 cheaper than the amazon price for the set.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Usually a good assumption but Shannon Elizabeth really had no talent.
She was passable in... scary movie?
But yeah, oh man her delivery was Made for TV stilted.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Never thought Christine would benefit from 4k, what with it being 70s King that isn't Carrie and all.

2001 would be pretty sumptuous though. I'd really like to get my hands on some noir/b&w stuff in 4k. Casablanca? What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Twilight Zone remasters? They'd look spectacular.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Amazon's listed the non special set before. The cover art is kind of bad, but I dont need a funko and art book, just the digital code.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boywhiz88 posted:

However, there’s a great deal on the 65” Z9D via BBY. I just picked one up myself. $1999, down from $3499.

So, consider that! It has 3D!
gently caress, wish I had the money for a proper 3D screen. Just have to make due with my old 42" from Samsung.

By the by, the LG C8 OLED is like $1700 on BB
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-oled-c8-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202832.p?skuId=6202832

the B8 is like $1500 I think, so might as well OLED if you're :10bux:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

I won’t upgrade because no way can I afford any of that equipment
The Black Friday deals on 4k tvs seem to be in the 400 range and there's a Sony UHD player at $150.

I mean, I dont have the money for that, but its not as expensive as it might seem.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

I kind of enjoyed seeing the handful of episodes of Twilight Zone they shot on 60's-rear end video as a cost saving method.
They have that weird effect where everything smears like a vaseline acid trip if the camera pans too quickly, and candles/bright light sources create an unholy black flame and bright halo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cemetry Gator posted:

Basically, a lot of early TV was recorded for later use by just filming a TV and using that as your output.

They have a pretty distinct look.
That explains why I get the feeling I turned into Dark Shadows whenever one of those goes on.

But thanks for explaining why it gets that look. I learned something about even cheaper ways to get shows on air!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

How did they compare to blu-ray?
The HDdvd spec was finalized when the players went to market, so they were actually [in terms of user experience] much better than the Gen1 Blus. By contrast, i think the only Blu player on the market worth half a poo poo was the PS3 because that supported patching and was $499.99 worth of uncompromised work.

From memory:
HdDVD supported Dolby TrueHD audio (or whatever that was called). All players were capable of firmware updates through internet or usb, though I remember the players being short on memory so they ran a little slow. All discs supported pop-up menus. Overall storage capacity was less than Blus, but Dual Layer HDdvds would have solved that -- they were announced before the format died, though.

BR Players were a goddamn mess, and the discs werent much better. Menu button dropped you back to the main screen like DVDs, iirc.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 8, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was sick as a dog yesterday and sat down to watch T24k (digital). About halfway through the biker scene i realized I did t see any grain. how much DNR did the film go through???

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

People say this, but why ruin the movie to prevent the sequels when you can just not watch them? And anyway it's not like the studio would just not make more of them if they'd really wanted to.
:jihad:
What if we can't stop it. What if that sappy ending gets changed to something totally bitching and open ended?

:awesomelon:
In three years, Paramount Pictures become the largest supplier of Terminator related media. All Sci-Fi and Anime robots are upgraded with Terminator aesthetics, becoming fully unoriginal. Afterwards, chrome killer robots dominate pop-culture with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The franchise goes online on July 2nd, 2003. Human input is removed from subsequent decisions. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they release Terminator Genisys.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

How do UHD codes work? If I post them, should I specify that it's 4k? Does that make a difference?
You get 4k + everything under it.

The platform + app you use determines what resolution you get, iirc.

So you'll have the 4k listed on your PS3 Vudu app, but playback there is limited to HD.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just checked and it's like $250 to get the things I want from the sale. Not bad! :homebrew:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can only imagine they just had a warehouse full of the Blu drives they used on the OG 4, and the margins to change to a 4k just weren't there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

I have an Xbox One S and if it has a UHD drive that's news to me.
About the level of savvy we's expect from an XboneS owner, yes

Wait my ps4 is just a dumb bludrive... drat :pwn:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 18, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Not preferring HDR is weird to me though, I love those strong saturated colors.
I have a cheapo Costco Samsung 4k and I usually hate the HDR because I jump down a rabbit hole of comparing STG and BTS and then making sure the dumb set didn't activate the DNR+240hz interpolation and arreggggggghhhhhh.

But i don't have a UHD player yet so...

We have a pair of the LG B8 OLEDs at work and I just want to sit and twiddle with them and run quality settings like nobody's business.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The resolution thing sucks and it's made worse by shitass compression leaving blocks everywhere gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does anyone know what the quality of the upcoming Little Mermaid 4k is like?

Already have the 3D Blu, and I loving love that thing. How much better can it get??