Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

No actually the Rocky UHDs are coming out for the first time in February. You're probably thinking of Rambo.

there are steelbooks for each rambo in 4k uhd? i know there are steelbooks for each rambo in blu-ray. could you link me to them? not seeing them from searching.

i think i’d only want first blood, but could probably be convinced to get the second and third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1608343600773095427

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1608344013144477703

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, i stopped using amazon last year because of data privacy issues. but it really sounds like the scamming has gone to a whole new level. hell, it feels like ebay's more reliable at this point?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just found out blow out is in 4k uhd and that is a must buy iyam.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

nice. yea, it is everything tarantino wants to be but fails to achieve. it's so effortless and rules so hard. de palma :crush:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the t2 4k version is bad?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i just learned about vinegar syndrome from this thread. basically just a cult film distributor/reseller?

and good lord, that subscription fee is yowza.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

holy moly, these scanner cop films are sequels to scanners? ordered!

and there were two more sequels prior to these?!?!? gotta find them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Scanner Cop 1&2 are great schlock, but I was mostly bored by Scanners 2&3. You can watch the Scanner Cops without seeing the other sequels and they’re both far superior.

good to know--thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Does anybody know of a rights issue that might be preventing a UHD release for The Exorcist? It's the 50th anniversary this year, and I just saw that Exorcist III is getting a UHD in a few months, but so far the first film hasn't been announced, which is odd.

similarly, the first terminator. that's probably my most wanted film at this point.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i had never heard of tim ritter but i just watched the trailer for that set and i feel like i've witnessed a whole new depth of film depravity. the blurb says his 'truth or dare' series is very well celebrated so maybe i should try that first.

is that series good?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the video game detention is based on is really good fwiw. gonna grab the film to see how that goes.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

Detention is batshit, but nothing worked for me. Literally ADHD the movie

nah, that's a chinese made game that came out in 2017..and is way better..no relation

i'm confused. the only video game named detention that i know, and the one i played, is the one from the taiwanese dev. plus, the blurb from the film:

vinegar syndrome posted:

Set during the Taiwanese martial law of the 1960s, this shockingly gruesome and terrifying coming-of-age drama based on a hugely popular video game sees two classmates who go looking for their missing friends and teachers, all of whom took part in an illegal book club, only to come face to face with ghosts and deformed monsters that have taken over their school. This masterful debut from director and co-writer John Hsu recalls the best of Guillermo del Toro, with enough blood, striking sound design, art direction and special effects to evoke Silent Hill and other landmarks of the genre.

which matches the game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

oh i'm dumb then

I thought they were carrying the 2011 film, Detention (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701990/) which is a horror comedy that is also perfect VS material

ah, gotcha. didn't know that existed, and yea, that seems up vs's alley.

as far as this detention goes, it started the game from taiwan. china banned it and the other game from those devs, devotion. then there was the film. and now i think netflix turned it into a series? like i said, i've only played the game, but am eager to see the film. game was wild and super fatalistic.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what are the best versions of planet earth/bbc nature documentaries in general?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

esperantinc posted:

Speaking of pre-orders, if anyone else was jazzed by the Rocky I-IV steelbooks that Best Buy is putting out, those are up now. Though if you're impatient, you may just want to order the box set. BB for some reason is staggering the steelbook releases, so Rocky is out 2/28 along with the box set. Then the rest one a week until IV on March 21st.

Which is so dumb. Has there ever been anything like that before? We're gonna punish you and make you wait because you want them all individually?

does the set consist of the steelbooks? if this is the set:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocky-the-knockout-collection-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/6528810.p?skuId=6528810

then i don't think so?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dorium posted:

didnt Best Buy used to charge as soon as you placed a pre-order in? I noticed for that Terrifier 2 release I wasnt charged until the release day. I'm not complaining, I just thought their policy used to be different or is this a mandela effect thing?

in my experience, it depends if you use paypal. if you preorder a game or film or whatever and charge it directly to your credit card, best buy simply puts a hold on your credit card. this falls off after 3-5 days. if you preorder a game or film or whatever and charge it with paypal, they charge you then and there.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's the appeal of the best buy card exactly?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not too shabby. i'll look into it.

and speaking of collections, what do you all use to store yours? i'm slowly building mine up again, along with my gaming and book collections, and plan on just using ikea billys. are there better options? could be into some diy options if they're not too diy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

does vs take a while to ship things? i only placed my first order last week.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, makes sense. i ended up getting a few movies each day and adding them to my first order, so i imagine mine was a bit messier than most.

obviously i'm in no rush. seems like they've got a good little thing going.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

surprised to learn the original tron doesn't have a 4k uhd release. not sure how that's possible, but eagerly awaiting that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

I hope this gets a screening near where I love. What a great loving movie. I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, Assault on Precinct 13 is a perfect goddamn film and this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

quote:

1/11 – 1/13 – Globe Cinema / Calgary, Canada
week of 1/20 – Gateway Film Center / Columbus, OH
week of 1/20 – Screenland Armour / Kansas City, MO
week of 1/20 – Majestic Theaters Tempe / Phoenix, AZ
week of 1/20 – Music Box / Chicago, IL
week of 1/27 – The Beacon / Seattle, WA
week of 1/27 – Somerville Theater / Somerville, MA
week of 1/27 – Plaza Theater / Atlanta, GA
week of 1/27 – Charlotte Film Society / Charlotte, NC
1/22 – Digital Gym / San Diego, CA
1/26 – Crosstown Arts / Memphis, TN
starting 1/26 – Rio Theatre / Vancouver, BC
1/27 – 1/30 – Frida Cinema / Santa Ana, CA
1/29 – 2/1 – Metro Cinema / Edmonton, Canada
throughout Feb 2023 – Winnipeg Film Society / Winnipeg, Canada
2/3 – Charles Theater / Baltimore, MD
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse DTLA / Los Angeles, CA
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Lower Manhattan / NYC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse New Mission / San Francisco, CA
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Park North / San Antonio, TX
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Raleigh / Raleigh, NC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Sloans Lake / Denver, CO
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar / Austin, TX
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Staten Island / NYC
week of 2/3 – Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers / Yonkers, NY
week of 2/3 – Mayfair Theater / Ottawa, ON
week of 2/3 – Hollywood Theater / Portland, OR
week of 2/3 – Cinema Arts Centre / Huntington, NY
2/6 – Nitehawk Prospect Park / NYC
2/17 – 2/18 – Late Nite Grindhouse / St. Louis, MO
2/25 – University of Wisconsin Cinematheque / Madison, WI
week of 3/10 – Ragtag Cinema / Columbia, MO
3/17 – 3/19 – Trylon Cinema / Minneapolis, MN

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

morestuff posted:

I got that four-pack with Escape From New York / Fog / They Live / Prince of Darkness on sale and I'm very happy with the PQ. From what I remember it's the same transfer, just light on extras

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1615353677576916993?s=20&t=93jOfSd1dF6KcGwagfIDUg

Red Eye is a banger but I can't imagine it'll benefit too much from the upgrade, might just wait for it to drop under $10

any idea if this'll be available for pre-order at any non-amazon retailers? not seeing it elsewhere unfortunately.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

might be a touchy subject, but here goes. is there any way to get non-special editions of the original star wars trilogy in 4k uhd, or has every release since those special editions been hosed? would love those originals done right somehow, and figure there might be a slight chance disney decided to unfuck the films.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, so i've heard. i just can't stand the special editions so i'm not even going to try the retails i know are out there.

i also just learned there's a disc in the 2006 release with the original, pre-special edition versions on there. but i guess solely to troll the true fans the studio didn't touch them up whatsoever.

pretty brazen.

it's also wild how there're like 4 different versions of the touched-up, non-special editions. the 4k__, the despecialized, the silver screen edition, and something else i can't remember the name of right now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

vs still says it's only for preorder, so i don't think it's even been delivered to them yet?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

PinkoBastard posted:

Attention to all men my age who are me: it’s happening!! April, and apparently there’s many more Rollin 4K to come. I’m so stoked!!

oh snap.

i'm only seeing this on the site diabolik. will this come to grindhouse? best buy? if not, is diabolik safe?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks for the replies in support of diabolik! ended up buying quite a bit from them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is son of the stars a kind of he-man knock off?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh my god, the birdemic trilogy looks fantastic. that's happening.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Homeybeef posted:

God drat it someone talk me out of this.

I've only seen the first 2 and kind of hated the second one, but I also own (and spent more money on) much worse movies.

i've only seen the trailer, granted. but there are 'much worse' films? this looks...i don't know. this looks real, real, real bad.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

never seen it, but a friend has raved about it. is this version the one to get? will it have the ending you're looking for, is that a joke about the film?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

huh. finally got my donnie darko box and it...came with a replacement 4k disc. turns out the 4k disc sent with the box itself had massive skipping issues, and they had to replace everyone's 4k disc. there's a whole replacement program for it if you had already bought it a while ago and need the fixed disc.

hadn't seen that before, but good on arrow.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

when do those arrow releases go on sale?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, they're not even going up for pre-order until may?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

even if you were born in 2003 or something i have no idea how you could have never heard of the matrix? it had all sorts of sequels and remakes and what not. plus, keanu. had they not heard of john wick? how could you know john wick and not know about his most famous past work?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i get that. and i'm not a huge movie-watcher or anything. but i guess it's my age that suggests to me keanu is more than a film star? more like he's embedded into broader culture. like, there's tons of memes with him. he's done tons of charity. he's been a sex symbol for decades. seems like it would be hard to ignore him, but...i guess i'm wrong.

he's not tom cruise, who i imagine almost everyone's heard of, but he's not far below in my head.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's that clip from?

and i'd love to get a 4k version of the dead zone. that film rules.

and firestarter.

hell, let's just redo all of the early king-based films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1638199874238701568