Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Because shrink wrap plastic gets glare on it from overhead lighting which renders the art underneath impossible to see at some angles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Wandle Cax posted:

Is that seriously the reason for cardboard slip covers? can't say I've ever had so much unavoidable glare that I couldn't see a dvd cover

This is one of those things where you’re not even aware of what you’re missing out on. A casual consumer is going to scan a shelf with fifty different titles on it, not bother making sure they look at every single title, and the ones that catch their eye are what they’ll gravitate towards.

Catching your eye is also why home video covers emphasize faces more than movie posters do.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5msrmf5Tw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Friend is experiencing gradient banding on his 4K movies. His setup: Oppo UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X3200W -> Sony XBR-65X750D.

His setup seems to have HDR capability, so any idea what might be causing it?

edit: okay, turns out that there's an "ENHANCED" mode on the TV that he turned off thinking it was frame smoothing but actually enables 10bit color

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bought DVDs even before I had a DVD player, that’s how on-board I was with the format.

Some startup dot com was offering 3 DVDs for $20 so I got 2001, Blade Runner DC and I forgot what the third was.

Blade Runner was letterboxed 2.2:1 inside 4x3 and was so primitive I don’t think it even had a menu, it would just start the movie when you put it in the player. Still happy about getting those two movies to this day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
loving hell the Bladerunner DVD did have a menu after all. I didn't know this for 20 years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
... just not at the same time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Going back to the D-VHS talk, my office has a 400 seat theater and we rent it out all the time to screenings, and occasionally to AV tech companies. Back in 2003 or so, the developers of D-VHS rented our theater for a whole month to show off the theatrical projection capability to prospective buyers. I got to sit in on a demo and was blown away by some helicopter footage of a canyon, and I think I saw that New York footage someone posted earlier. It was my first time seeing high definition video. In a format small enough for home! And it's good enough to project in a theater! I was amazed by all this. Then I remembered that it was a tape and that you'd have to rewind it, and I immediately muttered under my breath that it was going to flop.

Seriously, I couldn't heap dirt on VHS' grave fast enough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any Pioneer player should probably be fine. They basically saved the format in the 80's because they bought into the format hard and their manufacturing saved LD's reputation by fixing the failure rate of the discs. I have a player that's a combination Sega Genesis and Pioneer LD player, and all the capacitors in the Genesis module failed while the Pioneer LD section is working fine.

Also, lowered expectations is great because the video doesn't scale up nearly as well as DVD.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 13, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s no value quality-wise in Laserdisc but I think there’s some fun in educating yourself about it hands-on as a historical curiosity especially for a format nerd like Egbert

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don’t think there are any titles that were Laserdisc only other than Sega Genesis LD games, I think everything else on LD was also on VHS.

The two big ones that were on LD that didn’t make it to DVD are Star Wars theatrical original trilogy and Disney’s Song of the South which only came out internationally on VHS and on Japanese Laserdisc. You’ll never get it because the collectors are holding onto it with iron talons. Star Wars ANH THX on the other hand I found for $4

Some more:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/dvd-vhs-and-laser-disc-forever?utm_term=.skoMqNZLM#.vt0kgqJ0k

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

People still watching movies on tape wouldn't be considered hipstery?

We want the audience to fear for the protagonists, not cheer their deaths

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RevKrule posted:

You're forgetting the horse birth which was incredibly gruesome but S&P said it was ok as long as the dead woman's nipple wasn't shown as she came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABcDwBVyXg

You didn't even use the best horse birth scene from that episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Edit: Since it is the physical media thread, I'd like to add that the Criterion disc of The Silence of the Lambs is utterly gorgeous.

Gotta see those made for tv titles in crystal clear 1080p quality

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Almost Blue posted:

Wait, what happened with Fuller? I haven't kept up with TV in the past few years besides Twin Peaks

He signed up as showrunner for both Star Trek Discovery and American Gods at the same time, got caught up in American Gods and let Star Trek sit on the back burner and get delayed until CBS had to put their foot down and got someone else to produce it. Then after one season of American Gods he intentionally made some ridiculous budget demands so that the studio would have to say no, so that he had an excuse to leave and go work on Vampire Chronicles

He used to have a sterling reputation for trying hard and just having undeserved bad luck but now he looks unreliable and like someone who sabotages himself

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The first season was good at least

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know I’m just angry because I bought the old transfer bd

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s that time of the year again

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-...FFCriterionCast

4% savings!!!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 28, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-criterion-collection-50-off/_/N-2qpt

Ok actual sale prices in effect now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I might’ve seen the same print when it was at Beyondfest. I can’t imagine what a remastering can do to it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steen71 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake! Of course Christopher Nolan thinks that 2001 should have the same colour scheme as Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1JIkK7-fUI

I don’t think Nolan is loving with the prints or anything, is he? It says “unrestored” which suggests he was hands off. But I way prefer the levels and color in the Blu-ray version, the coldness seems to fit the space setting and the themes better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s interesting.

Matrix came out March 1999, Fight Club (which had a slight green tint) in sept 1999, and then O Brother Where Art Thou came out in 2000, which taught everyone that digital color correction could be a thing. So maybe OBWAT is responsible for Matrix turning green?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is the fake 3D in Bladerunner 2049 any good? Has post-production 3D gotten any better or does it still look like cardboard cutouts shuffling around on a diorama

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
RIP, Blu-Ray

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-confirms-its-stopping-blu-ray-player-production

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1644892688670441473?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Which Blu-ray should I get if I want the original color?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Future movies will be vector based and have infinite resolution

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It seems like a waste of money, but I personally feel it’s worth it to buy both versions of Death Proof because the way the Grindhouse version is edited down is genuinely funny

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

That's clearly Martin Scorsese when what you want is Woody Allen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Vinegar syndrome was already taken, so I’m going to name my boutique distributor Nitrate Fire

or Rusty Can

Edit: Moldy Reel

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Green is an easy way to create unease I assume

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
An absolute madman’s movie collection. People are asking for obscure movie checks and so far the owner has all of them

https://x.com/vinnybutbetter/status/1748898354107453636?s=46

Also replaced all his Blu-ray cases with clear ones and made custom black labels for all his horror movies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s a hardcore contingent of 5000-7000 people who will buy almost anything on Blu-ray. If you dial in the price point and how many you need to print youre good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don’t know if it’s just me, but I got burnout on DVD extras 10 years ago for some reason. Before I would watch all the documentaries and interviews and watch the whole movie over again with the commentary but now I’m just one and done, just gimme the picture quality

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone got the Amadeus Blu-ray? Does it contain the theatrical cut? I can’t tell from the Amazon description

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok guess I’ll hold out then thanks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Has anyone bothered making their own edits of films for their own enjoyment? I’ve been toying with this idea because often times in extended editions there are some scenes that improve the movie and some that drag, and I’d like to see a version with just the additional scenes I liked

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay what if I made a thread for making your own edits, where we could share ideas for edits and give each other feedback

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stick to physical media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7333770640861826346