Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just dumped my old Nightmare on Elm St and Friday the 13th DVD sets because I bought the Blu ray sets. At a fraction of the price of what the DVDs cost 10 years ago too.

BTW Wal Mart has the new F13 blu ray set on the shelves for $29.99 if anyone missed the older one that's going for a couple hundred dollars now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

IUG posted:

The DVDs are also already starting to suffer disk rot, and I couldn't rip a few of them that have been in the cases for years prior to that.

Please post examples of your "disc rot" and also what region? Disc rot is a big boogy man in the CD collecting community but it's mostly a myth because it only affects certain pressings and labels, mostly in the UK iirc.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I recently got my first VCR since 2003, in order to watch tapes from this cult movie buff whose taped-from-TV-in-the-80s-and-90s collection I bought on eBay.

...they're the best. Watching 80s commercials in between segments of horror-host hosted movies is a dream.

I have 2 working VCRs in my media room. One is hooked up to my stereo stack, you haven't lived until you've watched a VHS tape with stereo sound oh boy.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

At this rate Wal Mart's media section will still be 50% DVDs in 2040.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Check out these sweet physical medias I got dirt cheap today.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BDLive is the reason I leave my 4K player offline. First time I played a 2007 Blu and current trailers played it freaked me out.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I see those DVD carousels at thrift stores from time to time. I'm guessing they don't make stuff like that anymore because no one has big stereo stacks anymore.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My first DVD was Terminator 2. It cost $30 and had to be taken out of a locked glass case at Wal Mart. I watched it on my computer and it blew me away. Must have been 1999 or early 2000 because I didn't get a DVD player for my TV until December 2000.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Heads up: The Ring blu ray was a $5 bargain bin disc as recently as a year ago. Now it's OOP and selling for $20 or the Best Buy version is $40.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome's stuff looks amazing, and none of it has the lazy filters and other digital mumbo jumbo that current movies have. My statement was a knock on modern film making rather than an actual complaint about Vinegar Syndrome.

I discovered a couple years ago that I don't like The Ring anymore. There's something about it that has just been lost to me now that VCRs and tube based TVs are antiquated.

I'm surprised they haven't made a new Ring but with smart phones or maybe they have and I just haven't been following. I want to see a hipster The Ring that spreads the curse with records.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My home town had 2 awesome video rental stores. Video Magic and Premier Video. Last time i visited my parents Video Magic is still there, still full of people on Friday nights and still has the same drat dude working there after 20 years. Blows my mind. But everything in North Dakota is 10 years behind.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Shout Factory posted:

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

More zombies and “more brains!” are shambling into our factory this Summer! We’re super excited to report today that the highly-requested undead sequel RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART II is (finally) coming to Blu-ray!! Here are the early details we have at present time:

• This will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date). U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).

• The newly-commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Graham Humphreys (who also illustrated our original ROTLD cover back in 2016). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will the original theatrical poster design.

• Extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced later in early July. However, we can confirm today that we will be doing a brand-new HD film transfer and will be correcting the soundtrack issues that were present on the previous DVD release.

• National street date is planned for August 14th. However, if you pre-order now for early shipping directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/return-of-the-living-dead-part-ii-collector-s-edition?product_id=6790 you will also receive an 18' x 24" rolled poster of the newly-commissioned art. We’ll be only be producing 1,000 of the posters so act fast!

Damnit I can't believe what I just paid for this movie but I want that original sound track. Haven't heard it since the movie came out and this was one of the first horror movies I ever remember renting.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

If any of you are into steelbooks, Shout Factory's Army of Darkness is at $20 pre-order now, which is cheaper than I've seen the regular edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT8SHGZ/

Also, their The Fog steelbook is $12.61:

https://www.amazon.com/Fog-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B0711CP878/

I'm waiting for the price of Lifeforce to drop.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hey did someone say VHS? Here's some of the tapes I've bought recently.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

John Carpenter films in pan & scan :smith:

Future generations (or current?) Are going to be so confused as to why we accepted pan and scan for the first 20 years of home video.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Candyman is such a great film. That's gonna be a day 1 buy for sure.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found a Criterion DVD for a buck at Goodwill today. The Battle Of Algiers. What am I getting into?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

All this talk of getting two copies of a movie in a box set scared me and I opened the Friday the 13th box set I've has laying around for months. Two loving copies of part 4 and no part 2. God damnit.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just shocked that some of you let your discs sit around unopened. The first thing I do every time I get them home is to open them up and examine them for damage.

I have 2 kids.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

All this talk of getting two copies of a movie in a box set scared me and I opened the Friday the 13th box set I've has laying around for months. Two loving copies of part 4 and no part 2. God damnit.

Paramount took care of me already and Fedexed me a replacement Blu Ray.

Here's a great list of customer support contacts BTW:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91684

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I imagine that the early Mickey Mouse cartoons will be passing into the public domain soon.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm not upgrading my first release Blu Ray of Dracula until they fix the framing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

JebanyPedal posted:

Wait, what was wrong with it? I hadn't seen the film in around two years so I didn't notice anything rewatching it.

The entire movie has been reframed slightly up and to the left. It wouldn't be a huge deal but it changes this scene because you don't see that Dracula notices Mina, and it just bugs me that it's not supposed to be framed that way.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Use lighter fluid to take off stickers and residue.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Scream Factory slips are worth more than most blu rays. Just the slips.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well I just ordered the Warlock collection. I've never seen Warlock in widescreen so I'm pretty excited. Picked out Return of the Living Dead 3 as my free blu ray.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Impulse bought the UHDs of Evil Dead and Halloween today. Haven't seen either in over 10 years and I'm just blown away by the clarity . Especially Halloween, that is one crisp transfer.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you collect 3D Blu Rays and have a Big Lots near you I noticed they have about 10 titles for $5 each. All Dreamworks animated movies.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Can't believe i upgraded my RotLD 3 DVD for 18 seconds of gore, but it was worth it. This is my first Vestron release as well.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

They're not just ugly, stupid, and unrelated to the themes or aesthetic of the films but they are straight up using cultural appropriation to sell some crap at Best Buy.
That's leftover stock from last year, when sugar skulls were super hot. Every retailer had sugar skull everything.

This year's VHS case style is awesome though. I'll grab a pic of a few when I get a chance.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

I don’t know...Mill Creek. Do these releases look ok? They’re not actually vhs transfers like they do for those 100-movie sets, right?

The only one I bought was Krull. It's barebones, but it was only $7.50. I haven't had time to watch it yet but blu-ray.com praised it and said it was one of Mill Creek's best efforts.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've found Black Friday to be the best time to get a new player and deals on movies.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

Whenever I've done Black Friday shopping I've bought random movies I wouldn't otherwise get such as Woochi: The Demon Slayer.

Haha I bought the same disc last year

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

People are so sensitive these days, we're almost at the point where owning Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure makes you a homophobe.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

ultraviolence123 posted:

Someone posted a link to Techmoan's youtube channel a few months ago and now I'm addicted to his videos. Old electronics are my jam, and I enjoy watching him take things apart and fix what's wrong, show off some crazy old video format, or just show me some weird vertical turntable that I will never be able to justify purchasing. Are there any channels similar to this?

I binged all of his videos last month, probably from a link in this thread too.

In one of Techmoan's videos he links to EEVblog, that guy is worth checking out too. He breaks down electronics and is enthusiastic as gently caress.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not sure if this has come up, but Dollar Tree has gotten a bunch of DVD/BD in their stores recently..

Mileage may vary, but on Blu-Ray I found copies of Robocop (original and remake) and on DVD Seasons 1 of Miami Vice and S1/2 of NBCs Wings and the Wilfred (US Remake) TV series.

Recently I found BDs of Dog Soldiers, Tekken 2 and Ninja there.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Watched Die Hard on UHD and loved it. I haven't seen the Blu ray so I don't know how the picture quality compares but I was blown away by the increased resolution and since the whole movie takes place at night the rich blacks (from HDR?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

mallratcal posted:

I'm currently using a couple of these shelves for my Blus.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxsteel-Steel-Shelving-BluRay-Silver/dp/B000A0FXCK

Though I'm going to do the unthinkable and move to Discsox for my DVDs. They just take up too much room.

Someone gave this a negative review because they have to drill a hole into thier drywall to anchor it. How else would you anchor it? Lol