Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Shout is also doing a 4k restoration of The Jerk, which has me salivating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Looks like I got my 4k BD player just in time. That VS sale is great, with the Rudy Ray Moore boxset the absolute highlight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the heads up on Big Lots. There's one a couple minutes from me. Picked up 3 4k discs for $10 a piece. I actually had a $10 coupon, so it was 3 movies for $20.

I guess they're having some sale this weekend with 20% anything in the store. I may poke through the bins again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dumb new collector question.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cl...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Will this play on my no frills Sony UHD player (I'm in the US)? From what I can see, this set is from Australia. I know blu-rays are region locked, but from what I read UHD's aren't region locked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the heads up on that Criterion Flash sale. Picked up a few Scorsese flicks in 4k.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Angel is an exploitation classic. I didn't get that VS disc but if they drop a 4k version I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Big Mac posted:

Waited too long to bite the bullet on that Twilight Zone set - wanted to hear back if my dad had a Blu-ray player. Should've just ordered and kept it for myself if he didn't.

I picked it up a few weeks ago for a little bit more than the current price. No regrets. I'm currently waiting for the Miami Vice BD set to come down in price. it's about 50 now, with a low of ~28.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah that's a day one preorder.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My Black Friday VS order came in. Can't wait to check out Redneck Zombies and the Lost Picture show collection.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

RIP the real video stores it loving destroyed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I picked up something long overdue, the Miami Vice BD box set. I think it's going out of print since it's only available from 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I figured I better get it now before it's too late.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The first release under VS' Cinématographe sub-label is 1980's Little Darlings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZgwXFJSQ90

It's a pretty good flick. It was discussed on Quentin Tarantino's podcast so I had to check it out earlier last year.

https://videoarchivespodcast.com/episodes/busting-little-darlings-julia

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Wait, Suncoast still exists...at all?

I had to check. There’s 3 of them left in the US. It was absorbed by FYE, which is also dying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rolling Thunder loving rules and that’s a definite preorder for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I got the Criterion Channel Razzie thing confused with their disc releases. For a moment I was the happiest person alive thinking they were going to give Freddy Got Fingered the Criterion treatment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Darkman 4k arrived today. Can't wait to rewatch that.

Also my MVD Joysticks came in. The alternate cover is pretty cool, made to look like an Atari cart.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Got one myself, ended up getting Videodrome

I picked that up around Black Friday. It's a neat looking box and stuff.

I ended up going with Shaft, Blood Simple, and The Heroic Trio / Executioners. I have to set a limit for myself otherwise spend way too loving much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

micpp posted:

I've seen reports of this happening to lots of people - I suspect it is some sort of stuffup on Arrow's part, it's too early to know anything but fingers crossed they can like idk uncancel them?

What in the actual gently caress. I woke up to see 3 Arrow items cancelled.

Basket Case limited edition 4k (that I preordered back in January)
Dune 1984 4k and Robocop 4k that I ordered during their Valentine's Day sale.

I kinda understand the items from that sale being canceled, but how the gently caress do you do that on a PREORDER. You're supposed to manufacture enough to cover preorders. Really leaves a sour taste in my mouth for ordering stuff direct from them.

edit: But I can still pre-order Basket Case again. What the hell.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 1, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hell yeah ordered that poo poo before they fix it (assuming its an error)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

All I can find is a DVD release but Chasing 3000 isn't half bad. It's a Ray Liotta flick about some brothers that drive across the country to see Roberto Clemente get his 3000th hit. Everyone's wearing 70's Pirates swag, which is loving dope, so it's worth checking out for that. I suppose it pairs well with Million Dollar Arm.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wild that there's only one baseball movie in the 60's and it's a musical starring actual baseball players.

Also on that list is Major League 3. It's a bad movie, but it stars a basically unknown Walton Goggins and Kenny Johnson who would both end up as co-stars on The Shield.

Not a movie, but Ken Burns Baseball is always a good watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

drat that Fantasia set looks loving sick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I might be late to the party but I didn't realize Arrow has a big sale right now. Picked up that 14 movie HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS and preordered American Gigolo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone know what the VS Votes thing actually gets you? I ordered it because of course I did. Apparently there's more info coming on 4/20 (LOL)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I'm assuming another exclusive slip you can only get with the VS Votes purchase that you probably won't see until after Black Friday.

There's also apparently 10 Fatal Games slips that have all expense paid trips to VS Headquarters that no one's claimed 'cause no one's scratching them (including me :lol: )

Ah. I didn't know this was a re-occuring bit. So the Fatal Games scratch-off slip case was from 4/23.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shout just put a Matinee UHD up for a June release. Not sure if I should upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Is MVD good?

I bought Joysticks from them (off Amazon). Apparently that release had a huge audio issue. MVD had retailers pull their stock and told customers to return them, so I did. They're re-releasing it in a few months.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I think it's a solid choice for Criterion. Cruise is for all intents and purposes the last movie star and that was the movie that made him a star.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're looking for Andor, check out Walmart. It's like 10 bucks cheaper and available now. I'm picking mine up tomorrow after work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I finally got my copy of "Hey Folks! It's the Intermission Time Video Party!" from VS and holy poo poo this stuff is crack for my brain. I want this straight up injected into it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I realized my Walter Hill knowledge isn’t very deep so I got drunk last night and ordered the Southern Comfort 4k from vinegar syndrome.

His early works are really loving good.