Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is that reason enough to believe Disney will release a UHD of rogue one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hey guys, this is the best place I could think of to ask about speaker settings. I know very very little about the sound side of things and was hoping to get ideas. I have an LG TV with a soundbar as well, in a pretty normal sized living room (TV is maybe 8ft away from couch).

Are there any rules for keeping a good balance of things like treble and bass? I have a preset on it now that sounds good, but only just turned up the bass a little and it adds great definition. I have a few other settings I'm not sure about like WF but again, no idea what I'm doing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Guys what's a good option for looney tunes? I don't think it's streaming anywhere and I'm trying to track down some classic stuff (preferably on Blu ray).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm a little confused about DV, will uhd discs still look awesome on a 4k set with hdr10? Or is it like missing a piece of the puzzle?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thankfully the only one I care about is princess mononoke and I got the jp blu a while back, I'm pretty sure that had both tracks.

Also, is blade runner 49 pretty bad on uhd? That was one I was looking forward to picking up when I get a player.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

Cliffhanger was the first R rated movie I ever saw and I still consider it peak action. The plane heist scene is one of the best action sequences ever put on film, and I believe the most expensive stunt ever recorded at the time. Don’t hesitate on the UHD, the helicopter shots look stunning and the atmos works really well.

https://youtu.be/DG4xvwugrGY

This guy talks about it a little around the 2:45 mark. They paid the stunt guy a million for it. Even though he didn't quite pull it off, he still managed to get out of danger and parachute safely down.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I bought the original Sailor Moon anime on bluray, which is now my most absurd physical purchase, since each half season was between $35-$45. There are 5 seasons of it.

As a comparison, I got the complete Steven Universe, which is sadly DVD only, but was only $70 for the whole thing.

I used to have fullmetal alchemist brotherhood on blu-ray but I sold it when I needed money. Now I'm looking for it again because I want a better quality than streaming and of course it's insanely expensive or out of region.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just a reminder ps5 UHD doesn't have dolby vision. I'm going to end up getting a digital only console and a separate player.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I have an LG UHD player, and no complaints here :shrug:

Which one by the by? I'm debating between the Sony and LG player (I have an LG TV).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I find the setup for great audio too tedious and therefore just use a sound bar. Once I settle into a home this year maybe I'll try setting it up but I've no idea what I'm doing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I remember the first time a friend showed me the big heist scene on VHS or DVD (it was the late 90s/early 00s). I hadn't seen the movie yet and I flipped out when people started firing off their guns and it sounded different from every action movie gun I'd heard before.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I remember going from my childhood VHS to the DVD and being floored at the "oh poo poo" line being added back in. Love that movie, might need to track down the blu ray myself.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

High fidelity taught me auto-biographical is the superior organization strategy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

IUG posted:

I'd shamefully buy those for the Rifftrax. I've watched those stupid movies too many times.

"Still peeing!"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

At my peak I think I had something like 400 movies and a couple TV sets. After moving a few times and ultimately realizing I don't watch them as much anymore, I dumped a large chunk of my collection. Probably down to 50 now, and it's a mix of stuff that's out of print/hard to fjnd online, and stuff I really love.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

John Romero posted:

the man is dead. Decapitated by a rogue laserdisc

I think there's a Dolph Lundgren movie about this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

When I was a kid it was on encore or showtime a lot (94 maybe?) and it was awesome

Edit: forgot I had questions! Goons, I need a monoprice link to some good hdmi cables for a new oled TV along with stuff like a 4k player and game console.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

dorium posted:

you can find HDMI 2.1 cables just fine on amazon as well. I recently bought a whole bundle for $22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NXV3ZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

use them on my OLED with my 4K player, no issues.

This is a great deal, thanks! And is the Sony ubpx 700 still a decent player or is it worth going extra for the 800?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Do all the Sony uhd players require manually turning on dolby vision for content? I'm going between the 700/800 and just splurging for the Panasonic ub820.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Working for me, finally get to look at what's good for showing off a new TV and player! I've already got spiderverse and godzilla '14, 1917 is in the cart and shining is on the way!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I know this sounds obvious, but should I only turn on dolby vision for discs that have it? Referring to the Sony player that needs a manual input for DV, I'm wondering if it's beneficial to other movies in any way.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Bit late but I find stranger things to be a fun show. My biggest problem however, is they keep growing the cast and have trouble accommodating it. So they do things like split the core group for most of season 3, and the development feels thin. I read season 4 will have like 3 or 4 new characters and I'm just like "how do you plan to write for this many people?"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Are all the mission impossible movies in dolby vision? The DV list shows just the latest one, while the box set has a broad listing and Blu-ray.com mentions all six as having it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

The only other bit of info I could find said that preorders start the 24th, which seems to make more sense.

At any rate I’ve got Shout Factory loaded up ready to :f5:

Having just found a kup and hot rod figure last week (my favorites from the movie) I'm very happy to hear this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-transformers-the-movie-35th-anniversary-limited-edition-steelbook?product_id=7636

I skipped the old blu release so it'll be a nice upgrade to my DVD.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That's a huge improvement but I still have zero desire to revisit the sequel trilogy. And that's coming from a guy who just rewatched both ewok movies a month ago.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

dorium posted:

I didn’t even know Hong Kong Rescue was a thing. Immediately ordering Hard Boiled and The Killer next payday.

I've got a double feature disc with both, but I'm definitely looking at this. These are such fun movies, would be nice to get some good quality versions (and others like better tomorrow) since I can't seem to find any streaming options.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

What was the final verdict on Hong Kong Rescue? Good but maybe not great? I have a double feature blu of killer and hard Boiled, but I'm looking for HD versions of the better tomorrow movies and wondering if it's worth it(when they're available).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Got a notice from the camel app, fury road 4k dropped to $18 on Amazon if anyone still needs it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Maybe they took 3 out and put 6 in, I can live with that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

6 is worth solely for Christopher Plummer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Don’t both of the new consoles lack Dolby Vision support for uhd? To me it seems silly to buy movies at a premium on a new format just to watch with a player that doesn’t support all its features.

This is why I went with a player and decided on a digital only ps5 (whenever I can get my hands on one).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Don't suppose we're likely to see a 4k release of Munich anytime soon? I remember it took til 2015 for a BR release, just saw it in my stack and would love to see that updated.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does no one remember the rock got a criterion release?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

My 4K of Transformers the Movie arrived today

Nice, I'm excited to sit down with it. Used to watch it all the time with my friend.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hot dog! Transformers uhd showed up this morning, the print is bigger than I expected. Can't wait to check this out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is that Thing box set available somewhere or just speculation? I've got the 4k ordered on Amazon but I'd throw down on that version if I could.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

drat I don't want to wait for a US release on that thing collector's box but I do want it in 4k asap. The dilemma...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Interstellar is currently at its lowest on Amazon, just shy of $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Did anyone's Amazon order for the thing change to "unknown" for a shipping date? It was listed as Sept 7 but they changed it to a tbd even though the product page still lists the original date.