Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Conan commentary is amazing.

Every time the director describes any part of the production, Arnold chimes in with "I know" like it was for his benefit. It's a good drinking game.

WOHW I GHET LAID A LOT IN DIS MOVIE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thanks to this thread, I ended up grabbing The Crazies, Maniac Cop, Frankenhooker, Dead End Drive In, Bride of Re-Animator and Contamination from the Arrow sale. This is going to lead to me buying a region-free player and some difficult revamping of our household budgeting.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, I re-watched New Nightmare a while ago and loving hell, what a slog to get through. It definitely gets praised for what it’s trying to achieve, rather than how successful it is in doing so.

Also, was 4 the one with the guy screeching and flailing about while fighting an “invisible” Freddy? Good lord, that poo poo was stupid.

You have to give Craven credit for trying to redefine what the Nightmare series was at a time when horror - especially with slashers - was running on fumes. Unfortunately, rather than streamline it back down to the core concept and jettison the ridiculous mythology, he decided Freddy just needed a NEW ridiculous mythology.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Shannon Elizabeth is a strange case. I mean after the success of American Pie, it looked like she was going to become the next big "it girl."

I guess 9/11 happened?

These days I just assume that any actress who was big for a while and then disappeared suddenly refused some handsy pervert.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean Funko is really just Precious Moments for the present day. There's always been stylized figs or art that your aunt or mom or whatever can put on their shelf. Just somebody figured out to include nerds. It's Thomas Kinkade level.

https://www.hamiltoncollection.com/products/907045001_precious-moments-star-trek-figurine-set.html

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Some codes for anyone who wants them. Please reply if you grab any of these.

Grabbed Alien: Covenant, thanks!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

No one said "Star Wars" yet because it's too obvious, right?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I want to believe that the reason there hasn't been a third Crank movie yet is because Glenn Howerton is too busy to sign on.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I just blind-bought ‘Roar’ on Blu-ray, did I make a good decision? :ohdear:

Do you like watching people being knocked the gently caress off their feet by big cats? If so, I have good news for you.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Some of the poo poo they do to Melanie Griffith in that movie accidentally puts her on-par with Jackie Chan as a stunt performer.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Monday_ posted:

No MST3K commentary track = no purchase.

They chopped the hell out of the movie, to the point where MST3K the Movie is significantly shorter than This Island Earth even with the host segments. Plus a good portion of the commentary is of the credits for the MST3K movie itself. The good news is that Shout already put MST3K the Movie on blu.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

are Arrow releases usually region free? I need that Bava set

Sometimes but not often enough. That Bava set appears to be UK-only.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Is there an Abbot and Costello set with just the ones where they meet monsters?

DVD only, but yeah.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR3W3M8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_p3btDbQSFPBRN

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That RoboCop will make a septuple-dip for me. I regret nothing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

These weirdos are the ones keeping the world from going full streaming and we should be thanking them for it. From a distance, of course.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Now I have no way of knowing what the movie with the huge-rear end pentagram on the cover is about.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

The new Robocop disc from Arrow has a few things that sold me on picking it up (along with the Amazon price):

· Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)

· Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director s Cuts

· RoboCop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements

The TV version is what sold me on septuple-dipping with the Arrow disc. I taped RoboCop off TV as a kid and watched it a million times.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

You're gonna be one bad mother crusher!

“I’m going to shove this factory so far up your stupid nose, you’ll blow snow for a year.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

Are there any Region-A friendly releases from Arrow that are worth checking out? I was planning on picking up Kill Baby Kill and Pulse from them.

Dead-End Drive-In is a lot of fun, as is Bride of Re-Animator.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I just went on the blu-ray.com forums to see if anyone knew whether or not the b&w version was getting a US video release. I didn't find that, but I did find a whole lot of dipshit takes on poverty. I think I know where everyone from the IMDB forums ended up after they shut that down. How the gently caress do you miss the point of the movie that badly and still want to buy a copy of it?

Those are the people who have to have both the Best Buy AND Target exclusive steelbooks of Doctor Strange, so there’s your answer.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

F&F 1: We gotta stop Toretto, he’s stealing those VCRs!

F&F 9: We gotta stop Toretto, he’s stealing that nuclear submarine under mind control by nanomachines!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ringu0 posted:

No complaints about a giant (and beautiful) book that is a new Criterion's Godzilla release?

I was a little annoyed that I didn’t realize how gigantic it was until it arrived at my house. But it is very appropriate and works as a coffee table book.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Streaming services will go to war over the rights for popular sitcoms. I wouldn't be shocked if studios were intentionally withholding releasing series on physical media to boost their value to Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

The Office was a decent sitcom, or at the first couple seasons were. I didn't really pay attention to it after that. Why people want to watch all the way through it over and over again like it's the loving Bible is something I'll never understand.

Because it's soothing, nonthreatening and comes in easily consumable chunks that also lend themselves well to bingeing. Even shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld that are held up as "anti-sitcoms" have a rhythm to them that people can easily settle into. It's something to keep you company while you fold laundry.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

One of the most baffling things about Disney’s Star Wars home video releases is how they decided that the original movie should be associated with the color magenta:

The menu for the new box set version apparently uses this scheme. There’s nothing close to this in the color pallatte of the entire movie and it bothers me a lot.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Quick guess 'cause I gotta leave work in a second here:

Phantom of the Paradise (no-brainer)
Chopping Mall
Child's Play 2

and if you mean four additional ones (rather than four total)... gently caress. Let's say It's Alive III: Island of the Alive.

Terrorvision!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I know Arrow's site sometimes lists discs as region-locked when they're not. Is there a reliable resource as to which ones of theirs will work in Region A?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CRAYON posted:

Only way i know is to go to blu-ray.com and change the search region to UK, search for the movie title and click the Arrow release. On the title's page there will be a tab for region coding where user's can submit playback results. Sometimes the information will be wrong and there may even be multiple conflicting submissions. Fun!

It's made me skip out on the last few Arrow sales because i just cant be bothered. Arrow, add this information to your damned site!

Bah.

CPL593H posted:

I hate to piss on the parade but international shipping is shut down right now so if you're not in the UK you're poo poo out of luck.

Bah!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Spinal Tap commentary essentially functions as a sequel to the movie, it’s great.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Even the menu for the old DVD is great. As soon as you put it on you can just hear them having a conversation about the menu with Nigel reading the options and being completely confused by the concept of a DVD.

“Ooh, black.”
“It’s like space without the stars.”
“Ah, that’s beautiful, mate.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

● Audio commentary with Brian Blessed

:eyepop:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The most charitable reading I can give what Joe Bob has written about the alt-right/Neo Nazis is that he doesn’t see them as worth getting upset over. He’s looking at them as this tiny little collection of mutants whose ideas are so self-evidently wrong and outmoded that the “marketplace of ideas” should have no problem regulating them on its own. This squares with his defense of writing for Taki’s being that “magazines are a buffet, not a hospital menu” or whatever. In his mind, Nazis already lost the war and shouting them down is actually worse than giving their ideas a chance to gain traction because it’s an overreaction.

That’s all a bad way of looking at the current situation, of course, but at least it’s different than being 100 percent on the Nazis’ side. And again, this is just my interpretation of what he’s said and I could be squinting too hard to feel better about it. I’ve always been a fan of his reviews and MonsterVision and all that, so it’s been tough to see all of this.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Svengoolie is hands down the best horror host still in the game, and he should definitely get more recognition, he’s been showing some stone cold classics on MeTV.

Svengoolie is great, but I feel like the show has sort of become a victim of its own success now that he can show more “classic” movies. It’s great that he can finally show the original Dracula in HD, but I miss the days when the movie was a garbage print of “Octaman.” I’m sure Koz doesn’t, though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just want to know how Disney came to the decision that the original Star Wars’ cover art should be dominated by magenta. That’s not a color I associate with that movie’s palette.

I feel Iike I’ve complained about this in this thread before.

Edit: And I have.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Heads-up for anyone interested, the Flash Gordon UHD is up for preorder at Amazon for $20, marked down from $50. There are multiple listings for the same thing at various price points, so no clue what’s going on there.

Flash Gordon [4K Ultra HD / UHD] [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CQCDK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g9t2Eb7FM65BK

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Shows as $60 when I try to find it in the Amazon app. :confused:

Even from the link I posted? Something must be messed up, but fingers crossed they honor the pre-order price guarantee (note: this has never worked for me).

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

My favorite this about this is that it's autographed by the co-creator of Swamp Thing.

Ah yes, Phil Chalk.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That chalk doesn’t even look like the same kind Baldwin used in the movie smdh.

That’s some chunky-rear end chalk, not this schoolmarm Crayola bullshit they’re trying to hustle us with.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care how much they're worth I burn every slipcover I get out of spite.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

You can’t overspend on blu-rays when the only thing you ever buy is every release of the Friday the 13th series.

Guypointingtohishead.jpg