Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It still blows my loving mind that Blu-Ray has been a format for literally 12 years now and there are people who don't know what it is/still haven't upgraded to a Blu-Ray player/still buy DVDs.

Like, I understand old people not being able to tell the difference between SD and HD (their eyes are loving broken), but still. Blu-Ray players are cheap as gently caress. Blu-Rays themselves are cheap as gently caress. You can probably get a standalone Blu-Ray player and a couple of your favorite movies on Blu-Ray for $50 or maybe a little more than that. You don't need an expensive game console to play them or anything like that.

If you're still buying physical media in 2018, it makes no sense to buy a movie on DVD over Blu-Ray at this point, but people are still doing it :psyduck:

I was asking about jumping on the UHD bandwagon recently in the last thread, and with the adoption rate of Blu-Ray, it makes sense why UHD would take forever to catch on.

Are there TVs being sold with built-in Blu-Ray players like those older TVs with built-in DVD players?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harmy's Despecialized Editions are the only worthwhile versions of the Star Wars original trilogy released in the past 20+ years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

I have the unaltered "faces" tapes with the Leonard Maltin/Lucas interviews. Got it for Christmas probably in 1995. They're a but chewed up after many many watchings.
Same, except mine aren't chewed up.

Well, so I had those from the time they were released until 2005 when Hurricane Katrina washed them away. They were probably showing some wear even before the hurricane because of how many goddamn times I watched those tapes. But a few years ago, I found that exact set at a thrift store for $6 and they were in loving mint condition. It was unreal. I bought them instantly, of course, and also bought a VCR at the same thrift store because I didn't own any method of watching VHS tapes between Hurricane Katrina and then, only DVD players and Blu-Ray players.

Those tapes are the only reason I own a VCR, except now that I have the Despecialized versions which are higher quality and more easily accessible, I don't even watch the tapes anymore and the VCR stays in my closet, though you bet your rear end I'm never getting rid of them considering the availability of the OT.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Updated package art for the 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD:
https://www.wbshop.com/products/2001-a-space-odyssey-4k-uhd?AID=11248029&PID=5147715&ref=CJP

Looks like they're including the remaster/restoration on Blu-ray since the box art shows two Blu-ray discs in addition to the UHD. The existing edition has everything on one disc. The WBShop listing indicates all the previous edition extras are present, plus photo cards and a booklet.
Can't wait to buy this for the regular Blu-Ray!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

The Digital Bits posted that the new restoration is also being released on Blu-ray for $20 MSRP.

Also, TDB reports the UHD is from the 65mm camera negative, is both HDR and Dolby Vision, and will include both the original 6-track mix and a new remix in DTS-HD MA 5.1
Hell yeah :cool:

I don't have a UHD player yet, so that's my option.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daniel Bryan posted:

oh yeah baby

I like how they didn't bother to remove the lovely filter over the poster

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

The video format that took the world by storm!
When I was in high school, there was this one rich kid I knew that got a PSP like the day they came out and he got every UMD movie that was released for whatever reason. I think he honestly believed they were the future of physical media or some poo poo. Anyway, so there was this after school program for kids whose parents couldn't pick them up until later, and I was there with him a few times. He was always watching a UMD movie and bragging about it, no matter how lovely the movie was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheScott2K posted:

How dare you
What good games did the PSP have? Lumines and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and what else?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Just pre-ordered my first UHD - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don't even have a player yet, but I have until October.
I don't have a player yet either, but I'm at least gonna buy it for the BR even if I can't play the UHD version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

Also, Step Brothers in 4k. Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I almost never buy movies on Blu-Ray anymore, but I saw Mandy in theaters earlier and it absolutely deserves to be one I make an exception for. Goddamn, that movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thanks to all the discussion of all the different versions of the OT in here, I finally checked out 4K77. I've been a diehard fan of Harmy's Despecialized editions for a few years now, but I've been hearing buzz about 4K77 for a while.

I did a bunch of back to back comparisons between the latest version (2.7) of the Despecialized A New Hope and 4K77. 4K77 is undeniably sharper. I think I like the color grading of the Despecialized version more, but the picture seems kinda muddy in comparison to 4K77. I think 4K77 is the definitive way I'll be watching one of my all-time favorite movies from now on.

I absolutely love restorations like this. For a while I was watching my "faces" VHS collection and appreciating that I had that available to me, then I switched over to the Despecialized editions a few years ago and was blown away and appreciated that I had that available to me, and now 4K77 comes along and blows me away again.

It's like the recent Beatles albums that have been remixed by Giles Martin. I've been listening to the original versions of those albums literally since my first few years on this Earth, but those songs have never sounded better to me than they do now that these versions of them are available.

I appreciate the efforts of people like Giles Martin and Harmy and Team Negative so loving much because these things have been near and dear to my heart for as long as I can remember and somehow those folks are able to keep making decades-old material sound and look better and better all the time. It's like magic.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Harmy is doing new versions using the 4k stuff as a base now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

While I was doing comparisons between the two, I was wishing for the existence of a version of 4K77 with the coloring of Harmy's version.

That's fantastic to hear!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spatulater bro! posted:

A Cure for Wellness is 3.99 on Amazon. Worth a blind buy at that price?
Absolutely. One of my favorite movies of last year and the kind of movie that doesn't really get made anymore. I don't think many people saw it but it's a loving gorgeous head trip that deserved to have a wider audience than it did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, the 4K one that’s going around is supposed to be somewhat sharper, but that one is a direct scan of a print rather than an insane rebuild from multiple sources (if people haven’t seen the clip on YouTube, search ‘harmy despecialized’ and there’s a 20min or so clip showing just how bonkers the project is). I know the 4K one came out without DNR, and is apparently pretty grainy due to this, and they’re working on cleaning it up. Sounds like they’re taking their time to do it properly, so might come out looking really nice.

I have what I think is the most recent Harmy versions of New Hope and Empire, and both look good to my eyes on a 65” OLED.
I got the DNRed version of 4K77 and it looks loving fantastic. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that future versions of Harmy's Despecialized are going to work from the 4K print, so hopefully those will have his color grading and such that I like so much from his releases.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vagabundo posted:

So I finally got my hands on my copy of the Batman: TAS set. So here are some photos.

Sexy, sexy exterior shots

Front

Spine

Back

You can see glossy watermarks of Batman, Joker, Penguin, Mr Freeze, Robin and Catman

That's Harley Quinn, Kung-fu Alfred, Two-Face, Jim Gordon and Scarecrow on the back

The discs are in a booklet. Here's the Tumbler helping out.

The inside has artwork like this.

It comes with Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

That's dooooooooooope :swoon:

I just saw a 25th anniversary screening of Mask of the Phantasm in a theater like last week. It holds up!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a fan edit of The Matrix that restores the original color grading like the fan edits of the Star Wars original trilogy? Or would there not be a higher quality source to work from?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, just lmao at anyone who would bother defending Birth of a Nation in 2018

Sure it's part of film history, but so is a ton of other reprehensible poo poo. It's trash and you're trash if you enjoy it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

If Birth of a Nation only has a legitimate reason to be viewed/owned by racists, anime is purely for pedophiles

E: come at me, mods
I mean...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, 4K already seems like more than enough quality. Honestly, why keep going up from there? The difference has gotta be imperceptible to the human eye, and if 4K Blu-Rays aren't flying out the door, why would 8K?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Remember when Microsoft released that add-on HD-DVD player for Xbox 360? lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Butterfly Effect isn't a good movie either way but the director's cut changes the ending so that Ashton Kutcher's character time travels back to when he was in the womb and strangles himself with the umbilical cord so he's never born, undoing the events of the movie lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna go see Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary in theaters in a few days but I'm not going to pretend like every movie he's made in the last 15 years hasn't been poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's a saying - writing is editing. And I imagine the same is true for movies. You can always add more, the secret is to know what to take away. The Hobbit is just bloated.
They should've taken away all of it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steen71 posted:

Pfff!

And there's another bookcase and a half.
*Jeff Foxworthy voice* Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a hoarder

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Steam Link I got for $2 on Black Friday came with an HDMI cable and an Ethernet cable! Not sure what those retailed for before they were heavily discounted, though. I'm pretty sure they were always under $100.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

I've got this baby hanging over my toilet. It's a mood.
Whennnnnnnnnnnnn pissssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, evvvvvvvvvvvvveryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyythiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

House with a Clock in its Walls was pretty fun. Yeah, he directed that.
No it wasn't. Did you see a different movie than I did? lol

It completely wasted Kyle MacLachlan, among many other problems.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

The disc binder was funny but now I'm triggered. I'm dry heaving in the corner while everyone stares at me.
Same. My OCD can't handle that at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Just put them in alphabetical order and put the sequels to things behind the first movies of the series, you lunatics.
:emptyquote:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:raise:

Is this a sign of the market dying? They're not even just quitting selling Blu-Rays here, they're quitting selling Blu-Ray and UHD players here. 2 formats dying at once seems crazy, but simultaneously it makes a lot of sense. After streaming services got super popular, it was only a matter of time.

The article does say this, though:

quote:

That said, other tech giants appear to be committed to Blu-ray. Both Sony and Panasonic showed off high-end players at CES, so Samsung's exit doesn't necessarily portend the end of your home theater.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Side note: Netflix streaming's library is total garbage.
It's real hit or miss. Sometimes they'll have titles on there that are legitimately great, but you might have to go digging for them because there's a lot of trash on there too. And unfortunately it's not stable, with titles frequently getting removed and swapped out for different ones.

There's also good content on HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. But with the way things work, there is no one streaming service that lets you watch everything and that blows.

Amassing a giant Blu-Ray collection is pretty much the only way to get close to having everything you want to watch at your disposal, but even then, a lot of titles have never been released on Blu-Ray so you'd still have an incomplete collection no matter how much you spent on it.

It's not like DVD where literally everything was released on that format.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheScott2K posted:

And yet, no UHD Blu-ray on any PS4 hardware
Yeah, UHD came out before the PS4 Pro did but Sony didn't swap the Blu-Ray drive out for a UHD one. But then the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X both have UHD drives :thunk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I have an Xbox One S and if it has a UHD drive that's news to me.
It sure does! I was considering getting one for a while because it's a fairly inexpensive UHD player, plus I could play a few Xbox exclusives on it too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Some people are poor.

I don't find that to be the case at least with what I have and even with this TV the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable.
I'm poor too so I have no room to talk, but you can get a 40-50 inch 4K TV for the same price as an Xbox One S nowadays :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure most broadcast tv isn't even in 1080p anyway. There's still no excuse for watching the Big Bang Theory, but that's a whole other problem.
Yeah, broadcast TV tops out at 1080i, but who gives a poo poo about broadcast TV anymore? :v:

I mean I watch a couple shows as they air on TV, but most of the content I consume is through streaming services that go up to 4K.

Even watching series airing on broadcast TV through their websites/apps with your cable login is better than watching them through a set top box because at least that way you can see them in 1080p (or maybe even 4K in some cases?).

The 1080i thing is just an old standard that nobody ever bothered to upgrade.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

following the chat of physical media dying, here is one of 2019's best reasons to go region-free if you're stuck in the USA:

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1098386021312593921

It has a physical blu-ray release in the UK and will in other regions, apparently. Just not stateside. Although I could see Criterion picking it up eventually.

Has anyone heard any news on whether Roma is going to have a physical release?
I was stoked that this was coming to Prime in March because it had never come to theaters here. Then I saw that it starts playing in theaters here on Friday and grabbed a ticket :dance:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Jack White and Alicia Keys one for Quantum of Solace was pretty bad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqmEHsoUot8

When I first heard Jack White was doing the theme for this one, I got excited because I've loved Jack White for like 15+ years. Then I heard it and...yikes

The fuzzy guitar is exciting, but nothing else about it is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

...was this even good? I saw it once and I remember it absolutely ping-ponging between effective waking nightmare and the shittiest trash that ever did garbage.
It's the best video game movie that's ever been made, and I thought it was pretty loving creepy throughout. The second one was for sure garbage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

That's funny because this doesn't look like Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. is weird as hell and fun as a curiosity, but I would in no way call it a good video game movie haha