Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask but for someone looking to get a blu-ray player, are there any recommendations? I’m kind of getting sick of playing hide and seek with figuring out which streaming service has certain movies and when and for how long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For a horror fan just starting in on getting into physical, what does everyone consider essential 4K UHD horror movie blu-rays?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Watched The Shining today in 4K with surround sound and despite being one of if not my favorite movie ever it’s like watching it for the first time. Now I’ve ordered a load of horror movies in UHD suggested earlier in the thread. Gonna be an expensive hobby but it’s totally reinvigorated my love for movies and I wanna watch a least one a week now and start returning to the theater

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Big Bizness posted:

Kubrick films have fortunately been treated very well on the format. Check out 2001 if you haven't already, it's stunning.

The sound track in 5.1 is amazing, especially as Jack starts chopping down the door. The insanity of the strings swirling around you showing he’s completely lost his mind is near overwhelming and put me on edge even though I’ve seen the film a thousand times

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

What he meant is shutting down their in-house distributors and use third parties to print them. All Fox and Disney physical media in Italy is no longer done by them but by Eagle pictures (which isn't the worst local to be honest but not the best either) for instance.

Dies Disney or Fox releases even come out on UHD? I thought they only do basic blu-ray still?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m surprised we’re getting Big Top before Big Adventure but it’s Big Adventure’s 40th anniversary next year so maybe WB can stop being a bunch of stupid shits and finally get us a 4K release

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Big Mac posted:

This Criterion flash sale email showed up literally moments after I saw that my tax return deposited. RIP to all my plans of financial responsibility.

Got one myself, ended up getting Videodrome

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I picked that up around Black Friday. It's a neat looking box and stuff.

I ended up going with Shaft, Blood Simple, and The Heroic Trio / Executioners. I have to set a limit for myself otherwise spend way too loving much.

I already bought the Evil Dead Groovy edition, steelbook Army of Darkness, the Evil Dead remake UHD, and Evil Dead Rise steelbook this month plus the Color out of Space steelbook and Creepshow steelbook. I probably should’ve resisted this purchase :v:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This just reminds me I really want a 4K release of all of Twin Peaks

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, I started in on 4K blu-rays partly because the streaming services were not showing the best picture but the biggest reason, honestly, was because of the enshitification of streaming services. More money, worse image quality, poorer audio, ads in the middle of movies unless I pay even more each month. Then there’s the issue of having to constantly juggle monthly subscriptions to keep up with what movies are where and when and in what quality because not all streamers do 4K while being the exclusive place to stream a film. The turning point for me was when I wanted to watch a series of movies, I think it was Halloween I want to say, and I found I had to bounce between three different services because the licenses had all been piecemealed out to various streamers. gently caress that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s conditioning, really. Streaming has been so prevalent for so long people just except worse quality and accept it as the standard. Same with compressed music through streaming over phones compounded with bad Bluetooth lossy compression. It’s been the standard so long people just shrug when you show them it could be better. It’s kinda sad. I think a stand out point of that was seeing Godzilla Minus One with a friend who hadn’t stepped foot in a theater for nearly a decade and they were honestly surprised by how the movie looked good

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Killer Klowns is up at Shout with some insane bundles

Even for films I absolutely love I just can’t get any of these bundles with a bunch of chachkies. It’s just too much junk I’d never really have space for. I did preorder a steelbook edition because steelbooks activate my monkey neurons of my brain, though

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 5, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On a lark I checked the steelbooks at my local Walmart. Got Dune: Chapter 1, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and American Psycho

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really wish we’d get a 4K release of Eyes Without a Face eventually

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What’s funny is, of all places, Wal-Mart seems to be the one who’s figured out there’s demand for in store sanely priced movies. They just set up a big section of steelbook movies and the 4K ones still cost like $20 less than that 4K Barbie in that picture

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve wanted to see it a few times so I might as well buy that. I don’t have a problem, I can stop buying blu-rays anytime I want

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

pwn posted:

If you left Walmart disappointed today, fear not! Go look on eBay right now and you will find dozens of the repackaged Oppenheimers at ~$50 a pop. Very cool dudes who bought them just to flip them.

They should eat rocks.

Still better than when they were sitting at $150 when they were BestBuy exclusive. I’m hoping with Walmart just wanting to make money and not rely on FOMO like Bestbuy, maybe movies can be one piece of entertainment that isn’t scalped to hell like everything else since covid?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So question based on what I’ve seen on other parts of the internet but is it worth to get dividers or sleeves for steelbooks? I figured they’d be the ones most resistant to any damage but the way Redditors talk about them you’d think they’re made of glass?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Steen71 posted:

That leather shirt Gorman is wearing looks pretty uncomfortable. :P

Honest question; how does stuff like this end up happening? Are they just running scans through an AI upscale and not checking the results?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

PinkoBastard posted:

AI for sure but I do think people are checking the work. It’s just that people have developed some kind of actual brain rot where they genuinely think these upscales look good. Which is even worse!

I hate this garbage future

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Now that I’ve seen Aliens in motion it really does have that look of those YouTube videos where someone ads interpolated AI frames to make scenes “better” by being at 60 FPS. Any motion of a character and it feels like there’s some weird slight uncanny valley effect going on, like they’re partly covered up suddenly by a 3D model of themselves because suddenly they lose texture definition

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

James Cameron is your dad who has you setup his TV for movies but the second you finish he sets all the sharpening filters to max and changes the picture to the “vivid” setting

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of poorly done 4Ks, what’s the best version currently of A Clockwork Orange? Last I checked there were some versions that had real bad audio problems?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I've started stopping by Walmart once a week and I'm seeing a pretty steady stream of these steelbooks being stocked. This past Saturday they had some of the Vestron Video ones that I'd never seen before.

Never thought, in 2024, that I’d be saying Walmart is be your best option to walk into to find steel books and less mainstream movie releases but I guess that’s what happens when every other retailer decides to base their business around selling lovely warranty services for crap electronics

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, James Cameron is a known idiot with a melted brain when it comes to this stuff. The only way we’re getting a decent 4K release is if he isn’t allowed to be involved

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well, had my first movie by mail casualty. My steelbook copy of DarkMan came in completely crushed, one side even split from compressing so much. Luckily Shout will replace it but still that’s disappointing

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m going to go to the one by hoping for the Knives Out steel book

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sniep posted:

Checked out my local wal*mart. Nada.

No $5 bin other than just dvds, no blu rays in it. and the steelbooks are definitely not $5, all of them are on an endcap for $30.

Welp;

A one cut of the dead steelbook isn't something I knew I wanted until now

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

But yeah I honestly started buying movies again because of the enshitification of streaming services. The fact this video is all 100% factual at the time of making is insane

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aez5SDxshJc

If this doesn't sell you on the Bruceploitation box set, I don't know what will. Severin's got a vid breaking down the whole thing, too and it looks like a fever dream. :getin:

I was really not looking to drop $135 for this but kung fu Dracula….gently caress

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just started buying physical movies like two months ago and I'm already up to 49 films so :laffo: at never breaking 100, I'm doomed

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I do need to start ripping my blu-rays to make local backups of them in the next few months

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thats the limited edition coming from Arrow, right?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wish I had a video store around me. The last place that sells movies at this point near me is Barnes and Noble

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I live in Rhode Island so I don't get any of that cool kinda poo poo :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got my limited edition copy of The Green Knight in from the A24 shop and the disc in the book is nearly cracked fully in two :sigh: sent an email requesting a replacement disc, never have had that happen before