Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I glanced at the original OP for the previous thread, and feel we should keep this for old times sake

quote:

What kind of Blu-Ray player should you buy?
I can't say this strongly enough: get a Playstation 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MacheteZombie posted:

Or if you're really into the hobby, a region free player for around 140.

I was just joking that that was the most insanely out of date advice ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, hirsute is right. The slip cover is the cardboard outer that covers the plastic amaray case. Most releases don’t have them, and some people get very upset if they order a film that should have one and it doesn’t arrive. They don’t always have the same art, my Suspiria has the original art which I far prefer.

I keep them, but any paper nonsense that’s gummed on a steel case or similar gets trashed.

Also that guide to the boutique labels was neat and appreciated, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if there’ll be a digital service in the future to replace home disc ripping. Delivery overnight as opposed to streaming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rusty Staub posted:

how on earth do you people have this kinda hard drive space

Best Buy do an 8TB western digital external on sale for between $150-170 every so often. It’s a hell of a deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IUG posted:

I did something like this back in the day (but smaller drives, like 2GB). But now I just have a Synology NAS with four 4 TB drives in it.

The Best Buy drives used to have WD Reds inside them which were easy to shuck (take apart and remove the bare drive) which are ideal for NAS and a good chunk cheaper than buying the drive on its own. An absolute win. They’re now usually Whites and seem good enough still. I just run them in their enclosures for now, but a future 4x 8TB NAS is tempting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s where I am. Relying on WiFi between server and client and the signal quality is fine for Blu-ray remuxes, but not quiiiiiite there for the 4K stuff that causes buffering here and there. Plan to run cable through the ceiling between the rooms at some point, but it’s not the most pressing thing in life. I’ll deal with the wife’s occasional grumbles until then

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

viral spiral posted:

I'd imagine they're going to be worth something in 20 years.

Probably not, they were produced in seriously high numbers and in multiple versions. The only media that's ever worth stuff is the stuff that had to go out of print way before demand, or super limited. It's the same as Beatles LPs - people think they're going to be worth serious money, but they were the most successful band on the planet and a ridiculous numbers of their albums were pressed. Find an oddity, and you've got some money.

I had 80s Star Wars VHS tapes I sold about 2 years ago, just from my collection not because I thought they were worth anything. They got more than your average tape, but nothing too exciting. Don't kick yourself over it. The only tapes I see going for serious money is unusual horror stuff, because horror VHS people are batshit insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll admit I was sad that the Sony VCR I owned that was always a trooper (self cleaning, 4 head, stereo beast) had bitten the dust when I tried to put all my TV recorded tapes through it one last time to see if I had any gems before I had to move all my stuff out of my parents. A loooooot of unmarked tapes and pre-recorded ones went out to the tip that day.

I even tried 2 other units that I happened to have in the house, all bust too. Loneliness kills, I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

viral spiral posted:

The BluRay Alien Anthology Collectors version (greenish cover) has been out of print since before Prometheus, and I seriously doubt BluRays will be sold at all in 2040. There will definitely be a niche collector's market for all kinds of BluRays by then I'm sure.

And those Star Wars VHS tapes can go for a fuckload if you find the right buyer. Star Wars fandom for that kind of stuff is insane.

There’s been dozens of Aliens collections in various formats that have gone ‘out of print’ and replaced by others over the years. Virtually nobody cares, and the market isn’t going to suddenly uptick for them in 20 years time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VoodooXT posted:

Unless that Disney buyout comes through and the Alien movies go into the Vault.

Ha, then we’ll have the ‘Disney black diamond tapes are worth a fortune!’ craziness again, when they absolutely weren’t.

E: link for relevance https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-diamond-collection-disney/

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only disc rot example that hit me personally was a Terminator R2 DVD that was infamous for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

The Matrix was mine.

Our DVD player also came with the "Four free DVD's!" voucher. 3/4 of them were "The Stepmom," "Titanic," and "Lost in Space," what number 4 was? :iiam:

I think a pack I was able to claim had Payback, Lethal Weapon 4, Deep Blue Sea, and You’ve Got Mail.

Sixth Sense was the first I watched, but I think my favorite early disc I picked up was Pleasantville. I’m sure VHS wouldn’t have done that film justice, and was glad to see it held up well on a rewatch the other week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve Yun posted:

Blade Runner was letterboxed 2.2:1 inside 4x3 and was so primitive I don’t think it even had a menu, it would just start the movie when you put it in the player. Still happy about getting those two movies to this day.

Feature Lists:
* Interactive Menus

Always loved seeing this on the back of nearly every DVD. It's a selling point from the VHS sure, but 5 years into the format you don't have to show off that I can change the audio settings over a static JPEG of the poster artwork.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

First DVDs I owned were Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Deep Blue Sea (both gifted to us by a family member that had one of those Columbia House things). First actual purchase? As Good as it Gets.

Crouching Tiger was a good sell for the format, as it had enough hype that they had two versions on vhs - one subbed, one dubbed - sitting next to each other. Or you can buy just the one dvd that has both editions so the whole family can enjoy!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve Yun posted:

... just not at the same time

Funnily enough, official VCDs would often contain both Mandarin and Cantonese audio - one in the Left channel, one in the right. If you didn’t know this or you didn’t have a player which could isolate a channel, you got a good blast of two languages being played back at the same time.

FilthyImp posted:

No one enjoyed the dubbed version though

And I hope they learned their lesson.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Detective No. 27 posted:

I worked at GameCrazy, which was connected to Hollywood Video. Since Blockbuster started doing contracts to get exclusive rental rights to certain films, Hollywood Video would send the manager to Best Buy to buy copies of those movies for rent. I'm not sure if they used a company card or were being compensated later though.

The same tapes that explicitly say in the intro text that they’re not to be loaned, rented, or watched on oil rigs? I’m surprised he got away with that.

Don’t know if it was the same in the US, but in the UK a big selling point for DVD at the beginning was that you could buy the discs at the same time the VHS was available to rent. Thought that was neat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

People still watching movies on tape wouldn't be considered hipstery?

It's mainly the horror community, and they're just plain weird rather than hipsters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy poo poo. Needs a Paul Rudd commentary. I’ll always defend this piece of poo poo as it was one of my favorite films growing up, as I must’ve been dumb as poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only saw the incredibles once, but remember feeling quite underwhelmed with the art quality. Not sure much to be gained for this one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Samuel Clemens posted:

I admit that CGI has made some major strides since 2004, but really? The Incredibles still looks great, mostly thanks to the brilliant art style.

It might need a second watch. I remember it being a film everyone raved about, so I went into it a few years ago with excitement and it just felt lacking to me. Never want to go into a Pixar film and it end in disappointment, that’s what Cars is for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha nice, Body Melt. Never gotten around to it, but it’s well known for starring soap actor ‘Harold from Neighbours’ which is enough to sell any Brit/Ozzie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah HK didn’t take care of their film elements at all in the 80s and 90s, it’ll be interesting to see what they can glean from the source.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

I'm starting to see some 2017 4k TV models priced at like $400-$500. Is that legit? I'm going over the specs and they have the right pixel count and HDR, is there another factor here I'm not taking into account? We're talking 50-55 inch range here as far as the size.

I paid $220 for my 49" 2018 4K/HDR Hisense from Walmart. I've not had much time to mess about with it, but from what I've seen the PQ/AQ are perfectly good for the price paid. It's kind of ridiculous what you can get for not much money now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And let’s not forget about HLG!

With zero surprise, a new TV tech has been handled abysmally from the word go. My main TV is HDR10 only, all my gear is based around HDR10 and all UHD specs have to include an HDR10 track at minimum if they want to do HDR. So I’ve just decided to just not care about anything I don’t have.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

Just to bring this back around to high def, I'm watching Freddy's Revenge on the bluray set where they have two films per disc and it looks phenomenal considering they're crammed on.

Looks like that comes in around 15gb for the movie. It’s pretty cool what they can do size wise once the encoding process matures.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember hunting down the German HD versions of The X Files, before they got an official release. I believe someone synced them to the English audio DVDs in the meantime, and it was like watching a whole new show. Any downside to the open matte and dodgy effects was overruled by just how nice it looked compared to the old DVDs.

And yeah, the TBS Seinfeld way of cropping to 16:9 is too much, I'm a bit more used to it now but I'd rather a hi-res scan at the original aspect ratio if it wasn't shot on a film type that can be opened up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zer0spunk posted:

Same for the Simpsons

Yeah, those Simpsons remasters are gross. But sadly, I think I'm getting used to them too. Bleh. Luckily, most of the time I look at whats on FXX, it's an episode from s25 or something anyway so I don't have to worry about actually watching it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, other than sports I don’t think I tune into anything live. Altho sometimes I’ll watch something on a fifteen minute delay or so and then skip the ads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

I don't just sincerely believe that Freddy Got Fingered belongs in the Criterion Collection, but with John Waters movies now being released by them I don't even think it would be that out of place anymore.

Same. What else released around the same time even comes close to what it was doing? I think Waters would also agree.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

The most important news is that Shout! are doing a new release of POPSTAR.

Oh cool, wasn’t the original release a bit barebones for a film that probably had a ton of extra stuff? Such a good film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love that Step Brothers is one of those films that so many people agree is just absolutely great. More mainstream comedies like that, please.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Ringer put up an oral history of Step Brothers the other day, what I saw seemed worth a read. https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/movies/2018/7/10/17540704/step-brothers-oral-history-will-ferrell-john-c-reilly-adam-mckay

And to the poster who hasn’t seen it, if it’s just cos you never got around to it rather than a hatred of Farrell or something then yes. Takes the most silly premise and runs wild with it. Never drags, insanely rewatchable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to get a lot of promo stuff from MVD, they used to mainly distribute things Iike Arrow, Unearthed etc. Seemed a decent bunch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only Critters 2 artwork I've ever seen is the guy holding up the 2.

Yeah that’s the one I mainly know too. The only bit I remember from the movie is the shapeshifted centerfold pulling the staple out of her belly, probably due to me watching it when I was 12 or so. Never saw the other sequels, not sure if I should change that just to see a young DiCaprio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of titles were billingual by simply encoding the analog stereo track with two mono tracks of different languages. This is something laserdisc would later adopt with Criterion's audio commentaries and later splitting up to three tracks when digital audio came into being (digital usually being the original sound, the analog being a split between a commentary and maybe a music-only track).

Years later, official VCD did the same thing with putting Mandarin on one channel, and Cantonese on the other. In the west, the option to isolate one channel was pretty rare on players so these releases were a bit of a nightmare as all we’d hear was a garbled mess. Luckily a lot of TVs had balance controls at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have mental images of one of those YouTube celebrity cons happening, except it features people like TechMoan and we’re all 30 and 40 year old dudes fanboying out. His channel is great, and if you’re new to him there’s so much good archive stuff to go through. He obviously makes decent money off it too, as some of his pursuits (like that new HD LaserDisc thing) are very expensive. His main setup he has for audio is lovely, too.

E: and while we’re recommending similar channels, Technology Connections is good too. He explains how TV works and covers old formats too (I noticed he had a MUSE LaserDisc video up two months ago, poor Mat got beaten on his $thousands venture. Here’s an example of one he did of VHS vs Betamax that I remember being neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKRubB5N60

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 30, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

Any word on whether or not this Predator UHD that comes out tomorrow is actually good, or is it just another disaster like every other release in the past ten years?

The UHD is a new transfer that has a ton of grain and no DNR according to a review I caught. Not spectacular but the best it’s ever looked. The included Blu-ray is the old lovely one, no new transfer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A bunch of us watched Trick r Treat after hearing all the great feedback a bunch of years ago, and all came away scratching our heads as to why it is so loved. I mean to try it again sometime, at least I don't remember a ton of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Monopthalmus posted:

My 4K UHD Predator 3-Movie Collection came with two copies of Predator 2 and no copies of Predators :thumbsup:

Also, since I just started buying these dumb things, man am I disappointed that everything seems to come in those flimsy, recycle-logo cutout cases. Hate 'em. I will pay 10 cents extra for a real case.

What do you think of the transfer for the 1st? I watched the other day and enjoyed a lot, thought it looked pretty great for a movie I know won’t ever be a 5 star visual knockout just due to how it was shot. I can’t compare to the dodgy Blu-rays because I realized while watching I hadn’t actually sat down and watched the movie in probably over 20 years. I’ve probably never seen it in the correct aspect ratio even. Which is crazy, given I think Predator is drat sweet.