Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always liked the Ramones covering the Spider-Man theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5P8lrgBtcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I never really understood why they're apparently not friends anymore.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The worst KOTH is the one where Bobby's getting a career as a model and Hank is right to be upset because people will make fun of him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dovetaile posted:

No that's an excellent episode.

The message is "give the worst assholes a veto on what you do in your life" and that's a pretty bad lesson.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Rashomon episode where they become volunteer firemen and burn down the firehouse and Boomhauer perceives everybody as talking like him while he speaks with perfect election and eloquence? One of the absolute standouts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It offers an explanation for why Seymour Skinner is the way he is- he's the person he had to become to stay with Agnes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I fell off after the Africa episode, which seemed even worse than all the others had been lately, and I came back to the episode where Ned has premarital sex. It wouldn't be a problem that he's done something that is totally against his beliefs if they just took him seriously as a character. He could reevaluate what he believes and change, or he could realize he's done something wrong and feel bad about it.

Instead he's just flippant about it and doesn't care, because he's no longer Ned Flanders but rather just a thing that dispenses jokes regardless of whether they make any sense.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The alt - right reading of the Lisa scene is correct, which is why that scene sucks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the episode where Bart raises two lizards is the last episode of golden age quality.

No, it's The Joy of Sect.

And the rot starts in season six with the uneven quality of Homer Badman, Fear of Flying, Bart vs Australia, and Lisa's Wedding. None of them are entirely bad but they're all slips from the heights of seasons 3-5.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

hey let's nip the millionth 'when did the simpsons get bad' argument on the internet and instead get hype over talking of the hill starting on march 15th :toot:

I can't wait! Hulu couldn't have got the show at a better time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wrestlepig posted:

That’s the best episode you drongo

It's a handful of good jokes wrapped around incredibly generic, poorly-executed Australian jokes and you can chart a downward path from it through Homer vs NYC and Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo and down into Simpson Safari.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I guess I just want more than "here's the laziest, hackiest, least original jokes that everybody already made". The NYC and Australia episodes are the least lovely because there's also other jokes ("Kickin' It" is goddamned amazing), but eventually they weren't even trying at all and I'd be lying if I said the safari and Japan episodes were any more execrable than the other episodes in those seasons.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So I'm guessing Natural Born Killers was sufficiently well-known in Japan that the pun could survive localization?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Husky Bobby is great right up until the message at the end, which is terrible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

What was the lesson? I remember it being that teenagers are mean.

BTW, if Bob and Henry ever do Pete and Pete for What a Cartoon, PushingUpRoses is a great Youtuber and has a great video about the series. She touches on a lot of stuff that would add to any discussions.

But the stuff at the front of Company Man, Bob is completely right about the successful Small Businessman. They're all garbage, they're all power tripping, I've only ever had one boss at a small business that was a decent person.

The message is don't do things that you enjoy if people will harass you for it, because it would suck.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There's aspects that don't hold up but the show was shockingly ahead of its time and even give years later would have been right at home on Adult Swim. Nobody was that meta on TV in 2000 and certainly not on ABC. "Let's make the second episode a clip show" was an amazing concept.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

They're all good shows and I'll be happy with any outcome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

I expected Bob to change it to Rowsdower

I wonder if there's Duff on the sun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I got one, and you still have to be careful with it or the Homer head box will fall right out of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

At one point it's made very clear that Hal and Lois had an idyllic life right up until the second Francis was born, at which point everything went to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

While this thread is active, I do have a question: I remember when Virgil Texas and Brihana Joy Grey guested on the episode where Mr Burns runs for governor, they said they'd be back for the episode where The Simpsons go to Africa (I believe because Bri said that she had spent some time there as a child); however when they eventually recorded that episode they had a different guest on. Can I ask why you guys didn't have Virgil and Bri back?

IDK if you're being serious or not, but in case you are, have you heard what became of Virgil since then?