Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Kly posted:

oh drat i didnt know they were only doing the first season of futurama

We can circle back and do more at some point, but ultimately the purpose of these "mini-series" is to do the full run of a short show, or one season of a longer running show. We only have so much bandwidth between two people and if we committed to all of Futurama, we'd be signing ourselves up for a five-year plan. Doing this extra content as mini-series lets us take a break between these production-heavy shows, and is appealing for Patrons who are waiting for us to talk about King of the Hill, Clone High, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

King of the Hill is a very likely candidate for our next mini-series.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Fawf posted:

Bob seeing as you've been having so many Giant Bomb folks on your podcast lately would you ever consider reaching out to Jeff Gerstmann for a Retronauts appearance? It's such a perfect pairing and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I think it's definitely a possibility, but I've always been too much of a chicken to ask! Having big guests on Talking Simpsons has definitely made me more confident about reaching out to people, so we'll see...

I forgot to check in on this thread in about a week and I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the podcasts! We just hit $10000 and put together a big post about new goals and our content plans for the year. (Even non-Patrons can check it out.)

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Kly posted:

are there any good Futurama focused podcasts similar to Talking Simpsons? There are way more hidden jokes and references i dont get in Futurama than Simpsons and TS guys doing season 1 is great but their (understandably) limited scope is gonna leave me wanting more when theyre done

There's a big chance we'll circle back to Futurama, but I know there are a few other Futurama podcasts out there. I haven't listened to them, though, so I dunno if they're any good.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Do you and Henry have a plan in mind for when you'll call it on Talking Simpsons? I feel like I've heard season 12 floated a few times as the jumping off point for a lot of people, are you thinking you're actually gonna go beyond that to the end?

Our plan is to keep going until we run out of episodes, so we've got at least ten years left.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Howie Mandel apparently retweeted a link to the new Patreon What A Cartoon! episode about Bobby's World because he must have a Google Alert set up or something.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Hi Bob, between the timing on this and the Ren & Stimpy ep of What a Cartoon, do you think your podcasts are cursed? I'll take my answer off the air.

(Love both shows, really need to get on that Patreon)

My only issue is Henry and I don't get to CONTROL who dies. What a rip-off!

Oh yeah, and Steve Sajdak from We hate Movies is on this week's Patreon episode!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

can I pay you $20/month and get another podcast/week? would be worth it

We're at our max workload right now but if we reach $11000 (and we probably will at some point) we'll do a second mini-series this year following Talking Futurama.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Understandable, you guys actually prepare(!!!) for each show

FYI, your stuff fills the void left by It's That Episode. Comedian Craig Rowin would watch a single ep of any TV show with his comedian/showbiz guest, though they intentionally did no research before watching. (Lots of UCB people including James Adomian)

https://thatepisode.libsyn.com/

I was actually a big fan of It's That Episode and Go Bayside! and both of them have had a pretty big influence on the Talking Simpsons "style."

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

So why hasn't there been a new episode in over two weeks? :confused:

We changed feeds so you'll need to resubscribe in order to get free episodes beyond Two Bad Neighbors. Henry put out a brief announcement on the old feed yesterday so hopefully everyone got the message by now.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Are you guys only doing one season of Futurama?

Yep, that was our plan from the beginning. Three weekly podcasts at once (plus Retronauts for me) is the absolute max we can do, and once we're back down to two we can have a little more time for other things like trips and live shows. The good news is we'll probably hit our $11000 goal soon, which will unlock a second mini-series for 2018 that Patrons can vote on. The good news is there's always a chance for us to return to Futurama in the future.

We still have tons of bonus/exclusive content after Talking Futurama, so we hope folks don't pull out when that's over. But I'm pretty confident they won't since we only grew in the hiatus between Talking Critic and Talking Futurama.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you, I'm celebrating by recording more episodes of Talking Futurama today.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Did they schedule the run of Talking Futurama so that the last episode came on June 1 in case people were planning on cancelling their subscriptions after it was over?? :tinfoil:

That would have been pretty devious.

It actually just happened to work out like that. We didn't lose people in the break between Talking Critic and Talking Futurama, and we still have tons of bonus content before the next mini-series, so I think we'll be fine.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

love any episode that gives henry an excuse to do his alex jones impression

e: oh man, don't tap out at the end of the homerpalooza episode when the plugs start if normally do. the y axes song they go out to is good, I might be a fan now

The Y-Axes are real good and I just saw them twice! You should spend money on them but they uploaded their newest album to YouTube (and I think it's on Spotify) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f6-EaJ3Pzk

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Evil Agita posted:

Oh weird, I got them all from podcast addict about 6 months ago, so this is a new problem I guess

It's not a problem; a lot of podcasts only have the last 100 episodes available when you access the RSS feed via a podcast app or device. All episodes can always be found on the Libsyn page, though.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

credburn posted:

Was recently at the Portland Retro Games Expo with my girlfriend and another friend. One of them muttered, "Death stalks you...at every turn..." and I wasn't really paying attention until a few minutes later, when I asked what she had said. She said it was something written on a person's shirt, but didn't know what it meant.

I assume it was one of you folks, but uh, I know the larger Talking Simpsons community exists outside this place, so -- I just don't have anywhere else useful to share this anecdote.

Did you know we were in Portland that weekend and put on two Talking Simpsons live shows?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

I was really disappointed they only did 1 season of Futurama

Because there's only two of us, we really only have the bandwidth to do one 13-episode mini-series a year on top of two weekly podcasts and a lot of bonus stuff (and Retronauts for me). And even then, we're stretched incredibly thin. Futurama won't be included in the 2019 mini-series poll so other shows can have a chance, but it'll be in the running again after that--which may be this year if we hit 11k and unlock a second annual mini-series. (At which point we can afford to outsource some editing.)

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

There are definitely some bad late season KOTH episodes but not that many.

The only one I can think of that's TRULY awful is the "ZZ Top shows up and Hank is now related to them" episode.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Disappointed in y'all for not supporting Duckman. Cornfed is the best

This is how I feel every moment of my life

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

BoosterDuck posted:

where's my Ruddman as a regular co-host

Dave has a job at the wrestling factory, we can't take him away from that

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Glad everyone is enjoying the shows!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Oh they need to update their bumpers because it still says "currently unfolding talking of the Hill".

TalKing of the Hill wrapped up the last week of May. If you hear us say "currently unfolding" then you're listening to an episode recorded before then. (We also record new bumpers for every episode.)

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Curious about your editing style Bob: Roughly how much do you keep in from on-topic discussion audio? Getting a phone call or flubbing a line should go (and you do a drat good job there), but it seems like you cut seconds from dialogue that would have been kept in on a rawer (lazier) podcast. The audio magnitude clips up & down slightly like a Youtuber teleporting inches between takes. It's actually reassuring to notice because the product you guys create is dense while still feeling like a natural conversation, but my Editor nerd side has to ask

We edit pretty rigorously, not to the point where we're cutting out every breath and "uhh," but we do remove anything that could interrupt the flow of the podcast or reflect poorly on us. Things like pauses that are too long, flubbing a line or a joke, leaving a lingering question (Henry and I hate doing this because inevitably every comment will involve someone answering that question), pausing to look something up, sirens and helicopter noises, etc. Things have been so busy for us that we now have an outside editor that edits 3-5 episodes a month, but thankfully they're highly skilled and stick to our house rules.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks man. The episodes with Matt & Virgil sound better than most Google Hangouts and that must have taken ages switching between audio tracks. Free joke: use your recording of Matt for that classic yelling-into-a-tin-can feel

Henry did the editing on the Chapo episodes and I know for a fact that he spent a LOT of time on them. So it's good to see people notice!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Talking Critic pilot was a Talking Simpsons episode, so it's on the free feed here: https://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/talkingsimpsons_criticpilotmp3

And all of the What A Cartoon! episodes are on this free feed: https://whatacartoonfeed.libsyn.com/

I'm not seeing the repeating Sailor Moon episode issue, but we can't determine how the many different podcast apps and programs interpret our feeds. Usually unsubscribing and resubscribing helps if you're having issues.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Piquai Souban posted:

You guys sold me on What a Cartoon - tried the Clerks episode, and I am really sold on the format. It’s a really great deep dive into the entire history of this blip of a show that isn’t exactly what I expected from the mainline show - thought it’d be more of just the one ep.

We've done a ton of other episodes on even more obscure subjects! (And also popular ones.)

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

zari-gani posted:

It blew my mind to find out Hiromu Arakawa has three kids. I don't know how any manga artist manages to find the time and energy to raise a child, let alone multiple.

Why hire assistants when you can make them?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

What will the recording setup be when Bob moves to :canada:? FYI Struggle Session sounds crystal clear while the hosts are half the US apart

I have a lot of experience recording with a home setup, but I haven't had to use it much since Henry lives 30 minutes away from me. I have existing professional equipment to use, and since I won't be living in a Bay Area shoebox, I'll have a lot more space to build a nice recording setup.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I want to believe that Bob and Henry's work would help reevaluate those ill-regarded episodes and say "Oh, here's a great joke, here's an inspired character moment, etc." but I know better.

Please have faith in us! We have more listeners/patrons than ever before since we hit the "bad" years, and we don't think we're going to lose anyone as we go further into the double-digit seasons.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Talking Simpsons network will now produce 30% less content and I'm not even mad! Bob and Henry work hard and put on a quality show.

It's actually more like 20% less content, and that'll be an even smaller percentage when we have our spring and fall miniseries. Everyone has been happy with the new plan and we're really excited about 2020!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I edit podcasts so I sound 300% sharper and funnier than I actually am. If there's time I extend the same courtesy to our guests.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

While doing notes and research for season one I made a nice Twitter thread about Homer's Odyssey, and I should be doing that for more S1 episodes in the future: https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214683109142085632

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Maybe I am biased but Bob is extremely friendly and approachable too

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Never seen it. Maybe we that'll be my next "no one cares enough to copyright claim this" YouTube binge

It's all on one DVD set where David Mirkin does a commentary on every episode :c00l:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

zari-gani posted:

I definitely think it's this

I don't even know the lyrics and I agree

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

Going to be honest, my reaction to Mission Hill was starting up the first episode before listening to the first podcast, watching for five minutes and not laughing once, and very confusedly stopping the episode and not going back.

I don't think it's a laugh out loud show like The Simpsons—it's more about small-scale observational comedy. The sad part is the show starts to really figure out what it is towards the end of the first season (like most animated shows) and that's when it was cancelled.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Is there an RSS feed that includes Talking Simpsons from before 9/21/2018?
http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/rss only goes back to then, even though http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com reaches 10/12/2015

You can only access the most recent 100 episodes through the feed, though all the files are still online and you can download them and listen to them however you want.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bob, have you thought about including the date an episode was recorded in the show notes? Just a little "recorded on --/--/----" at the end of the description? It would be such a small thing but that information might be useful to know if 2020 continues to be as interesting as it has been.

I think it's just safe to assume history will change wildly every 24-36 hours at this point

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Is this what got Al Jean mad at you, Bob?

Seems like perfectly cromulent satire

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/leaked-simpsons-movie/

The important thing is I didn't get my comeuppance and I never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I was talking to Simpsons collector Bart of Darkness and his theory is they went with the number that's on the Mr. Plow fliers (which is KL5-3223)