Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a weirdly Venture Bros esque take on the relationship there, Sonic realising on some level that Eggman really is playing around, and is aware that he lets his whims and ego get in the way of what's optimal, and doesn't mind.

Plus, even if he DOES succeed, there's no guarantee the power vacuum won't be filled by something worse. Like say, Starline, who's tried to be Eggman But Efficient and racked up an impressive resume of war crimes in a short amount of time- and if anything but be even worse when it comes to being callous, petty and cruel. Better the devil you know and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For what its worth, the last time an Eggman died in a sonic comic another one popped up and made everything so much worse.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

ConanThe3rd posted:

For what its worth, the last time an Eggman died in a sonic comic another one popped up and made everything so much worse.

If I remember correctly, that other Eggman was from a world where he did beat Sonic and was subsequently so bored when he got what he thought he wanted that he went around searching for new Sonics to challenge him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like people are looking for complex answers to a question that Sonic already gave us the simple answer to.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bring Penders back if you want Sonic to kill his enemies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Breadallelogram posted:

Bring Penders back if you want Sonic to kill his enemies.

The answer to the question what's a monkey's paw where everyone loses?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I really liked seeing this comic continue the tradition of Eggman actually being surprisingly agile. The guy can throw hands, he's got moves.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Skeleton King posted:

I really liked seeing this comic continue the tradition of Eggman actually being surprisingly agile. The guy can throw hands, he's got moves.

He's a really good example of what Terry Pratchett meant when he described a fat man as moving like a tethered balloon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

Well of course. Dude's faster than Sonic after all... :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3s_kU4Y7yI

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

If I remember correctly, that other Eggman was from a world where he did beat Sonic and was subsequently so bored when he got what he thought he wanted that he went around searching for new Sonics to challenge him.
Thats the size of it, yes.

And by the time we got to Worlds Collide, he had basically won. He'd never get sonic but he was more than capable of, and willing to, nuke evrything around the hedgehog.

The world only improved because the board got reset.

For the only time in his life, Wily made something better.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 31, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd doubt Eggman can keep it up for long, but you don't arch a speedster for long while not having something in reserve. You can be fat and fast, see linebackers.

He could also be cheating Baron Harkonnen style.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The new annual was great; I'd say the Rough & Tumble story was my favorite

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The new annual was great; I'd say the Rough & Tumble story was my favorite

No lies detected. :haibrow:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Honestly it's kind of ridiculous that Metal Sonic, a character with very limited expressions, has more of a personality than Shadow in these comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggman is canonically an Olympuc level athlete

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not sure how many people are keeping up with the comic but issue 53 is out and I loved everything in it. I am so genuinely fascinated with how Kit is being handled and I'm curious to how they'll play it out as it's not something I've really seen in a comic aimed at well, this target audience.

The line of "I need him. He can use me too." is just so hauntingly hosed up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could hear Sonic's voice getting muffled and the single tone getting louder when he relayed the bad news to Kit.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
#53 is absurdly good! A couple of obvious predictions mixed in with totally unexpected elements, these really are the best Sonic comics of all time!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not sure how many people are keeping up with the comic but issue 53 is out and I loved everything in it. I am so genuinely fascinated with how Kit is being handled and I'm curious to how they'll play it out as it's not something I've really seen in a comic aimed at well, this target audience.

The line of "I need him. He can use me too." is just so hauntingly hosed up.

I want that poor boy to get some help but unfortunately I do not think it's in the cards any time soon.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

I want that poor boy to get some help but unfortunately I do not think it's in the cards any time soon.

Starline did a real number on that kid, I can't imagine Kit finding out Surge is alive will end well for anyone.

53 also has another fantastic display of how Whisper doesn't gently caress around, she's such a cool character!

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Heard about this thread a week ago and although I'm always a few months behind on the series because I don't like physical comics I caught up just so I could comment.

I love these comics. I don't read any other comics so I have no context for what's normal but drat they hit right for me. I was a regular reader of the Archie series but I have very little love for them up until Ian took over and even then there was a lot of cruft that in retrospect I'm glad they ditched with the move to IDW. Still, RIP Nicole and Shard (among others)...

Anyway, I saw a lot of criticism of the metal virus arc earlier in the thread and I didn't feel the same way at all. In fact, it was the metal virus arc that got me hooked. It never dragged for me and both Tangle's sacrifice and, in particular, Cream's were absolutely heartbreaking. I never cared about Cream before IDW but she's such a little badass now. I dunno, I just never find myself thinking about things like mandates from sega and the reality that the heroes obviously have to win eventually when I'm reading it. I find it easy to care about these characters even if things are always going to work out in the end.

I don't have much to say about the other arcs up until the Surge/Kit arc which also kicks rear end. I'm loving what they're doing with Kit. It seems a bit heavy for a Sonic comic, dealing with that much mental trauma and dependence, but it's working and I hope he ends up in a good place eventually.

#50 had some absolutely fantastic lines, from "this shouldn't take long" and the "maybe I spoke too fast" sequence, to the "did he... hurt you?" admission. That entire issue felt like watching a movie what with the scene switches back and forth between the different fights. The pacing was excellent. I also thought the part where Tails tries to befriend Kit had some seriously great panels. Like Kit taking pride in his gear before retreating back into his shell, the pose when Tails says it took a long time to get used to having two tails, and the red line through Kit's eye when he says he doesn't need any friends.

If I have anything negative to say it's that the dialog and plot sometimes seem a bit forced. Like Sonic and Tails just immediately drive at the core of Surge and Kit's trauma even though they should have no idea what's really going on. It pulls me out of the story a little and comes across as kind of cheesy but it's easy enough to overlook - maybe I'm being too forgiving and wouldn't do the same for another property! I don't think it would be any better if they dragged it out though. I'd rather they keep the pacing as is.

I also didn't particularly like Starline but his end was satisfying enough.

Enjoy this clever little edit from reddit:

Check out how they gave Kit a droplet shaped patch on his chest - also pretty clever!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I never noticed it was a drop.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

A preview of the first page of the Scrapnik Island miniseries came out

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Holy Moly the art for Scrapnik Island is gorgeous

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been meaning to check these out, cool to see people digging it. I love that Mega Man comic from Archie, so that crossover with Sonic and the Archie Sonic reboot thingy are gonna be the first ones I try I think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://youtu.be/QQJv3CddjJE

So Sonic Frontiers spoilers

Tangle is canon to the games now. Wonder if this means the rest if the IDW cast are too?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Im using this as a sign to take all of IDW as Sega canon in general.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://youtu.be/QQJv3CddjJE

So Sonic Frontiers spoilers

Tangle is canon to the games now. Wonder if this means the rest if the IDW cast are too?

Tangle already showed up in a mobile game.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 9, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tangle already showed up in a mobile game.

Two mobile games along with Whisper (Sonic Dash and the Sonic Forces racing game).

Now if only one or both of them could actually make it into a console game

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 10, 2022

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
drat, Scrapnik Island is pretty great! I was worried about Sonic being out of the action with his busted foot and all, but the stuff in issue #2 is fantastic!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve never touched the Sonic comics but read through most of this over the last couple of days. Most of it’s pretty insubstantial and the Zombot stuff gets exhausting even on an archival read (especially when the Deadly Six get involved, they’re so lame) but everything about Surge and Kit is a great example of “hosed up, in a family-friendly way”

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve never touched the Sonic comics but read through most of this over the last couple of days. Most of it’s pretty insubstantial and the Zombot stuff gets exhausting even on an archival read (especially when the Deadly Six get involved, they’re so lame) but everything about Surge and Kit is a great example of “hosed up, in a family-friendly way”

Yeah, the IDW stuff before was ok but it really hit a stride after Metal Virus. Surge and Kit have been so interesting, it's a shame if they only get these few arcs before being written off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, the IDW stuff before was ok but it really hit a stride after Metal Virus. Surge and Kit have been so interesting, it's a shame if they only get these few arcs before being written off.

I don't want them to be overexposed, so I hope they take a break after their next arc, and return later.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 10, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

I'm sure they won't be written off for good, they'll probably stick around as some kind of distant threat always looming in the background for the occasional attack. The interesting thing in my opinion will be seeing if Kit ever manages to break his conditioning now that he's experienced Sonic & co. being nice to him even if it was only for like... 2 comics.

I liked the inside joke of putting their concept designs on the table as Starline's concepts, and of course the joke of the Sonic Cycle there too. And once again Eggman just whipping out a real rear end gun and grabbing Surge by the hair was great. Kinda ridiculous but I like that after the Starline fight it seems like Eggman is way more efficient without any mechs at all.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 10, 2022

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Kinda ridiculous but I like that after the Starline fight it seems like Eggman is way more efficient without any mechs at all.

I like how it's basically been established that Eggman is incredibly dangerous but it's also understandable how Sonic beats him, because Eggman doesn't WANT to win through massive, overwhelming force or subterfuge or assassination. He wants to win with weird little animal robots, egg-themed battlebots, and just showing off his own genius and designs.

The one time Eggman unleashes something unstoppable, the Metal Virus, Sonic gets nearly immediately infected and is effectively on a time limit. At that point, and with Starline to impress, Eggman DOES go scorched earth and nothing can hold him back. The only thing that stops him is Starline loving up with the Zeti. Eggman doesn't care about having a cure or anything to the Metal Virus, with Sonic basically hosed, he's content to let everyone else die and find another planet to live on.

Eggman could basically do poo poo like that any time he wished. That he doesn't is just because he doesn't want to, because it's not as fun. Which is a good direction to go with him to keep him dangerous and yet still letting him lose constantly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the further starline got into his solo career the clearer it became that he learned all he knew about villainy from the sonic equivalent of the Evil Overlord List. what an utter schmuck

it gives surge and kit's whole situation even more punch, because they wouldn't be nearly as unhinged/threatening if it hadn't been for starline's "full speed ahead" attitude in creating them

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I really liked Starline, especially in the two mini series he had. Would be alright with him being legit dead, though. Not like you can do much more with the character.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Saoshyant posted:

I really liked Starline, especially in the two mini series he had. Would be alright with him being legit dead, though. Not like you can do much more with the character.

Same here. I enjoyed him, but I'm not sure what happens after he took his shot and got completely dismantled by his 'hero'. I did really like the appearances in Surge's low points.

Surge: "I'm not listening to you!"

Starline: "You're not? Then who are you talking to?"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just to say, If you're looking to start reading the series, Amazon has the Collection Edition books on Kindle for $10 (or the regional equivalent) so $20 will get you to #20 with the 2019 annual.

The Graphic Novels (starting at volume 6 if read the two Collection Edition booms) are going for $4 each and will get you to #49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I just started working my way through the comic myself and am about 12 issues in. Out of curiosity, do those previews of other comics at the end stop at some point or is that just something IDW does?

Also Tangle and Whisper are great and I really want to see them in a non mobile game one day (especially considering Frontiers officially canonized the former)