Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The ashcan previews are there more oft than not.

They don't show up in the Graphic Novels or Collection Editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
56 spoilers: as much as I liked surge/kit in concept I feel like the writers put themselves in a box with how to resolve them

when you’ve got a hero who compulsively spares every bad guy and a bad guy who becomes psychotically violent at the hero’s face, voice, and especially mercy then you’re just going to keep going in circles

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

56 spoilers: as much as I liked surge/kit in concept I feel like the writers put themselves in a box with how to resolve them

when you’ve got a hero who compulsively spares every bad guy and a bad guy who becomes psychotically violent at the hero’s face, voice, and especially mercy then you’re just going to keep going in circles

For now I think they need a break. Have a year off to build back up again.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm all for a Surge vs Shadow confrontation personally, but I do agree that they need some time to regroup so they don't get stale.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Did mid-late 00s SA have an Archie Sonic thread? Or did all chat about the comics happen in Games?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Delphisage posted:

Did mid-late 00s SA have an Archie Sonic thread? Or did all chat about the comics happen in Games?

Yeah, you have this one and the Archie comics general thread of the time featured Sonic in the OP at least so I imagine there was at least a little occasional Sonic chat.

e: oh poo poo you said late '00s, nvm.

e2: doing a little time-traveling, I found a couple of threads started by Ian Flynn himself back in '06 (both those links require archives btw)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 21, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TwoPair posted:

e2: doing a little time-traveling, I found a couple of threads started by Ian Flynn himself back in '06 (both those links require archives btw)
Thanks!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I put in an order for the first hardcover at a local shop after Frontiers, and just got it this week.

I've already bought and devoured the second hardcover since. God, this comic is incredibly solid. I can't believe I'm looking forward to the particular set of dipshits who the end of this volume teases showing up.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 23, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Catching up on the most recent IDW comics from the previous year.

Man, reading these comics was always an uncomfortable experience, but it's even worse after reading 180 issues of Archie Sonic. I don't care how many times you use the word "mandates" or "Penders", it's still uncomfortable to see stuff like "Sonic's World" being said, or having characters dance around declaring someone dead when the smallest child could figure out the word.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel compelled to post this here. I haven't read IDW Sonic, I'm sure it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lKmXz0j7Q

So this youtuber Lowart made a THREE HOUR long video essay about reading Archie Sonic, and it was interesting just to relive some of it and see the series I remembered through fresh eyes.

Of course, he only really covers it around up to Robotnik's return in 1998, which I think I only managed to regularly follow the comic some time around then, so for most of the earlier stuff I only had scattered issues, so a lot of the stories and conclusions he's drawing from the early comic I'm more discovering for the first time. I feel like there's an extra mystique you often get when you only read parts of a story instead of the whole, both from imagining more of the world that might be out there and also from the fact that some writers aren't very good and are better in moderation.

I only had one issue of the "endgame" arc, and I had no idea how weak the overall story was, but I did think it was cool that Sonic had the whole trick with throwing some dirt into the air and running on it to get away from the cops.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Delphisage posted:

Catching up on the most recent IDW comics from the previous year.

Man, reading these comics was always an uncomfortable experience, but it's even worse after reading 180 issues of Archie Sonic. I don't care how many times you use the word "mandates" or "Penders", it's still uncomfortable to see stuff like "Sonic's World" being said, or having characters dance around declaring someone dead when the smallest child could figure out the word.

I haven't gotten particularly tired of the new run but I won't lie that it's definitely a different beast. I haven't read all of Archie Sonic nor do I plan to but I'll admit that even the later arcs post-lawsuit-fallout definitely feels like the characters are more actual well-rounded characters as opposed to nowadays when you can feel Sega's iron grip making sure the characters (at least, the ones featured in games) stay perfectly in line (which is to say pretty shallow) with their game counterparts.

It kinda hit me actually in the games which is appropriate I guess since Flynn wrote most of Frontiers. Like (Sonic Frontiers spoilers I guess) when Sonic's on the verge of his weird cyberspace not-death, there's only tension for like 2 seconds before all his friends break him out and he has basically no reaction besides "cool, thanks!" and when Sage dies (I mean, she doesn't, but as far as Sonic knows she does) and there is literally zero acknowledgement from him. Again, I didn't expect (nor want) an emotional breakdown, but we got all the characters to give a poo poo about Shadow not dying over 2 decades ago. And I don't blame Ian, I definitely blame Sega more. I don't know when if ever they'll loosen the gently caress up but I really hope they do at some point.

Because I don't think Sonic's the most boring character in the comic (it's Eggman imo) but he's definitely near the top and that shouldn't be the case for the character with his name on the cover.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the best move they could do at this point for IDW would be to shift the focus pretty much entirely to OC characters that aren't held down by SEGA's bullshit and reduce the presence of the Sega owned characters to the absolute bare minimum required to maintain the license

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the best move they could do at this point for IDW would be to shift the focus pretty much entirely to OC characters that aren't held down by SEGA's bullshit and reduce the presence of the Sega owned characters to the absolute bare minimum required to maintain the license

There is absolutely no chance that's going to happen.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
If nothing else, Adam Bryce Thomas's art continues to be an absolute treat in the most recent issue. It would have been interesting to see him work with the post-reboot Archie stuff.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Sailor Dave posted:

If nothing else, Adam Bryce Thomas's art continues to be an absolute treat in the most recent issue. It would have been interesting to see him work with the post-reboot Archie stuff.

Adam actually got his start with reboot-era Archie, though a combination of being less experienced and the fact that the most of Archie's inkers had styles that didn't quite vibe with his art (vs IDW where he gets to do his own inks) meant it looks nowhere near as good as his IDW stuff

speaking of good artists, Thomas Rothilsberger's art in the issue that released just yesterday is also really good

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I'm pretty sure Sega's half-assed overparenting will see paid to any such sceme right away and we'll be back to Sonic's sanded down adventures err long.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm pretty sure Sega's half-assed overparenting will see paid to any such sceme right away and we'll be back to Sonic's sanded down adventures err long.

Eh just got to stick Sonic in one or two pages every issue and I imagine Sega won't give a poo poo

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

when Sonic's on the verge of his weird cyberspace not-death, there's only tension for like 2 seconds before all his friends break him out and he has basically no reaction besides "cool, thanks!" and when Sage dies (I mean, she doesn't, but as far as Sonic knows she does) and there is literally zero acknowledgement from him. Again, I didn't expect (nor want) an emotional breakdown, but we got all the characters to give a poo poo about Shadow not dying over 2 decades ago. And I don't blame Ian, I definitely blame Sega more. I don't know when if ever they'll loosen the gently caress up but I really hope they do at some point.

I think a large portion of this is just plain what happens when you write for a video game like Sonic. The longer scenes with Sonic and his friends have time to breathe as part of the game, but the ending has been chopped up a bit; there's quite a bit of lost story content spread through the last act, voiced lines and text lines that just don't line up with what the actually game ends up being. The ending was probably done quickly to give the game a denouement when they couldn't get the entire thing done in time.

It doesn't matter what story you write if gameplay and development circumstances make portions of it impossible to implement.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel compelled to post this here. I haven't read IDW Sonic, I'm sure it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lKmXz0j7Q

So this youtuber Lowart made a THREE HOUR long video essay about reading Archie Sonic, and it was interesting just to relive some of it and see the series I remembered through fresh eyes.

Of course, he only really covers it around up to Robotnik's return in 1998, which I think I only managed to regularly follow the comic some time around then, so for most of the earlier stuff I only had scattered issues, so a lot of the stories and conclusions he's drawing from the early comic I'm more discovering for the first time. I feel like there's an extra mystique you often get when you only read parts of a story instead of the whole, both from imagining more of the world that might be out there and also from the fact that some writers aren't very good and are better in moderation.

I only had one issue of the "endgame" arc, and I had no idea how weak the overall story was, but I did think it was cool that Sonic had the whole trick with throwing some dirt into the air and running on it to get away from the cops.

It's funny; I watched that video earlier this week and it's actually what lead me back to this thread after being off the site for quiet a while. Good watch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, did the Archie comic actually get a proper ending of sorts or did it just get cancelled eventually to make way for the current IDW series?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

it got cancelled in the middle of a retelling of the Genesis games from shortly after it wrapped up a big storyline (with some other stories solicited that never got published). IDW didn't get the license until half a year after Archie was cancelled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For that matter, does Archie even do licensed adaptions anymore or do they mainly just stick to stuff related to their main universe these days?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Honestly it seems like they actually mostly stopped doing licensed stuff way back in the late 90s; Sonic basically long outliving when they did do so and Mega Man being a weird exception fueled by the continued success of Sonic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its a shame cause, whikst he wouldn't go full Max, I would have liked to have seen King Acorn's temperment, especially with GUN, snap under the strain of Forces and the Metal Virus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Its a shame cause, whikst he wouldn't go full Max, I would have liked to have seen King Acorn's temperment, especially with GUN, snap under the strain of Forces and the Metal Virus.

Wait, the Metal Virus was originally going to be an Archie story arc? Did IDW use anything else from said cancelled plans out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 22, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not AFIK but it wasn't so much cribbed as Ian had it in his notes prior to Archie being subsumed by the Riverdale-beast so why waste the effort?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't see how it's "cribbing" when it's the same writer on the same title/character across two companies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, fixed the original post

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2023

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

Wait, the Metal Virus was originally going to be an Archie story arc? Did IDW use anything else from said cancelled plans out of curiosity?
To my knowledge (from listening to a lot of podcast QnA) Ian hasn't spoken about reusing any other old Archie concepts for IDW, no.

And IIRC Ian said any Archie metal virus stuff was still in the ideas stage and hadn't been formally pitched as a story yet. So he hadn't worked out like, the ending or anything other than the broad strokes/themes he wanted, which I think is probably why the concept could slot into IDW easily since it doesnt depend on any Archie characters or settings, unlike say for example, the solo freedom fighter arcs he was working on.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The april fools sonic visual novel game is cute, did any of the IDW crew work on it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2324650/The_Murder_of_Sonic_the_Hedgehog/

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The writer (Ian Mutchler) wrote the Jet the Hawk & Whisper the Wolf story in last year's annual (he's also storyboarded on some of the Tyson Hesse shorts) while the lead character artist (Min Ho Kim aka deegeemin) has done a few covers (a pretty recent addition to the crew though, his first cover was one of the variants for Scrapnik Island #1), but otherwise no, no other IDW guys involved (though Ian/Evan/Tyson are among the people who got Special Thanks credits)

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames
Enjoying a lot of things about the franchise lately.

Surge and Kit's arc was pretty underwhelming, the last issue felt like a retread of the hardware store fight, which was a better scenario. The Eggperial City stories are building well, even though the concept of the city is just Midgar, without the new age stuff. But it's not like Sonic comics haven't borrowed from other sources before.

Also, managed to score NM Sonic in your face special (2nd printing) and Knuckles #1 (main series). NM Knuckles #2 on the way with Ken "Papa Bear" Penders' signature. Very fun franchise to collect for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I imagine most people checking this thread saw the April Fools game, but in case you didn't, you are missing out, so I'm here to tell you that a fun thing happened a few days ago: a small studio released a Sonic Visual Novel that was published on Steam as an April Fools prank. It's about a murder.

Features great art, good writing (I thought at first it was someone from the IDW comics), and there's a decent enough platformer thrown in too (though the later stages rely a bit too much in route memorization). It's free, try it.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Saoshyant posted:

I imagine most people checking this thread saw the April Fools game, but in case you didn't, you are missing out, so I'm here to tell you that a fun thing happened a few days ago: a small studio released a Sonic Visual Novel that was published on Steam as an April Fools prank. It's about a murder.

Features great art, good writing (I thought at first it was someone from the IDW comics), and there's a decent enough platformer thrown in too (though the later stages rely a bit too much in route memorization). It's free, try it.

I played it for about 90min. It's cute, though my character being called "they" constantly felt awkward. I am a BOY, dude!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1651691173315227650

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everything sucks

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

On one hand this doesn't necessarily mean the end of IDW Sonic; these are layoffs, not a full closure (plus comic book creatives are usually freelancers, so they wouldn't get caught up in layoffs)

On the other hand one of the people who got laid off is someone who directly works on IDW Sonic; designer/letterer Shawn Lee
https://twitter.com/robutoid/status/1651742287125413890

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm honestly of the belief that Sega would prop up a Sonic comic- if not just buy out the rights to IDW Sonic outright, and continue it on its own initiative- if IDW were to sink.

It'd be the wackiest godsdamned thing in the world if they bought out the rights, worked with Rebellion (the supposed owners of Sonic The Comic's licence) to publish it, and that was our out to getting STC GNs in print.

Somewhat unlikely to be sure but what is Sonic but a series of highly unlikely events?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The IDW continuity likely would just continue if the rights moved to another publisher since apparently Sega fully owns all of the OC's created for it unlike what happened with Archie so there wouldn't really need to be a reboot this time around, hardly the first time that's happened with a licensed comic either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So far pretty much every Sonic comic out there has been cancelled without getting a proper conclusion (Archie, Sonic X, Sonic Boom, and Fleetway), we'll see if the same holds true for the current one though (hopefully not since going by Frontiers this one is apparently at least somewhat canon to the games)