Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Onmi posted:

That wasn't hard. Fleetway Comics were still... weird...

Also Sonic is a total loving rear end in a top hat

There's something infectiously fascinating about this comic, like a fever dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the STC version of Super Sonic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

2000 AD veteran Richard Elson's art on Sonic the Comic was often really gorgeous.

Plenty of other artists were doing great work there, too. Nigel Dobbyn, another 2000 AD alum, inked, coloured and drew the Knuckles serial for a few years and produced some really lovely work.

STC definitely had some odd art at times, but when its lead artists were on, they were really on. I think the art quality was miles ahead of Archie.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dobbyn painted all his art, didn't he?

Roberto Corona also had a style I liked.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Android Blues posted:

2000 AD veteran Richard Elson's art on Sonic the Comic was often really gorgeous.

Plenty of other artists were doing great work there, too. Nigel Dobbyn, another 2000 AD alum, inked, coloured and drew the Knuckles serial for a few years and produced some really lovely work.

STC definitely had some odd art at times, but when its lead artists were on, they were really on. I think the art quality was miles ahead of Archie.

STC definitely had some beautiful spreads, but the main issue Archie struggled with during that time was, besides Spaz, no one seemed to... understand the anatomy of a sonic character. If that puts it best. They didn't seem to get how to draw these designs moving and spin dashing and whatever. Or even standing to be honest. I think the current crop of artists that were working on the comic/have been snapped up by IDW understand it perfectly well though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's really jarring how a lot of the supporting cast of StC turned increasingly human-like. I don't think StC really got the anatomy of Sonic characters who weren't in the games either.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dobbyn painted all his art, didn't he?

Roberto Corona also had a style I liked.

Painted then inked, I think, and it looks gorgeous. Just a really high level of craft.

I liked Roberto Corona too. His work was less flashy than Elson or Dobbyn, in that it didn't focus on building depth and weight around these heavily shaded characters, but he had a knack for appealing character design and composition.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like why is Porker twice the size of Knuckles when he started out as one of the tiny animals you freed from badniks?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mick McMahon's art was the big love-it-or-hate-it for STC.

I think this is the only time he ever drew Robotnik: http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_20128/subcat_141523/stc118-3.jpg

Other than that, he had this way of drawing characters basically as short, squat humans with spindly arms and animal heads: http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_20128/subcat_141523/stc134-3.jpg

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The supporting cast definitely didn't always look very Sonic-y, but to be fair, there were other characters like Tekno and Shortfuse who were more proportionate to traditional Sonic designs. I guess I always figured Porker and Johnny were just tall.

I'm guessing they wanted to get away from the "tiny animals" look because those character designs just aren't very good, and they aren't consistent with the games anyway, just the scraps of non-game "canon" material Fleetway was originally working with when they were formulating the comic. The stubby little limbs and ovoid bodies aren't great for characters you might want to put in action scenes or dynamic poses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Porker flat out looks like Porky Pig there.

Mighta been an issue that they're from so early in the franchise; likely they didn't have style guides and reference sheets for the characters, and they probably didn't bother trying to go back to the original source (Mickey Mouse and Felix the Cat) and risk lawsuits and/or Sega getting pissy.

They probably got better as they went along, but kept up some of the odder character designs out of legacy.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fleetway always looked like that, really. The art was basically done well in terms of quality and such, but character designs were very much hit or miss. Not the Archie was much better; it seems that most of the artists who tried to draw the Sonic comics in the UK or the US were more familiar with Looney Tunes styles, and thus you got a lot of that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Fleetway always looked like that, really. The art was basically done well in terms of quality and such, but character designs were very much hit or miss. Not the Archie was much better; it seems that most of the artists who tried to draw the Sonic comics in the UK or the US were more familiar with Looney Tunes styles, and thus you got a lot of that.

Yeah by the time the Ian era rolled in the artists went from "People who have no idea what a sonic character is" to "People who drew sonic characters growing up" basically. Not that those people DIDN'T exist before Dawn Best was perfectly fine at drawing Sonic characters, it's just she was drawing them when Penders was head writer and he couldn't help but... touch up... her art.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As well, the idea of "Sonic character" being effectively a design template didn't exist for a few years at the start of the franchise. There was only Sonic, Eggman/Robotnik, and the animals you freed. Then there was Tails, who looked dissimilar enough from Sonic that you couldn't establish much of a template from the two of them. Knuckles didn't exist until eighteen months into the Fleetway comic's run.

This kind of affected the Archie stuff too. Antoine, Sally, Bunny et al used to look a fair shy from standard Sonic characters for what are probably similar reasons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Read the second issue today, good stuff.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/AdamBryceThomas/status/984546677926309888

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

New issue out. Rough and the Tumble look just formidable enough to be a threat while just dumb enough to be funny. Well, pretty much to be expected.

Looks like they'll be introducing games characters on a relative drip-feed so far. Funny that Knuckles ends up dragged into leadership duties when he's possibly even less suited to it than Sonic for a number of reasons, and knows it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sonic trying desperately not to crack up at Rough and Tumble's rhyming is the funniest thing. So far the writing has been on point, but what else is new?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the bit where Knuckles, completly missing how stupid it all is, is like "Watch out, Sonic! They're co-ordinated!"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The art this issue (different colorist, artist doing their own inks) felt a bit Fan Comic-ish (like a decent fan comic but still), but if this as low art wise as IDW goes (and honestly it's not even bad, just weaker than before) then we're in good shape

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Well, several members of the staff have worked on fan comics in the past, so that's not too far off. Flynn and Stanley come to mind.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mikedawson posted:

Well, several members of the staff have worked on fan comics in the past, so that's not too far off. Flynn and Stanley come to mind.

I'm talking more about Heather Breckel's colors more than anything else: Stanley's fancomic doesn't even look like a fan comic anymore it's so nice looking

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Knuckles truly is the salt of the earth.:allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got confirmation that the Hooligans are still a thing. As Sonic compares Rough and Tumble to them.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/AllComic_/status/987725595755864065

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good on Sonic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
4th issue out it was fun.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

there's something hilarious about that last page with eggman, even in context

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really understand how Tangles tail works, like she wraps it around some robots and pulls on it and they just sorta explode?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

SONIC'S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE! After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman's latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it's a big job for one hedgehog-even Sonic! 

So they don't call him Robotnik anymore, but the robots are called Badniks?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

I don't really understand how Tangles tail works, like she wraps it around some robots and pulls on it and they just sorta explode?

They got crushed. The tail was wrapped and "tangled" between them so that when she pulled the tail the robots in the gaps between the tail would be squeezed and crushed.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So they don't call him Robotnik anymore, but the robots are called Badniks?

They have been called Badniks in many recent things. It is easier then saying Eggman's Robots.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Caidin posted:

I like to imagine that if she ever appeared in a game she'd play like Stretch Panic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They have been called Badniks in many recent things. It is easier then saying Eggman's Robots.

Look at all those Eggman's Robots!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Look at all those Eggman's Robots!

EggBots. EggRobos. Eggos.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I get how Tangle destroys the badniks, but something still feels off to me whenever she pulls her tail taut. Maybe there's not enough tension depicted in the tail when it's being pulled? It could be cinched more tightly around whatever it's entangling, or maybe there could be more deformation/cracking from the object as the tail squeezes. Clearly Tangle's tail is very strong, and I think the strength could be sold a bit more. But whatever, that's a minor complaint for some excellent art. I knew going into this that Stanley would do things right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Clearly a relative of Marsupialami.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
#5 dropped.

If they're doing what I think they're doing with this whole Eggman has amnesia thing (IE: Mr Tinker isn't an act but his actual personality is showing though, like how he mentioned Eggman Land and how he was acting in #4, and Shadow/Rouge and Sonic coming to blows will cause Eggman to "Snap" then that's some drat handy work by our boys, I'll say that much.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 30, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am curious who is controlling his robots.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Any idea if they'll do another mega man cross over because those were fun and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Azubah posted:

Any idea if they'll do another mega man cross over because those were fun and awesome.

Maybe if IDW picks up the licence. I think Archie still has it.