Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames
IDW has been ailing for some time, hard to say what the problem is but I'm guessing their scale was off. Gonna send some support to Shawn Lee. I'd encourage yall to do the same, its a wild freelance world out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Comics are about the journey, but I guess licensed comics are even more so. On it getting an ending, I actually got really into IDW's GI Joe continuity. Mike Costa on Cobra was writing some instant classic stuff especially. That universe did not get an ending, and I'd figure Sonic wouldn't get an ending either. Just not ending on a terrible cliffhanger (or a few years of sharkjumping poor quality comics) is a win I'd say.

That said, really, endings do seem a bit superfluous when it comes to decades long stories. Could always imagine your own ending, it's probably better than what they'd come up with anyway, I dunno.

On IDW, I read the comicsbeat interview with the head honcho, who is the son of the main investor etc. They spend half the interview talking about how they did well on crypto and making money etc, didn't read any comics and are doing this because their dad asked them to etc. I know it's very corporate obviously, but you like to imagine somebody cares that they're making art/entertainment there. Anyways, they'll be publishing comics I guess out of intertia or something, so hopefully we keep getting some good ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aren’t we literally in the middle of a story arc in regards to IDW Sonic though?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I don't think IDW Sonic is wrapping up right now or anything. I just wanted to wax philosophical. I also haven't read any IDW Sonic, but I am enjoying Ian Flynn's Mega Man. Gonna hop on the Sonic stuff from their Archie crossover.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't think IDW Sonic is wrapping up right now or anything. I just wanted to wax philosophical. I also haven't read any IDW Sonic, but I am enjoying Ian Flynn's Mega Man. Gonna hop on the Sonic stuff from their Archie crossover.

Read IDW Sonic then, I just caught up with it recently and it’s good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I was gonna read Ian Flynn's stuff in order from around Archie 252, even though it's two different continuities. But I could always mix and match, have the first IDW Sonic trade on the pile too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Yeah the Mega Man cancellation was way more disappointing than anything Sonic imo. It was too good for this world.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It might be because FF XIV is my world right now but New 252 Archie Sonic felt like it ended just a little bit after the end of its initial expansion, if that makes any sense, so there's less of a feeling of emptyness about how that ended than Archie Megaman which was just into act 1 of its MM IV adaptation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are we still getting an issue this month or is it confirmed that IDW Sonic is officially dead as per recent events?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The next issue should be out tomorrow and they've been posting more previews of future issues and at least one more one-off special:

https://twitter.com/idwsonicnews/status/1657067482857734144

The Sonic team did get hit by the recent IDW cuts though, as they let go Shawn Lee, the main letterer on the books.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
IDW's probably on its last legs, yes, but Sonic (as in the comic's story) will probably continue one way or another regardless.

This isn't like Archie where Archie Sonic was dependant on them not wanting to waste their time making a godsawful in-name-only parody of their namesake.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I hope the creative team and the comic survive this mess. And I hope Shawn Lee gets back in the industry quickly, either back in this comic or elsewhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The fact that Sega seems to acknowledge the comic as canon (Tangle and Whisper are playable in two of the mobile games and the former gets an offhand mention in Frontiers) might help its survival as well.

Though if IDW does go under, what other publisher could possibly pick it up?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 16, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dark Horse? I guess?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

The fact that Sega seems to acknowledge the comic as canon (Tangle and Whisper are playable in two of the mobile games and the former gets an offhand mention in Frontiers) might help its survival as well.

Though if IDW does go under, what other publisher could possibly pick it up?

eh... it'll help the characters (iirc after the Penders case Sega got smart and their deal with the comics is "we won't get fooled again, we own every OC from here on out") and I'm sure Tangle/Whisper/etc will reappear somewhere, but probably not the comics... at least for a while. Like, if IDW dies and if/when Sonic goes elsewhere, it'll probably go just like the transition from Archie to IDW where there's a reboot and they start from the end of a game again (like IDW did with Forces). I mean I'm sure there's probably some case somewhere of a company buying a license from another publisher and continuing the stories from the previous owner/publisher, but gently caress if I can think of one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
IDW had done continuations of the Marvel runs for both Transformers and GI Joe

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Didn't they do continuations of the Mirage TMNT run, too? Though I think that had at least one of the original two creators on it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Didn't they do continuations of the Mirage TMNT run, too? Though I think that had at least one of the original two creators on it.

Nah, IDW's TMNT is its own continuity, though taking a lot of influence from almost everything that came before. And Eastman is still involved, yes!

I haven't read them, but the Gargoyles comics based on the Disney cartoon have also moved around to different publishers while continuing the same story.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Breadallelogram posted:

Nah, IDW's TMNT is its own continuity, though taking a lot of influence from almost everything that came before. And Eastman is still involved, yes!

I haven't read them, but the Gargoyles comics based on the Disney cartoon have also moved around to different publishers while continuing the same story.

To be more specific regarding Gargoyles, the first run of comics it had by Marvel back in the 90's were their own thing and aren't considered canon(though the current license holder is doing a reprint of them), then about 15 years ago or so Slave Labor Graphics got the rights and Greg Weisman(one of the main writers for the show) did them as continuing off from where he left off*, however after about a year or two(I forget how long) Disney jacked up the licensing fees so that run ended prematurely(Disney does this a LOT with their licensed comics in the US for some odd reason), and now we have the current run which continues off more or less where the SLG run left off, which means if you haven't read those comics jumping right into the new run is going to be a touch confusing as there's been quite a few shifts in the status quo between where Season 2 ended and this run picks up

*he got fired off the show after the first episode of the third season so only the first two seasons are considered canon to these comics(which start off with a retelling of that singular season 3 episode he did)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Saoshyant posted:

I hope the creative team and the comic survive this mess. And I hope Shawn Lee gets back in the industry quickly, either back in this comic or elsewhere.

I feel like there's a decent chance he'll continue to work on at least some of his books (he was working way more than Sonic, like being the main letterer on IDW TMNT) as a freelancer (one the Sonic editors have signal boosted various "well I don't have a job now, I'm open for work" type posts from various people laid off, including Shawn). Probably pays less than doing that on top of being one of IDW's Art Directors of Design & Production but maybe he'll be able to finangle finding a design job elsewhere.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So Nigel Kitching of Sonic the Comic fame has been announced as one of the writers on the upcoming 900th Adventure special, while Richard Elson of StC fame is drawing one of the covers

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1659570095453257730

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I am surprisingly here for Eggman pulling guns.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Why are they calling it the 900th? What and how are they counting to this number?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wasn’t aware that Archie, IDW, and Fleetway together added up to anywhere close to 900 so I’m curious what they’re talking about as well

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's a combination of Archie, Fleetway, IDW, and some rando minor promo comics from Sega themselves (like that early American comic with the Kintobor origin, and the Sonic Forces mini comics that Ian wrote). The trick is that they're counting reprints (like the final year and a half of StC, and Archie's Sonic Super Special Magazine and Digests)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's just an excuse to get everyone together for a big All Star issue while there's still money and sales to be made. Don't think too deeply into it, just enjoy it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, Shadow actually got to have a Big drat Hero moment for once in this comic. Maybe this is a sign Sega is finally loosening their weird restrictions regarding the character.

Next time it seems we’re starting an Amy & Knuckles story, which is a unique combo to say the least

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Huh, Shadow actually got to have a Big drat Hero moment for once in this comic. Maybe this is a sign Sega is finally loosening their weird restrictions regarding the character.

Next time it seems we’re starting an Amy & Knuckles story, which is a unique combo to say the least

Yeah, we haven't had one of those since the Unleashed adaptation in Archie! I wonder what they've got planned for this go-around?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Zibraltar posted:

IDW has been ailing for some time, hard to say what the problem is but I'm guessing their scale was off. Gonna send some support to Shawn Lee. I'd encourage yall to do the same, its a wild freelance world out there.

It def seems like now that at the very least Sonic's editorial (he was on a buncha other IDW books so who knows for his other gigs) are keeping him on as letterer, just freelance now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do I want to read the last ronin followups/sequel?

(I liked the initial story)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 9, 2023

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
This is Archie related but I figure this is the right place.

Archie was in the middle of reprinting all their Sonic issues in graphic novel format when they lost the license. They had a couple different runs started so as a result a bunch of comics are only available as individual issues or as digital downloads and the runs are somewhat scattershot. Specifically, looking at the Ian Flynn era only, they had these in the main series:

Sonic Saga Series Volumes 1-7 (issues 162-194)
Sonic: Genesis (issues 226-229)
Worlds Collide (issues 248-251)
Sonic the Hedgehog Volumes 1-4 (issues 252-267)
Worlds Unite 1 (issue 273)
Worlds Unite 2 (issue 274)

and these in the Universe series:

Sonic Universe Volumes 1-8 (issues 1-32)
Worlds Collide (issues 51-54)
Worlds Unite 1 (issue 76)
Worlds Unite 2 (issue 77)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Archie_Comics%27_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_publications

I've always been a bit disappointed that they never finished these runs because I much prefer graphic novels. I even toyed with the idea of getting my comics bound into hardcovers but balked at the effort required to do it nicely.

So I was pretty surprised when I came across these eBay listings a few weeks ago:

"Sonic Saga Series Volume 8" (issues 195-218) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235482906496
"Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 5" (issues 268-272 and 276-291) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235480751348

They're bootlegs. I immediately snapped up a copy of each and now that I have them I can report that they seem pretty well made. The print quality isn't 100% up to that of the originals (it's slightly desaturated and a little fuzzy and the paper isn't glossy) but it's very good and extremely readable. Check out the pics and videos in the listings for a better idea.

I got in touch with the seller and they're planning to continue filling in the gaps starting with the rest of the main series then moving on to Universe. They're currently sold out of one of the books but they do say they're willing to print more if there's demand so if this is something that interests you go ahead and send them a message.

EDIT 2024/04/04: They just added another one:

"Sonic Saga Series Volume 9" (issues 219-225 and 230-247) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235506307748

acetcx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 4, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also has it been announced yet when the main book is coming back after the current Fang miniseries is done?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Also has it been announced yet when the main book is coming back after the current Fang miniseries is done?

I don't think there's been any good news on that front.

I'm surprised this Fang miniseries (which has been a good one) even came out. IDW seems to be on its last legs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think there's been any good news on that front.

I'm surprised this Fang miniseries (which has been a good one) even came out. IDW seems to be on its last legs.

poo poo, hope the main book doesn’t get cancelled outright then (but it wouldn’t exactly surprise me either)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 3, 2024

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I'm going to be super sad if another Sonic series gets cancelled. I really enjoy the current run and all the new characters. Sigh.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Larryb posted:

Issues 69 and 70 have release dates for May and June so it won't be that much longer. A spring related one shot also just got announced so it's not dead yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Level Seven posted:

Issues 69 and 70 have release dates for May and June so it won't be that much longer. A spring related one shot also just got announced so it's not dead yet.

Yeah, I just checked the Amazon page and was about to post that myself (May 15 to be exact unless it gets delayed for some reason)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Level Seven posted:

Well the last Archie ones had release dates too but never came out...

acetcx posted:

I'm going to be super sad if another Sonic series gets cancelled. I really enjoy the current run and all the new characters. Sigh.

I guess on the upside this time since Sega now owns all the characters and won't have some kind of Penders mess again, theoretically if IDW went under another publisher could just get the same writers/publishers to come over there and even (again, theoretically) pick up the story from exactly where it ends (that particular part will never happen though).

I guess the real question is is there enough financial interest for another company these days to pick up the Sonic license?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the IDW comics are at least semi-canon since Tangle gets a mention in Frontiers (in both the English and Japanese versions no less) and both Tangle and Whisper are playable in a few of the mobile games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Well the last Archie ones had release dates too but never came out...

How far along was Mega Drive #3?