Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

#5 dropped.

If they're doing what I think they're doing with this whole Eggman has amnesia thing (IE: Mr Tinker isn't an act but his actual personality is showing though, like how he mentioned Eggman Land and how he was acting in #4, and Shadow/Rouge and Sonic coming to blows will cause Eggman to "Snap" then that's some drat handy work by our boys, I'll say that much.

That's a really interesting angle! I can't accept that Eggman has amnesia, but I love the moral quandary that stemmed from it as well as Sonic and the Chaotix's differing conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m honestly thinking it could go ether way but will probably be rendered moot by Sonic and Shadow coming to blows.

That said, I’m now sort of convinced “Doctor Claw” is not Eggman in any capacity due to his whole comment about wondering if that trope of Badniks simply found that settlement or if they’re on to him and have come to save Eggman

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe he pulled a Superman III on himself and the evil, hyper-competent portion of Eggman is in the chair. Sonic and Friends would then have to decide if it's better to keep Mr. Tinker as his own being but have a more powerful enemy, or to but them back together in order to deal with a more bumbling and amiable Eggman.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dammit Shadow, you never take Rouge anywhere nice. It's always "go here, murder this person." Never dancing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the answer to the question only those who payed attention to the solicits asked
https://twitter.com/Jamal_Peppers/status/1010007008739840000

also the covers for issue 6 are great
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1009103617226395648

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ian Flynn must be really hanging in there after basically having to rebuild from rubble 3 or 3 times.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, this comes off as an easier time of it given he has a lot less legal (also, insanity) to be bothered by.

So, Issue 6; Good fight between Sonic and Shadow with some nice stuff there, the reveal is interesting and I'm interested to see where Flynn's taking this.

All in' all good stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robot Style posted:

Maybe he pulled a Superman III on himself and the evil, hyper-competent portion of Eggman is in the chair. Sonic and Friends would then have to decide if it's better to keep Mr. Tinker as his own being but have a more powerful enemy, or to but them back together in order to deal with a more bumbling and amiable Eggman.

Was thinking something like that, that Mr Tinker has Eggman's more bumbling, friendly and creative side along with his better traits, and also not a hell of a lot of memory because there's not a hell of a lot of good to draw from with him. He's basically acting out his usual MO minus the world domination part. Combining the two might make a more Sonic Boom-esque Eggman compared to the original comic Eggman basically boiling down to being a brutally ruthless manchild.

Though as a counterpoint, it's not the first time a comic Eggman/Robotnik has coexisted with a duplicate of himself, robotic or otherwise, whether an imposter or some kind of backup. And the Eggman in the command chair has been noted to be less efficient at running the Badnik armies than they're used to, which could mean either an imposter or maybe that a lot of Eggman's skill is in the Mr Tinker side of him and he's using toys he doesn't fully remember how to control.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
#7 is out and basically with it the first full arc of IDW Sonic comes to a close.

It confirms that (big spoilers) Eggman is Mr. Tinker and the Eggman we've seen on the airship fleet is actually Metal (In his Neo Metal incarnation, which is neat). and the blow out fight was pretty drat good all said.

There is a lot of bitching about it online though (compounded by some scuttlebut from SDCC about how they're not allowed to bring classic sonic chracters, I think?) though most of it is the same tired 'THIS ISN'T DIFFERENT, BRING BACK THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS" nonsense that has sort of bounced off me at this point.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 25, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was pretty great. I always enjoy when Metal Sonic gets to be an actual character.

And yeah, everyone's angry that they can't use Metal, Ray, Bean, Bark, and Nack. Which, is, yanno, Sega's prerogative. If they're gonna treat Classic Sonic as his own sub franchise then it makes sense to give him his own cast of characters.

This isn't even ruling them getting a chance to appear in the comics. What if Sega gives permission to do a Classic story later down the line? Just wait and things will be worth it, I say.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 25, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly I don't care, if it happens, great if not :shrug:.

The whole fracas sounds a lot of misspent energy getting angry that Megadrive's still not, and will never be, complete.

Oh wait, Base Metal counts a classic character?
Huh, that explains that then.

On a more positive note, is it just me or did the art get a kick up the pants for this issue?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 25, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh? Oh, no. Sorry. That was a typo. I meant Mighty. Metal is obviously fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

That was pretty great. I always enjoy when Metal Sonic gets to be an actual character.

And yeah, everyone's angry that they can't use Metal, Ray, Bean, Bark, and Nack. Which, is, yanno, Sega's prerogative. If they're gonna treat Classic Sonic as his own sub franchise then it makes sense to give him his own cast of characters.

This isn't even ruling them getting a chance to appear in the comics. What if Sega gives permission to do a Classic story later down the line? Just wait and things will be worth it, I say.

I think they can use Bean, Bark and Nack. They were even referenced back in issue 3. Sonic compared Rough and Tumble to the Hooligans. their group name in the Archie comics.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they can use Bean, Bark and Nack. They were even referenced back in issue 3. Sonic compared Rough and Tumble to the Hooligans. their group name in the Archie comics.

Honestly, don't rule out anyone appearing period, things change a lot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

Honestly, don't rule out anyone appearing period, things change a lot.

True this.

Anyway liked the issue. Neo Metal has always looked cool and it was a shame he was not fight able in the original game. Also like that they explained why Metal Sonic was not actually in Forces and an illusion was used instead.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did not realize issue 8 dropped so early.

It was good however.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, I gotta say the way the plot's going is really interesting so far, and the writing is still hilarious.

Metal Sonic commanding the entire robot army is really cool to me for some reason, and it'd be cool as gently caress to see that in a game. Basically Sonic Heroes again except he's not pretending to be Eggman the whole time

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xad posted:

Yeah, I gotta say the way the plot's going is really interesting so far, and the writing is still hilarious.

Metal Sonic commanding the entire robot army is really cool to me for some reason, and it'd be cool as gently caress to see that in a game. Basically Sonic Heroes again except he's not pretending to be Eggman the whole time

The captions and such even call him the New Eggman Empire Leader, and Neo Metal works really well as an evil Overlord look.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never been 100% into the name "Metal Sonic" because before I played any games he was in, I was familiar with the character from the comics where he had what I considered a much cooler name, "Metallix, the Metal Sonic":

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
All issues except for the newest are currently on sale for 99 cents each on Comixology, for anyone like me who needed an excuse to finally get around to reading this.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the heads up Protodude.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New issue is up, it was fun, largely setup but fun.

Also despite showing up on the variant cover. Omega, Gemerl, and Cream do not show up this issue.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I still can't believe they had Neo Metal quoting "What I'm Made Of" to Sonic and Knuckles. :3:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Agent Rush posted:

I still can't believe they had Neo Metal quoting "What I'm Made Of" to Sonic and Knuckles. :3:

I can, because it's awesome and the only logical choice for cheesy banter.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TriffTshngo posted:

I can, because it's awesome and the only logical choice for cheesy banter.

Also Ian loves referencing songs and the like in his work, hence why a few issues ago, Sonic said "I never fear the fall" in reference to His World

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Onmi posted:

Also Ian loves referencing songs and the like in his work, hence why a few issues ago, Sonic said "I never fear the fall" in reference to His World

I know he pretty much copied word-for-word one of the Megas' songs for one of the Megaman comics. It was a p. dope reference, my dude.

ROBOT HAIR!

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3uEdXMfnM

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh this looks cool.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Speaking of things that look cool
https://twitter.com/Mana_Books_/status/1052959770674651138

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

"Picture this: it's 2002 and you are 8."

Motherfucker this youtuber is almost exactly as old as I am :stare: that's creeping me out way more than it should

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Issue 10 is out.

It's pretty awesome. Metal has further improved himself.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tracy Yardley's art was kind of bad conveying the hectic action going on, though. Otherwise, pretty good issue.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New issue is out and okay that's just finitiveus

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well he looks different. He may act different once we see more of him as well.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he looks different. He may act different once we see more of him as well.

I'm not saying that as some sort of indictment, just that I find it funny how uncanny the resemblance is

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Fun fact: Finitevus was not the first example of a villainous white-furred echidna scientist.

As shown here:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Finitevus was not the first example of a villainous white-furred echidna scientist.

As shown here:

the fancy threads, tiny glasses, and choice in jewelry are more Finitevus than Zachary.

Also Starline being a monotreme is pretty good evidence it's intentional.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For those who have seen it, This is the new guy. He's a platypus

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have watched enough Phineas and Ferb to know there's something very weird going on with that particular animal species.