Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean just because knuckles keeps showing up doesn't mean they keep referencing the events of sonic 3. Sonic adventure 2 is canon for sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog. The next game, sonic 2006, presents a shadow that has experienced the character growth of shadow and heroes, but never brings up Maria or even the ultimate lifeform stuff iirc

Heck, we even have a good example of how Knuckles' backstory can become this same sort of hazy canon in the Sonic Boom tv series: In that one episode where Knuckles briefly got amnesia it's explicitly mentioned he's the last of his kind and originally from Angel Island. While this is a spin-off canon with its own status quo, it's kind of a good example of how the series tends to handle continuity: The broad strokes events of the games are canon as it relates to characterization (Knuckles is the last of the Echidnas and guards the Master Emerald, Shadow is the Ultimate Life Form created by Gerald Robotnik, Sonic rescued Amy from Metal Sonic that one time and now she's his number 1 fan) but actual world details and specific bits of characterization established in any of those games is subject to change based on the whims and needs of whatever new game they're making (Do Sonic and co. live alongside humans? Is Shadow a level-headed protector of humanity or an angry Vegeta-type? Is Amy a crazed Sonic stalker, his main love interest or a close friend who just likes flirting with him one-sidedly?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I've been catching up with the bumblekast and Ian literally says in a recent episode

quote:

What used to work in the archie days doesn't necessarily work today, and stuff that I would never get away with back then is much more closer to acceptable now so I'm kind of relearning what is tolerable and what's not.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

That's always felt like a lie on Ian's part as the character writing and world building since the IDW jump feels way more constrained and limited in what it can do than Archie ever was

I know I'm getting kinda hung up on this but just a few days ago Ian mentioned this on the bumblekast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCq95kIRST4&t=96s

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
First two pages of Issue 50

https://twitter.com/idwsonicnews/status/1537209313311211520?s=21

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Number 50 came Was a good one. Starline is probably out of the picture for a while. I don't know what will happen with Surge and Kit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh interesting thing from Flynn this was the end of Starline, barring fans begging for his return this issue was his death

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh interesting thing from Flynn this was the end of Starline, barring fans begging for his return this issue was his death

Pfft. No body no death, I've been in this game too long to accept otherwise. I gotta say seeing Eggman dismantle him was fun though. It's nice to see him actually be a threat from time to time instead of, well, modern Eggman.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Pfft. No body no death, I've been in this game too long to accept otherwise. I gotta say seeing Eggman dismantle him was fun though. It's nice to see him actually be a threat from time to time instead of, well, modern Eggman.

Things are left open for his return by lack of a body. But Flynn outright said he won’t be back unless it’s demanded.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah there's really nowhere else to go with the character. He had his shot, and Eggman took him apart with ease.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Seeing Eggman absolutely body Starline with practically no effort made my entire day

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nothing quite as pure as Menacing Eggman. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man twitter is downright toxic.

And the 250 characer, 0 depth tirates about Sonic's character in reaction to #50 are not helping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

And the 250 characer, 0 depth tirates about Sonic's character in reaction to #50 are not helping.

Who would've thought that Sonic fans could be so crazy? :imunfunny:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know, stupid me, but still.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

What are they upset about?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not checking but I'm guessing they think he should be more torn up about Surge apparently but totally not dying in front of him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

I'm not checking but I'm guessing they think he should be more torn up about Surge apparently but totally not dying in front of him

From what I've seen it's more that a lot of people are starting to feel that Sonic's IDW characterization makes him come off as either an idiot or a callous rear end in a top hat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

From what I've seen it's more that a lot of people are starting to feel that Sonic's IDW characterization makes him come off as either an idiot or a callous rear end in a top hat

But Sonic is both of those things! He's the literal embodiment of 90's Tude.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

But Sonic is both of those things! He's the literal embodiment of 90's Tude.

Well yeah but specifically that it's taking him over to the unlikable side of that type of character

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also a lot of "Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Japanese Sonic's personality has always been that he's aloof and more interested in freedom than any kind of traditional structured morality.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Sonic has had a lot of adventures, as many as two at least. He's probably allowed to be blase about a 5 minute encounter with a weird new jerk that wants to kill him that ends with their apparent death through no real fault of his own.

These things just kinda happen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Starline is the Frank Grimes of Sonic the Hedgehog

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nodosaur posted:

Starline is the Frank Grimes of Sonic the Hedgehog

...kinda funny considering I just realised I hear him as Sideshow Bob.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Blockhouse posted:

Japanese Sonic's personality has always been that he's aloof and more interested in freedom than any kind of traditional structured morality.

Don't Tread on Me (you will get spines in your foot)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1549454184847654914

New side-series announced; Scrapnik Island;
"Scrapnik Island sees Sonic and Knuckles battling new foes and crossing paths with some old enemies, including Mecha Knuckles, as they fight to survive on a robot island designed to be their nightmare."

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1549451250768519170
https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1549451467949588482

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Knuckles OVA Hat is simply too powerful to stay dead.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I miss having a second running book like we had with Sonic Universe under Archie, but having the occasional mini series is a decent replacement.

This one sounds neat. If Sonic is actually a main character in it, I wonder if he'll be in the main book at the same time. He's been almost entirely absent from the other mini series, right?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Notably this miniseries is from a new writer (well technically he's making his sonic debut writing a story for this year's Annual, but you get what I mean), while all the previous ones were written by Ian (even the ones from after Evan took over the main book)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Danial Barnes. New to Sonic but not a neophite in comics, having worked on Boom's Agresiko and something called The Black Mage which is a seo nightmare so I dunno if thats a webcomic or whatever.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Danial Barnes. New to Sonic but not a neophite in comics, having worked on Boom's Agresiko and something called The Black Mage which is a seo nightmare so I dunno if thats a webcomic or whatever.

https://www.dannybarnes.net/the-black-mage

It was part of a comics Humble Bundle a few months back, haven't had a chance to read it though.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The twitter fuss seems to be that Surge specifically calls out sonic's repeated decisions to let his enemies live, and also blames him for people like Starline. A lot of people on twitter seem to think that sonic's beliefs and how he defends them to her are stupid. Like someone here said earlier it's the same "why don't batman kill the joker?" argument.

I think it's a good conversation to have. A theme that comes up a lot in the comic has been challenging sonic's morals and decisions. He is called out for his decisions by several characters throughout the comic,, including Espio, Shadow, Zavok, Eggman, and now by Surge. He repeatedly faces the consequences of his choices firsthand. Despite these constant challenges Sonic remains committed to his morals.

The comic is purposely presenting this argument and isn't saying which side is correct. I feel like it's a central theme to the whole comic, so I'm surprised people are only arguing now. I'm personally pretty interested to see if they go somewhere with this, since it seems like they have been.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 29, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like they've already taken it about as far as they can go, since Sonic has already concluded "yeah, this is just how I am, and that's what I'll do, even if the consequences aren't always ideal."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The problem is no meaningful decision can be made due to pressure from above. Sega isn't going to approve "Eggman dies" and like the Joker the suspension of disbelief gets worse after every offense. I agree that it's fun writing but it can't go anywhere.

"You can't kill the Joker, everyone deserves redemption!" can work before he kills, or after one tragedy. "Every life has value" starts to get morally strained when your one life keeps removing other one lives. Was that one life and the possibility of redemption worth five other one lives? The answer to the Joker question is the state executes him after about the second murder and especially the second mass murder. Of course DC isn't gonna do that for business reasons.

And hell, Eggman almost destroyed all life on the planet as his first act. At least the glitch trio are OCs and the writers can play with them and have them change. Sonic and Eggman will be referencing Mr Tinker and morality in a circulatr argument 100 issues from now with 2-5+ more tragedies chalked up. It was fun banter for Surge, specifically, who is open ended at this point.

Not that I can say which moral decision is right but I do think about the Joker question from time to time as a mental exercise. And then again maybe fans should just accept that this is what they sign up for, nobody plays Mega Man games waiting for Dr Wily to finally reform. ... Then again then again the Sonic writers would have to stop bringing it up as well, at least as far as Eggman goes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I like when the cartoon hedgehog runs really fast and eats chili dogs and the fat guy gets angry at him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Doomykins posted:

The problem is no meaningful decision can be made due to pressure from above. Sega isn't going to approve "Eggman dies" and like the Joker the suspension of disbelief gets worse after every offense. I agree that it's fun writing but it can't go anywhere.

"You can't kill the Joker, everyone deserves redemption!" can work before he kills, or after one tragedy. "Every life has value" starts to get morally strained when your one life keeps removing other one lives. Was that one life and the possibility of redemption worth five other one lives? The answer to the Joker question is the state executes him after about the second murder and especially the second mass murder. Of course DC isn't gonna do that for business reasons.

And hell, Eggman almost destroyed all life on the planet as his first act. At least the glitch trio are OCs and the writers can play with them and have them change. Sonic and Eggman will be referencing Mr Tinker and morality in a circulatr argument 100 issues from now with 2-5+ more tragedies chalked up. It was fun banter for Surge, specifically, who is open ended at this point.

Not that I can say which moral decision is right but I do think about the Joker question from time to time as a mental exercise. And then again maybe fans should just accept that this is what they sign up for, nobody plays Mega Man games waiting for Dr Wily to finally reform. ... Then again then again the Sonic writers would have to stop bringing it up as well, at least as far as Eggman goes.

The problem isn't Eggman getting away without punishment, it's that it keeps being done in ways that makes Sonic look like either a moron and/or an rear end in a top hat, which is especially aggravating here cause it should be really easy to have Eggman get away in ways that leave Sonic without direct blame

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sometimes the fat angry guy has funny robots that do things badly that make the fat angry guy even angrier.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

I like when the cartoon hedgehog runs really fast and eats chili dogs and the fat guy gets angry at him.

:yeah:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I sort of wonder if they're setting it up like this to show why Sonic is kind of right: While Eggman doesn't win, he has massive access to resources and is incredibly petty. As he says, without lying, he could win by simply carpet bombing Sonic at any time. The Metal Virus got out of hand, but he didn't go out of his way to infect everyone all at once. He let it spread slower than he had to because it caused fear and panic. He enjoys the "game", and part of that seems to be that he gets away to play again. He doesn't want to just drop a bomb on Sonic and win, he wants to make it clear the Eggman Empire is superior.

Sonic trying to actively capture and imprison or execute Eggman would very likely be the point where it's no longer a game. If Eggman actually thinks he's directly targeted, as opposed to just a plan going belly up, we've seen that he stops playing around. Starline tried it, to show Eggman the "error of his ways", and got completely taken apart. When Eggman is serious, he has a lot of strings he can pull and resources he can use.

Eggman and Sonic playing a game is dangerous, but manageable. Eggman actually serious is far, far more dangerous because if he stops holding back, he pretty much just wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So what I'm hearing is Eggman is Vladimir Putin and Sonic is Noam Chomsky