Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Nodosaur posted:

Regarding such characters such as the Freedom Fighters, "the door is not closed", but they want the first year to focus on the game characters and new ones created for the comic.

I guess that's better than "No chance, stop asking".

For those who got the first issue, did you get it physical or digital? Did anything in particular stand out as great/terrible or is it just a decent comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I still can't believe they had Neo Metal quoting "What I'm Made Of" to Sonic and Knuckles. :3:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man Tangle and Whisper must have gotten really popular.

I mean, as far as 'Sonic Friends' go, they're not bad characters. It isn't too surprising they're getting pushed, especially as a way to distinguish the new comics from the old ones.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, it's cool to see the new villains get more characterization.

I wonder if Starline is playing Eggman for his own game or if he'll end up being the flunky who's more competent than his boss.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I liked issue 15: Jack Lawrence makes a great first impression

Yeah, the story's escalating pretty well. I'm sure we all saw what was coming after seeing the testing for the Metal Virus, but what happened to Rough and Tumble still affected me more than I thought it would.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

drrockso20 posted:

They'll probably be back to normal after this arc

Sure, I never thought we'd actually get to the empty metal landscape from Silver's future.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The new issue and the Tangle/Whisper book drop tomorrow, right? Anyone else planning to pick them up?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
When did the Egg Grapes first show up and what do they do? I don't remember hearing about them until Eggman tried to put Knuckles-as-Enerjak in one and he destroyed all of them.

Sonic The Hedgehog Zombie Apocalypse has been surprisingly affecting so far, hopefully they can keep up the quality through the comic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
This sort of thing is too widespread to not be undone anyway, the only way it could become the new status quo is if it were the final story of the comic series.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Read the new issue, things are still steadily moving toward a climactic moment of Sonic's infection finally getting the better of him. I doubt it will, but they're doing a fine job of acting like it could.

I wonder how Gemerl is going to dealt with seeing as the virus can't infect him. Either a mutation makes it so it does, or he just gets torn apart by a mob of zombots.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Good Listener posted:

I was about to ask if there are any TPBs out but I see a few already on Comixology. Would you all recommend maybe picking up the first 2 volumes to see how I like it? I've gotten a weird urge to read these new ones after hearing good about them.

If the sale's still on, absolutely. If it's ended, I'd still say yes if you're at all interested in Sonic. I still miss the Knothole Freedom Fighters, but the new series has been pretty good so far.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
New issue's out today. Omega seems a little more 'robot' and less prone to joking than before, but it's only his first appearance in the new series.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Surprised no one's talking about the tangle and whisper mini, given that it's been out for a week

Honestly, there wasn't much to it. I realize its supposed to set up their new adventures, but without any new insights into either character or their relationship its just dull.

That, and I find imposter hero storylines incredibly boring without some kind of twist or examination of the character. Check out "The Greatest Enemy in History" story from Mega Man Megamix for a good example of what I mean.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Kinda ironic seeing these opinions when for people who are less keen on IDW sonic, the first issue of the mini was considered a breath of fresh air

Huh, really? Who's saying that, and what were their complaints with the main comic? Most of what I've seen has been pretty positive regarding the new stories, aside from a few people (like me :() saying they missed the Freedom Fighters. This is actual curiosity, not trying to throw any kind of shade on anyone who doesn't like the new comics.

As for the mini, I just think this first issue doesn't bring anything new compared to the Tangle & Whisper story from the annual earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Generally the people complaining about the comic (at least those who are actually reasonable people rather than shitstiring Penders fanboys) are primarily complaining about the pacing.

Also they're generally found in the /sthg/ threads on 4chan's /vg/ board (alongside poo poo stirrers that are best left ignored), though there's a few on tumblr as well

Ah, that explains why I haven't seen anything before. I can see having a problem with pacing, especially now with last week's issue ending with Tails developing a cure for the Metal Virus but losing the hard drive it was on to a Zombot attack. Apparently we'll get the story of what happened to Restoration HQ in the next issue later this month, hopefully the story moves ahead as well and the whole issue isn't just a 'meanwhile...'.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though on the recent issue. Man did Starline just make a huge mistake. He does not know that Eggman can't control the Zeti and has bad blood with them. He's effectively just handing an army over to Zavok by getting them involved.

On the one hand, I never much cared for the Deadly Six. On the other, maybe these kind of interactions are just what they need to become more interesting.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

Ah, that explains why I haven't seen anything before. I can see having a problem with pacing, especially now with last week's issue ending with Tails developing a cure for the Metal Virus but losing the hard drive it was on to a Zombot attack. Apparently we'll get the story of what happened to Restoration HQ in the next issue later this month, hopefully the story moves ahead as well and the whole issue isn't just a 'meanwhile...'.

So the main book was only a 'meanwhile...' with the fall of Restoration HQ story, which is honestly pretty disappointing. On the other hand, the new issue of Tangle & Whisper goes into Whisper's backstory with the Diamond Cutters and is heading toward its climax pretty handily. It's turning out a lot better than I would have thought based on the first issue. The fact that it's not an impostor hero story makes it sit better with me.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I sat down and read through the chronological posts of that blog recently, and it was such a bizarre nostalgia trip. I'd read most of these back when I was younger, but had apparently forgotten most of the wilder stuff given that my reactions went from "Oh yeah, I remember liking Archie Sonic. Let's check this out" to "Wow, did I like this? Or was I just happy to be reading Sonic comics?"

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah it's super charming, what are you on about?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

I haven't been following the comic that closely, who's the angry platypus guy on the right?

That's new comic villian Dr. Starline, resident Eggman fanboy who's more practical than his idol. He was introduced at the start of the current arc, so far he's alright but there's not much to go on.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Finally sat down and read the new issue, this is a pretty good one. If it had come a little earlier, the Zombot arc would be moving at a pretty good clip. Its smoothed over some of my irritation from earlier and I'm willing see where it goes from here.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Notably this issue his frustration with Eggman is at its highest.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also his plan b seems to be better thought out.
I mean it’s almost guaranteed to go tits up, otherwise there’s not much of a story, but not for lack of foresight.

Yeah, Starline is shaping up to be an interesting contrast to Eggman's style of villainy. He's definitely leaning toward "flunky more competent than his boss", so I wonder if they'll end up directly antagonistic toward each other or if Starline will stay on pointing out how Eggman's ideas are badly implemented.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

I found it charming when he did it with the Sonic Heroes soundtrack in the Metal Sonic arc but I find it a little hokey/pandering here. But clearly others like it, to each their own I suppose.

To be fair, characters quoting song lyrics about them is kind of Ian Flynn's thing. It happened a few times in World's Collide and the Mega Man comics too, like when Protoman quoted "I'm not the Breakman" before fighting Mega Man in the Mega Man 3 adaptation.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Last issue of Tangle and Whisper (for now, probably, I get the feeling this was a test for a hypothetical relaunch of a universe side book) is out.

Easy highlight for me
”Oh crap, my alien augmented hammer lost its alien because it might have an issue with smashing a non-robotic being in the face. Oh wait, I have a club.” THWOMP

I liked this series, I hope a Universe style side book gets the green light. I love reading about how the other characters live their lives outside of the biggest crises with Sonic and Eggman.

Now I'm wondering if Mimic spends the whole Zombot crisis in that cell, if it breaks him out of it, or if he ends up another Zombot. I'm imagining an automatic feeder on it and giggling.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He tried to do that in their last meeting if I recall correctly.

Yeah, Sonic charged at Eggman fully intending to infect him.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ah, my mistake then.

It's cool, a variation of your idea actually came up in this issue anyway! It's an interesting discussion, but it did get sidelined for the action.

Perpetual Motion posted:

Issue #24 hosed me up super bad. It would have felt unearned if the miniseries hadn’t been a thing, but as it stands Tangle going out like the biggest drat hero ever and Whisper completely losing it as a result was absurdly effective. That was some One Piece tier ugly crying right there. The now nearly dead inside Cream being the one to console her at the end just made things even more sad.

Even though nobody is actually dead, there’s going to be all sorts of trauma to sort through in the end. Those are the stakes we’re dealing with here. Cream is hosed up now, and it’d be one hell of a cop out to walk that back. Thank you for the Christmas present, Ian. Depression is my favorite.

Yeah, there's been some padding in this storyline but this issue was really effective. Tangle, Whisper and Starline have been pretty great so far, so I'm interested to see where they go from here! If this series can make me care about any of the Deadly Six, I'd call them the greatest Sonic comics of all time. Also, the cover to issue 24 is fantastic.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 28, 2019

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

But when has rewriting reality ever failed Sonic in the past? :v:

Hey, that would have gone fine if Eggman could have accepted his loss like Wily did!

Just read the new issue, it's a pretty good build-up! Does anyone know who the Zombot next to Big the Cat is supposed to be? I think I recognize all the others, but if anyone wants to post a full list I'd appreciate that anyway. Starline getting dumped somewhere is a pretty great set-up for him going independent, and the repetition of the heroes being totally done with him and Eggman works surprisingly well given the destruction we've seen the metal virus cause.

I still couldn't care less about the Deadly Six, but maybe one of the upcoming fights will have a cool moment or two for heroes and villains.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 17, 2020

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

From left to right: Vector, Charmy, Jewel (Tangle's friend from her mini/the one she had trapped in the box last issue), Big, Tangle, Vanilla (Cream's mom, flanked by two random Chao (I don't think Cheese or Chocola got infected but I can't remember and they weren't with Cream this issue so maybe it's them?)), rando townie, Shadow, and two other randos.

I don't think the other shadows are anyone but hey who knows

Thanks! So I did have everyone else down, the angle on Vector is what threw me off.

nerdbot posted:

Yeah it's Cheese and Chocola. One of the random townies, the one with the horns, is the mayor of the town that took Eggman in

You couldn't pay me money to get me to care about the Deadly Six, but everything else that happened around them in this issue was cool.

Eh, I'm pretty sure I'd care if I were paid to. As it stands, they're still just a random bunch of boss monsters.

Simsmagic posted:

I have faith that the writing team can handle the Deadly Six better than Lost Worlds did, if nothing else.

Yeah, this is probably damning with faint praise, but I guess it's not wrong.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, another Blaze fan! :hfive:

Honestly the Archie series was much more uneven than these, but that's to be expected given that they started back when the Sonic franchise had fewer characters and elements to build on. It definitely picked up when Ian Flynn was made head writer, and he's done a pretty good job of maintaining the quality of the new series as well. I agree with you both on the new characters and the current plotline, though I'd say Tangle is my new favorite alongside Blaze and Rouge. I'm looking forward to this week's new issue!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, I can see that! I'd already liked Tangle, but the big hero spot in issue #24 certainly gave her a big boost for me. Then again I'm already used to original characters not in the games from the Archie series and the cartoons. The Tangle and Whisper series started a little weak but it picks up quickly, and as much as I'd love to see more of them I wouldn't mind if they made it into a Sonic Universe style exploration of other characters and their adventures outside of the biggest crises with Sonic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Have there been any announcements for Sonic/IDW's output in general? The new issue is supposed to be out tomorrow, I don't know if any of the comic companies have said how the pandemic will affect upcoming books.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wowie, talk about your "good news and bad news" situation! I hope this works out for IDW, I've been enjoying the comic so far and I'd hate for people to lose jobs.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, does anyone even remember this comic exists and what was going on? I do! A new issue came out this week, and I certainly wasn't expecting to be rooting for the Babylon Rogues.

Eh, it's not too surprising. The Babylon Rogues have always been more rivals than villains, even in their first appearance in Sonic Riders. It was pretty cool to see characters other than the game headliners in action though. I especially liked Espio vs. Zazz. The fact that this series has finally led me to remembering any of the Deadly Six's names beyond Zavok and Zeena certainly puts it in high spirits for me! If we get a bit of pathos from Zavok given that most of the other Zeti were left to be converted into Zombots, I might just have to actually call them the greatest Sonic comics of all time. :v:

Veotax posted:

Also, assuming this is genuine, Tangle and Whisper might be making the jump to an official Sonic game!

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1276804127155093504?s=20

I mean, it's a lovely free to play mobile game, but it's something!

Snaps and dang, wish my phone could play this!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The new Annual was released yesterday, did anyone else pick it up? I don't like it as much as last year's, though that's mostly due to its nature as a series of "Meanwhile" stories.

It does have some good points. Big's story is a decent recap of the entire run so far, and I'm interested to see what's going on with Nite and Don even if they're not nearly as cool as Tangle or Whisper. The art throughout ranges from pretty good to amazing, as well. For me, the height of it was the Metal Sonic story.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Huh, did no one else pick up the Annual or Issue #29? I'd talked a little about the Annual before, but did anyone else think 29 was kind of limp ending wise? I was interested in how things would wrap up, but Super Sonic beating Zavok in half a page was a let down and cracking a joke about it being one didn't help. The plan going off without a hitch until Sonic disappears right at the end is a neat set-up, but I doubt we'll get anything as interesting as Sonic planet hopping back home like in the Archie series. I'm not dropping the book or anything and I'm still anticipating Bad Guys, but overall I'd call the Metal Virus arc a C+, B- if I'm being generous.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
#30 was another weak issue, all that happens is the Deadly Six and Eggman escaping to fight another day and answering where Sonic went. If it doesn't pick up soon, I might just wait for Bad Guys and drop the main book for the trades.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are three sonic dash games at this point:

Sonic Dash is the original, a very straightforward three lane endless runner that's got a bunch of characters and ~4 concurrent progression systems, but is very fair and even- you will not feel much pressure to pay anything if you don't want to. Unlockable areas are mostly cosmetic, and almost all unlockable characters have only negligible stat differences; Big the Cat's shields last a bit longer than Metal Sonic, but Metal's magnet power lasts longer than Big's, etc. Periodic events let you unlock characters for free, and they're actually very doable with a bit of practice. Tangle and Whisper will probably come here eventually; almost all new characters are now introduced in Sonic Forces, then available in Sonic Dash a bit later on.

Sonic Dash 2: Boom is a sequel set in the Sonic Boom setting- it stopped getting new content after about six months, leaving the prices and XP curve in a very weird place that was intended to support a much more extensive game. Also a three lane endless runner. This game has a "sprite" system of permanent and one time boosts, and a short list of cycling events that you compete with a leaderboard and with basic goal numbers to win ascending prizes of rings and XP. The challenges and completion prices for things in this game are absurd; leveling up one character or sprite takes 300,000 rings, and, with the hyperoptimized method I've developed that relies on a set of already maxed sprites, I can get 10k rings only on a very good run. Event prizes are similarly trivial for the effort involved. Maxing every character and sprite costs millions of rings; the XP system caps at level 100 and is even more absurdly unbalanced. Tangle and Whisper aren't going to come to this game.

Sonic Forces is a multiplayer racing game built off of the endless runner construct. It's absurdly complex and introduces like five additional currencies and levels and special events and leagues and unlocks and boosts and special use items...I've not touched it because it's almost entirely competitive, but my impression is that since it's competitive, there's much more emphasis on pay to progress/win. Tangle and Whisper are being promoted as coming here.

Hey, thanks for this write-up! We finally upgraded our phones, and I've been playing and enjoying Sonic Dash and Forces. I'd say you're spot on with Dash, but Forces isn't that complex. The only in-game currencies are Cards(for unlocking and upgrading characters), Gold Rings(for paying for upgrades when you have enough cards), and Red Star Rings(the most important, for buying Gold Rings and opening chests for Cards without waiting for hours). Gameplay wise I haven't seen any issues with pay to win given that character upgrades are kind of minimal compared to keeping a good line and dodging obstacles. Maybe that gets worse at higher levels, though.

Cards and Gold Rings come easily enough, especially if you take the reward doubling ads every time they're available. My real problem with Forces is how stingy it is with Red Star Rings. You get maybe 7-12 of them in free chests a day, assuming you check regularly and don't lose out because your two free chest slots are full. The silver victory chests can be unlocked by watching an ad, but otherwise you need at least 80 RSR to unlock a gold or above unless you wait for hours to reduce the cost and can only have one chest counting down at a time. If you want to maximize your prizes without spending a lot of money, you get maybe 4 or 5 races at a time before you have to wait for hours to clear your four victory chest slots. I like the gameplay a lot, but only playing about 7 minutes or so at once counting loading and ad watches is a drag. I'm also annoyed that Tangle is just not as good as other characters because she doesn't have a mine item.:mad:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

There are several characters and outfits I've seen ads for in forces that I'm hoping for in Dash- Tikal, Chaos, red silk dress Blaze...gotta max em all.

I'm also still grinding at Dash 2. gotta max out five more characters and ten more sprites, a combined total of about five million rings...

Same here, Lantern Blaze looks so pretty...:allears:

I started with Tangle as my free Rare character and have been getting Whisper cards randomly, hopefully the event characters switch to "hard to get" and not "impossible".

Also, :stonk: Why would you do that to yourself, Discendo Vox?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

Completionism hits hard. Speaking of which, I was in the process of unlocking "Elite Agent Rouge" and was partway up one upgrade path when all of a sudden the next upgrade cost 84,600 rings.

For comparison, the most any other upgrade has ever cost, at the very end of a path, is 20k.

I can see that, good luck!

Is it the Dash Boost? That happened to me too, the next upgrade was 84,004 when all the others at that level were only 8,400. It feels like a bug, I sent a support e-mail about it so I guess we'll see if they do anything.

In Forces news, I just unlocked Whisper and she's bananas. Her standard projectile fires in front and behind her, her mine fires a projectile first before hanging in place, giving it two chances to hit and it can't hit you, and her dash lets her fly at will as long as it's active. It's such a contrast from Tangle!

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2020

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Curious about something regarding Dash, is that little ground pound move your character can do (swipe straight down after jumping) actually useful for anything?

You mean going straight into a roll after jumping? Later runs sometimes have low-clearance walls straight after pits, but other than navigating those I don't think it's anything special.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, it's a pretty good pay off for the Metal Virus arc and a great set-up for new stories. If we didn't have to wait so long between the end of the arc and this issue I wouldn't have been as annoyed. I'll agree with being wary of Sonic's amnesia, but I'll see where it goes/how long it lasts before I'll call it bad. Though I do like Starline still being loyal to Eggman and even more determined to prove his approach is better.

Also in Sonic mobile game news, Sonic Dash has an upcoming event to unlock Big the Cat and Sonic Forces is doing a re-run series for a bunch of the Special characters(existing characters in new costumes, one each day for the next few weeks or so.) I'd like to get them all, but Witch Rouge and Lunar Blaze are absolute priorities for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, it's honestly a shame to see Flynn leave on such a weak note overall, but I'm willing to give the new writer a fair shot. I'm also pretty interested in Bad Guys given where Starline ended up in the main series.

Larryb posted:

Technical question in regards to Dash, though I’ve confirmed it’s selected in iCloud and I have plenty of storage space, randomly I sometimes get a notification that iCloud save has been disabled. Any idea what’s up with that?

That's happened to me a few times on Android as well, I'm not sure what's going on because it re-enables again after I start the game. Also for anyone who got the Elite Agent Rouge bug in her leveling, it's apparently only for that one level. The next one after paying the inflated ring cost is the normal progression.

Is anyone else here playing Sonic Forces? Once I made it to 4,500 trophies, races suddenly became a lot less fun because for some reason when I get hit, I come to a dead stop and drop to 4th no matter what hits me or how well I was doing before. But when I hit other players (I even get the indicator at the top of the screen that says I hit them, so it shouldn't just be lag desync in positioning) they barely lose any speed at all. Only being able to win if I run a perfect race is frustrating as hell given that you can't select or filter courses.