Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

2000 AD veteran Richard Elson's art on Sonic the Comic was often really gorgeous.

Plenty of other artists were doing great work there, too. Nigel Dobbyn, another 2000 AD alum, inked, coloured and drew the Knuckles serial for a few years and produced some really lovely work.

STC definitely had some odd art at times, but when its lead artists were on, they were really on. I think the art quality was miles ahead of Archie.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dobbyn painted all his art, didn't he?

Roberto Corona also had a style I liked.

Painted then inked, I think, and it looks gorgeous. Just a really high level of craft.

I liked Roberto Corona too. His work was less flashy than Elson or Dobbyn, in that it didn't focus on building depth and weight around these heavily shaded characters, but he had a knack for appealing character design and composition.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The supporting cast definitely didn't always look very Sonic-y, but to be fair, there were other characters like Tekno and Shortfuse who were more proportionate to traditional Sonic designs. I guess I always figured Porker and Johnny were just tall.

I'm guessing they wanted to get away from the "tiny animals" look because those character designs just aren't very good, and they aren't consistent with the games anyway, just the scraps of non-game "canon" material Fleetway was originally working with when they were formulating the comic. The stubby little limbs and ovoid bodies aren't great for characters you might want to put in action scenes or dynamic poses.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As well, the idea of "Sonic character" being effectively a design template didn't exist for a few years at the start of the franchise. There was only Sonic, Eggman/Robotnik, and the animals you freed. Then there was Tails, who looked dissimilar enough from Sonic that you couldn't establish much of a template from the two of them. Knuckles didn't exist until eighteen months into the Fleetway comic's run.

This kind of affected the Archie stuff too. Antoine, Sally, Bunny et al used to look a fair shy from standard Sonic characters for what are probably similar reasons.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

I haven't been following the comic that closely, who's the angry platypus guy on the right?

That's Sonic the Hedgehog. He's cool, but watch out for his attitude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Knuckles Chaotix has an extremely cool aesthetic, some great music, fun core gameplay, and absolutely atrocious level design. The levels are often bizarre mazes that aren't built around the characters' movement abilities at all. It's an interesting study in how something can look very much like a classic Sonic game, without actually having the design sensibility of one.

It's still a cool game just because it's pleasing to look at and it's fun to run around as Espio or Vector, especially with a friend, but it's much less than the sum of its parts because of the bad level design.